General Category > Helpful Remedies
Lichen Planus - Try this, working for me...
<< < (8/13) > >>
deirdre:
Thanks forteh tipson teh JASON products. My hsuband has been using their tea tree oil on his nails. S&H (plus duty charges) can make what looks like a deal on a US site turn out to be very expensive in Canada, so I'll have to give the prices a hard look... but thanks for the tip.

I may try the body wash gel. It *might* help my LP, and my husband gets littlefunal spots that need cream every now and then... so even if I can't use it he probably will.

I find that the 100 per cent tea tree oil is very irritating to my lunds forthe  first 30 minues or so after my husband puts it on... so he's been doing his nails when he knows we'll have minimal contact for a while. He pointed this out when I said he doesn't jump sufficiently quickly when I ask him to apply my streoid cream. I assured him that it's awful to itch when you know relief is in site. I have perfected the octapus self-application technique (using a three-way mirror) but it's nice t oget a good solid coating every now and then.

Th eBiotene costs a fortune but even though I didn't think Crest or Colf=gate bothered me, my mouth feels soo good it's almost worth $9/tube.

:beer:
goldie:
 ???murena

Haven't logged on for a while...I have lichen planus also...everywhere :shake:

Your use of a diluted vinegar rinse interested me, having done that for my hair... it helps remove the shampoo residue. Think Deirdre may be right about it rinsing away the products better that you're using in the bath; also, the vinegar may help prevent culprits like bacteria or fungus from setting up residence on breaks in the skin caused from the LP, which allow it to heal faster. This is the sort of prevention I believe happens from using Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash for my oral lichen planus...Biotene products contain enzymes that kill bacteria without using alcohol or other irritating ingredients found in regular toothpaste and mouth washes. Deirdre~Wow! Sorry you have to pay so much for Biotene in Canada...can purchase for $5 in U.S., but I'd pay that too, if I were you...the results are so dramatic.

Recently, a doctor's column in our paper was about a reader who successfully used vinegar as a foot soak, for ten minutes, three times a day, for nail fungus. Others have used Vicks Vaporub  rubbed into the nail with success...the doctor pointed out that would be less time consuming, safe and with no side effects...he confirmed its success. I know of two people who have had success with the Vicks...hard to understand.   :o

I hesitate to use anything acidic on my LP... acids really bother my oral lichen planus. However, I did try the vinegar rinses again in my hair (have LP of the scalp). Didn't notice any improvement on my scalp, but ceased doing it because it started stinging the skin around the edge of the hairline, like the temples and nape of the neck. A more dilute solution may have been better...was using half white distilled vinegar and half water, followed with plain water rinse. I'm probably not a good choice for testing anyway...have always had sensitive skin (allergic to all fragrances including herbal, melaleuca oil, insect bites, some plants, sun or heat, some prescriptions, etc.). What doesn't work for me could very well work for others.

My facial wash, unscented Cetaphil, and my shampoo (unscented, ph balanced) both contain SLS, with no noticeable reaction. In fact, after shampooing, I have less itching. I use unscented Dove for bathing and unscented Cetaphil lotion for moisturizing.

goldie
goldie:
 ???wrencher9999

Your experience with bathing with water from a water softening system was similar to mine. I noticed the slippery feeling also and the inability to rinse completely (even though I had used less shampoo, expecting more suds due to soft water). Not only that, but I also felt a stinging sensation on the areas of lichen planus, everywhere on my body. I attributed this stinging to the salt that the system puts in the water. After a ten-day stay at my relatives' home with this system, the stinging subsided somewhat, but I still preferred my shower at home with hard water. I think if we ever installed a system at home, I would choose one that doesn't use salt to operate. A lot of salt on foods (like chips) really trigger my oral lichen planus; it makes sense that salty water on the skin would affect LP anywhere. I did find info on the internet regarding a whole-house electro-kinetic water conditioning system that doesn't use salt and doesn't need to be regenerated. Would really like a system in our house...nice for washing anything and protecting bathroom and kitchen fixtures.

My relatives' system once put too much salt in their water...so much the water tasted like brine. Fortunately, I was visiting them at the time...they hadn't noticed the change. I had heard about companies leaving one water line that the system doesn't treat, for drinking water; they then had it installed...especially important for persons needing a lower salt intake.

goldie
Shadowmaiden:
Hi Goldie,
I find the whole water softening thing interesting. I wonder if the same can happen with a water filtration device for the shower.
I get follicular eczema, which is pronounced mostly after I shower, even if it is lukewarm.
We were going to get a shower filter when I had my last flare up, because I thought maybe the regular water in the area was exacerbating my condition(plus we only moved here less than a yr. ago, and thought maybe I was having a reaction possibly to different mineral levels in the water, but it just took time to become more noticable).
All of our drinking and cooking water is filtered prior to use.

Do you know anything about this?

thanks and be well,
Shadowmaiden
goldie:
Hi shadowmaiden,

Can't say I know much about filters; we have one for our kitchen faucet in which the charcoal filter needs to be changed periodically...no salt used to soften the water in it.  Reverse osmosis systems (can be found in both under the sink systems and whole house systems) are great...no salt used for filtering.

I've wondered about the chlorine added to our water affecting our skin; there's more used in our city water now than years ago. This is the main reason we filter our drinking water...to remove the chlorine taste. :P  If chlorine or minerals are affecting your skin, it might be worth a try...if nothing else the shower will be easier to clean.   ;)  Have you changed any bath or shampoo products since moving, is the climate a lot different there, the humidity and air quality both inside or outside, or do you have more stress now?

An article online by the Dept. of Dermatology at Indiana University Medical Center states that "some areas have reported a higher incidence (of lichen planus) in December and January" I'm beginning to suspect chocolate as an itch trigger for lichen planus in my case. Had entered my mind over a year ago because I seemed to have a problem during Nov., Dec., and Jan., when I tend to eat more chocolate. I noticed, too, though that having to wear more warm clothing causes more itching. Now that I'm having most of my LP itching on my scalp, I again suspected the chocolate...remembering a connection between times I've eaten it followed by more severe itching. I've now gone two weeks without so much as a chocolate chip and so far the itching is subsiding...will report if this continues. Anything I can find that prevents some of the itching is really welcomed...don't want to loose any more hair from LP.  :-[

Sometimes it's helpful to discover things other than steroids that make a skin disease more bearable, even if it's not the cause or the cure that we find.

??? Does anyone know if putting filters or an under the sink system for your drinking water removes the fluoride added to city water? Would hate to give up the great dental check-ups we've always had.

goldie
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version