Author Topic: Cerave, Atopiclair, and Mimyx reviews [exciting stuff!]  (Read 33818 times)

Offline Dapper

Cerave, Atopiclair, and Mimyx reviews [exciting stuff!]
« on: Friday January 25, 2008, 10:23:10 AM »
Hey guys, I have been using some new creams [don't recoil at the word "cream", these ones are different!], and thought this info might help someone.  Some of you may recall I have recently developed sensitivity to vaseline after using it as my main stand-by for decades, so I have been trying a lot of different stuff and doing a lot of research, there is some exciting new stuff out there, [thank God!], so here are some personal reviews from yours truly:

CERAVE:

Cerave is a ceramide based, glycerine cream that is available over the counter at many drug stores in the US, and probably elsewhere.  It has been known for a decade or two that one of the problems in atopic skin is a lack of these molecules called ceramides, and during the past several years there have been some really good studies showing the efficacy of ceramide based creams in treating atopic dermatitis, generally showing signifigantly improved outcomes when compared to traditional emollient treatments.  Cerave is the only ceramide based cream, afaik, that is widely available over the counter in the US, and it doesn't even cost you an arm and a leg "only" $15 per 16oz tub, which if you look at the price for some other ceramide creams out there is very cheap.

After having to stop using the vaseline, my life turned into a real nightmare for a while, and this Cerave has really turned things around for me.  Superficially, it doesn't seem to do as much as the vaseline, like after I get out of the shower for example, but after a week or two the state of my skin is at least as good as it was while using the vaseline [this corresponds with what was said in one of those studies I mentioned, that the ceramides might not seem as good at first, but in the long term they had great impacts on the state of the skin].  The Cerave is also very mild; I was pretty skeptical about it, but the ingredients are pretty benign, and it's not caused me any trouble with skin irritation at all.  I use it head to toe, two or three times a day.  Besides the ceramides, Cerave is basically just a glycerine cream, glycerine and water are the main ingredients, and glycerine+water itself has been shown to have a long term moisturizing effect [i.e. not merely superficial] in one study that I saw, so overall this is a great product.

The weird thing is that even though the vaseline and Cerave both seem to have great benefit in moisturizing the skin, they work in different ways.  It is hard for me to put this into words, but if the vaseline would get my skin a little bit more moisturized than the Cerave, the Cerave gets my skin a little bit more "normal".  My skin is smoother and has more of a natural feel to it when using the Cerave than it did with the vaseline. 

Also, Cerave is not greasy!  Using vaseline at night, and then Cerave during the day [non-greasy! yay!] would be a really powerful moisturizing solution for atopic derm sufferers.  Depending on your skin, or situation, you might even want to do a straight switch.  I reccomend everyone to try Cerave as an additional tool in your treatment arsenal, I've been using it for a few weeks now and it's good stuff!

ATOPICLAIR and MIMYX:

Atopiclair and Mimyx are two new non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory creams that have been developed for treatment of atopic dermatitis.  My derm described these as "sort of the latest and greatest, cutting edge kind of thing".  These are quite expensive [~$100 per tube I think, but a little bit seems to go a long way], and available in the US by prescription only.  I have also read both of these drugs described as ceramide based creams, but neither drug advertises itself as such or has "ceramide" in the ingredients list, so I'm not sure if that is true or not.

Apparently atopiclair and mimyx are a bit of a mystery.  It is not clear how they work, or even what the active ingredients are [according to an excellent doctor I spoke to].  These drugs seem to be geared towards repairing some of the specific abnormalities or deficiencies present in atopic skin.  They might just have flown under the radar, but both companies were so convinced of their product that they went through the whole expensive FDA process for prescription qualification, with rigorous, mainstream medical studies performed to demonstrate the drugs' efficacy.  Also, these drugs have almost no side-affects or contraindications at all.

I was EXTREMELY skeptical about both atopiclair and mimyx, but found both of them to have dramatic affects on my eczema.  They both decrease inflammation and itching signifigantly for me [at least in the short term, I have only had them for a week].  Even recalcitrant eczema on my feet that was not responding to much of anything except prednisone seems to be responding well to these creams.  It is hard for me to say which is better, but the mimyx seemed to irritate my skin sometimes when I used it [not 100% sure], so I am preferring the atopiclair currently. 

Both the Atopiclair and Mimyx look like big new guns in the atopic dermatitis sufferer's arsenal.  After not being able to use my traditional ointments anymore, because of the vaseline sensitivity, these drugs have been a Godsend to me, and even just in one week have really helped to clear my skin up a lot.  I reccomend them highly to any atopic derm sufferer who is looking for a new treatment option.

« Last Edit: Friday January 25, 2008, 10:33:53 AM by Dapper »

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
Re: Cerave, Atopiclair, and Mimyx reviews [exciting stuff!]
« Reply #1 on: Friday January 25, 2008, 02:39:15 PM »
WooooHooooo Dapper!  I'm so glad that these products have been making a difference for you!  I'm going to look into them immediately!   :clap:

I remember Helena had posted about Atopiclair a while back, but I seem to remember that it was not yet available here in Canada.  I am going to ask my sister about both the Atopiclair and the Mimyx....

Offline Dapper

« Reply #2 on: Saturday January 26, 2008, 03:12:37 AM »
Hehe, thanks.  :)

It seems like they are making more progress understanding and treating this disease all the time.  I've really been surprised at the progress that's been made since the last time I did a lot of research.  Maybe there will even be a cure eventually.
« Last Edit: Saturday January 26, 2008, 03:14:41 AM by Dapper »

Offline bongi2222

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday March 29, 2008, 04:10:45 PM »
I read some articles about atopiclair and the basic ingredients it consists, and it seems like it's not much of a breakthrough, but if someone does have good experience with it, let us know.
The good thing about atopicliar is that it's not based on steorieds nor on tacrolimus / pimercrolimus, to which some people could be alergic to.
Seems like the breakthrough is not yet there, but we should congratulate those who try and make effort to solve or make our suffering much less painful.

Offline bongi2222

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday April 24, 2008, 03:01:27 PM »
Hi Guys,

I tried atopiclair for 2-3 weeks now, and it seems to have good effect on the skin.

It seems to improve the external lookout of the skin, where the eczema rash is,
and to alleviate the itch. It's not hocus pocus, meaning the problem is not solved and not supposed to have been as result of using it, but it does really seem to have a good substantial effect.

Using it once a day is not enough though, i noticed at least twice a day is necessary,
to give it possibility to work both day and night.

One more thing i noticed, it seems better to use it while the skin is still little damp,
after first bathing & drying normally (tapping with the towl - not rubbing of course).
Don't know why it is so, but it seems to be a fact. Maybe the little dampness improves
the way the cream is spread or maybe it entrapses some water - i really don't know.

In any case, just to clarify i don't mean using it on wet skin - no - just not wait
too long after bathing & drying before using it. I plan to continue using the stuff and
see where it goes. I guess for now i agree with Dapper, though atopiclair didn't look
as something prominent, it may indeed be of some considerable help to some of us.

It's hard to come to any real conclusions, from some single cases, where it seems to help,
but if it does help people (even if it seems to help) - great. No magic wand to remove the problem though  :'(

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: Friday April 25, 2008, 12:54:21 AM »
Hi Bongi,

That's great that you've found it to be helpful... I'm guessing that the reason that you get better results when the skin is damp is because the Atopiclair (or any other occlusive moisturizer) traps the moisture in the skin for a much longer period of time, so if your itch is made worse by dryness, then that would be soothing and helpful.  I do this with all the moisturizers I use. I find that they all seem to work better on slightly damp skin.

:cf: for continued relief!

Offline bongi2222

• Registered member
An update on Atopiclair
« Reply #6 on: Saturday May 03, 2008, 05:13:40 PM »
After using atopiclair for couple of weeks now, even though i took an intermeidate break with it for a week, i can report that when used, it seems to quickly contribute to the external lookout of my skin rash, making it look much less red, as if the red gets diluted and the skin looks better on the outside.

This is as if similar effect of some good brand moisturiser with some barrier like effect, without getting the skin "blocked" as with some greasy moisturisers / lubricators. However, all in all it doesn't make the itch / sting reduce significantly or go away :(. Also the skin outlook effect seems to last only for 1/2 day or so, and re-applying doesn't help unless washed first.

Offline bongi2222

• Registered member
Another Update
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday May 07, 2008, 06:50:44 PM »
I found that using Atopiclair twice daily almost immediately after rinsing,
seems good, but rather than rubbing it into the skin as alegedly directed,
just put thin film on the affected skin easily without rubbing.

This way some of the stuff stays on top of the affected skin,
and also seems important to put it not just when it is reddish rash,
but also on the other skin around that touches the rash to prevent skin-to-skin reaction.

For now the result is that red color on the affected skin was significantly reduced
in couple of days, and itch / sensitiviy also reduced. Can't say for sure it's from this method,
but seems likely that it contributes to it.

Will keep updating when there's news.

Offline helena

• Quanto mais treino, mais sorte tenho...
« Reply #8 on: Thursday June 05, 2008, 05:11:01 PM »
Hello everyone!

I tried Atopiclair last year, but has no effect - it was too itchy. I bought it in Spain, as it was not yet commercialized in POrtugal. In Europe (or at least some countries) the name is Zarzenda. But I have a forum in my country about eczema, and some people are very happy with this cream.

Well, I have another thing to say: my eczema is completely gone.

I'm sorry I don't know why. In December I was really bad, and made another treatment with UVB (it was the 3rd time), but end December doctor told me to stop it, because I was taking ciclosporin same time, and has I improved a Little I should not continue with UVB.

I cried and cried, last year was really bad, and I told the doctor I did not want to live a long life with this disease, I prefer a short life with treatments that gave me some relief. Well, he did not care about what I said.

During January, I start thinking I had only two options: getting better or ...

End January my skin was completely good. At 11 February, I stopped ciclosporyn. At 24th March I went to the doctor and he said "this is a miracle!!!"

Well, after 5 years being so bad, I'm really good now. I would like to know why, and share with you, but I really don't know!

I have some pictures of my legs last August, and others February this year, and the difference is unbelievable.

I'm not doing any kind of treatment now, just using moisturizer.

But I must confess that I have terrible nightmares, sometimes I wake up and run to the mirror to see if it is true, and I'm allways surprised because my bed is not full of blood and death skin...

The itch is gone, not completely but more or less 90% of the itch.

I would like to say that I'm happy, and I am, I really am, but I'm allways scared, thinking I'm going to wake up tomorrow with the eczema back!

Well, thank you for "listening", and sorry if the English is not so good.

Helena

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: Thursday June 05, 2008, 08:33:15 PM »
Wow, Helena, that is fantastic!  I'm very happy for you and hope that you continue to be free of e for a very, very long time!! :hugs:

Offline MangoMan305

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Saturday June 28, 2008, 01:06:02 AM »
Been using Cerave for a few months now, works great for me, its non-greasy and I'm able to put it on whenever needed with no visual effects.

Started using Atopiclair for a little while, seems to work at times, but then I flare up and it takes a while for Atopiclair to calm my skin back down, unlike Protopic which I used to use, it would completely relieve my skin within 24 hours.

Atopiclair seems to work but not close to the level of Protopic.

Still need more time to experiment with Atopiclair.

Offline sHauN26

« Reply #11 on: Sunday July 06, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
question: it says Cerave will repair and refurnish the skin barrier, does this mean it will make the skin tougher and thicker? because recently the skin on my face has been reallllyyy sensitive, and it wasnt always sensitive. thanks in advance :)

Offline Dapper

« Reply #12 on: Saturday April 11, 2009, 06:33:11 PM »
question: it says Cerave will repair and refurnish the skin barrier, does this mean it will make the skin tougher and thicker? because recently the skin on my face has been reallllyyy sensitive, and it wasnt always sensitive. thanks in advance :)

Sorry for the very late reply, but to answer:  I don't believe so.  It should make your skin softer and smoother, and maybe a tiny, tiny bit thicker too.  The cerave is basically just a glycerine cream with ceramides, cholesterol, and free fatty acids.  If your skin is not atopic [or not defficient in ceramides], then it will probably just be a nice lotion for you, but shouldn't have any dramatic effect.

Offline Jackzhang

• Registered member
« Reply #13 on: Saturday September 19, 2009, 01:56:21 PM »
I am a  a Chinese, and I am a skincell disease person, just is atopic dermatitis, always with many eczema rash in my face, then become many dead skin and fall off. I am now realy bad, and donn't know how to do with the dease, because I have gone to many hospital in China, but now there is no relief of my disease.
    I learned from the website that the mimyx cream and atopiclair is helpful to this disease. But both the drugs are available by prescription only. But I havn't American priscription, and I donn't want to go abroad, Now I want to ask how can I buy these drugs? Will anybody help me to buy the mimyx and atopiclair.
    Thanks a lot.

Offline JP Dad

• Registered member
Atopiclair review
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday March 31, 2010, 08:59:45 PM »
Atopiclair was prescribed by my six month old’s pediatrician for dry skin when we insisted that we wanted a non steroidal cream. It did provide some temporary relief but the condition did not go away. The worse part is that she is two now and her skin has been bleached in areas where the cream was applied. The doctor says it might take several years for the spots to go away!

Lastly, this is quite an expensive ointment with significant copays depending on your insurance. However, it comes in such a flimsy tube that it cracks in various places with the ointment oozing out from those cracks after a few uses!

With dry skin / eczema it’s best to nip it in the bud. The more you prolong the worse the condition becomes. If I had to do it all over again, I would start with Cetaphil / Triple Cream / Aquaphor and if the condition does not improve soon, use a little bit of a steroidal cream early on so that it doesn’t worsen.

Offline Dustbunny

• Registered member
« Reply #15 on: Sunday May 02, 2010, 07:33:51 AM »
I have had NO luck with Atopiclair, It might work for a mild case, but not for mine, in fact It burned in places where It was applied, manly where it has become to the point of being raw.

believe it or not, I have had good luck (knock on wood) with Cerave, it does nothing for the rashes.. but it sure makes my skin feel better, and I can use it How wonder is that!! something I don't have an skin allergy too!