Author Topic: sebaceous hyperplasia causes/treatment?  (Read 62030 times)

Offline rustybear

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
sebaceous hyperplasia causes/treatment?
« on: Thursday April 29, 2004, 08:41:51 AM »
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could peovide some information on sebaceous hyperplasia. I am 33 and have this condition. While the web sites I have vistsed suggest it's harmless, the mental stress of all them bumps on my forehead and face is troublesome.

What are the causes as at young age? I do have oily skin so maybe that is a factor....Can the bumps be removed? how? Anyone experience this?

thanks

Offline Val

• SkinCell Friend
  • Golden GasBag
  • Mmmmm ! The Weird One I am !
Re:sebaceous hyperplasia causes/treatment?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday April 29, 2004, 12:14:54 PM »
 :hi: Rusty,

Welcome to our SkinCell cyber family. :D

Sorry to hear you're having this problem, and yes we can all empathise with the mental stress a skin condition brings with it. :hug:

I've found a little information for you and hope it is of some help.
http://www.dermnetnz.org/dna.acne/sebhyp.html

I noticed that as you say this is something that usually affects people from middle age onwards, so tried to find some information as to why someone in their 30's would get this condition. The only thing I have found that could be of any help is this article on Acne, which mentions the sebaceous glands, and wonder if this is what triggered your condition. :-\
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/spots.htm

Hopefully someone else here will have more information to give you. But I hope you stick around and join in with us posting all around our cyber home. This really is a friendly place to be as well as informative, and we do have a lot of fun around here as well. ;)

Val :hugs:

Gobe

« Reply #2 on: Friday April 30, 2004, 12:40:28 AM »
 :hi:

Welcome to Skincell Rustybear!

:)

Offline LorraineMc

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Friday June 11, 2004, 06:26:08 AM »
Hey Rustybear -

I have that problem too. It is getting progressly worse. My dermatologist tried Levulan with blue light (and red light). It burned my skin (normal), and worked a bit. But my cells are still multiplying. I wonder if it is an allergy to something. If you figure something out, let me know.

LorraineMc

Offline Bev

• SkinCell Grand
  • Cuddly Buddly
  • What will be will be!
« Reply #4 on: Friday June 11, 2004, 07:26:33 AM »
 :hi:Rustybear
welcome to skincell :)
Love and Cuddles BevĀ 

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #5 on: Friday June 11, 2004, 12:04:19 PM »
Hiya LorraineMc, and welcome :hi:

Sorry to hear about that :hugs:

As i understand it there are simlarities between sebaceous hyperplasia and Basal cell carcinoma. I'm wondering if some of the treatments recommended for Basal cell carcinoma might also work for SH ?
« Last Edit: Friday June 11, 2004, 12:11:14 PM by Nick »

Offline Hvns

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lemon-Aid
« Reply #6 on: Monday June 14, 2004, 01:47:22 AM »
 :hi: Hi Rustybear and welcome to skincell!

Hvns
When Life gives you Lemons--Make Lemonaide!

Offline Azathoth

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday June 17, 2004, 08:19:10 PM »
Another newbie here  :D

I have sebaceous hyperplasia and i am also in my mid 30's. I too have oily skin and have been taking various antibiotics over six or seven years to help control my acne. It's taken around 12 months to get seen by a dermatologist in the UK and so far it's taken another 12 months to test which treatments he thinks are best for me.

First treatment was electrocautery where a spark generated between two electrodes is used to ZAP the gland leaving a small burnt pit the scabs come off within around 7-10 days leaving a small scar which over a period of months heal quite well. So far the small number of glands treated have not grown back

Second was cryocautery which trys to freeze the gland an causes it to wither. This had no effect on my problem but did help remove some of the skin of glands which had grown out a long way but it did not remove the problem gland.

Third was direct heat cautery where a soldering iron type tip is heated up and used to burn the sweat gland off the face. This removed the sweat gland but is also the one that has taken 6 months to heal. Even now i still have noticable scars on the few the consultatant trialed.

All these were done under local  which was very painful and caused tears to my eyes as he had to apply it several times around each gland to be treated.

My next appointment is in September (after my May one was cancelled by the hospital- grumbles about NHS waiting times) when i need to choose which treatment to go for. It's the electrocautery for me  ;)

I asked about putting me on Accutane but he said it would clear the problem but once i stopped taking it the sebaceous glands would just start growing again.

One last treatment he did mention was having the glands scouped out under general anesthetic but this would leave bigger scars then the other treatments (although i don't think the scaring could get any worse then the heat iron)

One problem is that because my getting treatment has taken such a long time is that sebaceous hyperplasia has increased a lot in the two years and has really underminded my confidence socially and at work and has also lead me to be treated for depression but now i'm actually receiving some treatment it has given me a bit of the light at the end of the tunnel.

So chin up, go see your doctor, ask to be refered to a dermatologist and sit back and wait if your using the NHS in the UK.

Offline teach

• Registered member
Re: sebaceous hyperplasia causes/treatment?
« Reply #8 on: Sunday August 07, 2005, 08:35:55 AM »
I have hyperplasia all over my face and have just had my first electro-cautery.  But I've only had a couple dozen treated and there are hundreds.  Don't know if it helped.  I'm so afraid this will progress into the most difiguring condition.  Does anyone one know what this looks like long term.  Please help!  Any pictures or knowledge would help.

spiky

« Reply #9 on: Sunday August 07, 2005, 09:17:55 AM »
 :hi: Hiya Teach and Welcome to Skincell!
I don't have any knowledge or experience of this, but it sounds like it must be terrible to suffer from. :hug: I really hope someone here will have some experience of it, and am sure they'll be along - although you could try a new topic in the 'Let Me Introduce Myself' section of the Forum. In any case, I know everyone here will want to send you this - :bighug:
:) Good luck with the treatment! :hug:

Offline Kentucky woman

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday August 30, 2005, 04:59:05 PM »
Hi there,
I have seb. Hyperplasia also.  My dermotolgist, who I think is VERY good, suggests that any physical means of removing might only result in scarring.  He has put me on a low dose (10mg) of accutane daily. 

My understanding is that this helps to unclog pores and reduces oil production.  I have only been on for about a week but it seems to me that blackheads are reducing.  I have not seen improvement in existing S.H. lesions but am hopeful these will reduce in size and this will prevent the formation of others. Since it has only been a week I am observing closely!!

Since the condition is a result of a dysfunction in the HAIR FOLLICLE ( from what I read ) and oil gland attached to that hair follicle, one doctor online says he uses some kind of electric need to enter and destroy the follicle, which results in resolution of the problem.  Made me think that maybe laser hair removal (which also destroys the hair follicle) might be useful?  Most docs are so ready to take an instrument or knife to a problem, I think this is old way of thinking.

DON"T be afraid.  Every month new treatments are being developed for all types of skin issues.  In addition, we notice and critique our own skin MUCH more than others notice our skin, I believe. 

Yes, we notice if someone has BEAUTIFUL or TERRIBLE skin, but most of us are somewhere in between and our eyes just don't always register those skin types that are in the middle because that's what 99% of us have- something in the middle.

I will try to keep posting about the accutane experience but if I forget and you really want to know, email me at [email address removed].  and put SKIN in the subject line.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: Thursday June 12, 2008, 10:05:32 PM by totalfolly »

Offline seal

• Registered member
« Reply #11 on: Thursday June 12, 2008, 05:57:54 PM »
 :)I went on website called [URL removed--please contact this member directly via PM if interested] which is located in Singapore and ordered some topical cream.  although expensive i am willing to try anything.  i see improvements already with the bumps.  it is feeling smoother and i can tell a difference.  I am extremely please and would continue to puchase.  I will keep you informed.  I have had sebaceous hyperplasai for 13 years or more.  I have tried accutane 3 times but it always returns.  my twin sister also has it.
« Last Edit: Thursday June 12, 2008, 10:06:36 PM by totalfolly »

Offline bluenotes

• Registered member
« Reply #12 on: Thursday October 14, 2010, 05:53:47 AM »
Hello Everyone! What a great site  :) Hello Seal, I'm new here and wondered how the cream from Singapore worked on sebaceous hyperplasia. I would be grateful to know the name of the cream and the site :) Many thanks.

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #13 on: Thursday October 14, 2010, 07:05:37 AM »
Hello Everyone! What a great site  :) Hello Seal, I'm new here and wondered how the cream from Singapore worked on sebaceous hyperplasia. I would be grateful to know the name of the cream and the site :) Many thanks.

Hi bluenotes,

Unfortunately the site that seal quoted is no longer trading.
I guess that says a lot about how good the cream actually was.