Author Topic: spider bite that just will not heal and now has triggered Sjogren's  (Read 13990 times)

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
spider bite that just will not heal and now has triggered Sjogren's
« on: Monday September 29, 2008, 05:00:50 AM »
Hello everyone,
 have a question for everyone.
I was bitten by a small ( no bigger then you thumb nail ) spider while at the pool.  The spider has a long lean body shape with a black body and two yellow stripes running the lengh of it's body. There were about 6 on my towel when I went to sit down. At seeing them I shook out the towel thinking I had gotten rid of them all. well there was still a few on the underside of the towell that was on my legs and feet The bite is on the top of my foot.  the bite it self just looked like a bad mosquito bite, it never blistered only the skin around the bite about three inches round turned purple and has stayed that way. At first the bite burned like being stung by a bee.the burning lasted about 9 days and grew to just the top of my foot to the whole leg below the knee. During that time my leg started to swell and my knee felt like it was in a vise. I saw the Dr. and he did some blood work and gave me antibiotics. After the 10 days on the meds my leg just kept swelling to the point where on a sunday morning I went to the hospital. By now both legs were badly swollen and both knees felt like they were in a vise. The pain would wake me in the night my knees with the feeling like the vise was on them. The Hospital said you are retaining water and to cut down on salt and drink a gallon of water a day and see your own Doctor. Well I went back to see the Dr. and he ran more blood work and gave me a different antibiotic. Well after two weeks it seemed to be getting better, but three days after stopping the meds. it started up again but worse this time. both legs are so swollen that they hurt just from that, my knees are worse and now I itch all over. So the Dr. sent me for more blood work and wants X-rays of my legs. I have allready been check for blood clots two times there are no clots. He is now checking my kidneys with blood work and put me back on the meds I took last and something for arthritis. Now my legs are still badly swollen, my knees are the same, and the itch is still there.

Here is my question: does anyone have any advice for me because this has been going on now for six weeks.

Please please help if you can.
Thank you,
mnm mom
« Last Edit: Sunday November 23, 2008, 01:17:08 PM by mnm mom »
there is good in everyone you just have to look for it. and some times you have to look really hard.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
Re: spider bite that just will not heal
« Reply #1 on: Monday September 29, 2008, 02:12:48 PM »
Mnm,
are you by chance in the southern US?  I ask because there are some terrible venomous spiders in that part of the world, and I am wondering if perhaps one of them bit you.  Having said that, I'm sure your doctors would be aware of such things, provided they know that it was a spider that bit you. 

Maybe you could google a photo of the spider that bit you, just to be certain... I don't know that your course of treatment would be any different, but I'm sure it will help to know what you are dealing with.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #2 on: Monday September 29, 2008, 03:06:35 PM »
hello itchychick,
no I live in New Jersey USA.
I see the Dr. today, I will post after.
mnm mom
there is good in everyone you just have to look for it. and some times you have to look really hard.

Offline CazAngel

• SkinCell God
  • An Enigma
    • My Facebook page.
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday September 30, 2008, 01:53:52 AM »
Sounds like a St. Andrews Cross Spider. I found a spider info page (actually two) where you can go and it'll give you a list of spiders, what they look like and info about them. Good luck, hun.

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html

http://www.spiderzrule.com/commonspidersusa.htm
With care,
Caz (Carolyn)
xx :hugs:

"Nonviolence is not a garment to be put on and off at will.
Its seat is in the heart, and it must be an inseparable part of our being." - Gandhi

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination." - Einstein

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday September 30, 2008, 04:01:56 AM »
Thanks CazAngel,
But the spider looks more like a funnel web or a hobo spider with the yellow running the lengh of the body.
I was just looking at the spider I caught and now it is dead but it built a very random web in the jelly jar.

Well I saw the Dr. today and he told me that my kidneys work just fine and he is sending me to a infectious disease Dr. who said that they can't see me till mid October.
He put down on the sheet Synovitis which is arthritis.
I will call him again tomorrow and ask him if he can get me in to see them sooner or at least have the blood work done to see what is going on. So when I do get to see them we will not have to wait another week for the results.
In the mean time I am to stop taking the meds he gave me stay off my feet as much as possible and drink only 32oz of fluid a day. I drink a gallon  of water a day since I have had my 1st born. Oh just shoot me.
Thank you,
mnm

Offline CazAngel

• SkinCell God
  • An Enigma
    • My Facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday September 30, 2008, 04:23:08 AM »
Thanks CazAngel,
But the spider looks more like a funnel web or a hobo spider with the yellow running the lengh of the body.
I was just looking at the spider I caught and now it is dead but it built a very random web in the jelly jar.

Well I saw the Dr. today and he told me that my kidneys work just fine and he is sending me to a infectious disease Dr. who said that they can't see me till mid October.
He put down on the sheet Synovitis which is arthritis.
I will call him again tomorrow and ask him if he can get me in to see them sooner or at least have the blood work done to see what is going on. So when I do get to see them we will not have to wait another week for the results.
In the mean time I am to stop taking the meds he gave me stay off my feet as much as possible and drink only 32oz of fluid a day. I drink a gallon  of water a day since I have had my 1st born. Oh just shoot me.
Thank you,
mnm

I was n't sure what was what, you said black with yellow stripes, so I thought I'd just give you the resources. :) ..and you're welcome, anytime. :hugs:
With care,
Caz (Carolyn)

Its seat is in the heart, and it must be an inseparable part of our being." - Gandhi

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday September 30, 2008, 01:15:37 PM »
good morning CazAngel,
I am very sorry I did not thank you for the two web sites, they were very helpful.
mnm mom

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday October 01, 2008, 08:52:19 PM »
That is really odd. The spider you describe doesn't sound poisonous... it's definitely not a fiddleback. Those are brown.

I have quite the story about a male black widow... posted it on here a while back. (http://www.skincell.org/community/index.php/topic,20763.msg255331.html#msg255331 reply #3) It was the most beautiful spider I have ever seen... black with red and yellow markings. It also built a random web. But those are not poisonous, and besides I expect you would see the hourglass marks on its belly. I can't find a picture! This is driving me nuts! All the pics I'm scaring up show brown spiders, but I assure you, "Freddy" was black.

You ought to take the spider in for your doctor to see. Once someone positively identifies it, you'll at least know what you're dealing with.
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday October 14, 2008, 07:52:23 AM »
Good morning,
Well I saw the two different Drs. The arthritis Dr. had a great deal of blood work done gave me laxis and said I will see you in two weeks. Well the swelling is now much better and I have gotten to tour all the reststops in the area  :lol:. Anyway he thinks that the spider bite now has my own body attacking itself. That is his reason for the fluid retention and my painful knees.
Well today I saw the infectious disease Dr. and he said after looking at all the blood work he can not help me because the damage is allready done and go back to the arthritis Dr. The infection Dr. says it looks like lupus.............. Just kill me now.
I will call the arthritis Dr. tomorrow to see if I can see him sooner.
Well I can't sleep tonight from worrying and I itch all over.
mnm mom

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday October 14, 2008, 07:50:06 PM »
Although I generally advocate a certain level of self sufficiency, being possibly bitten by an unknown, possibly venomous arthropod, and having a lesion which did not spontaneously begin to improve in fairly short order, I would be briskly searching for a toxicologist.

But what could also be happening might not be directly due to the venom itself, but to secondary infection at the site of the bite. 

Though your fluid intake as described seems somewhat excessive, don't know that I would have advised you to cut back all the way to a quart a day.

If I were in your position I would be taking a second
multivitamin/mineral and perhaps something that would reestablish the balance in electrolytes which might have been leached away by the excess of water intake.  Being attended by physicians as you are, it is worthwhile to discuss this with them the next time you see them.  Good luck.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline CazAngel

• SkinCell God
  • An Enigma
    • My Facebook page.
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday October 15, 2008, 06:53:25 AM »
Hey there again.  :)

I'm sorry to hear this is being a royal pain in the butt. Though, it is good to hear the swelling has went down a bit.  As for Lupus, I am sorry, Hun... My grandmother has an Auto immune condition in the same family as Lupus, Sjogren's.

I have heard of some cases of having a reaction to something or another condition triggering an early stage Auto immune condition, so that makes me wonder if that happened with you, but that just made me think of what I heard. Is the doctor certain you have Lupus?

As for what Arthro said, maybe you should see a doctor that works with toxicity. I'm not sure about the fluids, did the doctor mention why they wanted you to drink so much?

Please keep us updated. I'm sending my best wishes your way. :hugs:
With care,
Caz (Carolyn)

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #11 on: Sunday October 19, 2008, 01:26:11 AM »
hello,
It's been a busy week sorry it is taking me so long to get back to you.
Thank you both CazAngel and anthropositor for your advice
About the water the Dr. thought it would help flush the extra water I was carring because he thought I was not drinking enough water to begin with. this was the advice from the ER Dr. while on vacation. Now when I got home my family Dr. said no do not drink that much water it will just make it worse so he was the one who told me to drink a quart a day only. I drink that much every day, while I was nursing my kids the Dr. recommended drinking a gallon a day so I would have no trouble feeding them. Well after they were finished I just kept drinking that much because I was use to it. And now it is just second nature for me. And yes I do take a vitamin everyday and I eat a banana and drink orange juice also so there should not be any trouble there.
The arthritis Dr. has no opening till my up coming appt.
Right now my legs are just abit swollen the bite is still not healed, it has a scab but that will not go away. I am at a total lose why that is still there. My right knee is still taking the worst of the two ( even tho I was bit on my left leg ) It is still hot and just not happy at all. I have told all 4 Drs. that I have seen that I can have a bad infection and my blood work says I am fine but no one wants to hear it. Maybe I should get letters from the Drs. who treated the bad infections I had and the blood work showed nothing. That might make them listen.

Oh I almost forgot to tell you the best part about seeing the Dr. that deals with venoms, he said why did you not see me when it happened that way we could have taken care of it then and you would not be having this trouble now. I stood up, the Dr. is short maybe 4 foot 9 inches, I stand 5 foot 8 inches. And said with a bit of anger in my voice, this is the soonest your staff could get me in even tho I told them the trouble, they said go see your family Dr. for right now. He just looked at me and said well your knee is bad because of your age, and I said that it just started to act up after I was bitten it was fine before. He just looked at me and said see the front desk there is nothing I can do for you.
is life not fun or what.
mnm mom

Offline CazAngel

• SkinCell God
  • An Enigma
    • My Facebook page.
« Reply #12 on: Sunday October 19, 2008, 02:02:34 AM »
Wow, so sorry. Some doctors are so frustrating. I had gotten Fibromyalgia symptoms in early teens, I was not over weight then...... but yet because my Rheumatologist wasn't sure what to say, he just said I most likely had such severe Fibro because of my weight, I was average weight when I got it and I've lost 80 lbs since and no difference. Some doctors shouldn't be doctors, just because you don't want to look clueless or wrong, doesn't mean you blame, humiliate or sweep someone in need under the rug, so sorry that happened to you as well. :hugs:
« Last Edit: Sunday October 19, 2008, 02:04:22 AM by CazAngel »
With care,
Caz (Carolyn)

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday October 22, 2008, 01:08:54 AM »
Well I saw the Dr. today,
My test say with no question I have Sjogren's. The Dr. has started my treatment for it. My Knees are 1st on the list to worry about. The Dr. is also looking at the other problems that this causes,  :'( :'( :'(
mnm mom
« Last Edit: Wednesday October 22, 2008, 01:31:10 AM by mnm mom »

Offline CazAngel

• SkinCell God
  • An Enigma
    • My Facebook page.
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday October 22, 2008, 05:55:44 AM »
Aww, hun. :hugs: I'm always around if you need a friend or someone to talk to.
With care,
Caz (Carolyn)

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday October 22, 2008, 12:20:35 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear it. :hugs: Don't know what to say... Lupus is one scary thing.
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday October 22, 2008, 01:44:38 PM »
Thank you Bamawing and CazAngel,
My mom tried to cheer me up today by telling me to go have a shirt made up that says " I told you I was sick". I am still in shock but hopeful. Well I guess I will not be working on my vacation tan this year when we go to Florida.
Thanks again,
mnm mom

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday October 29, 2008, 12:18:24 AM »
Well it has been a week I would like to forget, but it does have a hopeful ending.

This has nothing to do with my current problem but it does affect our everyday life here in the neighborhood. My two next door neighbors are having trouble at home that is spreading out of the houses and into the street. The one just threw her husband out, and all his things too. I had to explane to the kids what was going on. Well I really lied to them I told them that they were doing some fall cleaning. The other side which is a joy all the time lately decided to take there daily fight out to the back yard where the whole block could hear them. Well lets just say that we went out so we did not have to listen to the language coming from their house and oh lets not forget the glass breaking in there back yard as they screamed at each other. I heard that while we were getting into the car. And yes I have called the police on them too many times and nothing has changed. Well they have gotten louder and have run out of words to use it seems because all they say is ... well you guys can figure it out and it is not polite to write it either. The joys of living on a small lot with people right on top of you. What I would not give to have a nice large tree filled yard to keep out the noise. But it's getting cold now so the one side I will not hear from until spring when they open up the windows again. The other side, well they have allways been quiet. Now there is just no husband around.

And now some good news :) I had my knees drained today, oh what a relief. I do not care how big that needle was, my knees feel much better :)
The med. he gave me did not work Plaquenil is it's name. It is use to treat RA and malaria. Well I took one of them and broke out in a very pretty dark pink rash, all over........ Called Dr. he said ( he was talking to me on the phone not his staff ) well don't take that again, don't worry you are not going to die take 100mg of antihistamine every four hours for the next two days and have your husband pick up the RX. I just sent to your pharmacy. He gave me a methylprednisolone pack 4mg for six days. Well I slept for two days  :roll: my husband would wake me up to give me my pills and feed me, he did all the rest :praise: :praise: Ten points to the husband. He is a good man when he wants to be . Just kidding.

Well my pretty rash is gone and my knees feel better, so life is good. I will have them X-rayed again tomorrow and I see him again in a week to drain them if need be and to try a different med.
mnm mom

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #18 on: Sunday November 02, 2008, 06:11:24 AM »
 :'(
Well my right knee is bad again, It has swollen up just as before. That took less than a week. And now my left shoulder is full of fluid  :'( It hurts very badly. The Dr. said this is what will happen till he can get me on some meds. to calm it down other than Medrol. He gave up on the six day packs now I'm taking 16mg a day. It is not helping much, and I still can't sleep because it hurts so bad.  :'(
 This whole mess could not come at a worse time we are going away for two weeks. My Dr. and I will find someone where we are staying to treat the fluid build up in my joints if need be. i have spent months planning this trip. But I will look on the bright side even tho we will be in a different time zone I will have a Dr. I can see if it acts up. I think we will just set up at least one appt. before we leave that way We all should have a good time.

I really should not complain the JSorgens could have gone after my digestive system instead.
Thank you for letting me rant. :'( :'(
mnm mom

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Sunday November 02, 2008, 11:22:06 AM »
:hugs: I hope you have a good time on this trip regardless, and I really hope you feel better!!! :hugs: