Author Topic: Comparing pompholyx treatments.  (Read 75341 times)

Offline TinyArmy

• Registered member
Comparing pompholyx treatments.
« on: Tuesday May 17, 2011, 02:16:26 PM »
Hi (I'm new!) everyone. I have had pompholyx/dyshidrotic eczema since I was around 7 or 8 and in the past 16 years I have noticed there is a whole range of triggers and a whole range of treatments that affect different people differently. I was just wondering if there's any corellation between triggers and treatment and I wanted to ask the other pompholyx/dyshidrotic eczema sufferers for their stories. I hope that by maybe trying to find other people with my triggers, I can find out what has brought relief to them and it might work better on me! I figure if you have the same triggers, you might respond to the same treatment?

What are your triggers and what has worked for you?

I have very few allergies and have had all sorts of scrape and poke tests to determine whether I am allergic to things or not (I am not). The only trigger I can find is the weather. My pompholyx appears usually end of April or the start of May and then continues sometimes as late as August. It has been this way as long as I can remember. And it's not like it is a trigger I can avoid, I mean how do you avoid summertime!? I have also found that soaking it in cold water or rubbing ice over it just exacerbates the problem but REALLY hot (almost scalding) water is infinitely more soothing to it (especially with apple cider vinegar added). Before I moved to the US I used to use a gel called Witch Doctor and it made it less maddeningly itchy but I can't find that product here.
Does anyone know of a comparable product available in the US?

My pompholyx has gotten worse and worse with every year I have spent in the US and this year I have huge blisters on the soles of my feet so I can barely stand to put weight on them. It has never been this bad before. I don't think my new dermatologist believes me when I say that. My GP says that lots of Europeans develop never before seen allergies when moving to America because of the huge difference in air and water quality. Your body tends to react badly to what it isn't used to.

Offline Big Ears

Re: Comparing pompholyx treatments.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday May 18, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »
Dear T Army,
Hello! Welcome to the wonderful world of sharing your frustration of Pompholyx with others that have the same annoying issue!
Feel free to search the site under eczema board for other threads concerning Pompholyx.

Here are some of the things that have helped me:
1) UV light - I actually bought a used tanning bed off of Craigslist to help me here.
2) Grenz Ray - a type of x-ray that can be administered by a dermatologist - grew to an annoying expense given my Kaiser Permanente insurance.
3) Vitamine D - I'm currently taking 1000 - 2000 iu daily depending on the amount of sunlight there is outside (I live in the Pacific Northwest = 75% gray skies!)
4) MSM - not quite sure if this really helps, but I'm giving it a try (1000-2000 mg daily)
5) I recently gave up coffee, I don't really know if it is related, but since giving up coffee i've had no extreme break-out with my pompholyx - only a few blisters here and there.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Keep posted to the Eczema Board to see new posts regarding pompholyx. Lapinblanc and I have one thread that goes on and on!

Welcome to the family!

BE
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline carolethecatlover

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday August 24, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »
  I am studying Dyshidrosis, also known as dyshidrotic eczema, pomphylox, and chronic hand eczema.
I am a chiropodist, this condition occurs on the soles of the feet and the palms of the hands, the glabous skin.
Why?  Because this type of skin has the greatest number of histamine receptors.
Causes:
The basic cause in all cases is allergy to a dermatophyte. (a fungus, mold, bacteria or yeast that adheres to skin.)
The Id reaction is by far the greatest cause of Dyshidrosis.
This is the dermataphyte/dermataphid reaction.  Dermatophytes are skin loving micro-organisms.   They are usually fungi/yeasts, however, they may be bacteria, mold spores, a type of fungus usually thought of as a plant parasite, pollen and even a temperature change that results in over-production of histamine.  There is no doubt, statistically,  that the sweaty, the pregnant and gym fans get this more, but everybody of any race or gender can get it. Rationale is that the dermatophytes get more to eat in sweat and can increase at such a rate that a colonization results that alerts the body's immune system which produces histamine.
Many people with this condition believe that it is a food allergy or a nickel allergy.
Most doctors seem  to confuse it with contact dermatitis.  Most doctors are prone to tell patients that it is incurable, and the cause is unknown. 
Since 2008 it is totally curable and the cause has been known since 1999.
Most common dermatophytes that are known to cause Dyshidrosis:
Tinea species:  This is athlete's foot in various forms and explains why podiatrists/chiropodists know more about it than most doctors.
Candida Albicans:  Overgrowth or inappropiate colonization by Candida.  This is the 'leaky gut syndrome'.  Most common cause when this occurs during pregnancy or post partum.
Staphylococcus Aureus: Colonization on the skin without infection. Seen along scars on ordinary skin.
Various yeasts that inhabit the nose, anus, vagina and sweat pores.
Bacterial colonizations, which is a sub-clinical infection, ie. no visible infection is seen or felt.
Seasonal molds.

Treatment:
Treatment may be divided into a) alleviating the condition and, b) curing the condition.
 Many people have doctors who either do not know the cure or prefer to profit from a continuing patient with an 'incurable' condition.
The best alliviating is to take anti-histamines.  Fexofenadine 180mg per day or 60 mg every 8 hours with food. This is a 3rd generation anti-histamine and it very effective against hives, and other skin rashes.  Fexofenadine has a half-life of 14 hours.
Soaking the hands and feet in warm 50/50 dilute vinegar.
Ditto potassium permanganate.
Going on the carbohydrate restricted Atkinsí diet is excellent but will only alleviate symptoms if the dermatophyte is Candida Albicans in the large bowel.  This yeast/fungus feeds on sugars and carbohydrates.
(The wikipedia article is a load of crap, the webmaster wonít let me change it.)

Curative Treatments:
Nystatin:  A very well tolerated anti Candida drug.  Kills Candida on contact in the bowel, does not pass into the blood.  Usual dose is 4 million units per day.
Ketoconazole/Fluconazole: (Nizoral) 200mg daily
Toctino:  Alitretinoin  9 cis Retinoic Acid  manufactured by Basilea of Switzerland since 2008.
Once a day capsule of 10 or 30mg for 90 days.
9 cis RA is one of the 350 components of vitamin A.
This works,   the clinical trails show various figures from 47% to 87%.  However it is expensive at 411 British Pounds per month.  Toctino can only be prescribed by a dermatologist.
Vitamin A protocol (by Marcona, modified by me in light of pharma 101 and experience)

My research:
I have had 14 out of 17 people cured by the vitamin ~A protocol with 2 relapses.
The first person I cured was myself.

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #3 on: Monday August 29, 2011, 10:07:08 PM »
Catlover,
I'm so excited to hear a scientifically statured individual that is looking in the intricacies of the human body for the cause/cure and condition of our persistant problem.

You cured yourself you had mentioned, with the vitamine A protocol.
I am very curious to see your protocol. Can you please tell me where I can see this protocol?

My wife has been telling me for about a year about the possibility of the Candida possibility, but i didn't believe it. I read your entry to her just to show her how right she sometimes is! (to my dismay!).

I am not especially interested in putting any more drugs into my body, but If I could get rid of the cause of this hand condition by killing the candida, I would give Nystatin a try. Are there many side effects of taking Nystatin?

I have so many questions for you that I don't know where to begin.

Thank you , thank you, thank you for your entry. we are all in shock at this point.
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline carolethecatlover

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Monday January 09, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
Big Ears,
Did you try any of the treatments?
Did you get a cure?
I was studying in the UK and did not look at this board often.

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday January 10, 2012, 04:44:59 PM »
Carole,
I have seen a dramatic improvement in my condition. The condition is 99% gone, but I still get a few blisters here and there on my feet and hands. VERY minimal and very managable.
I am planning on running another 2 weeks of the two candida treatments to be gone with it.

Very positive results!!!!
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline Tammiyap

• Registered member
« Reply #6 on: Friday January 13, 2012, 04:18:12 AM »
I prefer natural treatments for this condition and have searched the internet for answers to this problem.
Eventually I found a treatment at www[dot]dyshidroticeczema[dot]co (it is not [dot]com) that has
really helped me turned the corner on my condition.  Finally, the misery is improving substantially.

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #7 on: Monday January 16, 2012, 01:38:41 AM »
It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I wanted to come back and report my success.

My triggers were foods, chocolate and cashew nuts were the worst. 

I have have had almost no problems in the last few years, I can now eat chocolate every day (except for what the sugar does to my waistline).

I attribute this to overall better diet, more natural foods and less processed foods. I am far from perfect at maintaining a natural diet, but I try. I do not avoid dairy, in fact, I eat lots of cheese, eggs, yogurt and cottage cheese.

Supplements I take -

Zinc - 30 mg a day. I think this is a key, I had a small flareup of blisters when I stopped the zinc for a couple of months and they disappeared as soon as I started it again.

Vitamin D - I take 5000 IU a day, only in the winter.  I can't prove this helps, but some people say it does. I will continue for the general immune system support. In the summer, I try to get some sunlight for natural Vitamin D production.

B Vitamins, especially B6.

Flax seed oil - 1000 to 2000 mg a day. This used to help reduce the itching very quickly when I was having a flair-up so I continue, along with 2000 mg of fish oil a day. The fish oil by itself never helped short term the way the flax seed oil did, but I do fish oil because of it's general health benefits.

Vitamin C - This never made a lick of difference in my skin, but it does help my allergies (hay fever) immensely. Just listing it in case there is some synergystic effect with something else listed above.

I do avoid most hand lotions and creams. When my skin was bad, they just made it hurt much worse. Memory of that pain keeps me from trying them again. 

You are what you eat.

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #8 on: Monday February 13, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
Glad you found something that worked, Alohamora! I've also been very cautious about eating organics as much as possible. (I'm finally converting my parents!) It may have helped my skin, but has definitely helped what Mama tactfully refers to as "lady problems."
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #9 on: Thursday March 29, 2012, 04:38:06 PM »
 :-\
Hello everyone.
My pompholyx was soooooo much better on the first go around with Carolthecatlover's recommendation of Nystatin and Nizorol.
It's been about 3 months since this and I have done one more round of the Nystatin and Nizorol but my hands are not responding this time the same way.
I will try the Nystatin and Nizorol one more time and then proceed to the Vit. A protocol, although I have used a Vit. A derivative before and did not like the way my skin (other than my pompholyx) responded to it. Very dry skin on face and especially lips, and my hands and feet were more sensitive. Not to mention I started chafing on my waistband - which I've never had in my entire life. Uuuuhhh, did I mention that my body hair almost all fell out?
So we will try the Nystatin and Nisorol once again.
more to come....
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline itchyasaurus

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Friday June 15, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »
Hi all, I am new here too. I will start with what I have used that has helped:

*Coconut oil/lotion worked brilliantly on hands! Almost as good as prescribed lotion.
*Salt water hand/foot baths to alleviate the itching and dry out the blisters.
*Salt water baths in general
*Dermol500 (for use instead of soap)
*Fexofenadine antihistamine
*Regular vitamin c
*Infrared heat lamps to alleviate itching and pain of swelling under skin.
*E45 itch relief cream
*Oilatum in baths.
(because I have very bad hives its usually tepid or cold baths for me).

I suspect the dyshidrosis I have was either a side effect from increased dosage of medication, from a skin infection or fungal overgrowth.

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #11 on: Friday June 15, 2012, 05:07:18 PM »
Thanks for the info, Itchyasaurus.
Since my last posting, I have tried the Nystatin and Nizorol combo again and to no avail.
I have gone to prednisone and what a miracle. Not to say that it dosn't come with it's own side effects, but my condition is much more controlled since starting the prednisone.
I like the suggestion about the Fexofenadine. I'll give that a whirl next time I'm off the prednisone.

Welcome to Skincell!
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline itchyasaurus

• Registered member
« Reply #12 on: Friday June 15, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »
I was prescribed Prednisone too as I couldn't bare the itching and went to an out of hours clinic.
It helped for a while, but being a steroid I only had a short course. If its the one I'm thinking of I had to take 6 a day.
Don't laugh, but I assumed that meant 6 all at once instead of spreading them through the day.
I was done with them pretty quickly and noticed less itching while I was taking them..but the blisters did come back and to be honest I didn't like the thought of being on them for any longer than that.
I do experiment with different "cures" on myself all the time, so will let you know if anything gets rid of it altogether.
I know it seems far-fetched, but regular salt water baths have helped most, that's why I put that near the top of the list.
Things like menthol vapour rubs work to get rid of the itching too..best not to put it on cracked skin though.

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday July 03, 2012, 02:13:47 PM »
Salt water; interesting. O_O can you tell me more?
what salt do you use? Are you using cold water as well? How long do you soak yourself?

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #14 on: Friday July 27, 2012, 04:56:37 PM »
Alright y'all, so Prednisone for me is the cat's meow. Too bad it's only treating the outbreak and not the cause of the outbreak.
I have gone off of it all together now (doctor says I cannot keep taking it cause it will cause bad things in my body) and my condition is urrupting like Mt. St. Helens. Here are a few shots for sympathy votes.
The "no pickey" rule it getting very hard to follow. I find myself picking at my hands all the time and I hate it!
The description on most websites (including this one) say that there is a period of blistering followed by a period of crusting and peeling. Can it be so!?!?! I'm blistering and peeling and crusting and cracking all at once. There seems to be no end, but I'm just getting frusterated, I think.
Back to the tanning bed, I guess. I will try some new things and report back here, but I just wanted to touch base with all y'all.
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday August 07, 2012, 06:46:38 PM »
Oh my gosh that makes me... I keep typing a word or two and then squeezing my hands together. Oh that looks so awful.

I've also had it cracking/peeling and blistering at the same time, and it's a new kind of hell. :( Hope the tanning bed gets some decent results quickly!
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday August 07, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »
Tanning bed did very little for my hands and feet. I did get a killer tan, though! ::)
It seems like when I go off of the prednisone it is the worst.

Dermatologist put me on a new drug - should start working in 3-4 weeks - methotrexate. This one works more like a systemic action rather than a local or a skin only drug. Prednisone is the only other systemic action drug that I've used and it works like a dream.

Just after my recent derm. appointment, my wife came home from India (she goes there for work) with a small surprise for me - About 10 foil packs of predinsone! She really loves me!!!! ;D I found out from my doctor that I can take the prednisone while taking the methotrexate and all is well. They work on two different mechanisms. I had blood and urine work done to make sure that I'm all good, though.

I'm posting more pictures to keep the documentation alive.

Hope everyone is doing well out there.
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline ruditoots

• Registered member
« Reply #17 on: Thursday August 16, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »
Hi,
I am new here after finding this forum today! I have suffered with pompholyx for about 20 years. I am now 23 and am no closer to understanding it, only managing it. My first ever breakout was when I was very young. I used to wear jelly sandals in the summer months and turns out I was allergic to rubber, I spent many years unaware of this so my mum kept putting me in these sandals so the 'air could get to my feet', she felt very guilty when I was diagnosed with a rubber allergy at about 5 years old! The doctors said they had never seen such bad dermatitis and I used to have to go for weekly appointments to have dead skin cut from my feet and have iodine patches applied and my feet bandaged! I learnt to deal with it quite quickly, and even to this day find myself walking on the sides of my feet, even when they are clear of dermatits!

I then developed it on my hands at about 6 years old. I remember waking up one morning with really stiff itchy hands, and discovering I had fallen asleep on top of some face paint crayons which had melted all over my hands and arms, I think the heat and greasyness triggered a reaction and broke me out. I have had it ever since!

At first I would spend every other week at the doctors getting various creams and ointments, which never worked they just made me sting really bad! If I had a break out on my hands I wouldnt be able to hold anything and would have to sit out of lessons at school. If I had it on my feet I would have to hobble around in agony and sit out of sports lessons. As a direct result of the dermatitis on my feet, I am incredibly self concious of them and very rarely go bare foot in public, and would always insist on wearing socks in sports lessons.

Eventually I realised that there was no instant cure and you basically have to ride it out, making sure youre as comfortable as possible! Now I am able to manage it better and not freak out about it so much, although if a breakout lasts a long time I do get depressed and incredibly self conscious and sit and sob for a while! People dont realise how badly it affects you! I cant wash or tie up my hair, cant tidy, cant walk properly, cant do up my bra in the morning or take my underwear down to go to the toilet, let alone wipe properly after!!!! I think people always think I am over reacting a bit!

My triggers are: - My rubber allergy (most shoes!, socks, rubber gloves, bike/pushchair handles, toothbrush/hairbrush handles.... the list goes on!) - Hot weather that cause my hands and feet to sweat alot. - And wet shoes! If I get caught in the rain and my shoes get wet, through to my socks, I will definitely break out everytime. I obviously try avoiding this as much as I can but living in the UK makes it hard as our weather is so unpredicatble! I spent yesterday at a wildlife park and it POURED with rain, my shoes were soaking and there was nothing I could do:( I got home and washed them straight away and smothered them in cream and took an antihistamine, by the evening thye were very prickly, and woke up this morning with blistered toes and heels!

For the first time I think I am going to keep a 'break out diary' and keep record of everything I put on them and how they heal. Later on I am going to try a vinegar foot soak to try and dry the blisters out. I used to pop them with a sterile needle, but I found that the small hole it created in the skin promoted the skin to crack and split more when it dries. Now I leave them, or spray a deodarising foor spray on them, until they drain by themselves and them moisturise daily.

I dont know about other people, but for me the blistering part is the worst bit for me, as its so uncomfortable and itchy. Dry split skin I can manage, with moisturising and removing dead skin, but the blisters are unbearable, the feeling of pressure they create is horrible! The worst thing is, I can always tell when they are going to blister before it happens, and I cant do anything to prevent it :(

Anyway, sorry for the essay, Im just happy to find somewhere with people who understand exactly what I have been going through for the last 20 years! It can be quite sad and lonely dealing with the worst of this!

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Thursday August 16, 2012, 07:17:15 PM »
Hey Ruditoots, and welcome! :hi:

Don't know if you wanted to keep a "brick and mortar" journal or not, but if you want to keep one online, we've got a space for that here. I know that it did help me identify a pattern - it always starts on one of my fingers.

http://www.skincell.org/community/index.php/board,36.0.html

Good luck finding patterns of your own! And good luck with the vinegar soak. I was the same way when it came to puncturing the blisters, and I came to the same conclusion. So maybe our skin is alike enough to where vinegar will help you. It's awful about your triggers, though... you can't get your feet wet and you can't wear wellies. Talk about unfair!

Offline ruditoots

• Registered member
« Reply #19 on: Friday August 17, 2012, 05:35:02 PM »
Thanks Bamawing!
Maybe I will keep one on here, might inspire me to keep at it! Its quite hard to be consistent with treatments, as I obvioulsy have to work and run errands etc, so its not always convinient to bathe my feet/hands, apply creams... but I am trying hard! Did a vinegar soak last night but didnt notice much difference after one, although the cold water was nice and soothing! I have been rinsing my feet every time I come home from walking in hot shoes and that has definitely made a diiference. I have had complications previously regarding athletes foot developing on the affected areas, which made everything so much more uncomfortable! Have also been applying emollient with a few drops of tea tree oil to ward off any secondary infections!