Author Topic: Correct skincare for Seb. Derm?....oilfree moisturizer vs jojoba oil?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline abc2

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
Correct skincare for Seb. Derm?....oilfree moisturizer vs jojoba oil?
« on: Saturday June 05, 2004, 12:04:36 PM »
hi
what kind of moisturizer should i use after my daily face cleansing? i have used jojobaoil for almost a year, but i have just bought an expensive oilfree moisturizer because i have heard that oils are not good if you have seb. derm.... well the problem with me and normal moisturizers is that everytime i wash them off in the morning, my skin gets extremely dry(eventhough tons of oil has been produced on my skin during the night) - it is as if the natural oils binds to the moisturizer and washes of with it. My skin also gets red and all the white things on my skin show up, and it looks pale and very red in general. Should i use the jojobaoil or the moisturizer?? i dont know what to do

Offline abc2

• Registered member
Re:Correct skincare for Seb. Derm?....oilfree moisturizer vs jojoba oil?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday June 05, 2004, 12:34:44 PM »
also i have one more question to add...
It seems that i have some sort of "layer" of dead skin or whatever on my face. it is extremely hard to get rid of, and sometimes it forms into pimples. if i scrub it the area gets extremely red. and my cleanser wotn get it off. This layer is responsible for the kind of dryness i get.. i dont know if i should get it off or just leave it, because everytime i try to get it off my skin hurts. Am i supposed to try to get it off or what, and is it responsible for the redness?

Offline Hvns

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lemon-Aid
« Reply #2 on: Sunday June 06, 2004, 02:10:20 PM »
Hi Abc2
Have you seen a derm?
When Life gives you Lemons--Make Lemonaide!

Offline abc2

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday June 06, 2004, 08:44:21 PM »
yes, but they are all useless.... im on my own :-\

Offline Hvns

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lemon-Aid
« Reply #4 on: Monday June 07, 2004, 02:19:23 AM »
Sorry to hear that  :(  That must be very frustrating for you
Hvns
When Life gives you Lemons--Make Lemonaide!

Offline Gary G

• Registered member
  • Petrolhead
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday June 08, 2004, 06:03:07 PM »
I suffer from SD and used to have the permanent layer of dead skin like you describe.  I couldn't see it when it was dry, but as soon as it got wet, it was very white and had an almost sticky texture (meant I couldn;t go swimming due to the embarrasment).

I scraped it off with my nail and whilst my skin went very very red immediately afterwards, it did calm down to leave smooth skin, with no dead cells.

I probably shouldn't have done this, but I was desperate.  

Since then, I've been washing twice a day with Garnier Deep Pore wash and the dead cells haven't reformed and the problem has gone away.  My skin is very dry and flaky after washing, but if I don't apply moisturiser afterwards, the natural oils eventually (after a couple of hours) seem to do the job of a moisturiser and the flaking dry skin goes away...until the next time I wash.

Hope this helps???

Offline donnamaisey

• Registered member
  • Skin care therapist
    • Donna Maisey Skin Care
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday June 09, 2004, 09:33:28 AM »
Hi ABC2

I would go with the oil free moisturiser.  You say that when you wash in the morning your skin goes really dry.  It could be that the wash you are using is not PH balanced to your skin and is stripping away the protective acid mantle, which will then make the skin feel dry, but in addition you will produce more oil because that's what your skin will think it needs to do to resolve the problem.  It may very well be that your skin is dehydrated, in which case it is water that it need, so use things like gel hydrating masques. :)

Donna

Offline abc2

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday June 09, 2004, 11:45:42 AM »
i dont use any soaps or cleansers in the morning... just pure water...
I may just stop putting water on my face in the morning to avoid the dryness, and just suck up the oil with a sheet.