Author Topic: lichen planus on penis  (Read 42568 times)

Offline yellowdog1

• Registered member
lichen planus on penis
« on: Sunday October 17, 2010, 04:17:42 PM »
I only have periodic spots on the penis head.  A biopsy several years ago came back as lichen planus.  Once the spots appear, they last a couple of weeks, dry out a bit and flake, then clear up with no scar.  They always appear in the exact same place and I've never had any spots anywhere else on my body.  So I am confused why a condition like LP would be isolated to exact same spot, and I mean the 3-4mm sized spot is always in the same place not just the general area.  No herbal or prescription cream has ever made a difference.  Has anyone experienced this and/or found a suitable treatment.

Offline money$

• Registered member
Re: lichen planus on penis
« Reply #1 on: Thursday October 21, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »
I have lichen planus on the penis. They developed on the head (not towards the tip) and a little on the the underskin about 4 weeks ago. a Little itching sensation once or twice a day, no problem in doing anything in life, sex, urinating etc,  but the look of my penis is annoying with those purple and white bumps. I have had a history of having unbelievably bad mouth ulcers, other than that, I've completed 29 years of healthy life. I was initially feeling hesitant in pulling out my penis in front of the doctor, so tried to find something online. But boy, online things made life a hell. Some said, its fungal so apply coconut oil, some said, its pearly penile papules leave them alone, some said its a STD, and some were totally crazy saying, its a penile cancer.

Since it has been only 4 weeks, and I wanted my mental health to be better (this thing disturbed me emotionally thinking what would my girl think of me), I thought to nip this thing in the bud, went to my doctor, pulled out the thing in front of him, and he said, its nothing else but lichen planus and the reason is mostly unknown but it can be due to abnormal immune reaction provoked by a viral infection or a drug.

I have been advised ELOCON ointment, and an oral drug "hydroquin". I started using it today, but my doctor was unfazed, and said, "it is good to nip this thing in the bud", so unlike most cases (where it take 1 year or more for the rashes to go away), this will be cured in a few months completely.

I'll update you on my penile health in 1 months time to tell where I have gone with this treatment, but mentally i am at peace already.

Take care.

Offline money$

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday October 24, 2010, 06:20:16 PM »
Day 4 update - Bumps on the head are going away drastically, about 30% improvement. I am excited. Under the skin, they are almost the same, the only difference is they are starting to turn a little bit brownish. Will now update next Sunday. No side effect of any drug so far. Life is normal and getting better.

Offline yellowdog1

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Friday October 29, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »
Any updates on how the drugs are working.  I think i need to go to the dermotolgist, but would like to ask him about these drugs if you are still having success.

Offline money$

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Monday November 01, 2010, 07:19:28 AM »
Day 12 update

Remarkable is the word. I am so glad that i did go to my dermatologist and pulled out my penis in front of him, to let him judge the problem, and I avoided "self medication". Turned out to be the best decision. The head bumps are completely gone, and has left a brown scar (patch), which will go away slowly but surely. And believe it or not, under the skin, it is 95% normal. These medications are brilliantly working for my condition, and though the scars on the head may take some time to go, my penis is looking a thousand times better than those horrendous purple and white bumps on the head and under.

I strongly suggest anyone who has penile bumps, to straight away visit your doctor, as that part is something you do not want to experiment on..What the hell are doctors for anyway?

I was at an emotional low 2 weeks ago, and now I am back to WHAT I AM. Think i landed into good dermatologists hands. Dosage will finish on November 12, so final update will be on that date.

Best Wishes

Offline Seattlejeff

« Reply #5 on: Saturday November 06, 2010, 11:41:59 PM »
Thanks for the info on the the topical and oral medications that have practically cured your issue.  I have been seeing my urologist the past few months for something a little different.  Turned out to be fungal.  I began using econazole ointment and protopic as a follow up, but those tended to irritate the problem in the long run.  Then began using Triactin (sp), an over the counter antifungal and things seem to clear up much better.  Who knew! 

Having stuff go wrong in the penile area is really an emotional drain as well as physical.  Glad yours is better, and good information for the rest of us.

Thanks

JM

Offline money$

• Registered member
« Reply #6 on: Saturday November 13, 2010, 04:21:29 AM »
Time for the final update, as the dosage finished today. Thanks JM for your message, and you're so true when you say that it is an emotional drain. Thanks also for telling us the medication for fungal infection in the penile area. I do hope they cure you completely. Best wishes mate.

Right, the good news is that my lichen planus on the penis is all gone. Yes, the tiny patch is there, but it is gradually improving everyday, and will take the normal color in a few weeks if not days. Medication has been stopped, and no need to continue. I thanked my doctor, and though he is happy for me, he has cautioned me that lichen planus on the penis can reoccur after a few years without any reason, so I should never hesitate to visit him again, but for a few years, this thing is permanently gone. My doctor was kind, gentle, sensitive and extremely talented (for my case anyway). I have told him about my posts here on this forum, and he has suggested everyone to get the penile problems physically detected and never online, as there are thousands of reasons and cases and a wrong medication can complicate the issues. Also, lichen planus medications should work in 3 weeks, or an alternate treatment should be taken, and these medicines should not be persisted for more than 21 days, as they do have a side effect. I am sure my happiness can be understood, as I had a torrid time with my ugly looking penis, and now I am almost back to what I always was.

Have a good time everyone, I'll keep visiting this forum every now and then. Be well, be safe. Take care of yourself, and specially your private area.

« Last Edit: Saturday November 13, 2010, 04:27:36 AM by money$ »

Offline money$

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday November 25, 2010, 01:41:17 PM »
Update November 25, 2010.

As i wrote in the previous post a few weeks ago, the lichen planus bumps were all gone, and the patch (scar) was there, and I (and the doctor) was expecting it to go away in a few weeks, if not months. After 2 weeks, i noticed that scars were not getting any lighter at all and though my penis is "almost" what it was as the scars were covering a very tiny area, yet I was seeking perfection. Hence i decided to walk into the doctors clinic again, to consult. I once again pulled out the thing for him to observe, and he said the patches were normal for lichen planus anywhere on the body but still he has asked me to apply the same topical cream (elocon) for 1 month, for a quicker recovery process from the left over scars (patches). So I'll update on December 9th, and December 25th.

Yet again, I urge everyone to visit their doctor, no matter how embarrassing the problem may be. I am living a stress free life, and hope you learn to live like that too.

Offline money$

• Registered member
« Reply #8 on: Friday December 24, 2010, 10:38:47 AM »
All is completely well and good now. What a relief!! Good Bye Lichen planus, you were quite annoying.

Offline money$

• Registered member
« Reply #9 on: Monday March 07, 2011, 06:03:11 AM »
3 months down the line, the slight pigmentation remained as such, and this morning i noticed a few signs of reoccurred lichen planus, under the head. I am coming back from the clinic just now, and the doctor appreciated my concern. He has advised Tarcel topical ointment and hydroquin tablets for 1 month.

I straight away went to the doctor having noticed the signs of recurrence, so the penis look is almost the same as it has been since december, apart from a few very very thin white lines.

Will post back after April 7, 2011.

Regards

Offline altair401

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Saturday April 09, 2011, 01:51:27 AM »
I haven't read all the replies so sorry if this is a repeat solution... 

I had what was  a 'mystery' skin disorder for nearly a year until i switched doctors and he said he thought the spots that had started on my penis and then quickly spread to other parts of my body (wrists, ankles, legs) looked to be lichen planus.  He couldn't be certain at that time though because of my over-use of tea tree oil which is very harsh on the skin when used straight out of the bottle.  But he said judging by my description (and having had ruled everything else out during the previous 10 months) that lichen planus was the likely cause.

Don't use tea-tree oil -- it will just burn your skin and the lichen planus will just come right back! 

I had heard of lichen planus online and it was the first time a medical doctor that I had seen had ever verbally gave it as a possible cause of what was going on with me.  I knew from my own "research" that lichen planus was commonly treated with cortisone (corticosteroids) and phototherapy

At this point I had suffered for 10 months and desperate for relief! That same day I went to my local drug store and purchased cortisone-10 cooling-relief gel and went to my local tanning salon 2-3 times a week for about 10 minutes at a time.  I would expose the area  affected my lichen planus during the tanning process.

By the end of the second week of daily application of the cortisone gel and tanning every few days, my skin was completely clear.  If you're still suffering i urge you to at least try the cortisone10 cooling gel  The gel seems to absorb the best vs. the cream and will tingle a bit for the first 20 minutes after application so dont freak out.  Not sure if tanning really helped but it certainly didn't hurt and also is an indicated treatment option by some doctors.

I returned to my doctor and told him what i had done and he didnt seem surprised at my success.  He just said to not go over-board on the tanning and that that along with the cortisone-10 were valid treatments for the skin condition I was experiencing.  Good Luck!

Offline money$

• Registered member
« Reply #11 on: Saturday April 16, 2011, 08:31:55 PM »
Altair401, Many thanks for your suggestion, and I've already noted it down for future references. Lichen planus is more obvious in Asians, who have a brown skin tone. I am one of them, and i can see that the pigmentation is slightly more obvious that what I see on pictures of the westerners. You've rightly named it as a mysterious skin disease, as everything functions normally, but the look is so annoying, it stresses you out.

Anyway, A follow up to my previous post last month, the recurrence of lichen planus was gone with in 10 days, and the tacrolimus ointment 0.1 w/w was far more effective than the previous one. Pigmentation has gone considerably lighter. I have consulted my doctor again, and he has advised me to get a new one, and gently apply it alternatively on the area. He was pretty sure that the recurrence would not come for years now.

Lets hope so. I'll keep you posted.

Altair- Thanks again mate.

Offline altair401

• Registered member
« Reply #12 on: Monday April 18, 2011, 12:10:06 PM »
Glad to hear your having some success with your treatment, money$.  Skin issues are a major pain aren't they?  Definitely try my suggestion if you notice things getting worse again.  Take care...

Offline baroni

• Registered member
« Reply #13 on: Sunday June 05, 2011, 11:30:50 AM »
Just wondering if any of you guys had wrinkles on the head of your penis?

I self medicated for fungal recently and went to the doctors about the strange wrinkles, but she was very confident that there was nothing to worry about. I insisted on testing, so she had samples taken with a cotton stick. Fungal test came back as negative (which is a good thing) but she said I had little bacteria there, which apparently is normal... I even had her take a good look at my junk but she still insisted that it was normal. I asked her how it could possibly be normal for this to happen in a matter of weeks, but she said it was and that I had nothing to worry about.

The wrinkles just don't seem to disappear. The look is a bit like hands after a long bath, which disturbs me greatly since I've never had any before. They dont cause any problems, but the different look does worry me. I dont have any spots and the color is normal, and I have no bumps either. It's just the wrinkles. Googling about the subject lead me to pictures, though most look different because of the bumps you guys have mentioned too, but the wrinkly skin does match. Perhaps I should self medicate and go back to the doctors. I've used hydrocortisone a couple of times (applied it 3 times or so), so I'll continue that regularly in the meantime.

Surely this could simply be caused by the lotion I used, as it might cause my junk to dry. The lotion however was correct, I asked the doctor. Still, I would expect things to go back to normal now, which isnt happening.

Any advice?
« Last Edit: Sunday June 05, 2011, 12:19:13 PM by baroni »