Author Topic: new treatment for Granuloma Annulare  (Read 24102 times)

Offline gainpa

• Registered member
new treatment for Granuloma Annulare
« on: Tuesday June 16, 2009, 08:41:31 PM »
Hello everyone with Granuloma Annulare (GA),

Here is some good news:
There is a new treatment for Granuloma Annulare

No joke. 
Long story made short:
R.O.M. therapy – the same one used for M. Leprosy appears to be clearing people’s GA.

One dose each, once a month, of the following antibiotics:

Rifampin 600mg
Ofloxacin 400mg
Minocycline 100 mg

All taken together at the same time - once per month. 

Suggestion is to take 2 to 3 hours after dinner, stay upright for at least an hour after taking the pills, then go to sleep.

Dr. I. Hamzavi, a dermatologist from Michigan, has had at least 20 successes. 
I live in a different state and got my doc to speak with Dr. Hamzavi about this therapy.

I have a severe case of Generalized, aka Disseminating, Granuloma Annulare. 
I took my 4th dose at the end of May and I am starting to see results.  It is slow, but it is happening.  Since most of my spots are less than a year old, this is remarkable.  A few of the smaller, newer, spots are almost gone!  Most others are now much flatter and some much lighter in color.

I know of people in other states who are also trying it.  They, too, are seeing some results.  Results / timing seems to vary with different people, different degrees of severity, etc.

The theory is that the GA, at least for some of us, is caused by some type of bacteria infection. 

Not sure yet if this will work for people with diabetes, lupus, etc.  I don’t know if there has been any research in those areas yet. 

Good luck to all.

Offline Sthere67

• Registered member
Re: new treatment for Granuloma Annulare
« Reply #1 on: Monday June 22, 2009, 02:01:03 PM »
Wow this sounds promising! You should document your progress with pictures!.
I have been suffering with GA for 18 years, I hope I can get my doctor to try it!

Is this permanent or do you have to take antibiotics for the rest of your life?
« Last Edit: Monday June 22, 2009, 02:03:34 PM by Sthere67 »

Offline gainpa

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Monday June 29, 2009, 08:42:33 PM »
Hi.  I just saw your question about Rx duration for the ROM therapy for Granuloma Annulare.  So far, people have resolved after 3 months to 5 months.  With my severe case the prediction is that I may have to be on the meds longer.  I was advised to keep taking the meds until my condition clears.  Since the dose is only one time per month, it is safe to continue for a year to two years.  Hopefully, it will not take that long!  Time will tell and I will post the results to share with everyone should I start to see significant results.  FYI, I am feeling optimistic since some of my spots seem to be clearing.

Offline whofan

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday November 14, 2009, 04:53:31 PM »
Hi - I'm new to this website.  I've had GA for 15 years.  The creams just thinned my skin so I stopped using them.  Could you please post how your condition has progressed since you first started using the antibiotic pills?  I try to avoid taking drugs but would do it in a heartbeat if it meant getting rid of these horrible red rings that are mostly on my thighs.
Your experience with the drugs sounded so promising.  Is it working out well?

Offline gainpa

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday December 13, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »
Hello Whofan,
Sorry to take so long to reply.  I hardly ever check this site.
Yes, the ROM is working.
For details email me directly - I will see your message faster that way.

Offline tomcoady

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Monday February 22, 2010, 08:50:34 AM »
Wow this sounds promising! You should document your progress with pictures!.
I have been suffering with GA for 18 years, I hope I can get my doctor to try it!

Thanks. I hope you don't mind I reposted your formula on http://granuloma-annulare.com/?s=skincell as I'm trying to gather as many treatments as I can find. Please feel free to comment on any of the posts there.

Offline cchaney

• Registered member
« Reply #6 on: Monday December 06, 2010, 12:46:02 PM »
Hi everyone I live in the UK and am currently taking these drugs but suffering very bad side effects but willing to stick it out if it works! I have only been on it for 3 weeks and have been advised that I need to take for 3 months.   I have not noticed any changes as yet. 

Waiting for the hospital to come back to me re the side effects.

Offline cchaney

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Monday December 06, 2010, 02:51:31 PM »
Hi I am taking these drugs but suffering bad side effects.  My doctor has told me to stop taking them I am really sad about that as it gave me some hope.  I am going to see if I can get them changed so I don't get the side effects.

Offline caro1207

• Registered member
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday January 04, 2011, 10:25:24 AM »
Hello cchaney,

I am currently discussing this treatment with my dermatologist after reading the article by Dr Hamzavi. I have been suffering from disseminated GA for over 30 years now and it only cleared during my three pregnancies. UV treatment works best of all standard treatments but the GA only clears up as long as the treatment is continued.
In the article it is my understanding that the dosis is administered monthly. Is there a reason you are taking it daily?
We were wondering what is best: daily or monthly?
Are there any more patients out there with experience in this treatment?
Hope to hear from you or other GA sufferers.

Offline letter3855

• Registered member
daily ROM plus UV
« Reply #9 on: Sunday January 09, 2011, 03:35:13 AM »
I have just started ROM but daily rather than monthly.  My derm says I should know in one month if it is working.  I also started UVA booth three times a week. I am 53 year old female with 30 plus years of GA.  Verified with biopsy at age 20. I completely resolved during my pregnancies and it was always small enough to treat with Cortizon shots into the lesion.  Since menopause it has been totally out of control and over my trunk, legs, feet and some on my arms. A 30 day steroid taper worked twice but it comes back even worse once done. I hope the ROM and or the UV treatment work,

Offline king

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday January 19, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »

I went to my derm and asked for the R.O.M.. treatment and he suggested Plaquinol, 400mg.

He said it could take up to 3 months for results.

I have bought apple cider vinegar, and have been drinking that mixed with water, unfortunately not on a regular basis.

Offline wynn

• Registered member
« Reply #11 on: Sunday May 08, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »
I am almost one month into the ROM therapy (Rifampin, Ofloxacin, and minocycline) which I take once a month for 4 mths (so only had one dose so far) plus my dermatologist also prescribed pentoxifylline (which I take 3x/day) and something else that I took once a day for 7 days (but I forgot what that was). I have not noticed any change yet. My skin is incredibly itchy and sun really seems to exacerbate the redness and itchiness. Now it's warm weather and I am loathe to show my arms and legs...guess I have to figure out what is more important, my vanity or my comfort. I just want this stuff to disappear!

Offline yada yada

• Registered member
« Reply #12 on: Monday July 18, 2011, 08:08:03 AM »
Something in pregnancy makes it go away. Why do all the doctors I see seem to ignore that fact?? I have Granuloma Annulare. I have had it since I was about 16 . It started on my feet/ankles, then my shins, then elbow and wrists. I went to dozens of doctors and dermatologists and they always said it was temporary and would go away. They gave me creams. But the creams made my skin worse by making it thin and wrinkly and did not cure the problem. Then when I was about 21, It appeared on the back of my thighs and arms and hips. When I was 29 I got pregnant and it faded almost clear. Not one single doctor paid any attention to that fact. It got worse when I stopped nursing. Now I'm 45 and I just notices a new spot starting this week. It has never gotten better. Doctors don't listen at all! It's so frustrating. I tried to go on a gluten free diet for a week. I didn't notice a thing, except for the new spots. Next I will try to go off dairy, although I drank a lot of milk while I was pregnant and it went away. It never really goes away. It travels throughout the body. Where it is active, the bumps are raised. Where it used to be, there is just ruined skin. I just don't know. I think those of us that have it need to communicate more about our daily habits and see if we notice any common denominators.
Here are some things I always wondered about:
When I was a little girl, I used to peel old paint off my grandmothers house (probably had lead in it).
My father was exposed to Agent Orange in the vietnam war before I was born.
I used to play with the mercury from broken thermometers when I was a kid.
I drink a ton of caffeine, (which i cut down on when I was pregnant). Tea, coffee, and pepsi!
I had very very traumatic (some near death) experiences from infancy to age 16.

Offline jmathia

• Registered member
« Reply #13 on: Friday October 25, 2013, 02:47:52 PM »
Hi, i am new to this forum but I too have been suffering from GA since I was 19 (I'm 33 now).  It went away with some birth control pill (DIanne-35 I think) and while pregnant but now with my son 10 months old we are coming right back.  I used to get Kenalog injections prior to getting pregnant which worked really well.  I didn't have any side effects and went for monthly injections intramuscular (each cheek, bottom).  I didn't like taking the steroids but it did do the trick and now I am looking for something different to try once I finish nursing. 

Some people have mentioned that doctors don't seem to care that it went away during pregnancy...I believe it is because your immune system is down while pregnant so as to protect the fetus and so the T-cells don't accumulate like before.  I think since the birth control pills mimic pregnancy this is why it went away then too.   Doctors don't want to tell you to just stay pregnant and besides the pill there really isn't any way to duplicate having a fetus inside you.

I am happy to see that the medical society hasn't forgotten us and are still trying to find cures.  Good luck and keep the dialog open.