Author Topic: Motor Oil & Washing Machines  (Read 6799 times)

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
Motor Oil & Washing Machines
« on: Tuesday April 01, 2008, 06:06:54 PM »
Help!!

Son works on cars in coveralls.......now all the "clean" wash smells oily.

An appliances salesperson said the fluids had probably gone between the two washer drums.

How do you do-it-yourselfers keep your coveralls, AND the washer clean? We clean the drum out each time as you can see the oil rim on the drum, but it's obviously not enough. Lingerie eau-de-oil yecch!!

Jane
It's a good day when you laugh!

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
Re: Motor Oil & Washing Machines
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday April 01, 2008, 06:24:30 PM »
Jane,

If my washer gets a bit pongy, I put it through a boil wash with no clothes and some powder. Usually works.

Maybe you could dilute some sort of degreaser and put it in the drum.

Kindest Regards,

Matt.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday April 01, 2008, 06:34:16 PM »
 Jane> You should be able to get the oil "scent"  out of
your washing machine by running several empty loads using
only vinegar, then run an empty load using only hydrogen peroxide,
and then run an empty load using only bleach.

One, all or several of these things should work. You can see which one works best for you by using all three, one at a time.

In the future, you can pre-treat his coveralls with mechanic's "Mojo", (the stuff they use to get the grime off their hands), by soaking them in a tub of water and rinsing them off before they go into the washing machine.

Each time he or you wash those oily cover-alls, you should then run an empty load or two with bleach, vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, whichever worked best for you.

Give it try today, and let me know if it did the trick.  ;)
When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday April 01, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »
Hi Matt & Blue,

Thank you both. Heavens that's a lot of work it seems. The coveralls need washing about every other day.

I like the Mojo idea Blue, and agree that an "empty" run is required afterwards -- hot water I suppose?

Thanks,

Jane

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday April 02, 2008, 01:52:46 AM »
 Well, Jane, I think if you experiment with those three things, one of them will be sure to work. I would just use bleach and hot water.

The reason you will want to run a bunch of empty loads at first, is to really get the oily scent out, and then just run a back up after the coveralls are done to keep it fresh.

Your son might even have a container of Mojo or something like it that he uses to clean his hands with right now, or maybe he is out and needs a new container. Buy two.  ;D   He gets one and your laundry gets the other.

Let me know if this  solves the current situation. It would also helps to run some fabric softener for the fresh scent, too. Maybe you already do, but the fabric softener alone won't do the trick, the bleach should really solve it.
When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday April 02, 2008, 02:05:07 AM »
Hi BB, thanks.

It's not just an odour problem, the oil, motor fluids, have got between the 2 drums, so there's actual product there between them.

What it needs is some sort of degreaser run in an empty machine. I use bleach quite frequently.........I agree, I need a full washing machine with bleach, and/or vinegar.

My camisole is so fragrant, my clean one......aaahhh well, not a biggy, but an aggravation.

Jane again thanks!

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday April 02, 2008, 05:58:45 AM »
  I thought about you tonight, Jane, when I saw a commercial for a de-greaser that comes in a spray bottle. The lady in the commercial said    "Bleach is great for killing germs, but this degreaser gets out the grease."

I can not remember the actual name of the degreaser, but I had an idea. Why not buy a spray bottle of degreaser (I _think_ it was called something like "mean green" or "Purple power" or....something else.) and use a bunch of that poured in there with a small sized empty load. If you run a small cycle of hot water  and the de-greaser, I wonder what would happen.  I am sure there are many similar products out there that claim to be spray "de-greasers".

Think that might work? If you try it, let me know what happened.

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday April 02, 2008, 06:19:26 AM »
Hi Jane

Just wondered if these 2 links may help you. I have them bookmarked for reference so thought of them when I saw this thread.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2059680_maintain-washing-machine.html
http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/usage_2.html#cl_q1

:hugs:

Wooley

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday April 02, 2008, 04:08:07 PM »
Thank you both very much. I'm going to have a look today to see what's on offer at store. Vinegar is very cheap.........and there's something called Oxyclean I think.....

Very hand links Woo.

Jane