Author Topic: experiences with Glycerine?  (Read 10192 times)

Offline Dapper

experiences with Glycerine?
« on: Wednesday January 02, 2008, 07:24:01 AM »
Hey guys, I was wondering what experiences anyone might have had using glycerine on their skin?  Especially with atopic derm and extremely dry skin.

The glycerine attracts water to itself, so it seems to make the surface of the skin feel really moist and smooth, but it seems like maybe it is just leeching the water out of the deeper layers in my skin?  When I used a lot it seemed to dry me out, but if I use it just on a limited patch of skin it seems to work pretty well so far.  Btw, I read you are not supposed to just put straight glycerine 100% on your skin [?], so I'm diluting this stuff by mixing it 50/50 with mineral oil to help spread it and lock it in.

Thanks for any thoughts, and I'll update this thread anyway as I experiment more with it.

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
Re: experiences with Glycerine?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday January 09, 2008, 03:27:40 AM »
 I like glycerine, and I find it to be non-irritating. I prefer oils and coconut emollient
to it, but I have never had any problems with glycerine. It's not as oily as I like,
but it's so mild and pleasant that I do use it sometimes.

Have you ever tasted it? It's sweet on the lips, the taste reminds me a little of corn syrup. I put straight glycerine on my lips and found no problem there. I use it straight and have had no problems with irritation nor have I had any side affects.
When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline Dapper

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday March 18, 2008, 09:05:12 AM »
Thanks, Bluebird.

I just wanted to update.  I've also been using glycerine 100% some now, and no problems.  ONE INTERESTING THING that I have noticed is the glycerince helps with itching for me.  I really can't imagine why, and maybe it is in my head, but when I put the 100% glycerine on an itchy spot it gets kind of tingly there and the itching diminishes over the next ten or fifteen minutes, and the effect seems to last a while.  Maybe that is just because dryness or abnormal moisturization is such a big factor in the itching, I don't know, but the glycerine really draws a lot of water out of the air onto your skin, which keeps the moisture inside from evaporating.  Long story short:  Glycerine = good stuff! :)

Offline itchy4life

« Reply #3 on: Thursday March 27, 2008, 04:42:26 AM »
Hello Dapper,

I'm glad to hear that the glycerin is working for you.  I tried to use a glycerin cream for a while on my face, but I eventually just went back to the Vaseline.  When I first started to use the glycerin cream, it seemed to work really well, but eventually after a few years I found that it made my skin feel really hot sometimes, and sometimes turned my face beet red.  I also found that it just didn't seem to moisturize my face as well as it used to.  As a woman, of course all of this was really not good!  I already have atopic dermatitis to deal with, and felt I really didn't need anymore skin aggravations.   ;D

Offline Dapper

« Reply #4 on: Friday March 28, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »
Hi itchy4!  Ah yes, I hear you.  Athough, I am talking about 100% straight glycerine, non-diluted.  If you think glycerine cream makes your skin feel hot, you should see what the hard stuff feels like.  :)

Vaseline is the best, it was my old stand-by until I eventually became allergic to it [believe it or not!], so you won't hear any arguments there from me.  If I could use it again now I would be so happy.  Have you tried Cerave cream, though?  It's a glycerine based cream [but very mild] with ceramides, fairly new, over the counter.  Atopic skin has been known for a couple of decades to have ceramide defficiency, and this Cerave stuff really helps a lot, it has become a vaseline replacement for me, and my skin is about as good as it was with vaseline, maybe even better [although if I could use BOTH then I could get this damn skin REALLY hydrated! hehe].  And Cerave is non-greasy!

Note:  Cerave does have very small amount of petrolatum in it.
« Last Edit: Friday March 28, 2008, 11:43:07 AM by Dapper »

Offline bongi2222

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Saturday March 29, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »
Glycerine & Vaseline is basically the same, except Vaseline as a brand name which provides many products that blend Glycerine with other components. Glycerine has an effect like smearing the skin with oil, and it's good quality is that it retains moisture, but sometimes it may feel as if you "dip in oil".
It shouldn't be expected that glycerine itslef will solve Atopic Skin Problem but it may sooth & reduce inflammation a bit cause by dry skin & dandruf.
Alternatively you might consider using cetomacrogol or other aqua / moisture based creams, but try to avoid those that consist also of perfumes and additional irritation causing potetial stuff.

Offline Dapper

« Reply #6 on: Sunday March 30, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »
Glycerine & Vaseline is basically the same....

No they're not.  I don't think you know what you are talking about.  No offense.

Offline bongi2222

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Sunday March 30, 2008, 08:52:45 PM »
Chemically of course they are not the same. Vaseline is petroleum gelly whereas glycerin is based on something else, but they're similar in purpose & texture in usage for skin applications. Both greasy in nature, lubricating stuff.

Offline Wiggly

• Registered member
« Reply #8 on: Monday June 09, 2008, 11:30:23 PM »
I've been using a mixture of glycerine and water for about 4 years now and it's really helped my skin. Before that I mainly used white soft paraffin (which is essentially vaseline). Glycerine has been far more effective for me because it acts as a humecant - drawing in water. It also acts as a barrier on the skin which helps prevent it from drying out. I also love the stuff because it doesn't ruin my clothes or clog up my washing machine!