Author Topic: Dyshidrotic Eczema  (Read 12213 times)

Offline SOFcowgirl

• Registered member
Dyshidrotic Eczema
« on: Monday June 02, 2008, 05:09:37 PM »
     Hello all! I am new here! I have had eczema for a very long time, mostly on my neck and into my scalp. I got a wonderful perscription from my doctor (called Flucocinonide) that cleared that up, and it's now under control.
     But alas, another problem has come up! It started about a year ago. I show horses, and we were at a week-long county fair. My horse's leg was stiff, so I put on non-latex gloves and rubbed liniment on it. The next morning, my fingers and thumbs looked like cottage cheese and itched like crazy. We thought I had gotten into poison ivy, but it didn't go away, and it didn't break open. Since then, it has gone though several flares, mostly during hotter months (it was actually pretty passive in winter).
     Now that it is warm again, it's flaring. I think it may have something to do with my hands sweating. I'm almost positive that it is dyshidrotic eczema, or pompholyx (I'm not sure if I spelled that correctly...). My hands start to itch like crazy, I scratch them, and little clear-liquid filled bumps appear. If it pop these bumps, the itching stops. Natually, I pop them, but then I have little sores all over my hands for a week or so. It's mostly on the insides of my fingers, the heels of my hands, and the outsides of my thumbs. My palms itch, and the skin is thickening, but no bumps ever surface there. It always itches more in the morning and at night for some reason. The Flucocinonide doesn't have any effect on it either.
     So... any remedies? I know there aren't any cures, and I do plan to see a dermatologist ASAP, but I was wondering if anyone had found any home remedies that helped relieve itching. I have tried soaking my hands in warm diluted vinegar, and it really didn't help, although many people said it would . I have heard that pouring hydrogen peroxide over your hands helps too, but I tried that as well with no luck.

Thanks so much! I'm so glad I found this site!
« Last Edit: Monday June 02, 2008, 05:11:17 PM by SOFcowgirl »

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
Re: Dyshidrotic Eczema
« Reply #1 on: Monday June 02, 2008, 08:12:33 PM »
Hiya, SOFcowgirl, and welcome to SkinCell!

I'm told that apple cider vinegar may soothe the itch (not regular white vinegar).  I haven't tried it myself but some members report success with it.  Try using cool ACV rather than warm.

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: Monday June 02, 2008, 08:18:30 PM »
Hi Cowgirl!

It does sound an awful lot like dyshydrotic eczema, from your description.  Unfortunately, I have not found any topical prescriptions that I use on my other eczema to be helpful either. 

As TF suggests, try using chilled ACV.  I've not tried it myself, but others on the site swear by it.  You could also try running an ice cube along the itchy spots for a few seconds, and see whether that relieves the itch.

Lastly, I've not tried this, but I have heard of some studies being done with Botox injections to curb this type of e.  The idea is to eliminate the sweating.  I would get a definitive diagnosis from your doc, though, if you are thinking of trying something more potent than just the ACV.

Good luck!

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #3 on: Monday June 02, 2008, 10:43:26 PM »
Welcome!

I'm the member who swears by apple cider vinegar. ;D But warm is NOT the way to go... you need it cold. Cold soothes the itch... that's probably why it's worse in the summer. It's also why the evenings and mornings are worse for me... I'm a champion cuddler, and I snuggle my hands under the covers at night. I keep my ACV in the 'fridge.

I'm intrigued by the itch going away, though. When I pop my blisters, they just keep on itching in absensia. My palms aren't as bad, although during really bad flares I'll get blisters on them, too. Mind you, I'm self-diagnosed, so I may be wrong and I've really got something else.

Another thing you may want to consider is what your triggers are. Mine was pretty simple: hand lotion. Any kind of hand lotion. Even the hypo-allergenic guarenteed-this-will-not-hurt-you-doctor-given lotion. I have a fine collection of expensive lotions at my house. :nod: But when I started avoiding lotion like the plague, I had way fewer flares. Is something in the non-latex gloves maybe to blame?

I love horsies! My sister's thoroughbred mare *just* had a little filly! She's like, 90% legs. Adorable! Kathy hasn't named her yet...

I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline SOFcowgirl

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday June 03, 2008, 04:55:16 PM »
Aw, cute!  ;D Hope everything goes well for her filly!

I am self-diagnosed too. I am hoping to get into a dermatologist soon. I am going on a 2 week trip to Europe in a week, and I am positive that no dermatologist could get me in that soon. So it'll have to wait!
I'm pretty sure the original trigger was the gloves, although the liniment could have done it too, if it soaked through the gloves. But I have since then put gel liniment on myself and nothing has happened. So... stupid gloves.
Other than that, I haven't found any triggers other than the heat and sweaty hands. My daily routine stays the same, but flares come and go.

Offline littlelady

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday June 10, 2008, 02:21:08 AM »
Hello
Welcome to the forum!! Great place to be. ;D Your condition sounds a lot like mine. After you scratch it and the little filled bumps come up do they later crack and break open and bleed and then get sore. If they do then you probably have what I have it is called dyshidrosis dermatitis. Oh and does the bumps look like poison oak or ivy.  I will let you now what I liked and what I didn't like later. I'm sorry but I have to go now. Will tell you soon. When are you going back to your dermatologist? Bye   
« Last Edit: Tuesday June 10, 2008, 02:27:40 AM by littlelady »

Offline vidalsandheim

• Registered member
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday September 23, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »
Hi

I've had this type of eczema since I was a child, but only realised what it was and what caused it over the last few months. I also tried a helpful routine which has ENORMOUSLY improved the condition. I know that it's totally different from what others have found useful. But it's been good for me!!!! :)

1. Although there may be a stress-related component as in all skin disorders, there is an extremely clear stimulus response. Any contact with a number or irritants will immediately set off the condition (within minutes, if not seconds), with the resulting blistering/cracking then taking days, weeks, or months to eventually calm down again if left alone.

Known irritants (for me) include:
-fruit juice (avoid peeling with fingers etc.)
-the juice from tomatoes (avoid splashes while cutting)
-damp or dusty undergrowth (pollen? spores? humidity?)
-working with damp or dirty gardening gloves
-at times, anything that will make my hands even slightly moist, oily, sweaty etc. Sheesh!

In general, I also avoid all cleaning products, detergents, smelly soap etc.

2. While I've had steroid cream for other sorts of eczema (reactions to nickel, leather etc.) which has seemed to work quite well, the steroid cream never seemed to work on the blister / cracking syndrome.

3. Before even knowing what the condition was I'd noticed that the  only thing that calmed the itch and the propagation of the blisters was washing my hands in REALLY HOT water. Later I heard about vinegar soaks and I eventually tried a variant of what is described in the link below.
http://www.geocities.com/vyera/dyshidrosis/donmcg.html

Here's my routine which has made an enormous difference, with a great improvement in only 3-4 days.

- 4 times a day or so I fill the bottom of the basin with water as hot as I can stand (somewhere around 45-50° centigrade - hot enough for the skin to prickle and go pink without causing pain) in which I add about 10-20ml of clear distilled vinegar (like that used for pickling).
- I let my hands stand in the water for a couple of minutes then dry them with a towel, then finish drying with a kleenex to make sure there's no excess water.
- I rub in a little knob of vaseline and then wipe off any excess with a kleenex.
-Instead of instantly drying out again (as with other creams I've tried) the vaseline really seems to lock in the moisture. It also helps the dead skin to flake off quicker.
-Be careful not to pull flakes off if they're not coming on their own (they can tear to far and cause tiny little scars and more discomfort). Use clean nail clippers to clip off any tiny flakes that haven't fallen by themselves.

If I don't go through the super-hot soak first, the contact with any sort of cream can set off more blistering on contact. So it's important for me to soak before applying the cream. (I've also tried with zinc cream, but the vaseline really works best for me.)

Hope this helps somebody out.
« Last Edit: Tuesday September 23, 2008, 05:11:00 PM by vidalsandheim »