Author Topic: Splitting skin on feet  (Read 14448 times)

puppydogeyes

Splitting skin on feet
« on: Friday December 26, 2003, 03:06:52 AM »
I've got really painful splitting skin on the heels on my feet and its killin! I have hard skin anyway....due to walking around with no shoes on cos i hate wearing slippers! Also been wearing my trainers with no socks on! Soooo... :spank: to me......

Its getting painful to walk on and its actually keeping me awake. Anyone got any ideas on how i can get this sorted out? Put my trusty sudocrem on....bit hit and miss.....

thanks (and yes, i will be wearing socks with my trainers from now on!!!  ;) )

xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Monika

• Registered member
Re:Splitting skin on feet
« Reply #1 on: Friday December 26, 2003, 06:58:50 AM »
I'm interested to see what tips you get Rosie. My E has flared up again on my feet and I've got the splitting skin too.  :(

:hugs:

Offline juliep

• SkinCell Grand
  • Foster Mum
  • PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF SKINCELL
« Reply #2 on: Friday December 26, 2003, 08:31:09 PM »
I have huge problems with skin splitting on my feet - so much so that i was unable to weight bear for 2 weeks due to the fact that every time i did the splits would get worse and bleed profusely. The best thing i did at home was apply loads of moisturiser (I use Ultrabase which is a bit like doublebase) I put about a cm thick layer on then wrapped my feet in cling film (plastic wrap) and put socks on. It worked well enough for me to be able to walk again. At the moment in hospital they are applying salicilic acid 5% in a base cream to bth the soles of my feet and the difference is amazing - i am not sure you can get it on prescription but it's worth a try - within 3 days the hard skin on my feet had all but disappeared.
its only me - Juliep

puppydogeyes

« Reply #3 on: Saturday December 27, 2003, 03:51:39 AM »
 :hugs: Monika and Julie

Glad that something is working for you Julie and that you are getting relief finally.

:-*

Offline lurker

• SkinCell Grand
  • Shadow
  • Lurking SkinCell Member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday December 27, 2003, 04:32:45 AM »
:hi: Rosie,

Juliep is using a common treatment for the psoriasis on the heels that she is having at the moment.  Wrapping with the plastic wrap is often recommended when undergoing this treatment, but you have to know how to wrap it correctly, and also, the occlusion increases the absorption, just like it does with steroid creams.   So what's the big deal?  Salicylic acid poisoning, that's what.  Dizziness, confusion, headache, ringing ears, rapid breathing...   SInce Julie is using in under occlusion I am a bit worried but she is also under the watchful eye of a medical professional so I am not too worried ;)

Anyway, is this stuff available over the counter?  Heck yeah.  You can get up to 15-17%  I think...   It's in both anti-acne products (some varieties of such products as Clearasil, Oxy, Noxzema, Stri-dex) as well as anti-wart products (Wart-Off I think is 17% salicylic acid, Compound W, etc.).   Also used for corns, calluses, and the like... basically skin thinning agent.  Just try not to use this with another topical anti-acne product (benzoyl peroxide), alcohol-based, or other stuff that dries the skin.

I would see your GP about this, or your derm.  This is a viable and often very effective treatment method for psoriasis on the heels, as Julie can attest to.

And Guzzi, if you are reading this - for whatever reason, salicylic acid is also considered a treatment for sebhorrheic dermatitis...

- lurker

Offline Monika

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Saturday December 27, 2003, 05:48:10 AM »
So wait... are you saying we could put something like Clearasil on the splitting parts and it would possibly help?  That actually sounds scary...
« Last Edit: Saturday December 27, 2003, 05:48:44 AM by Monika »

peterb

« Reply #6 on: Saturday December 27, 2003, 07:48:56 AM »
Another way I treat mine as I have psoraisis and hard skin on the soles of my feet, is to give them a good soak, I then apply Vicks Vapour Rub, works brilliantly, if you have a few cuts on the Psoriasis it will sting for a few mins but then will settle down.

And Rosie you should always wear something on your feet, as walking around barefoot you can catch bacterial infections .

puppydogeyes

« Reply #7 on: Saturday December 27, 2003, 07:56:58 AM »
i would never have thought about Vicks Peter!!! I'll try that...might make my feet smell better at least!!!  :roll:

Yes i will put something on my feet.......even tho it'll drive me  :crazy:  ;D

xxxxxxxxxxx

Offline juliep

• SkinCell Grand
  • Foster Mum
  • PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF SKINCELL
« Reply #8 on: Saturday December 27, 2003, 01:15:35 PM »
Lurker

I am not using the salicilic acid under occlusion - only the moisturiser (and I am not doing that at the moment 'cos of the hospital treatment)
its only me - Juliep

Offline lurker

• SkinCell Grand
  • Shadow
  • Lurking SkinCell Member
« Reply #9 on: Sunday December 28, 2003, 05:08:30 AM »
Oops, sorry Julie, I must have read that other thread completely wrong!

Monika, I have no idea what would happen if you started using Clearasil on your splitting heels... I think it's particular types of Clearasil that has it.   Also, splitting skin on the top of the foot like you had looked more like E than P, not really splitting heels and such...  Basically, I dunno what it would do if you used it.  I have used Clearasil acne wash on my face and neck (where there was some E) with no ill effects...

- lurker

Offline Monika

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday December 28, 2003, 07:26:10 AM »
Thanks for the info Lurker... I don't think I'll be experimenting with the Clearsil.  :lol:  

I went to The Body Shop in the mall today.  I was looking for a really heavy cream for extremely dry skin, since I don't even think there's E on there right now anyhow, it's so messed up right now.  ???

The lady there gave me samples of 2 hand creams.  One was a soy & calendula cream that I wanted to try.  The other was one she recommended, apparently a lot of customers w/eczema like it as a moisturizer - a hemp cream.  :o

So I tried the hemp cream first, used it on my feet and it is definitely soothing.  It's definitely moisturizing!  And it took the stinging of the raw, scabby skin away.  I can actually bend my toes without cracking that skin even more.  

That's all I'm looking for right now, some relief for in between my 2 per day Elidel apps.

peterb

« Reply #11 on: Sunday December 28, 2003, 11:54:44 AM »
Mon the best for what you have is really thick vaseline based moisturiser called Epaderm.

Offline Nyph

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #12 on: Thursday January 22, 2004, 08:15:36 PM »
Vicks?

surely that would burn?

when i had really bad eczema on my feet (when i was about 5) i got them "drowned" in a moisturieser, thn had bandages wrapped round.
im pretty sure they do it still with kids who wont stop scratching, its dry wraping its called i think. they put moisturiser on, then put a bandage round it, like a tubigrip type thing. then when you take them off after habing them on overnight, the moistyer should be absorbed

might be worth a go if it gets a lot worse i guess?

sorry i cant be more help,  just suggesting what has helped me before

Offline Shadowmaiden

• Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #13 on: Saturday January 24, 2004, 01:38:26 PM »
I would be scared to use anything salyctic acid on splitting skin. I have dry body skin, but my face is always oily. If I even have open blemishes on my face the salyctic acid burns! But if you decide to try- I use a product from Bath and Body Works Julie, so you can get it here in the states. Blemish Control Gel .5% It has a low content. But I have also heard of Peter's suggestion with the Vicks- don't know how well it works, but maybe it's worth a shot. I recently posted something though about the effects of PURE Vitamin E OIL. I had a friend who I lived with, and he was a mechanic. In the winter and summer months his hands would get so dry and cracked they looked and I'm sure felt awful. I would rub Vit E Ointment or Oil on his hands before bed, and he would sleep with white cotton socks on his hands, (I'm sure for anyone who scratches while sleeping, this could also be a helpful deterrent to do so.) Some have a hypersensitivity to Vit E, but it's rare, so maybe you should try it. It's a relatively miniscule investment too. I get my Vit E Oil in the local druggist for about $1.25 per 2 fl.oz, 10,000 I.U. strength. Be Well, and be good to your feet!
Shadowmaiden
If you never dare to go out on a limb, you shall never reach the fruit that hangs there.

Offline Val

• SkinCell Friend
  • Golden GasBag
  • Mmmmm ! The Weird One I am !
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday January 28, 2004, 03:42:09 PM »

Just managed to catch up with this thread. :-[

Might just have to change my name to Always-Late-Val soon ::) :-[ ::)

Rosie and Julie, hope your feet are better now. :hug:

As most of you know my feet also split and bleed regularly like Julie's (Oh! the joys of  *3P ). I also use the cling film (food wrap) a lot, but not always with any of the steroid creams (in fact I use them very little). I use loads of moisturiser (DiproBase) though, my first derm recommended that I do this over night. But I found the cling would drive me nuts and stop me sleeping, so now do it for at least 2 hours x2 a day and put socks on top too. I find it really does help a lot. :)

:hugs:

Offline dippitmaggie

• SkinCell God
  • daft but not stupid
« Reply #15 on: Friday July 23, 2004, 09:47:27 PM »
I was prescribed a cellulose filler. It's known in the uk as Orabase fill the crack/split and cover with something like vaseline, emulsifying ointment or even better Epaderm. In the three years I've been using it my feet and hands heal in days rather than weeks
reading and sewing keeps me sane

Gobe

« Reply #16 on: Friday July 23, 2004, 10:03:59 PM »
 :hi:

Welcome to Skincell dippitmaggie!

:)

peterb

« Reply #17 on: Saturday July 24, 2004, 04:53:20 AM »
Welcome dippitmaggie to the forum.  Yes, I agree that Epaderm is excellent.

puppydogeyes

« Reply #18 on: Saturday July 24, 2004, 03:53:11 PM »
Welcome dippitmaggie to the forum.  Yes, I agree that Epaderm is excellent.

i hadnt tried Epaderm until i moved in with Pete and yes i have to agree that its excellent. I do feel a bit like a greasy chip once its on but its so soothing that i dont really care too much!

welcome to the forum dippitmaggie.  :)
« Last Edit: Saturday July 24, 2004, 03:53:49 PM by Rocksgirl »