Author Topic: Eczema Scars  (Read 21558 times)

Offline StarryEagle

• Registered member
Eczema Scars
« on: Friday March 21, 2008, 04:09:31 PM »
I'm 18 years old, and still in high school. I have eczema on my shins and calves, but it only flares up during the winter. After the most recent flare-up, it left little dark scars all over my legs, and they look really unattractive. It's moving into spring, and I want to be able to wear shorts and skirts without feeling extremely self-conscious about my skin. What can I do to make the scars go away?

Offline Dapper

Re: Eczema Scars
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday March 25, 2008, 01:20:28 PM »
Hi StarryEagle,

Be cautious about anything you try, because it could make the eczema worse, or cause your skin to flare up again.  Do a patch test on a bit of skin for a day or two and see how your skin reacts to the new cream or ointment. 

I have heard good things about Mederma for scar treatment, but have no direct experience with it.  The ingredients seem to be fairly benign. Website here: http://www.mederma.com/index.html

Vaseline should help the scars a little bit if you rub it in two or three times a day, and whenever you have a wound it is good to keep a thin coat of vaseline on it while it heals, this will keep the wound from drying out and if it does not dry out it will not scar as bad.  At least that is what I was given to understand by my dermatologist.

Hope those scars clear up soon, and it is great that the flare up has gotten better at least!

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday March 25, 2008, 10:01:17 PM »
The darkness you mention is probably the result of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.  Unfortunately, this happens deep in the dermis and topical creams don't help very much.  On the bright side, they definately fade with time - but it does take a long time.

In the meantime, you can try using a self-tanner to try and "mask" the discolouration, but be sure to patch test first!

Offline Sky Doctor

• SkinCell God
  • of Calculated Perfection
  • Hear me roar
« Reply #3 on: Thursday March 27, 2008, 06:34:49 PM »
My little eczema scars can last up to 6 - 8 months. Annoying, unattractive, but they DO heal with time.
No stranger to alienation

Offline Aquababe241

• SkinCell God
« Reply #4 on: Friday May 30, 2008, 07:28:02 PM »
Juicing carrots is a good way to heal scars...I had shingles on top of eczema 5 years ago and was left with pock marks all over my legs.  I juiced carrots, parsley and celery and my legs don't have scars at all.  Coconut oil is also very good for making your skin soft and reducing the scar damage.

I wouldn't use any steroids as they have long term damage on your skin. 

When we're young, our skin heals fast, but from mid 30s onwards, scars start forming...so you may have to look to change your diet.  A diet rich in veg (think 9 type veg salad, any kind you fancy focusing on leafy greens) will make your skin look beautiful.

Also cleansing your colon shifts a lot of dirt, toxins in your gut and stops the leaky gut syndrome where the skin starts spitting out toxins and we end up with skin problems.

Dr Pagano's book on Psoriasis, The Healthy Alternative is also a must read for people with eczema and has lots of eczema cases in it.  Also Juliano's Raw Uncook Book is great for raw recipes that are quick and fun to make...

Good thing is you're young and can sort this out now rather than later when your more set in your ways...

Good luck on your healing journey though!! :laugh:
It's really nice to be free, free to be me
I'd rather be free and happy
Than nobody and sad

Offline insidebeauty

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday August 07, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
im 17 years old and i had exzema nearly all my life.And whats starts to always puts me down is the scars. im from in indian origin which i tend to scar more easily.I was thinking about laser treatment but then again people say im too young i know there is other alternatives.i really dont know what to do! like where do i start! please help!!!

bunnie

« Reply #6 on: Thursday August 07, 2008, 03:27:36 PM »
Hello insidebeauty, welcome!
Some people have no choices insidebeauty, if you have been prescribed a steroid or whatever by a medical doctor use it.
I wouldn't use any steroids as they have long term damage on your skin.
  That is not true. If used inappropiately, ie: slathering it on like moisturiser, daily over many many months it will. A decent layer (not thick or too thin) as directed, will help enormously, however don't abruptly stop using it. If using it (just as an example to get the idea)  twice daily, then reduce to once a day, then use it every two days over 12 days, then every 3 days,over 12  every 4 days over 12, and then just once in 5 days over 10days, and then stop. Coconut oil will certainly help make your skin more supple, but you need a topical antinflammatory to get the inflammation of your condition under control. Coconut oil will not prevent scarring, nor will anything you put in your mouth!  I think in time these  scars may disappear. Learn about scarring here.
http://www.answers.com/topic/scar
bunnie
« Last Edit: Thursday August 07, 2008, 03:38:03 PM by bunnie »

Offline Wiggly

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Monday August 11, 2008, 09:42:58 PM »
The darkness you mention is probably the result of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.  Unfortunately, this happens deep in the dermis and topical creams don't help very much.  On the bright side, they definately fade with time - but it does take a long time.

This is the problem that I have - my skin's been more or less clear of eczema for about 4 years now but I have really bad post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Yes, it's definitely fading but it's taking a bloody long time and I've got dark skin anyway which makes it worse.

I'm trying out some of that Bio Oil stuff - hopefully I won't react to it. I'm quite skeptical about it working but thought I'd give it a go anyway. It'll take a while probably for any improvements to show (if at all) - at least that's what it says on the box.

Most of the time I like to kid myself that I don't care what my skin looks like and I'm just very grateful that I don't have to deal with severe eczema anymore, but if I have to go to a party or something I do start becoming very self-conscious. I've got a wedding to go to this weekend and I'm dreading it (although it's not just personal appearance issues - it's an Indian wedding and they're long and bloody boring).

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: Monday August 11, 2008, 10:52:58 PM »
Aw,  :hugs: wiggly, it is so hard when you're self conscious about your skin, isn't it?  As for the Bio Oil, I have to say, I too would be skeptical.  I know that creams with increase the rate of cell turnover (like alpha and beta hydroxy acid creams) can sometimes help, but they can often be irritating to skin, so it's risky for people like us!

As for the wedding, you never know!  It could be a fun time! :)

Offline Wiggly

• Registered member
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday August 12, 2008, 07:23:53 AM »
Yeah - they tout the Bio Oil as some kind of miracle oil. It's ingredients do include vitamin A though so if it does have any effect I believe it's coming from that rather than any of the other ingredients but we'll see.

Never tried A/B-hydroxy acid creams for precisely the reasons you said.

Offline skinurghs

• Diary of an Eczema Suffer
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday August 12, 2008, 02:20:41 PM »
Bio Oil never helped me but a friend says rosehip oil helped reduce his scars

As for skin discolorations, find that as long as yr vibrant personality shines out - no one notices yr skin.  We see our own condition worst than it really is perceived.  Also you'll find that the sun will tan yr legs anyway so that the discoloration will become less unless you scratch it during summer.
Positive action, positive thoughts, positive healing

Offline Wiggly

• Registered member
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday August 12, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »
Scratching is not an issue for me - I don't do it anymore. I don't expose my legs though because of the discolouration - I don't want people staring (and they used to  A LOT when I was a kid) and anyway my skin is already dark brown.

It's not such a big problem really, it's certainly not something that keeps me awake at night. It only becomes an issue when I have to dress up for social occasions... but like you said ultimately it's personality that shines through.

Offline skinurghs

• Diary of an Eczema Suffer
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday August 13, 2008, 09:21:06 PM »
Well for the "special occasions" it's either gonna be tanning lotion or tights to keep the smooth skin tone look  ;)
Positive action, positive thoughts, positive healing