Author Topic: Official Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy Movie Blog  (Read 11260 times)

Offline Gary

• SkinCell Friend
  • Entertainment Guru
    • My Psoriasis
Re:Official Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy Movie Blog
« Reply #20 on: Thursday June 03, 2004, 07:30:09 PM »
These are my top 5 favorites, in order:

Red Dwarf - Seen every episode of all eight seasons.  Know the titles to most of the episodes by heart.  Dressed as Rimmer for last Halloween.  Own the first four seasons on DVD and have the rest, taped one by one, from public television.  Best... show... ever.

Brittas Empire - I have five or six episodes on a REALLY badly dubbed VHS NTSC tape that I bought off of eBay two years ago.
This show is literally impossible to find in the US.  Reason #1 to buy a region-free DVD player.  Another example of why Chris Barrie should be much more famous than he is.

Absolutely Fabulous - This was one of the first television shows that I saw that had drug references in almost every episode.  When Comedy Central picked it up for about five years, I watched diligently until the last episode (or was it?).  The second episode I ever saw involved Hookahs and a full-body nut & honey rubdown. ;)  How can you not watch more after that?  Seriously thinking of buying the DVDs.

Young Ones - I have the DVD set "Every Stoopid Episode".  Rick and Viv are the best characters.  They all grow on you, though.  Have yet to see Bottom (unless I look into a mirror backwards.)  NOTE: Rick was in an American movie called "Drop Dead Fred".  Of course, he stole the show.  Favorite episodes include "Boring" and "Interesting".  I also love the one where they're on a college game show and Viv looses his head on the train on the way to the show.  Tragically funny.

Mr. Bean - It's Rowan Atkinson at his best.  A Tour De Force of slapstick.  The first episode I ever saw was the Christmas Special where he gets the turkey stuck on his head - I nearly spit out my Egg Nog through my nose.  This is probably the most played BBC comedy series on american television next to Benny Hill since it was syndicated by HBO and had a strong 10 year run.
« Last Edit: Thursday June 03, 2004, 07:30:39 PM by Gary »
"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. " - Douglas Adams

Webmaster: My Psoriasis

Celery Peach

« Reply #21 on: Friday June 04, 2004, 08:47:40 AM »
 ;D Gary, well you choose the cream of the crop in my opinion  !

You know I love Red Dwarf, I did prefer the earlier episodes tho. I love the Cat ! I'm gonna get you little fishy  :lol: I cant remember the episode names but it was one where they were stuck in some kind of time loop. I'm just starting my collection, but this lot are defo top of the list.

We really liked Brittas Empire too ! I dont think it did as well over here as Red Dwarf tho, very under rated. If I manage to get them on disk Gary, I promise to send you a parcel  ;) Its a shame about the region differences, the multi region players are getting cheaper over here now. I have one which is handy, as I have mistakenly bought US Disney discs from Ebay.  ???

I'v always liked Jennifer Saunders, from when she teamed up with Dawn French in the eighties. I caught one of their old shows the other night and it still stands up today. French doing 'hannibal lecter'  :lol: Joanna Lumley is so hilarious in Ab Fab, they must have had such a laff making it. Poor Saffy  :lol:

Young ones ! Yeah classic, what did you think of Bottom then ? I have some of them on disc, all time fave episode 'gas man' it has me crying with laughter everytime  :lol:

I wasnt so keen on mr Bean, the first few episodes I thought were an original idea, but after that I find myself fighting the urge to just scream at the telly in frustration  ??? I think it was the very first one that I liked, with him in the church, sneezing and trying to wipe his nose on the inside of his jacket pocket  :lol: For me, Rowans best work was the Blackadder series, particular liked the second series, loved Queenie and the Nanny (Bernard)

Another one we really liked that didnt seem to get any good reviews is Game on http://www.british-sitcom.co.uk/game_on/index.shtml and of course, the early Men behaving Badly shows were really good. Just loved the one when he was actually debating tasting his girlfriends removed apendix  ???

Offline Gary

• SkinCell Friend
  • Entertainment Guru
    • My Psoriasis
« Reply #22 on: Friday June 04, 2004, 03:41:54 PM »
You know I love Red Dwarf, I did prefer the earlier episodes tho. I love the Cat ! I'm gonna get you little fishy  :lol: I cant remember the episode names but it was one where they were stuck in some kind of time loop. I'm just starting my collection, but this lot are defo top of the list.

I believe that was Future Echos.  Great episode.  The thing that amazed me, and really got me hooked, was the fact that each episode I saw was just as original as the last.  Season 7 was the weakest, but I liked Season 8 alot more than most RD fans seemed to.  Even at it's lowest points though, you cannot ignore the calssics that came from those seasons such as The Rimmer Experience ride and death getting kicked in the potatoes.

We really liked Brittas Empire too ! I dont think it did as well over here as Red Dwarf tho, very under rated. If I manage to get them on disk Gary, I promise to send you a parcel  ;) Its a shame about the region differences, the multi region players are getting cheaper over here now. I have one which is handy, as I have mistakenly bought US Disney discs from Ebay.  ???

I really have to break down get a region-free.  Too expensive right now in the US though ($400 or more when you can get a great DVD/MP3 player for under $50 now).

I loved Barrie's acting as Brittas. No matter what happens, he still has that poncy expression... and the way he speaks just fits that type of character.  He's always been a vocal genius IMHO.  He did like, every celebrity and political impersonation for Spitting Image... he was about 80% of those voices (and I remeber reading that his work on SI one of the reasons he was cast for RD).

The thing that hooked me on Brittas was that the characters were great (his poor wife), and the stories were outlandish... like the exploding eagle!  US television would still never allow a guy to walk out of a gym with eagle guts and blood all over his suit - however, that type of stuff dates back to Python in the UK (and probably even earlier).

I'v always liked Jennifer Saunders, from when she teamed up with Dawn French in the eighties. I caught one of their old shows the other night and it still stands up today. French doing 'hannibal lecter'

Saunders was a regular extra in the Young Ones.  I spotted her a couple of times - check out the episode Interesting, she's one of the party goers.  Chris Barrie and Norman Lovett (Holly) were also in the Young Ones in brief cameos - Barrie played a Ship Captain and Lovett played a guy on line at the bank.

I've got waaaaaaay too much extra time on the weekends, and too good of an eye not to spot these things.  :lol:

:lol: Joanna Lumley is so hilarious in Ab Fab, they must have had such a laff making it. Poor Saffy

Have you ever seen James and the Giant Peach?  Cool flic, and Lumley's in it... and crazy as ever.  

Poor Saffy?  I believe she's the one who got the honey and nut rub down by some handsome pool boy! (However, her future didn't look too bright in the last epsiode - and she does get a bit.. knocked around... during the series.)  I love how she never gets along with anyone her mom knows... and they all seem to equally despise her. :)

Young ones ! Yeah classic, what did you think of Bottom then ? I have some of them on disc, all time fave episode 'gas man' it has me crying with laughter everytime  :lol:

As I said, I haven't seen Bottom yet.  I only know that it exists - and that they did/do stage shows occassionally.  Looking at a picture of the two main characters at that link you posted... I noticed Rik right off... but could that be the same actor that played Viv with the coke bottle glasses???

I might have to go to Amazon and get me some Bottom! (Uh... that sentence kinda backfired... um... I mean...)

I wasnt so keen on mr Bean, the first few episodes I thought were an original idea, but after that I find myself fighting the urge to just scream at the telly in frustration  ??? I think it was the very first one that I liked, with him in the church, sneezing and trying to wipe his nose on the inside of his jacket pocket  :lol: For me, Rowans best work was the Blackadder series, particular liked the second series, loved Queenie and the Nanny (Bernard)

You know, I have never seen Blackadder.  I think I may have caught a few minutes of it once, but I might have to give this one a try.  I hear from some folks that it's better than Python.

The strange thing is, Python doesn't really appeal to me all that much.  I know that's like sacreligious to say in some british social circles, but I've seen flying circus several times, bought Holy Grail, and even though I liked it all - they didn't have that great of an impact on me.  I liked A Fish Called Wanda alot, though and always get excited when I read that John Cleese, Michael Palin, or Terry Gilliam are involved in a new project.

Speaking of Gilliam, I freakin' LOVED Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas - and hear that his new flic The Brothers Grimm is supposed to be killer... very "Gilliam-ish".

Have you seen Fear and Loathing?

Another one we really liked that didnt seem to get any good reviews is Game on http://www.british-sitcom.co.uk/game_on/index.shtml and of course, the early Men behaving Badly shows were really good. Just loved the one when he was actually debating tasting his girlfriends removed apendix  ???

I've also heared "The Office" this, and "The Office" that.  Is it really that good a series?  Sounds too much like the movie Office Space to me.
"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. " - Douglas Adams

Celery Peach

« Reply #23 on: Friday June 04, 2004, 08:53:11 PM »
Looking at a picture of the two main characters at that link you posted... I noticed Rik right off... but could that be the same actor that played Viv with the coke bottle glasses???
Sure is Gary ! You have got to get some Bottom, I reckon they just about picked up where Young ones left it with the humour. Yep, French & Saunders, Lenny Henry, Alexi Sayle, cast from the young ones, Viv Reeves & Bob Mortimer (and loads more I forget) were kinda the comedy brat pack from the 80's, a lot of them becoming popular from appearing on Saturday Night Live, which was a cult teen show. Have you seen Shooting Stars, a kinda mad quiz programme with Reeves & Mortimer ?

Rik Mayer made a cameo appearance in Blackadder also, in the second series as 'Lord Flasheart' , heres the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/blackadder/epguide/two_bells.shtml
You will just have to get some Blackadder Gary !! I think you'll love it. The wit is just so dry sometimes, I gotta post a few quotes :

Blackadder: We live in an age where illness and deformity are commonplace and yet, Ploppy, you are without a doubt the most repulsive individual I have ever met. I would shake your hand but I fear it would come off.

Blackadder: The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Nursie: If you weren't quite so big, it would be time for Mr and Mrs Spank to pay a short sharp trip to Bottieland.

The strange thing is, Python doesn't really appeal to me all that much.  I know that's like sacreligious to say in some british social circles, but I've seen flying circus several times, bought Holy Grail, and even though I liked it all - they didn't have that great of an impact on me.
I know what you mean, they are defo in my list of Classics, as are Faulty Towers but I do find them a bit dated now.

I cant get into the office, tho yes, it is really popular. Its cringeworthy stuff, another character I'd like to throttle as the lead role.  :D

Nope Gary, I havnt seen Fear & Loathing... I will have to keep an eye out for it  :)

Offline Gary

• SkinCell Friend
  • Entertainment Guru
    • My Psoriasis
« Reply #24 on: Friday June 04, 2004, 09:44:25 PM »
CP, You MUST SEE Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas.

Directed By Terry Gilliam - Starring Johnny Depp, Benicio Del Toro, and tons of actor and actress cameos (like Christina Ricci).

It's based on a book by writer/reporter Hunter S. Thompson (Fear & Loathing, Hell's Angels, the Rum Diaries) aka Raul Duke (who Uncle Duke from the comic strip Doonsbury was based) on his "experience" covering a dirt race in Las Vegas.  He takes his lawyer with him, and they proceed to order 40,000 in room service, skip out on hotels, and do every drug known to man - which they happen to have in a suitcase:

"We had two bags of Grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cacaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers.... also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls... but the only thing that worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge..." --- HST '71

If you buy it - pay a bit more for the Criterion Collection edition.  It's a two disk set, and has some spectacular extras - including Johnny Depp reading his first few letters to and from Hunter. :)

You really have to rent this ASAP.

Celery Peach

« Reply #25 on: Saturday June 05, 2004, 06:59:26 AM »
 :) I was just looking on Amazon Gary, it sounds just my sort of thing ! I dont think they have released it over here, as all thats offered is region 1, the criterion copy is 25 quid tho !  :o Its on my wish list, jeez its up to about £1500 now  :lol: Interesting that the original co writer for the screen play was the guy who did Sid n Nancy, tho Gilliam couldnt get along with him...

I really like Johny Depp, seen him in some good parts, one of my faves gotta be Sleepy Hollow, and of course Edward Scissorhands.

Dare I admit that I have just spent the last few days watching Buffy, season one  ::) Its was for my 10 year old really, hes in love with her  ;)