Author Topic: What can stop the itch of atopic dermatitis  (Read 18679 times)

Offline littlelady

What can stop the itch of atopic dermatitis
« on: Thursday July 12, 2007, 01:52:03 AM »
I hope someone can help. I was diagnose with psoriasis and atopic dermatitis about 8 months ago. I have the psoriasis under control but the atopic dermatitis I'm still having trouble with it especially the itching it is driving me crazy. I have tried a lot of things over the counter that was just a waste of time and money. I have tried vaseline, a lot of different kinds of lotions,hydrocortisone creams,creams that where made for eczema by dermarest and selenium tablets natural supplement and now I'm taking evening primrose oil and it has not help with the itching so far I have been taking it for about a month and I don't think it is going to work. I hope I haven't left anything out that I have tried. I have it on my legs and under my arms right now. Oh I have also used coal tar ointment which has helped my psoriasis but it does nothing for the itch. Does any one know of something that can stop the itch without any fragrance with or without a prescription?  I'm going to make another appointment with my dermatologist but I'm tired of wasting money on trying things so I hope I can find something that has worked for someone else with this condition that will help me I'm really tired of itching. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. 

Offline littlelady

Re: What can stop the itch of atopic dermatitis
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday July 17, 2007, 02:28:24 AM »
Thanks everybody for taking the time to read my post. I guess no one has an answer. :'( I was reading a thread by Bonnie and she was talking about double base gel. I think I'm going to try it so thanks Bonnie for the post. I will let you know if it works. I'm calling my dermatologist tomorrow there office is closed on Mondays. Thanks again!  :)

Offline littlelady

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday July 17, 2007, 02:31:46 AM »
Sorry it was bunnie not bonnie!  :-[ hit wrong letter.

Offline leahbear17

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday July 17, 2007, 03:30:47 AM »
Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time with your atopic dermatitis Littlelady. I have just psoriasis and I well know there are times I could go mad for the itching. The only thing I ever found that was good for the itch was Aveeno Anti-itch lotion. I haven't been able to get it for sometime in Canada maybe it is available to you.

I do know that others with other skin conditions use antihistamines to relieve the itch and help them sleep. I myself have never tried it but I can see it makes good sense. Ask your derm about what one might be best for you. You have nothing to lose trying that avenue as long as you clear it with your derm. I have no plan to cover prescriptions so I use whatever I can get over the counter I am pretty much just using Dove unscented soap,shampoo and conditioner and Aveeno unscented moisturizer. In the past when I had coverage I did try some topical steriod creams the best was Dovobet. It worked wonders but only for maybe six weeks at a time then I would have to quit and my p would go into a real flare up. It was a vicious circle I would begin using it again and get relief that is the way it went but it is very expensive. I know it was not available in the USA two years ago when I used it I don't  know about anywhere else other than Canada. I would think by now it should be but maybe not for instance we can't get Doublebase here and oh how I wish we could.

I look forward to your future posts and let us know how your visit to the derm went. You will eventually find what's right for you don't give up it is nerve racking I know but it does take alot of trial and error.

I hope you get good advice from your derm and don't quit going back if the next thing doesn't work. Keep going back as often as it takes til you find the right thing. If you don't keep going back they assume all is well and write you off so be persistant.

Offline littlelady

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday July 18, 2007, 02:02:29 AM »
Hello again! I haven't never tired Aveeno Anti-Itch Lotion but I also saw it today at Walgreens I thought about it but I have to use up all the things I have already bought then I think I will try it. It said it was a new product and I believe it because I have looked for something like that before with no fragrance and I couldn't find anything by Aveeno. Thanks again for the help.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday July 18, 2007, 03:02:14 AM »
Hi Littlelady,
sorry to be late in my reply, but I did want to answer your question as far as my own experience goes...

Firstly, it is horrendous, the itch, isn't it?
I haven't really found any effective topical agent to keep the itchies away except for a few minutes at a time.  The Aveeno anti-itch is like that for me.  The menthol in it masks the itchiness temporarily.  I have a tea-tree oil cream that works in a similar way, but it can be a bit harsh if I have any open sores.

I try to manage really itchy spells by hopping in a shower (not too hot), and then slathering on coconut oil while I'm damp.  I find it to be better than vaseline as it's not too occlusive (Vaseline actually makes me itchier!), and it soaks in. It seems to help for a bit. If it's bedtime, and I can tell it's going to be a tough night, I will take an antihistamine.  I have tried Atarax and prescription strength Reactine (they're both prescriptions, actually).  I don't like taking them, because I feel ruined the next morning (very dopey), but sometimes it's worth it in order to get a good night's sleep and not tear myself to shreds. 

Offline littlelady

« Reply #6 on: Thursday July 19, 2007, 12:48:41 AM »
Hello itchychick!  I have tried everything you talked about except the coconut oil. All the other things didn't help me but I'm glad they help you some with the itch it is driving me crazy. I will try the coconut oil sometime if I don't find anything to help soon. I read on here somewhere about taking omega pills. I'm trying the triple omega 3,6, and 9 right now and I think it is working pretty good want to take it for a while to make sure but every night that I have taken it I go almost the whole night and sometimes I do go the whole night without itching but I wanted to make sure it worked before I told anyone about it. Maybe if it helps me with the horrendous itch it will help others.  I don't know if you take to much if it is harmful or not I'm still trying to research that when I find out it is safe I will take it every night. I think when I start taking it every night I think I will be itch free lets keep our fingers crossed and if it does maybe it can help a lot of other people on here. I have tried a lot of the antihistmines and I hate them too cannot take them and go any where the next day if I know I'm staying home I will take one but I hate taking medicines because I know it is not good for the body. Thanks for all your help and I will keep that coconut oil in mind. Try and have an itch free night.
littlelady

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #7 on: Thursday July 19, 2007, 04:42:37 AM »
Hi littlelady

have you tried Ego products, they make pinetarsol and some other soap alternatives they, they are water soluble oils, they also have some excellent lotions which take away the itch. I dont use them for my current problem as they don't help it but they were excellent when I had problems with itchy skin during pregnancy and for my daughter's eczema when she was younger. I hope I am allowed to post the name of a brand product here, if it gets taken off you can PM me and I can send you details. I am in Australia and hope it is also available to you where you are
Regards
LG

Offline littlelady

« Reply #8 on: Friday July 20, 2007, 01:59:26 AM »
Hey Liga girl! I have never tried Ego products. I looked it up and they sound like very good products. I'm waiting on something at the pharmacy that my dermatologist recommend me to try and if it doesn't work I will check Ego products out I will do some research and see if I can find it in the states. I have never heard of them. I will let you know if I find them. Thanks for the help.
littlelady

Offline littlelady

« Reply #9 on: Friday August 10, 2007, 02:17:14 AM »
Hello
I just wanted to let you guys and gals know that I did try the aveeno anti itch lotion and itchychick and leahbear17 you both where right it didn't help much with the itch. It helped for about 10 mins or so. Oh well, I had to try it. I will still use it all up. Thanks for the help. :up:

Offline AlanTT

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Saturday August 18, 2007, 04:08:27 AM »
Have you tried champori cream for psoriasis?  It helped my plaque p. (and itch) like nothing I tried before...

Offline littlelady

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday August 21, 2007, 01:22:36 AM »
Hello AlanTT
I have never heard of champori cream! Is it for eczema too? What is the ingredients in it? Can I get it in the united states?  ;D

Offline Dolly

• Registered member
« Reply #12 on: Friday August 24, 2007, 03:50:10 PM »
Hi, this is my first post (I've been lurking)  8)

I have atopic dermatitis, and the itching I experience is bad at times!

I find that Lanacane, an anti-itch creme medication, helps.  I like the extra-strength tube, but right now I'm using the regular with ultra moisturizing and it seems to help me as well.  It can be found in the United States, not sure of it being elsewhere.

Just today I started to itch on my leg around 7 am and it's almost 11 and it still is ok! 

Active ingredients Benzocaine 6%, Benzethonium Chloride .02%

Offline littlelady

« Reply #13 on: Saturday August 25, 2007, 03:31:25 PM »
Hello Dolly
Thanks for the advice but I have tried that for my itch and it done nothing for me. I'm glad it works for you. I hate this atopic dermatits it really gets on my nerves. I think I'm stressing some over trying to find out what is triggering mine. I have been tested for a lot of food allergies nothing. I also take allergy shots it hasn't helped either. I really don't like my dermatologist much either I have tried going to others but there worse we really don't have very many good doctors here in Tennessee. I keep praying it will just go away. The only thing I have found to help me is a steriod ointment and I can't use that all the time. I have a list of things to try and I hope and pray I find something that works really soon. Oh and welcome to skincell. There is a lot of nice people on here with very good advice and info.  Have a good one.  ;D

Offline Dolly

• Registered member
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday August 28, 2007, 09:08:08 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, littlelady!  I will mostly lurk on here, always trying to find new products/cures to help my skin problem!  I know what you mean about the dermatologist.  I only see mine in a great while because there actually is nothing she seems to prescribe for me that works, although I like her. 

I'm sorry the Lanacane won't help your itch, most of the time it helps mine.  Is the ointment Betamethasone Dipropionate Ointment?  That is great stuff!  My problem is I can get all I want, but after a while my body builds up an immunity to it and I have to stop using it for a while and then start up again!

I keep hope upon hope my skin problem will go away too!  I've even tried unconventional stuff like hypnosis and accupuncture.  Didn't help, but I am always trying new things!

bunnie

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday August 28, 2007, 10:04:42 PM »

The only thing I have found to help me is a steriod ointment and I can't use that all the time.
Hi again littlelady, just a note to say that I have used a very strong steroid cream for 15 years almost, and if used correctly you shouldn't have any problems at all. I wondered if you have ever used Daktakort? It has a fungal agent in it, which is very helpful where there is broken skin. It is very common indeed with people who have skin conditions to get fungal infections. (they may not even know they have one unless tested) Fungal infections feed off the keratins in skin, especially if the skin is scratched, blistered or traumatised in any way. Add to this anyone who is taking systemic steroids or immunosuppressants,(therefore their immune system is suppressed and cannot fight off these infections quite so well) then this type of infection can develop very easily. As with all topical steroids, they should be applied very thinly.
This link says it all really littlelady. It also points out what I said about secondary infection, topical treatments , antihistimines etc. It appears that this condition is genetic littlelady, therefore controlling it is the only thing you can do. It says too the need to have proper diagnosis. You say you have psoriasis too, and these kind of conditions are hereditary, which is another factor mentioned, in that these two conditions run in families.
It is trial and error littlelady until you find the things that work for you, whether on their own , or in combination with something else. There are no cures for these ailments, but they can be controlled very effectively , once the right treatment is found that controls the condition in you. You need a good derm, the right treatment for you, and things will improve dramatically for you, but it takes time to achieve this. You will control it eventually, or you may have remission periods, but this is in your genes. If there is anything at all you don't understand in this , please pm me and I will explain it as best I can.
http://www.aafp.org/afp/990915ap/1191.html
Bunnie   
« Last Edit: Tuesday August 28, 2007, 10:34:07 PM by bunnie »

Offline littlelady

« Reply #16 on: Thursday August 30, 2007, 02:08:47 AM »
Hello Dolly
Yes that steroid ointment is great that is what I use too. I'm going to see a new dermatologist maybe this one will help. I hope your skin clears up soon. Good luck. Have a good one.

Offline littlelady

« Reply #17 on: Thursday August 30, 2007, 02:18:50 AM »
Hi bunnie
My dermatologist doesn't like to give me steroid ointment I only use it once a day very thin but she has never gave me enough to completely heal it up I always run out. Shes weird. I know the dangers and I don't think she knows what shes doing because I read on the internet that your suppose to use the strong ointment at first to clear it up then go down with how many times you apply it and also go down to a lower dose in a cream. Like I said I'm going to try another dermatologist I hope he is better. Wish me luck. I have never used Daktakort. What is the ingredients in it? How do you get checked for Fungal infection of the skin?
I hope this dermatologist will work with me to find the right thing for my skin to make it better so I can at least live with it. Thanks for the link I will check it out. Thanks for the information you told me I'm trying to learn all I can. Have a good one. Bye

bunnie

« Reply #18 on: Thursday August 30, 2007, 01:11:28 PM »
I have never used Daktakort. What is the ingredients in it?

Sorry littlelady I have just realised that this product is not licenced to be used on the face or genitals.
http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/product_2745_daktacort-hc-cream-15g.html?gclid=CKyn_8ujnY4CFRAFEgodZGJEaQ
Having said that I have used this product in the latter areas for years! Derms often prescribe treatments for areas that the product is not licensed for, I'm using a steroid nasal spray at present in my mouth that is not liscensed to be used in that area. It means of course that should you use it in an unlicensed way , that you cannot sue the company! It is basically hydrocortisone and miconoazole an anti-fungal agent.
How do you get checked for Fungal infection of the skin?

By taking scrapings, (simplest and efficient) swabbing (I personally don't think this is very efficient ) or punch biopsy.
Bunnie

Offline littlelady

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday September 05, 2007, 02:16:34 AM »
Hey Bunnie
It doesn't matter because I don't have it on my face anyway. Thanks for the info on the product I have never heard of it. I will put it under doublebase gel which is 3 from the top to try. All my dermatologist did was the scraping of the skin and the swabbing no biopsy. Thanks again. Have a good one.