Author Topic: My facial hair is disapearing in patches and isn't growing back ... HELP!!!  (Read 3055 times)

Offline kkdanno1978

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
 I am 25 going on 26 and I have been losing my facial hair since around march of this year. At first I thought it was just the heat from welding and that maybe after a little time away from the heat my facial hair would start to regrow, But I was wrong..

I actually started welding on the 15th of december of 03 and have never welded anything my whole life. I have been attending Tulsa Welding school since the 15th of dec and have now started a job welding with fluxcore..
I am really curious if the fumes from welding gases might be the cause or even the intense ultra-violet light.

I don't have any redness, bumps or pain where the hair has disapeared. Nothing at all but patches that started on the right side of my face and is slowly spreading to my chin to the left side. It looks like A fresh shave (in spreading patches) that seems like will never grow back... PLEASE HELP !!!

OH YEAH, I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GROW A FULL BEARD SINCE ABOUT 20, SO I KNOW THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG.  

Offline Val

• SkinCell Friend
  • Golden GasBag
  • Mmmmm ! The Weird One I am !
Re:My facial hair is disapearing in patches and isn't growing back ... HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday July 19, 2004, 04:29:47 AM »

:hi: kkdanno1978,

Welcome to our SkinCell cyber family. :)

I'm sorry I can't really help you with any answers, I can only ask have you seen a doctor about your facial hair problem?

If not then I think it might be a wise move to go see a doc to see if they can suss out why this is happening.

Hopefully someone here may have some other ideas to help you.

Please let us know how you get on.

Val :hugs:

Offline Bev

• SkinCell Grand
  • Cuddly Buddly
  • What will be will be!
« Reply #2 on: Monday July 19, 2004, 06:54:27 AM »
 :hi:kkdanno1978
Sorry I have no advice to offer.........Just wanted to welcome you to Skincell :)

You could have a look at these  pages
http://www.malehealth.co.uk/userpage1.cfm?item_id=200
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2506.html
http://www.medinfosource.com/expert/exp4110600b.html
« Last Edit: Monday July 19, 2004, 02:46:11 PM by Bev »
Love and Cuddles BevĀ 

Celery Peach

« Reply #3 on: Monday July 19, 2004, 09:32:11 AM »
 :hi: kkdanno

I was just having a search for it on the net, it does seem tho that most sites are only offering 'scalp hair loss' advice and of course wanting to sell products, I did find this passage tho, which does mention facial hair :

Alopecia Areata

The difference between pattern hair loss and alopecia areata is the difference between thinning hair and a complete absence of hair on parts of the body.  Patients suffering from alopecia areata have lost entire patches of hair, and not necessarily just on the scalp.  Other areas potentially affected are the eyebrows, eyelashes, beard, moustache, and pubic hair.  This autoimmune condition affects almost 2 percent of the U.S. population, or 4.5 million people.  It occurs in men and women of all ages and races, although it typically begins before age 20 in 60 percent of all patients.

"Alopecia areata can be psychologically devastating," stated Dr. Shapiro.  "The cause is unknown and there is no cure.  Fortunately, some patients develop only a few bare patches that regrow hair within a year."

Alopecia areata occurs in two forms that behave quite differently: a mild patchy form where less than 50 percent of scalp hair is lost, and an extensive form where greater than 50 percent of scalp hair is lost. The good news is that all affected hair follicles remain alive and have the capacity to resume normal hair production, sometimes even without treatment.  When treatment is required, there are several options, depending mainly on the patient's age and the extent of hair loss.  

For the mild, patchy alopecia areata the most common treatment is a monthly cortisone injection into the patches of bare skin.  Topical minoxidil may also regrow hair on the scalp, eyebrows, and beard when applied in the stronger, 5 percent solution. In addition, anthralin cream or ointment, a synthetic, tar-like substance often used for psoriasis, can be applied once a day to bare patches of skin, with new hair growth possibly occurring in eight to 12 weeks.

For the extensive alopecia areata where greater than 50 percent of hair is lost, cortisone pills are sometimes given for extensive scalp hair loss.  Cortisone taken internally is much stronger than local injections of the drug into the skin.  Topical minoxidil is again effective, as is topical immunotherapy, which produces an allergic rash that induces hair regrowth.

I hope this is of some help. Can I also say from a personal view, that I think that you were quite rare in being able to grow a complete full beard, most of the guys I know have at least one or two annoying (to them) little bare patches.  :)

Offline kkdanno1978

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday July 19, 2004, 09:14:42 PM »
 :) :)  I just wanted to say that I appreciated the response and that is a very good possibility that is the problem... get back in touch if you stumble apon any more info..

Thanks abunch,
        Daniel