Author Topic: Bubbles under skin of fingers  (Read 134338 times)

Offline InternetUser

• Registered member
Bubbles under skin of fingers
« on: Wednesday March 14, 2007, 06:20:26 AM »
I have recently noticed something strange on the fingers of my left hand. I do not know whether this is caused by an allergy.

I have been on these medicines in the last 4 months: Cetirizine, Levocetirizine, Azithromycin, Paracetamol, Amoxcillin & Lactic Acid Bacillus

There are these small bubbles, which are about 1 mm diameter or lesser size on the fingers. Most of the bubbles are less than 1 mm diameter. They are only slightly raised from the skin, less than 1/2 mm raised from the skin.

They are on the palm side of the hand and on top portion of the fingers. When I burst these bubbles a small amount of clear water-like liquid releases from them. I have noticed that bursting these bubbles makes more of them appear on that finger. They are just below the skin, just below a thin layer of skin. It does not cause any itching or pain as such, unless they are burst.

Please provide me some answers, since I have not been able to get any proper answers from doctors here.

Thank you.

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
Re: Bubbles under skin of fingers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday March 14, 2007, 06:23:52 AM »
Hi InternetUser   :hi:

I just wanted to welcome you to SkinCell.

Hopefully someone who has more of an idea than me will be along soon! In the meantime you may wish to use the search facility (blue button above) to see if you can discover any other information.

Take care

Wooley

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday March 14, 2007, 08:29:43 AM »
Could be wrong on this one, but it doesn't sound like Pompholyx, since you haven't got the itching, and to my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong) pompholyx presents in between the fingers rather than on top or palmside.

Matt
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday March 14, 2007, 10:32:26 AM »
Hi IU & Welcome to Skincell!

My experience is that pompholyx starts on the sides of the fingers, but, in my case at least, it did spread to top and palm side and even around the knuckels of my hand. But, without the characteristic itching, I think you might be looking at PPP instead.  There's a long PPP thread stickied at the top of this forum.
« Last Edit: Wednesday March 14, 2007, 10:36:45 AM by Alohamora »
You are what you eat.

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #4 on: Friday March 16, 2007, 03:19:59 AM »
Hi Internetuser

There are many blistering diseases that this could be. If there is no itching, it narrows it down a bit. Look at the pemphigus site as it covers a few of these diseases. ....

http://www.pemphigus.org/typesofgus.html

There is also info about pemphigoid on other parts of the site.

There are also articles about the types of drugs that have been known to trigger an attack of these diseases.

http://www.pemphigus.org/articles/medical/am_acronymdisease.html

Good luck with it and let us know how you go.

Kind regards

LG

Offline InternetUser

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Sunday March 25, 2007, 11:19:07 AM »
I have noticed that the bubbles do start with slight itching on the finger before they appear. The itching does not occur much after they occur.

I have not been able to visit the doctor's office as yet. I noticed that 10 days after the bubbles appeared, bubbles started to go slightly yellowish and then disappear. In the place of the bubbles small slightly brownish spots appear, later the top layer of skin peels-off along with the spots. There have been a few more bubbles on the new skin layer. I am worried about these bubbles, since they have started to occur on the other hand.

What are these bubbles? I think that this had occurred to me once before and cured itself, however I am not entirely sure whether it was the same thing.

All answers and replies are really welcome. If you can even provide a 1 line reply about what it it might be, it would be helpful.

bunnie

« Reply #6 on: Sunday March 25, 2007, 11:39:41 AM »
Hi There Internet! Please read the links that LiGa girl has left for you. As she rightly states there are many conditions which can blister the skin. You do not say
1) how old you are
2) If you have been taking any antibiotics or other drugs prior to these blisters.(although blister diseases can occur without prescribed drugs being involved)
3) If you have had this before, or have them now anywhere else on your body.
The latter one is the most important question here.
If it persists you must see a derm , it is essential. A GP cannot diagnose skin problems 100% (if at all) they usually get it wrong! You need a punch biopsy, (it is nothing, it doesn't hurt or anything). Don't be reading loads of stuff on the net and applying it to yourself, see the right person for the right diagnosis.
« Last Edit: Sunday March 25, 2007, 11:41:52 AM by bunnie »

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #7 on: Sunday March 25, 2007, 02:18:56 PM »
Hello, IU!!

How odd. I would say "pompholyx" in a heartbeat... it looks like what I have... the bubbles (mama called them "water blisters"), the occasional odd coloring, the dry-looking skin afterward, and the clearing up eventually. But it doesn't feel like pompholyx. Mine itch like crazy: nothing "mild" there.

I agree with LIGA and bunnie... check out those links and let us know how old you are. I can't remember if my hands ever had a breakout where the itch wasn't so awful... it seems like they did when I was younger.

I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #8 on: Sunday March 25, 2007, 04:25:37 PM »

I have been on these medicines in the last 4 months: Cetirizine, Levocetirizine, Azithromycin, Paracetamol, Amoxcillin & Lactic Acid Bacillus

Why were you taking those drugs and are you still on them? How's your diet? Are you exposed to any chemicals because of your work or hobbies?  How old are you?

Here's some photos of Pompholyx http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/pompholyx.html Do your blisters look like that? (I've never heard of non-itchy P however.)
You are what you eat.

Offline InternetUser

• Registered member
« Reply #9 on: Monday March 26, 2007, 09:36:57 AM »
I am 30 years old.

I am not taking the medicine anymore. I had to take them about 3 weeks ago, for root canal treatment (teeth) and allergic nasal blockage. They are antibiotic, painkiller, and antihistamine tablets.

I do not work with or use any chemicals.

The bubbles look like photo 1 and 2 (from left) on row 1 on the page:
http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/pompholyx.html
It does not look like the others.

I will try to visit a dermatologist soon.
« Last Edit: Monday March 26, 2007, 09:43:50 AM by InternetUser »

bunnie

« Reply #10 on: Monday March 26, 2007, 12:05:09 PM »
You do not say though if you have these blisters anywhere else?
Are they getting worse, ie spreading to other areas, inside of wrists, tummy or your back, mouth scalp feet or legs?
Have you given birth in the last year?

Offline InternetUser

• Registered member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday April 04, 2007, 04:42:43 AM »
I haven't seen these bubbles anywhere else. I noticed that the earlier bubbles have dried-up but new bubbles have appeared in other spots. I'm a man and so giving birth wouldn't be the reason.

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday April 04, 2007, 01:19:15 PM »
Do you mean other spots on your hands or other spots on your body?

I was really hoping someone w/ PPP (palmoplantar pustular psoriasis) would post on this thread to say what they thought. That and pompholyx are the 2 things I've heard about that produce blisters only on the hands and (sometimes) feet.

Getting a proper diagnosis from a dermatologist would be a good thing, but I haven't heard that they're much good at finding the root causes, just prescribing steroids for the symptoms.
You are what you eat.

Offline devs

• Registered member
« Reply #13 on: Friday April 04, 2008, 09:29:52 AM »
Hi there I was wondering if you could please let me know what the outcome of this was I've just been reading your post and have exactly the same symptoms.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #14 on: Saturday April 05, 2008, 02:57:39 PM »
My pompholyx does look just like those pictures... I remember crying when I saw them because for the first time ever I knew that the heck I had. Mine do start at the tops of my fingers, along the nail.

You've probably figured this out by now, but do not pop the blisters. Eventually they'll sink back into the skin and vanish. Scratching makes the itch about a zillion times worse.

Cold = your friend. Chilling your hand is like scratching only more effective. And I have found relief with apple cider vinegar... I keep it in the fridge and soak my itchy fingers in a bowl of it when they flare.

Chances are slim it'll do any harm, and might do some good. Good luck, both of y'all!
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Pure_sweet

• Registered member
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday May 27, 2008, 08:58:02 PM »
Hello. I also have this issue. Problem is, im only 14 years old and ive had it for about a year now. I do not want this issue to continue into the far future because my hands are already as bad as I would ever want them. I have found out this disease cant be found the cause because of the fact that its something your born with. This is in your genes. I hate to tell you. I was talking with my mothers friend whom works in a hospital and said that theres nothing that can truly stop it. Theres only meds to slow down the process but the symptoms are probably not worth taking the meds.
Last summer, I had just been getting them on my right hand. But more on my thumb and then it spread to my other fingers on my right hand but my thumb has had the worst.  To be honest, you cant even take the ID on my thumb to get the lines that are supposed to be there. My thumb is extreamly sensitive now. Im hoping that my information for you helps and I hope you have already figured this out. Pompholy is a type of eczema and my sister has eczema also, so I do infact beleive this is a hereditary thing. My mother could possibly carry the gene and happening that we are both girls, we would get the eczema just different types.

As I said, the medicine might not be worth taking if the symptoms are anywhere being severe. Unfortunately I am not a doctor. So I can not tell you the symptoms. Just know, since it is indeed embedded in your genes, it probably cant be removed. If anything, this medicine would be so very strong. Who knows what It may do. But ask a doctor. They may be able to tell you more than a 14 year old girl could :) I hope I helped out a smidgen.

Feel free to ask for my email to lemme know if anything new comes up with this whole issue.

bunnie

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday May 27, 2008, 09:22:39 PM »
Hello pure-sweet, just to welcome you to skincell!
As yet pure-sweet I don't think Internet has been diagnosed, so we don't know as yet if Internetuser has an autoimmune disease or an Atopic condition. If he has got either (or both) ,then all that you have said will apply to him.
However I wanted personally to congratulate you on your good sense! Here we have a 14 year old girl who has it completely sussed! How I wish others could understand what you understand. Nothing as yet can alter a specific mutated gene, the proteins resulting from the transcription of the faulty genes, can only be suppressed by drugs. That is it....  You are absolutely right in everything you say, and your mother's friend is absolutely right in what she has explained to you.
Let me tell you pure sweet , you are the only one as far as I am aware that has openly come out and said this, other than myself, (and I'm 61!) and I find it incredible that a fourteen year old girl has the common sense to realise and understand the real cause of autoimmune conditions and Atopic conditions. Well done! Pure-sweet ,and well said!
Feel free to ask for my email to lemme know if anything new comes up with this whole issue.
I have done lots of posts on here pure-sweet, explaining, and trying to get people to realise the underlying cause of most of their conditions. If you want to read them, click on my name, and under my profile , "read last posts".
Best wishes,Bunnie
« Last Edit: Tuesday June 03, 2008, 11:21:02 PM by bunnie »

Offline Pure_sweet

• Registered member
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday May 27, 2008, 09:48:41 PM »
Thank you sooo much bunnie :D Haha Im extreamly flattered.  :) I suppose I am just trying to give answers and hopefully get them returned. As I have said, Ive been suffering with this for about a year so you can imagine how bad my hands may look! Hehe. Its not really fun at all. I have been thinking about Pompholyx a whole lot more since I have learned what it is. I am just trying to collect as much information as I can on all of this. I know others may also, but Im young. I dont want to have to hide my hands from the whole world all my life, but what can I do. Lol.

Again thank you so very much for the compliments bunnie! :)
And I will look into your other posts :)

I really do hope that the information that I have given does give people the want to find out more, hopefully I will learn more about this condition also :D That would be amazing if it could be stopped, but Im not keeping my hopes up at all.

Thank you again,
Pure_Sweet.

bunnie

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday May 27, 2008, 10:53:34 PM »
hi again pure-sweet I just lost my post to you! If I may make bold the words which I want to draw attention to from this quote.
I really do hope that the information that I have given does give people the want to find out more,
Absolutely ! Again, this is how I offer my support. If people understand exactly what is going on with regard to the underlying cause of their condition, then instead of trying other treatments that simply cannot work, they can use that energy in understanding these malfunctioning abnormal processes, and learn how to cope effectively with the resulting condition, besides being able to make well informed decisions on medication to control it.
I have had no choice but to take some very serious cytotoxic and other immunosuppressive drugs, for the simple reason I was losing my sight and my disease was also affecting my throat and airway, but although my skin was literally  falling off in places, I did not take these dangerous drugs until my life was threatened. I understood exactly what processes were occurring in my body, why they were occurring and what the drugs were doing to try and suppress the abnormal response.
Only if you are interested Pure-sweet, I leave my blog on the immune system and disorders of the immune system. You may not understand it all maybe, but you will be able to understand most of it. All the medical terms I have explained. It's not interesting to everybody of course, but there has been lots of interest.
http://wassail-allthatilove.blogspot.com/
bunnie
PS I must just add that none of it is my own theories, all of it is what the medical proffession,  medical science and research know about these disorders. I am simply relating and explaining it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday May 27, 2008, 11:17:00 PM by bunnie »

Offline Pure_sweet

• Registered member
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday June 03, 2008, 09:53:28 PM »
Thank you bunnie :) I have looked at the other post "Pompholyx Ezcema" and I saw there was treatments and soaks being suggested, I was getting a bit confused as the the medicines, and if it would be at all useful at my age. Thank you for the site, I hope I will be able to understand :P Haha.
I was informed that it wasnt helped with the heat, and I am always being covered. I hug my pillow at night :) Haha. Well Its very difficult to not mess with the bubbles because of the fact that they DO itch. I mean i have tried so very hard but they are always just THERE. Last weekend, it was perfectly fine for 3 days, then bursted out in a BUNCH of clusters.
I was so upset. Lol. Well I'll check out the blog :)
Thank you for the help.