Author Topic: Skin peeling and breaking on fingers  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Noah

• Registered member
Skin peeling and breaking on fingers
« on: Friday January 16, 2009, 02:14:33 PM »
I have an issue going on with my fingers having skin breakouts (or so I think). Both of my two index fingers have skin peeling off of them right along the sides and the skin feels very hard and easy to tear. It doesn't spread and it doesn't appear to be contagious. There is also small amounts of blood coming from the cracks where the skin started to peel and they are also itchy but I didn't itch to get the skin to peel open and bleed. I haven't spotted any puss yet. It also seems wet when the skin peels, almost like water if I didn't know any better. I also have skin peeling where my knuckle bones are on my right hand and it has a slight but constant sting, same as my fingers. The skin looks red-ish and pink around the sides where its peeling, it seems irritated and it's painful and hurts to bend my fingers. I have no idea what's causing this to happen but it's been going on for about 2 months so far. I tried skin ointments like Neosporin and it hasn't helped any. I'm not sure if I should see a doctor or what.

I would appreciate if someone could help me find out what this is. I haven't had much luck so far.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: Friday January 16, 2009, 02:54:36 PM by Noah »

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
Re: Skin peeling and breaking on fingers
« Reply #1 on: Friday January 16, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »
Hiya, Noah, and welcome to SkinCell!

IMO you should see a dermatologist about this.  A derm should be able to diagnose your skin problem and offer treatment that will help.

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline Noah

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Saturday January 17, 2009, 03:17:38 PM »
Thank you for the welcome and advice but do you really think it's that serious to see a doctor about it? I'm reaching out for any help I can get to help me make the right decisions. I might go just to see what the doctor has to say and for a diagnosis, just to be on the safe side. I am thinking of showing you a picture of how my fingers look, the weird thing is they don't appear to be healing.

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
« Reply #3 on: Saturday January 17, 2009, 10:16:05 PM »
do you really think it's that serious to see a doctor about it?

It probably isn't serious, but we're not medical professionals here and really can't tell you what it is--it could be one of any number of conditions.  If it is bothering you and isn't healing, then I think a trip to a derm is called for.

In the mean time, look at the ingredients in any cleansers or ointments you're using.  It's possible you could be reacting to something in them.  Soap is very drying so you might consider switching to a soap substitute (I use Cetaphil) and washing your hands less often if possible, using tepid or even cool water rather than very hot water.  My hands always get terribly dry during winter, and excessive hand-washing, particularly in hot water, makes the problem worse.  You might also consider using a moisturizer.  Of course, if any products cause further problems, discontinue their use immediately!

Please let us know what you find out.

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh