Author Topic: Eczema and prednisone advice.. please?  (Read 18615 times)

Offline Chelle

• Registered member
Eczema and prednisone advice.. please?
« on: Sunday December 17, 2006, 10:12:49 AM »
Hi my name is Michelle and i am 17. For the past 17 years i have been battleing with my eczema, especially during winter when i was at my worst. During summer periods i would clear up and lead my life normally. For the past year my skin has worsened and become completely unbearable. I was on prednisone for 3months instead of 3 days as i was un aware of the cause of the severity, as it just appeared suddenly one day. I got to the point where on hot days i was wrapped up being so cold as the eczema had shut down my immune system. I have sleepless night and i am constantly dry and itchy. The eczema now covers 95% of my body, including my face which it never did before. I have tryed everything humanly possible. Every solution for everyone else is a huge disppointment for me when it fails. I am scared that my condition will turn into a depressive stage as i cry everyday when i wake up feeling like crap and seeing my body the way it is. As i live in Australia, we have come into the summer months and my skin isn't improving like i hoped it would, so the depressiveness it getting worse. I feel like i can't be like everyone else in shorts and dresses due to my skin, which is hard to deal with being still in high school when i should be like everyone else. I am moving out of Sydney(which is like a basin for allergy) into Queensland(surf and sun which works for the skin) next year, which usually clears up my skin unbelieveably when i go there. I want to go on prednisone for the next year until i get up there, testing during the year to see how it goes. My parents really aren't happy with me thinking like that, as we have all done our research. I wanted some advice from anyone i could get it off. I know all the long term use symptoms, but they are years and years of use.. Can anyone tell me, if i used prednisone for the next year, what effects it could have and do you recommend ending my suffering just for this one year?

Offline kamii

• Registered SkinCell Member
Re: Eczema and prednisone advice.. please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday December 29, 2006, 12:06:12 AM »
Hey Michelle,

I have eczema too, mainly on my face which then spread to neck which has spread to shoulders and my chest.  Living in melbourne, so its starting to get really hot around here some days.  I know what its like, you walk outside and you see people look your way or whispering to each other and you think its about you. 

But taking prednisilone for prolonged periods might not be a great idea.  Usually the doctor only lets you take it for a few days i think, although my brother was given fairly large dosages for a couple months i think, but this was for asthma.  I'm pretty sure its the same medicine, i mean, when i bought it i didn't believe, but i went home and looked at the bottle, and the medicine name was the same. 

I guess if the prednisilone does work for you, then just take it.  If it lets you live like a normal person, take it.  There might be side effects, but there's really not much choice.  It really is saddening to carry the burden of this type of disease.

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday December 30, 2006, 09:19:01 PM »
hi Michelle

I live in Australia too, north of Sydney. I am taking prednisone and if there is any way to get around your problem without taking it, that would be better. Most people who take it gain weight and you have to stay out of the sun while you are taking it as it affects your skins reaction to the sun. You are most likely to get a round face and to lose bone density while on it too, and if you are on it for a long while, there are many more side effects like loss of muscle, mental side effects, diabetes and high blood pressure. There is also the chance of having necrosis of the hip which means a total hip replacement is needed. The one good side effect i got when taking it is that i got lots more energy as I had low cortisol levels when i started taking it. I have been on prednsione for about 7 months now (40 mg/day)and cant stop taking it, or even reduce yet, as I blister too badly with my disease. You need to talk to your doctor and ask him or her about the side effects and what would be best for you. Being younger, it could affect you in more ways too .... good luck with it and let us know how you go ...

LG

Offline andyb

• Global Moderator
  • of Wackiness
  • I've been Simpsonized!
    • Welcome to my Concorde website
« Reply #3 on: Saturday December 30, 2006, 10:03:36 PM »
Hi Michelle

I was on Prednisilone for a number of months a couple of years ago; it was prescribed for a non skin-related problem but I have to say my skin never looked so good while I was taking it.

That was the good news - the bad was it triggered high blood pressure which I've only just recently got back under control, and I also gained about two inches on my already sizeable waistline (although I have to admit that may also have been due to the sedentary lifestyle I was forced to adopt at the same time..) - so like the others say, it may be helpful in the short term but from my experience, if you can avoid it and go down another route then please do...

best of luck!

andyb
I'm playing The SkinCell Daily Quiz - are you??

Monkeyboots

« Reply #4 on: Sunday December 31, 2006, 03:58:31 PM »
Hi Chelle,

Sorry to hear you're suffering.  Just wanted to give a big hug. :hug:

Hope the move helps and in the meantime you find something to ease your eczema.  At the moment I am trying a non-steroidal cream range by Allergenics.  It does seem to ease my skin a little bit.  I've also upped my dose of evening primrose oil.  I am also worried about how down you are, it is understandable. Have you considered a mild anti-depressant to take just until you pick up a bit.  Depression and stress can also make our skin conditions worse so its kind of a vicious circle, skin makes you depressed, possibly the depression makes  skin worse. 
best wishes
M.B

Offline painful1

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Sunday December 31, 2006, 06:47:47 PM »
Hi Chelle, sorry to hear you have severe E.  I have a mild case of it on one of my hands, that's it (thank god)
I have had it under controll for sometime now.  What I do is use over the counter hydocorizone creme when it flares up.   

To keep it from flaring up I use products without fragrance added.  Laundry det., (All free n clear), Cetaphil bath soap and lotion.
I have not found a shampoo yet, so I wash my hair with my good hand.  I'm sure the health food store has one, I'll have to check.
I wear gloves when I do dishes,  clean house, and wash the car.  I don't use hairspray, gel or any styling products in my hair, it gets on my hands and starts it up.  I eat my share of fruits, salads, and chicken and try to stay away from fried and processed foods and most importantly I drink a lot of water, and limit the soda's.

I believe that it is very possible for you to get off the predisone, and the sooner you do so the better.
A healthy diet and lots of water will rid your body of toxins that contribute to E.
Why don't you start with giving your local health food store a call, I believe it would be a step in the right direction.
Best of luck to you, and may 2007 be the year you become E free ;)

One more thing, when you get off the predisone, you shouldn't just stop taking it, you have to do it gradually, like down to 20mgs for about a week and the 10mg for a week.  Ask your doc, he can tell you exactly how it should be done.

Good Luck,

Painful1
« Last Edit: Sunday December 31, 2006, 09:54:11 PM by painful1 »

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
« Reply #6 on: Monday January 01, 2007, 02:23:39 AM »
Hi Chelle, and Welcome to Skin Cell:

I can't answer your question re the Prednisone.  Hopefully somebody will come along who will be able to help. I just know it's something you don't mess with.

I hope you have posted your message on other threads....i.e., Introduce Yourself, and also the Eczema thread.

My personal opinion is that you really need to check with a dermatologist, as soon as possible.  I only just saw you post, as I noticed you are on-line.  Please take care.

Jane
It's a good day when you laugh!

sdskin

« Reply #7 on: Sunday February 18, 2007, 04:22:12 PM »
Have you tried Borage oil internally, or other GLA essential Fatty Acids? Or zinc? Please research these as diet deficient in these can cause eczema.  It helped my children so much. In fact, the products I initally ordered were from Australia.  Best of luck to you. You can also put the borage oil on the skin, it has shown to help topically too. I use a borage/flax oil mix. Make sure it is the kind for internal use.

Offline mayhem

• Registered member
« Reply #8 on: Monday September 29, 2008, 02:47:36 PM »
hi there, sorry to here of your skin problems. I too live in Australia (melb) it seems to have a high rate of ezcema and other skin conditions.

Prolonged use of Prednisolone can have its effects on the body thats why derms and Gps use a high dose tapering off usually 12-21 days, depending on the condition of the skin. As others have pointed out above weight gain, increased appetite, high blood pressure, roundness of the face and also risking diabetes and kidney problems. I know when its working the you feel good and would not want to be without it but please seek proper medical advice on the intake of prednisolone. May also pay to investigate candida/yeast, or trying to nail down possible triggers for your ezcema. I really hope your skin clears up.
CLEAR SKIN = HAPPY PEOPLE

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #9 on: Monday September 29, 2008, 07:54:56 PM »
IF you are still checking this thread Michelle, one other long term side effect of high dose prednisone use is cataracts in the eyes, I got them in both eyes and had to have them operated on, this happened after about 15 months of using prednisone and it was very sudden, no warning, each eye got the cataract a week apart. No doctor had ever warned me about this possibility. But now I have better vision than I have ever had as I am no longer short sighted and the operation is very quick and not much pain. And if you have to treat your skin with prednisone you have no choice, it can be life threatening sometimes.

LG