Author Topic: Round purple scar left from a boil  (Read 23859 times)

Offline newmilenium

• Registered member
Round purple scar left from a boil
« on: Monday January 19, 2009, 06:01:43 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I hope I can get some help, I've been meaning to post on a forum like this for months!

About 1 year ago I got a tattoo on my thigh. Everything was healing nicely, and one night as I was sleeping i scratched it, as it was itching hence the heeling, and made a couple of small red cuts, which were very minor, but right next to the cuts small very small and itchy rash was showing 2 days latter. I thought it was nothing and went to a CVS, explained the situation which was a very very dumb move, and they suggested me some special bandaids to put on and keep for 4-5 days and let it heal like that. I did so, and after a couple of days as I was taking these bandaids out most of the skin came off with it and i noticed infection and went to the ER immedietly. They told me it was something like Cellulitis which they said is very treateble, gave me some antiobiotics covered it up and sent me on my way. Everything went down, but in the course of the next couple of months I got 2 boils in different places which I never had before, one which went away after antibiotics and another after they made an incision. Mind you, they were very small but a pain in the butt. It's been a year, they told me after they cut the last one that it would be so the bacteria would leave and so it did cause I had no problems any more. I've been boil free. Been a year. So I have a couple of questions, how do I get rid off the purple marks left on my thigh (in 2 places) and 1 on my hip. They just don't look natural and I would like to remove it as it is on my tattoo which doesn't add to it at all. I hate it to be honest and would be very gratefull for any advice. Also, am I safe to get another tattoo? Since I have had many cuts and scratches to my skin because of my work environment I haven't had any problems and was told by my doctor that my body has beaten the infection, but to allways be carefull as in stay extra clean which I have been doing. I also noticed that the 2 other boils I had were from impact as in penetration and rubbing of the skin. One resulted from a fall, the other from carryng havy stuff for a day and putting it up against my hip where it was rubbing against it a lot. I had many other instances after they made the cut, but nothing came back so I do really hope I've beaten it... So I would be very thankfull to know how to get rid off the purple marks, or as in how to turn that part of the skin back to being whitish again instead of purple.
Thank you very much

Offline newmilenium

• Registered member
Re: Round purple scar left from a boil
« Reply #1 on: Monday January 19, 2009, 06:03:24 PM »
oh and for some reason i thought there would be a simple solution to this, but i've searched all over google and found 1000s of people who have the same problem asking questions, but no real answer... i am really dissapointed in that.....

Offline newmilenium

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Saturday January 24, 2009, 06:42:46 AM »
and no one can even try to help me out here?? nothing???

Offline Celery Peach

• Baby Goth Knits
« Reply #3 on: Saturday January 24, 2009, 01:49:27 PM »
Hi there, sorry I only just saw the post. There are a lot of questions there, I can hazard a guess but I am by no means a healthcare professional. Ideally, you should be getting some straight answers from the doctors you saw, or seek out a new one.

Well, I hate to be a scare mongerer but maybe you should look up Hidradenitis Suppurativa, or HS for short ? Unexplained 'boils' that leave a purple scar and cause Cellulitis just rings a few bells to me.

OR it may just have been a Staph infection that has been cleared up with the prescribed antibiotics.... It maybe that an infection entered your skin, either by scratching or by less than ideal hygienic practises by the tattooist. The rash could of been caused by an allergic reaction to the ink or the gunk you were putting on it.

All scars fade in time, I have yet to find a miracle solution to make them disappear and would challenge anyone or any miracle website that offers such things. If scars are spoiling the look of your tattoo, maybe you could add to the design, and cover them with more ink ?

I have both, purple scars on my inner thighs and my armpits and quite a few tattoos....if you think I can help with anything specific, please just ask...I'll always be honest  ;)

Offline newmilenium

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday January 24, 2009, 06:18:01 PM »
Thank you for your answer. I did look it up, the HS disease and it seems as if it is what I had but I havent had any other boils in a year now, so I think my body has beaten it, knock on wood. The one that they cut, docs told me to take 2 baths every day for about 3 weeks in hot water full of EPSOM SALT, and I did, it hurt too but it clearly has "eaten away" and cleared the bacteria, as they said. I hope, but I think I'm good to go on that. They also said it's a minor infection that has to be treated the way it was, otherwise they would keep comming back. I also had to put this "rope" thing in there after everybath and fill the hole, which has heeled beautifully but also left a purplish line where the cut was performed.  So I am not even worried about that, I just want to clear these ugly scars. I can't do nothing about them, because my tattoo is normal dark black ink, my skin is white, and the 2 round scars are dark purple, I don't think there is a tattoo in the world that can cover that up, unless I color half my leg in same purple tatto ink. And I don't think that they'll fade away any time soon, I mean it has been a year already!! I think I have also found a cure for the purplish scars, wouldn't that be something, I came here with the question and provided the answer....
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=15015&catid=13564&aid=333971&aparam=skin_success_eventone_fa&CAID=005f474b-a7d1-4ee0-bc37-724d5f5e8d68&trid=1232824567z436178z0a3d084821846z

You can get it on ebay, I have and I'm waiting for it to arrive, so I can try it out. There are some people who said that it worked on them, but if it doesn't I feel like I'm going to take a knife and cut it out so at least I can have a normal color scar, instead of this purple crap. JK, but it really does get on my nerves every morning I take a shower. I'm thinking plastic surgery has to be able to take care of that, if this cream doesn't work...
« Last Edit: Saturday January 24, 2009, 06:23:50 PM by newmilenium »

Offline newmilenium

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Monday January 26, 2009, 11:51:50 PM »
anyone think this product will work???
« Last Edit: Tuesday January 27, 2009, 01:37:05 AM by newmilenium »

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday January 27, 2009, 02:07:18 AM »
It kinda sounds like snake oil to me, but I've never used it so I can't say.  Probably it will lighten the skin somewhat, but as Barefoot has said, all scars fade over time.

I did do a Google search on the product looking for info from a reliable source, and I found precious little.  In honesty, since one of the sites I visited gave this product a very low safety score, I wouldn't use it.  Then again, I didn't really see what this safety score was based on.  ::)

If you try it, please let us know if it helps you.  Good luck!

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday January 27, 2009, 12:21:58 PM »
Good Morning newmilenium,
I read the product information and one ingredients is Lanolin, as I can remember someone on this website said that lanolin is not good for boils.
Just thought I would let you know.
Good luck with the scares, like everyone said time will help them fade.
mnm mom
there is good in everyone you just have to look for it. and some times you have to look really hard.

Offline newmilenium

• Registered member
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday January 27, 2009, 06:39:16 PM »
thank you for your answers!!
yes i know, but i'm kinda boil free still, so i was never planning on using it for that. trea tee oil works wonders with those i've heard...
i was at cvs yesterday and i found many scar treatment products some even say that they treat "dark spots from acne" so i wonder if those would help any???thank you for your help. i dunno what kind off danger this product can cause, since i will not be using it on a open wound so that doesn't make much sence, but i guess we'll see. i just payed for it today so i should have it soon...

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday January 27, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »
was at cvs yesterday and i found many scar treatment products some even say that they treat "dark spots from acne" so i wonder if those would help any???

I think I'd be inclined not to hop from product to product.  Since you've bought this stuff, give it a chance (unless it causes some sort of reaction) before trying something else.  If it should cause a reaction, give your skin a chance to recover before trying another product.

Just wondering if you've seen a dermatologist about your scars.

totalfolly

-- Vincent vanGogh

Offline newmilenium

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday January 28, 2009, 02:06:22 AM »
I'm just asking for advice. I allready bought a product and i am waiting to see what it does for a week or two, as i have high hopes for it. i'm just wondering and thinking ahead. haven't seen a derm. jet, but i plan on doing so.
« Last Edit: Wednesday January 28, 2009, 02:08:08 AM by newmilenium »

Offline newmilenium

• Registered member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday January 28, 2009, 10:59:12 PM »
or does anyone know about this i found?

Home Remedies for Skin Infection Scars

Applying oil and massage it, this helps the stimulation of the tissues to revive the skin and help in removing the scars.
Applying cocoa butter is also a good remedy in getting rid of the scars.
Using wheatgrass spray to reduce the scar effects on your body.

Offline Celery Peach

• Baby Goth Knits
« Reply #12 on: Thursday January 29, 2009, 08:25:55 AM »
My advice would be as I originally stated. Scars cannot be removed by any magic potion, lotion or the power of massage. Theres a lot of snake oil out there and lots of snakes peddling it, if you feel the need to waste your cash on every product that can provide a few bogus testimonies then thats up to you. As human beings, we are all vain to some extent and we would all love to have flawless skin and this is what these snakes pray on. Acne treatments and remedies are also big business.

Many of us here are just happy to be free of pain.

Perhaps you should research the clinical findings from sources that are not trying to sell you something ? Maybe then you might get the real answers ?

Scars fade in time, rarely do they dissapear completely. Any moisturiser such as cocoa butter etc will benefit any 'normal' ie without a medical condition skin and improve the top layers. Lanolin would make anything feel soft.

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
« Reply #13 on: Thursday January 29, 2009, 12:11:01 PM »
Many of us here are just happy to be free of pain.

Amen.

Applying cocoa butter is also a good remedy in getting rid of the scars.

If cocoa butter would get rid of scars, the stretch marks from my pregnancies would be long gone.  Barefoot is right on--scars will fade, not disappear.

totalfolly

-- Vincent vanGogh

Offline newmilenium

• Registered member
« Reply #14 on: Thursday January 29, 2009, 05:47:33 PM »
Wow... i feel like i'm getting attacked, or called out? or am i not at the right forum? is it so bad i'm trying to find a solution to it and looking up every damn possible thing? where did i say or even imply that i am buying every possible thing? i've just bought one CHEAP 4 dollar cream in a year!!! i'm just posting every idea that came to my head, as it might remind someone or something!! either way i would really appreciate some advice on how to get rid of the scars, (no i kno they wont go away all the way, but just fade away THEY WILL) as this is a skin disorder forum, thought maybe someone been through this, as i see people with hs and they get similar scars too....please stop comming at me with common sence answers are starting to annoy me since they are not helping at all and are only putting me in a bad mood... but i guess no one wants to give any real advice, since i am not in pain, that's good enough....
thank you all for your help. if anyone has any other advice, please let me know...

now how about this i found

I scar VERY easily, even pesky mosquito bites leave nasty purple scars. What I did, I found a product called CURAD SCAR THERAPY. I've tried them all (Mederma, Obagi etc....) NOTHING works as AWESOME as the Curad Scar Therapy. It's like a thick bandaid you apply to your scar and let it sit for as long as possible (I even showered with them on!) My scars faded to my skin coloring. They went away within a week, but I'm sure the time varies with your day to day activities and also skin condition. I just wanted to share with you because I tell this to all my friends, I should really be working and promoting for Curad!!! LOL.

it's a quote from another message board. i saved it in case this new product doesn't work. which thanks to some optimistic cheerfull members i allready know won't... ::) so i kept looking, they DO have it on ebay of course. it's more expencive, but there is many other people with purple scars that say this thing fades em away in 2 weeks or so, COMPLETLY... might be worth a shot, if that's ok with barefoot, or i'm just a vain dumb human being trying to help himself...? thank you again
« Last Edit: Thursday January 29, 2009, 05:51:20 PM by newmilenium »

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
« Reply #15 on: Thursday January 29, 2009, 07:30:53 PM »
might be worth a shot, if that's ok with barefoot, or i'm just a vain dumb human being trying to help himself...?

This really isn't necessary.  You asked if anyone thought the product you purchased would get rid of your scar.  We told you we really didn't think so.  You asked about some other products and I cautioned you against trying product after product in quick succession.  No, you didn't say that was what you were going to do, but there are plenty of people who do just that.

By no means did anyone here suggest that trying to rid yourself of your scar is "vain".  Nor do I feel any attack was made on you, but I'm sorry if you thought so.  Admittedly, many of us on SkinCell suffer a great deal with our varied skin conditions, but your problem is no less important if it bothers you.   If you got that impression, please accept my apology.  Posts aren't always interpreted in the manner they were intended.

With that said, common sense answers are precisely that--common sense.  If you consider common sense to be annoying or not "real advice", so be it but that's what you're most likely to get here.  It sounds like you're looking for a magic bullet, and most of us have found that there isn't any such animal.

totalfolly

-- Vincent vanGogh

Offline newmilenium

• Registered member
« Reply #16 on: Thursday January 29, 2009, 11:24:04 PM »
I apologize too and I am sorry to hear people are going through worse problems. I felt insulted for no reason I guess...so i was wrong and i appologize once again.
I think even if I was going through other unpleasant stuff I'd still very much be looking for a scar remover... I know there have to be some out there, because just by looking at it I can tell it is fadable. It is not imbossible, just not very common, so looking around is a must. It kinda gets in my intimacy life too.... you get the point. i guess i can share that here too... but i will also try me best to find a solution and let you all know so you know how to get rid off em too. i'm just surprised that no one here doesnn't have ANY advice, or anyone that has found a way. that is just very strange and unbeliavable to me expecially seeing that there are so many members here too.
« Last Edit: Friday January 30, 2009, 05:54:56 AM by newmilenium »

Offline Celery Peach

• Baby Goth Knits
« Reply #17 on: Friday January 30, 2009, 08:18:35 AM »
 :) I'm sorry if I offended you newmilenium. I thought I was actually being helpful, in the fact that I was replying to you when few others had took the time to.

It is my belief that there is no known cure for scars. That they fade in time. And that there are people out there that would pray on people like yourself that want a quick fix scar fade.

I am covered in scars actually, from HS in my armpits, in my groin, tops of thighs, under my breasts, on my backside and on my back. I have self harm scars on my upper arm from a rough teenage life and I have the scars of being a mother ie big fat stretchmarks all the way up my stomach. Am I embarressed ? Am I desperate for a cure ? Do people, most importantly, my husband love me any less because of them ? I dont think so ! Forgive me for suggesting that anyone might be a little vain ? I think we all are ! As part of the human condition. I certainly got my half sleeve tattoo so that people would look at me. All of my scars have faded in time.

If you dont like the answer then why ask the question ? I am just being honest, like I am with everyone. I cant recommend anything to you, as I havnt found anything, unbelievable as that may sound to you.

You on the other hand are being rather caustic, and some might suggest, rude, but not to worry, my skin is thick (in several places apparently) Best of luck with your fade cream/bleach. I'm just happy to be pain free right now, sod the scars, they are part of who I am.

Offline newmilenium

• Registered member
« Reply #18 on: Friday January 30, 2009, 04:37:57 PM »
i def. appreciate your help! i totally understand what you mean, but i am not married, just turned 21 by the way, and it can be a little bit akward, thats all i mean. and the fact that its on my tattoo makes it even worse ya know?
now you said you got a tattoo still, did the friction caused to your skin have any negative reactions?
how long does it take for the scars to fade by the way, naturally?

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
« Reply #19 on: Friday January 30, 2009, 08:54:08 PM »
how long does it take for the scars to fade by the way, naturally?

Erk.  Good question.  Seems to me it was a year or so before my stretch marks went from purple to silver but that was so many years ago it's hard to recall.  ::)

I also have tattoos, but I've been pretty careful to keep them so moisturized that my *E doesn't seem to cause any problem with them.

totalfolly

-- Vincent vanGogh