Author Topic: Lichen Planus - Try this, working for me...  (Read 32621 times)

Offline deirdre

• SkinCell God
  • of Hamster-holics
Re:Lichen Planus - Try this, working for me...
« Reply #20 on: Friday January 09, 2004, 08:20:32 PM »
Wrencher,

Dentures can be a pain so don'ttake the step lightly. Is there a dental college in your area? I had a friend (whose father was a physician and also on faculty at auniversity... so there was plenty of money and dental benefits there) who had all his dental work done by students at th edental college at the University of Toronto. I know it;s not like getting your sofa reupholstered at the local vocational school, but something worth investigating...

The other thing is, havea serious talk with your dentist, and see if maybe he can't come up with a bulk rate on filling replacements. After all, he runs a business. If you get dentures that's  aone-time thing but then you won't be going back to him...

Also, have you checked out www.tambcd.edu/lichen? This is an LP support group run by dental college. Maybe the site's facilitator, Dr. Nancy Burkhart, will be able to give you info on metals and LP... and also let you know if the contact of dentures against your gums might set you up for Oral Lichen Planus (which can become precanecrous, so is more serios than the skin version). I believe somewhere on that site ids a discussion of how OLP sometimes appears where teeth touch cheeks... Do please check it out (its free and online so couldn't be easier).

I'm glad your employer recognizes that health and safety are good investments when it comes to the company's bottom line.

Must run... have to work this evening and need to get the kids and meet up with my husband  first.

;)
O Skin, thou art sick! / The invisible worm / That flies in the night, / In the howling storm,

Has found out thy bed / Of crimson joy: / And his dark secret love / Does thy life destroy.

Offline murena

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #21 on: Sunday January 25, 2004, 10:56:19 PM »
Update:

It has been several weeks now and the lesions are getting smaller.  Less redness after the shower and the calluses are flaking away and retreating.  

The lesions I have had the longest seem to be the most stubborn.  

The problem still seems to be drying up but at a slower pace than at first.  hmmmm?

Mike

Offline deirdre

• SkinCell God
  • of Hamster-holics
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday January 27, 2004, 05:12:23 AM »
Yes the lesions that you have had longest will take the longest to go away.

I'd say that your report is most encouraging!

Take heart! You are on the road to recovery. I'm so glad that you have found something that seems to be working for you.

;)
O Skin, thou art sick! / The invisible worm / That flies in the night, / In the howling storm,

Has found out thy bed / Of crimson joy: / And his dark secret love / Does thy life destroy.

Offline Shadowmaiden

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday January 27, 2004, 03:53:46 PM »
Hi Murena!
I suffer from a few different skin conditions, one which is Pityriasis(tinea) Versicolor. Tinea is an overgrowth of the natural yeast on your skin. I have dealt with this for some time now, and a flare up can cause little follicular itchy bumps on my skin(pityroporum folliculitis). I have an appointment with a new derm on Thursday to confirm that my Tinea is causing the folliculitis. A friend who is a nurse recently told me that it looks to her that I could have mild Lichen Planus or Atopic Eczema(which I have always had on my elbows, but noplace else)- so I figured another visit an indifferent Derm might help.
Anyway- check out some of my posts, especially the ones regarding Tea Tree Oil. Like Deirdre's hubby I put it right on my affected spots, and it clears them up faster than anything else. Take heed of Fish's warning though guys. USE ONLY 100% PURE AUSTRALIAN TEA TREE OIL. Try Swanson Vitamins online- it's on sale as a matter of fact this month, just stocked up $3 something per bottle.
 As far as your discovery with the vinegar, no news to me. Apple Cider Vinegar has been used since the dawn of time to combat Vulvovaginal yeast infections. Everytime one comes around from stress or antibiotics, I wash daily down there to speed up healing time, and alleviate the itch.
In regard to your query on having a systemic yeast infection, it can possibly be so. Many of my early posts talk about how I take TwinLab Yeast Fighters. They contain Caprylic Acid, Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic, and P'au De Arco. These ingredients are the top all natural yeast fighting supplements out there. Since I have been taking the Yeast Fighters, I have noticed dramatic improvement with my skin, GI tract, and energy level. I have also noticed a decrease in sugar cravings, and pain in my TMD (which may be related to my new reduced stress lifestyle). Many things can create an overgrowth of yeast in the body. Too much sugar or carbohydrates(one and the same), too much stress, not allowing the body enough time to rest, poor digestion, use of antibiotics at least 3X per year- the list goes on and on! I chose the YF, because they were as close to natural as it gets, and are safe for a long term use tonic. Maybe you should give it a shot. vitacost.com has them for only $13.00 a bottle-30 day supply. Be Well, and Good Luck! :up:
Shadowmaiden
If you never dare to go out on a limb, you shall never reach the fruit that hangs there.

Offline deirdre

• SkinCell God
  • of Hamster-holics
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday January 28, 2004, 09:08:52 PM »
Hi Murena,

I tried to answer this yesterday and SkinCell timed out while I was writing the post so today I'll be brief.

1) Lichen planus is *not* fungal. It is mysterious, but it can be identified under a microscope and it is not fungal. Tea tree oil is wonderful stuff for many conditions but it can be an irritant so I'd strongly advise you to give it a pass.

2) There is some confusion about LP and yeast/candida/thrush as the steroids used to treat severe OLP can cause thrush (just like the steroidal inhalers used for asthma). The thrush can be more unpleasant than the OLP, which is why so many doctors are reluctant to prescribe topical steroids in the mouth.

3) If you do want to try herbal remedies, my choices for LP and OLP woould be:

a) for LP of the skin, capsaicin cream, which is sold under various brand names. In Canada I find Zostrix. It is teh hot stuff in chili peppers. YOu can buy the cream in two strenths. Buy the MILDER one, read the package insert before applying it, do a test patch, and discuss capsaicin with your doctor t odetermine an approprite protocol (My dermatologist was all for my trying it but insisted I space it midway between steroid cream applications, to lessen the chance of it stinging, and also, to doa few control patches with and without, on my back (husband applying) to see if it helped. I do nt stop using the steroid cream when I use the capsaicin.

b) for OLP I would suggest trying food grade, debittered aloe vera gel. It tatses awful but has amazing healing powers (hospitals use aloe on burn patients). Fill an eggcup with aloe vera, swish it around in your mouth for aminute or so, swallow it and then don't eat or drink anything for a while, to give it a chance to help heal your tissues. It tastes awful but is very soothing (aloe vera is also avalable in liquid. It tastes no better than the gel and doesn't adhere as well so I'd go with gel. Keep it in the fridge to help dull the wretched taste).

4) If you are worried about devloping trrush buy some acidophilus from a reputable health food store. Only buy a brand that has been kept in the refrigerator and also has a best by date on it. Or eat an acidophilus-rich brand of yogurt.

5) Lichen planus is not a histamine reaction, however I find that it does seem to itch less when I use certain anthistamines. Different brands contain different ingredients in different places. Here in Canada I use Reactine and Benadryl. Benadryl in the UK contains totally different ingredients, but you might find the Nortgh American version packaged as sleep aid Nytol. You can check the chemical names of bothproducts online (my daughtter is ill and napping and I don't want to wake her or I'd go check). I'm not sure why it helps, but it does... and it may have helped with my OLP. Essentially, the antihistamines that seem to help with LP are the same ones that pharmacists and doctorsrecommend to ease the itch of chicken pox (which is also not a histamine reaction).

6) Stress and hormonal cycles both seem to be factors in flare-ups. Consider trying Evening Primrose Oil as the GLS it contains is helpful in relieving many PMS symptoms. I am not religiu about taking it and when I don't there are times I regret it. Obviously stress happens and there is little one can realistically do t elminate tress from one's life, but you can find ways to cope with stress that do not manifest thjemselves on your skin.

7) Have you visited the LP support group www.tambcd.edu/lichen? It is an amazing site. Not chatty and chummy and uplifting like SkinCell (which I also recommend highly, but you have found it already ;)), but for solid medical tips, advice, etc. There is a link on the home page to email DR. Nancy Burhart. She is wonderful about answering questions. If you have not checked out the Baylor site (URL above) please do as it is such an excellent resource.

I am really, really glad that the treatment you've been prescribed is helping!  :up:

:hugs:
« Last Edit: Wednesday January 28, 2004, 09:22:11 PM by deirdre »

Offline Shadowmaiden

« Reply #25 on: Thursday January 29, 2004, 02:12:22 PM »
Just a little tid bit of information regarding acidophilus, and yeast infections for you all.

Although acidophilus is effective in keeping the healthy bacterial flora in the intestines at a constant level, and can possible prevent infection in certain cases liking taking antibiotics, ACIDOPHILUS ALONE WILL NOT KILL A YEAST INFECTION. So, anyone who has tried to use yogurt or acidophilus after they realize that they have a yeast infection may or may not experience relief. I can tell you also from personal experience, that a systemic candida infection is a full blown disorder in comparison to a superficial yeast on the skin, or in the vagina. Systyemic Candida, if allowed to get out of control can cause major body functions to shut down. Milder infections can cause anything from unusual rashes that come and go, to bad smelling flatulance and bowel movements,(or lack of), headaches, insomnia, viral colds and infections... the list goes on and on. If you suspect you have a mild systemic infection, you can treat it with a few different products that are safe and effective(I am familiar with them from personal use).
Three-lac is a good one, and you can purchase it online, but I found that Twin Lab's Yeast Fighters is the best. It is a blend of acidophilus, apple cider vinegar, P'au D'arco, Caprylic Acid(necessary to eliminate bad yeasts), Goldenseal, Psyllium, Echinacea and Black Walnut. If you begin taking these anti-toxin herbs, you may experience detox syptoms- breakouts, excessive urination, mild hives, low grade fever- usually after 2-3 weeks these symptoms go away completely,(It's is only natural since your body needs to excrete the toxins.) I can tell you that after taking them for 2 months I feel great- way better than I did before the holidays. I think after the holidays, people are tired and run down because of what we ingest when we celebrate. Foods high in sugar and fat only create problems in our intestines, that cling around on the villia in our GI tract. Unless we clean out our systems, that bad yeast and bacteria grow, and grow....Especially if your eating habits favor simple sugars, and alot of starch. I would recommend for anyone interested in these anti-yeast products, to also take in alot less sugars, sweets, milk products,starches and yeasts. An increase in proten, fiber, and leafy green veggies would put you and your intestines on the right track. I hope this helps some of you!

Shadowmaiden
If you never dare to go out on a limb, you shall never reach the fruit that hangs there.

Offline deirdre

• SkinCell God
  • of Hamster-holics
« Reply #26 on: Thursday January 29, 2004, 05:52:34 PM »
HI Shadowmaiden,

You seem pretty up on the candida front... the thing is my understnding is that candida is and of itself is not neccesarily evil. It only becomes an issue when you get an overgrowth of it.

I had suggested acidophilus while using steroids applied to the mouth to help keep the numbers of little yeasties down, as steroids used that way can cause thrush (which, I suspect you know, is quite unpleasant). For the same reason, I tend to use acidophulis when I am taking antibiotics (and I buy it is tasty chewable cherry flavour, so that I canget it int omy kids).

You are quite right that healthy food tends to be healthier than junk. Just as... getting exercise is better than being a couch potato.

Please do point out that these "flush" formulas are only a good idea for short term use.  Some of the ingredients you have listed can build up in the system, to toxic levels. Too much of anything (even candida) can be a bad thing. Certainly some of the natural (which does not necesarily mean benign: hemlock is also natural) ingredients you've listed are things that a pregnant or lactating woman, for example, must avoid.

THere is also some concern that *if* LP is the result of an overactive immune system (which is one theory currently being discussed in medical literature), then taking immune boosters may in fact be unwise. This has been stated to me by a number of medical practitioners.

I'm sorry if I seem cranky here, but I was trying to offer very concrete advise about a condition that Mike and I both have. To the best of my knowledge the link between LP and candida is cpincidental: some LP treatments predispose the patient to develop an overgrowth of yeast. If you have access to a study that suggests otherwise, I'd be happy to know about it.

;)

Offline Shadowmaiden

« Reply #27 on: Thursday January 29, 2004, 07:25:31 PM »
Hi Deidre,
 I hope you didn't take offense, but Mike's threads, although they discussed the LP- were leaning toward a fungal topic too.

Also, I NEVER correlated his LP to a fungal infection, he did that himself, so maybe he has a researched study he knows of.

So while I do not advocate what he may think, I do feel that
it could be possible, though treating his LP, he created a dwelling for a yeast overgrowth.

I was giving info on the candida because it seems that either Mike in fact has some superficaial fungal infection,or he and his Doc are not treating it right-( In his first thread he said the Doc gave him a nail anti-fungal med that cleared up the LP(which could be coincidental)), so here is a question for Mike:

When were you diagnosed with LP?
What were that doctors recommendations to treat your LP?
Why did this Doctor give you anti-fungal medication?
Was there evidence of a secondary infection?

In addition, any of the information that I or anyone else offers, should not have to post a disclaimer on it.
Anything that is posted should be considered a suggestion, and not medical advice.
I would hope that anyone with a compromised immune sytem (overactive or underactive), who is pregnant, breast feeding, or has any otherwise noted health disorder, and is under the care of a Physician, and should always take precautions when using any product not prescribed by that physician.

For instance, I have a mild hypersensitivity to Echinacea, but because the dose in the Yeast Fighters is very low, I can tolerate it. However, I can't use straight Echinacea to fight a cold, it actually makes my symptoms worse because it belongs to the aster family, a flower I am highly allergic to.

However,  many yeast fighting supplements can be used for a long stretch of time, and used as a systemic tonic. The product I am speaking of is NOT a "System Flush" as you have labeled it. They restore the body's natural intestinal flora by eliminating the bad yeast and bacterias and replacing them with the helpful ones, that the human body need for its immune system.
I think PaulBeck also uses a product of similar nature as part of his daily regimen, and I do believe he has been taking it for quite some time. AquaFlora would be a product that is categorized as a systemic flush. Besides, I know people with MS who have used systemic flushes to get their intestinal health stable again under a Doc's supervision.
The Yeast Fighters especially is comprised of all natural ingredients, that I researched before wasting my money-that's why I chose it.

As an Eczema sufferer with severe environmental allergies, I read all of the ingredients on labels before I even consider buying a product. If you read my thread on Herbs, you will get a better understanding that I am not trying to force my views on anyone, but merely am trying to provide some educational info regarding alternative remedies to drugs.

While I do go to regular Doctors and not a Medicine Man, I certainly recognize the role that drugs have in modern culture.
I know as well as anyone else that meds and drugs are useful sometimes, and sometimes they are detrimental to whether a person stays alive.  
I have argued with some of my Docs in the past if I didn't agree with a particular course of action concerning my health. If it was a scenario that they weren't familiar with, why would I agree to follow their advice without getting a second opinion, or trying something reversible first, after all they are only human like we.
I come from a school of thought that feels if the body is functioning properly, it will naturally eliminate many of the ailments that the human race has unfortunately grown to become so accustomed to, and that a healthy body can restore proper organ function.

I also was curious to know if your Doctor recommended the acidophilus for your kids? I only ask, because as far as I know, children shouldn't be given acidophilus supplements (only yogurt), unless advised by a physician, as their bodies do not function the same as an adult(even though these supplements are probably manufactured and sold specifically for kids). Apple Cider Vinegar is the best for oral thrush as the origin of the yeast in oral thrush is inside the mouth. Whether the acidophilus is chewable or not, really doesn't make that much of a difference, considering acidophilus is effective after it is digested.
Don't worry-crankiness is just a mood!
Be Well,
Shadowmaiden

Offline murena

• Registered member
« Reply #28 on: Thursday January 29, 2004, 07:50:21 PM »
For the record:
When were you diagnosed with LP? 1992
What were that doctors recommendations to treat your LP? Topical Steroids
Why did this Doctor give you anti-fungal medication? Toe nail fungus
Was there evidence of a secondary infection?  just the toe nail thing.

My leg is getting better.
I think a skin fungus is the trigger for the LP reaction (could be wrong)
LP not my identity, just a thang on my leg... its not "MY LP" like "My Cancer" so I feel funny defending vinegar and water...  but honestly it dries of the lesion/calous that forms and It really looks better.    

:)
Mike

Offline deirdre

• SkinCell God
  • of Hamster-holics
« Reply #29 on: Thursday January 29, 2004, 08:01:20 PM »
Shadowmaiden,

You did come on just a bit strong. Poor Mike, he hasn't dared comment on this.

All natural is fine... but if you use the search function here to see what I've posted on sodium lauryl sulphate (which is "naturally derived from coconut oil") you will see that I do not equate "natural" with "safe." That is precisely becuase I do respect and value the power of herbal and other natural remedies.

Thanks fr your concern over my children's cherry-flavoured chewable acidophilus. As a matter of fact it was their MD who suggested that I give them acidophilus whil ethey are taking antibiotics. She was specific in stating that I must use a pediatric formulation: since acidophilus does have a shelf life, I *only* buy the kids' stuff and then tbat's whate everybody gets.

BTW, my kids are yogurt junkies. They love it, it's good for them, and I don't mind stocking a ridiculous number of brands and flavours to let them feel they are getting some variety while they get thgeir daily dose of this very healthy food. It's on te hlist of foods they are allowed to serve themselves as snacks, or for weekend morning breakfasts (whereas Oreo cookies, for example, are to be taken in moderation, and only with prior approval. Th eonly treason I even buy Oreos is that it's one brand of cookie I can be assured of never eating, as I find them so disgusting). My children have never actually developed thrush, perhaps because I do take precautions. If either ever does, I will treat the thrush as thrush, and you are quite correct, acidophilus alone would not be efefctive.

You did clarify a number of things in your last post and I do thank you for that.

Perhaps you did not read the part about candida (which, like LP, is opportunistic) thriving in environments created by some LP treatments. Perhaps you do know a great deal about LP; but please understand that for those of us who are slogging through the often contradictory and frequently terrifying info on this little-uinderstood skin condition, helpful advice is only helpful if it comes from an enlightened/knowledgable source. Maybe you are an expert on LP?

I did in fact start an Admin thread about timing out while postings, as your first candida message made me *quite* concerned, and so I drafted a lengthy reply, being very careful to not offer any potential offence to someone who posted advice with, I am certain, only good intentions... and then it got lost. I decided to drop it, but went back and reread your post and decided that it remained problematic.  

What me cranky? Shadowmaiden, you are passionate baout your belief in evils of candida and more power to your in your personal quest for healing. The ability to ligten up is another critical factor affecting the body's ability to look after itself.

Cheers!

:beer:  :beer:  :beer:
« Last Edit: Thursday January 29, 2004, 08:02:10 PM by deirdre »

Offline deirdre

• SkinCell God
  • of Hamster-holics
« Reply #30 on: Thursday January 29, 2004, 08:02:46 PM »
Hmmmm, will Shadowmaiden get my visual candida joke?

Offline Shadowmaiden

« Reply #31 on: Thursday January 29, 2004, 09:03:42 PM »
Touche' pussycat-
i am definitely not obsessed with candida, but I certainly have more respect for the good and bad benefits related to taking supplements which fight it, as they are in certain terms, equally as good for other health issues I have.
As you are passionate about LP, wouln't it be natural for I to feel as passionate about what afflicts my skin?

by the way, beer is the only bad yeast I love!!!

I know about the sodium lauryl sulphate, recently i eliminated all products in my beauty cabinet containing this toxic dry skin creator!

Good for your kids and their healthy eating habits, it tough when they are young to teach them the importance of god food choices.

Be Well,

Shadowmaiden

Offline Shadowmaiden

« Reply #32 on: Friday January 30, 2004, 03:48:25 PM »
Glad your skin is recuperating Mike!

Be Well!

Shadowmaiden

Offline deirdre

• SkinCell God
  • of Hamster-holics
« Reply #33 on: Friday January 30, 2004, 06:21:46 PM »
Is beer a bad yeast?

As I understand it, the concept of "small" (weak)  beer was developed in European areas where the water supply was unsafe but could be rendered palateable through fermentation.

My friend who in on a candida rampage (and I do believe that adapting her diet has helped) has yet to convince me that the fungus found in beer (for example) can neccesarily incrase the amount of candida in my system. After all, acidoplus is a "good" bacteria that, by its presence alone, helps to reduce the amount of "bad" bacteria in the digestive tract. (Also my friend with candida-linked problems tells em that the "pure" candida diet is almost impossible to adhere to, and never says no to a really good glass of red wine).  Better a bit of nice vitamin-B rich yeast than a case of dysintry... and is it not possible that the moulds I consume with my cheese (for example) may be protectinbgme from an overgrowth of another, less tasty, fungus?

I use cheese as an example precisely because the mould that causes veining in blue cheeses (among my very favorires) is... penicillin. My mother, mygrandfather and I all have (had) severe allergies to penicillin, and yet could consume pounds of Roquefort, Stilton, Gorgonzola or even humble Danish Blue with no ill effect at all.  

Anyway, I do see the logic in the candida literature that I've read (which may be bad literature) as sadly lacking in logical consistency. There are a lot of snake oil salepeople out there, and many are making big bucks off products proudly featured in "natural" foods/supplements/cosmetics stores. Everyone is entitled to make a buck: I just don't like it when their marketing methodology amounts to scare-mongering.

A tip on avoiding secret sources of SLS, in case you really are serious about cutting it out of your life. Odds are your toothpaste is full of it. Even expensive "natural" brands like Tom's contain it ("naturally derived from coconut oil": gotta love the greensploitation movement). The only brands of toothpaste that I am aware of that do not contain SLS are Biotene (available from fine retailers including Wal-Mart and your neighbourhood pharmacy: it generally is kept behind the pharmacy counter) and a sticky, flouride-free grape flavoured product that may only be availabel in Canada: Kidz First Step. I buy Biotene because I want the flouride.

:beer:
« Last Edit: Friday January 30, 2004, 06:22:34 PM by deirdre »

Offline Shadowmaiden

« Reply #34 on: Friday January 30, 2004, 07:26:45 PM »
Any candida free dieter may be close to being called a fanatic, and my diet is far from being candida free. But by taking the supplements, i am eliminating alot of the build up in my GI, for instance from holiday eating. I love candy and cream sauces, and alcohol, so I don't pretend to be "Miss organic everything, you're gonna burn in hell if you eat that."
However, I try to watch what I eat, as I lost alot of weight many moons ago, and like to keep it off- so I cut out large quantities of the simple sugars if they aren't necessary-
Although Beer is a yeast, it doesn't have the same true effect as sugary or starchy yeast solids partly because of the process it has undergone, and it is liquid as well, so it passes through the intestines pretty easily. Now if you're going out to your local bar 5 nights a week, drinking 6 pints PLUS cheese fries, fried ravioli and other not so healthy snacks- you can get a yeasty effect eventually, but it probably wouldn't happen after a binge or two of overeating/drinking excursions. I read in a women's mag once, that one beer a day after the onset of a vaginal yeast infection could help flush the infection out faster. I don't know if there is truth to that or not, but it will make you urinate more!

While Gorgonzola is the only one of those you listed that i do enjoy, same with me, i am highly allergic to penicillin as well as sulpha drugs(what a shock it was when i found out the hard way that Neosprin is a sulpha drug!-like I didn't have enough skin flare ups going on) but I can ingest the cheeses, the mould levels are probably minimal, i mean they can't be as high as an antibiotic or they would probably be labeled a controlled medication.
- just like in the previous post about echinacea- i'll get a bad allergy attack if I take it in order to prevent a cold, but the dose in the Yeast Fighters is small enough for me to tolerate once daily without any side effect.

I have only cut SLS out of my lotion products and such, as toothpaste hasn't had any ill effects on my mouth. But i have had terrible drying effects from shower gels and moisture lotions that contain it. I use JASON brand tea tree satin body wash, I swear to everyone I know that after one use, you will never change brands again.  Then I lather on Herbal Times sweet violet baby lotion. No stinging, and I don't have to reapply all day either. I've been getting alot of my stuff on vitacost.com.  They sell the Jason products in my grocery store, but they cost at least 50% more.
Be Well,
Shadowmaiden

Offline deirdre

• SkinCell God
  • of Hamster-holics
« Reply #35 on: Friday January 30, 2004, 08:17:17 PM »
Thanks forteh tipson teh JASON products. My hsuband has been using their tea tree oil on his nails. S&H (plus duty charges) can make what looks like a deal on a US site turn out to be very expensive in Canada, so I'll have to give the prices a hard look... but thanks for the tip.

I may try the body wash gel. It *might* help my LP, and my husband gets littlefunal spots that need cream every now and then... so even if I can't use it he probably will.

I find that the 100 per cent tea tree oil is very irritating to my lunds forthe  first 30 minues or so after my husband puts it on... so he's been doing his nails when he knows we'll have minimal contact for a while. He pointed this out when I said he doesn't jump sufficiently quickly when I ask him to apply my streoid cream. I assured him that it's awful to itch when you know relief is in site. I have perfected the octapus self-application technique (using a three-way mirror) but it's nice t oget a good solid coating every now and then.

Th eBiotene costs a fortune but even though I didn't think Crest or Colf=gate bothered me, my mouth feels soo good it's almost worth $9/tube.

:beer:

Offline goldie

« Reply #36 on: Saturday January 31, 2004, 12:31:36 PM »
 ???murena

Haven't logged on for a while...I have lichen planus also...everywhere :shake:

Your use of a diluted vinegar rinse interested me, having done that for my hair... it helps remove the shampoo residue. Think Deirdre may be right about it rinsing away the products better that you're using in the bath; also, the vinegar may help prevent culprits like bacteria or fungus from setting up residence on breaks in the skin caused from the LP, which allow it to heal faster. This is the sort of prevention I believe happens from using Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash for my oral lichen planus...Biotene products contain enzymes that kill bacteria without using alcohol or other irritating ingredients found in regular toothpaste and mouth washes. Deirdre~Wow! Sorry you have to pay so much for Biotene in Canada...can purchase for $5 in U.S., but I'd pay that too, if I were you...the results are so dramatic.

Recently, a doctor's column in our paper was about a reader who successfully used vinegar as a foot soak, for ten minutes, three times a day, for nail fungus. Others have used Vicks Vaporub  rubbed into the nail with success...the doctor pointed out that would be less time consuming, safe and with no side effects...he confirmed its success. I know of two people who have had success with the Vicks...hard to understand.   :o

I hesitate to use anything acidic on my LP... acids really bother my oral lichen planus. However, I did try the vinegar rinses again in my hair (have LP of the scalp). Didn't notice any improvement on my scalp, but ceased doing it because it started stinging the skin around the edge of the hairline, like the temples and nape of the neck. A more dilute solution may have been better...was using half white distilled vinegar and half water, followed with plain water rinse. I'm probably not a good choice for testing anyway...have always had sensitive skin (allergic to all fragrances including herbal, melaleuca oil, insect bites, some plants, sun or heat, some prescriptions, etc.). What doesn't work for me could very well work for others.

My facial wash, unscented Cetaphil, and my shampoo (unscented, ph balanced) both contain SLS, with no noticeable reaction. In fact, after shampooing, I have less itching. I use unscented Dove for bathing and unscented Cetaphil lotion for moisturizing.

goldie
« Last Edit: Saturday January 31, 2004, 12:41:17 PM by goldie »
What we perceive, we believe.

Offline goldie

« Reply #37 on: Saturday January 31, 2004, 12:55:06 PM »
 ???wrencher9999

Your experience with bathing with water from a water softening system was similar to mine. I noticed the slippery feeling also and the inability to rinse completely (even though I had used less shampoo, expecting more suds due to soft water). Not only that, but I also felt a stinging sensation on the areas of lichen planus, everywhere on my body. I attributed this stinging to the salt that the system puts in the water. After a ten-day stay at my relatives' home with this system, the stinging subsided somewhat, but I still preferred my shower at home with hard water. I think if we ever installed a system at home, I would choose one that doesn't use salt to operate. A lot of salt on foods (like chips) really trigger my oral lichen planus; it makes sense that salty water on the skin would affect LP anywhere. I did find info on the internet regarding a whole-house electro-kinetic water conditioning system that doesn't use salt and doesn't need to be regenerated. Would really like a system in our house...nice for washing anything and protecting bathroom and kitchen fixtures.

My relatives' system once put too much salt in their water...so much the water tasted like brine. Fortunately, I was visiting them at the time...they hadn't noticed the change. I had heard about companies leaving one water line that the system doesn't treat, for drinking water; they then had it installed...especially important for persons needing a lower salt intake.

goldie

Offline Shadowmaiden

« Reply #38 on: Saturday January 31, 2004, 02:22:30 PM »
Hi Goldie,
I find the whole water softening thing interesting. I wonder if the same can happen with a water filtration device for the shower.
I get follicular eczema, which is pronounced mostly after I shower, even if it is lukewarm.
We were going to get a shower filter when I had my last flare up, because I thought maybe the regular water in the area was exacerbating my condition(plus we only moved here less than a yr. ago, and thought maybe I was having a reaction possibly to different mineral levels in the water, but it just took time to become more noticable).
All of our drinking and cooking water is filtered prior to use.

Do you know anything about this?

thanks and be well,
Shadowmaiden

Offline goldie

« Reply #39 on: Saturday January 31, 2004, 06:46:13 PM »
Hi shadowmaiden,

Can't say I know much about filters; we have one for our kitchen faucet in which the charcoal filter needs to be changed periodically...no salt used to soften the water in it.  Reverse osmosis systems (can be found in both under the sink systems and whole house systems) are great...no salt used for filtering.

I've wondered about the chlorine added to our water affecting our skin; there's more used in our city water now than years ago. This is the main reason we filter our drinking water...to remove the chlorine taste. :P  If chlorine or minerals are affecting your skin, it might be worth a try...if nothing else the shower will be easier to clean.   ;)  Have you changed any bath or shampoo products since moving, is the climate a lot different there, the humidity and air quality both inside or outside, or do you have more stress now?

An article online by the Dept. of Dermatology at Indiana University Medical Center states that "some areas have reported a higher incidence (of lichen planus) in December and January" I'm beginning to suspect chocolate as an itch trigger for lichen planus in my case. Had entered my mind over a year ago because I seemed to have a problem during Nov., Dec., and Jan., when I tend to eat more chocolate. I noticed, too, though that having to wear more warm clothing causes more itching. Now that I'm having most of my LP itching on my scalp, I again suspected the chocolate...remembering a connection between times I've eaten it followed by more severe itching. I've now gone two weeks without so much as a chocolate chip and so far the itching is subsiding...will report if this continues. Anything I can find that prevents some of the itching is really welcomed...don't want to loose any more hair from LP.  :-[

Sometimes it's helpful to discover things other than steroids that make a skin disease more bearable, even if it's not the cause or the cure that we find.

??? Does anyone know if putting filters or an under the sink system for your drinking water removes the fluoride added to city water? Would hate to give up the great dental check-ups we've always had.

goldie
« Last Edit: Saturday January 31, 2004, 06:55:41 PM by goldie »