Author Topic: It looks like a cigarette burn... with no injury??  (Read 12354 times)

Offline Anima_Sola_3o4

• Registered member
    • Link to My Myspace
It looks like a cigarette burn... with no injury??
« on: Monday September 04, 2006, 09:08:33 PM »
Hmm... so I check my skin all the time, mostly subconciously since i have lots of freckles and some scarring and stuff... last night i noticed what looked like some lint or something stuck to my arm in a circle... anywho, i rubbed it off and it was really stuck.  Anywho.  This morning when I woke up, that same spot is all red and kinda swollen.  It's like the inside of it is a yellowish brownish color, then theres one little corner of it that's darker brown, then the outside of it is red.  It hurts like hell... It reminds me of a cigarette burn while it's trying to heal, because it has that look to it... like the round part of it is depressed and the outside seems kinda raised.  But the thing is that I didnt burn myself or do anything to it.  There was some of that lint stuff stuck to it still and i took a wet soapy cloth to it and got the lint off.  It hurt to do that but you know. 

I dunno if I should be concerned about it or what.  I thought maybe it could be a leftover eczema spot that i may have scratched too much and maybe it's infected? I never noticed a spot there though. 

I figure I'll just keep a watch on it.  I tried to take a picture of it with my digital camera, but it was too blurry cuz the camera ain't that great. 

I was just wondering if anyone had ever had this kinda thing? Kinda where there's an unexplained burn like wound.  The sides of it are all pulled in like a burn would be when it was healing. 

*shrug*  ???

Alexis
I'm glad the world sucks... if it didn't, we'd all fall off!

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
Re: It looks like a cigarette burn... with no injury??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday September 05, 2006, 06:55:24 AM »
Hi again Alexis

Again, I have to say, this sounds a little bit like some of the patches of Psoriasis that I have had in the past.

I would also say, as I just have in the post about nail pitting, that I really do think you should try and see a dermatologist, just in case your GP has misdiagnosed eczema.

My own personal experiences was that the 4 GPs I saw before my current one all said "oh it's either eczema or psoriasis" and when I finally met my (lovely) current doctor and she sent me to a derm, the derm told me it was  *P.

Good luck

Wooley

Offline Anima_Sola_3o4

• Registered member
    • Link to My Myspace
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday September 05, 2006, 07:10:37 AM »
Thank you Wooley!

I think I will make an appt. with my derm.  I was hoping to wait until winter and get a good once over (the winter is when my freckles will be faded the most and obviously my derm. knows what freckles are, but i feel kinda like it might speed things up, lol). 

I havent seen my derm in years, actually since I was dx'ed with HS.  After having it for years with misdiagnoses.  So I guess you're right I probably should see the derm! Haha.   

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep ya posted.  Granted I think that the appt. will take a few months.  If this thing on my arm changes or gets worse I'll see my GP or press to see the derm sooner.  All though I once called my derm's office with what was a very suspicious mole ... which had previously been a skin tag but changed to brown and got these big black spots that looked like the surface of a raspberry! (turns out it was nothing, thank GOD) but the derm's office said to see my GP if I was concerned due to them being so busy. 

Why exactly *are* derm's so busy, anyway?? I've always wondered that. 

What I'm watching for now is for the redness around to get worse or spread out. 

Lots of Love,
Alexis

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday September 05, 2006, 09:36:43 AM »
I wonder if it could be ringworm.  I had this when I was a teenager once, and it sounds very like.

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline GScar

• May your days be pain free.
« Reply #4 on: Thursday September 07, 2006, 08:38:09 AM »
i was just thinking the same thing totalfolly posted. without seeing it just from what you described it sounds very much like ring worm.
hope you figure it out  :)

Offline kadjmc

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday September 07, 2006, 01:27:37 PM »
could it be a spider bite?

Offline Anima_Sola_3o4

• Registered member
    • Link to My Myspace
(PICTURES) Re: It looks like a cigarette burn..
« Reply #6 on: Friday September 08, 2006, 01:33:47 AM »
It could be a spider bite, seeing as how I've killed two spiders in my room in the past two days. :-\I also thought maybe ringworm, but the inside of it was hard and crusty like a scab, not soft. 

Anywho, I happen to be a scab picker... *is there a scab pickers anonymous group?* I can't help it.  I pick at everything.  So I picked the 'scab' out of the center of it.  And when I did, there was this little dip type hole there cuz the scab went down deeper than I expected.  There were all these little tiny blood vessels in the tissue underneath, it looked kinda freaky.  It didn't bleed much, if at all... but it did ooze a bit.  I kept a bandaid over it... but I am not sure it did any good... i think it may be infected, whatever it is... cuz today there is this faint little red line coming out of it.  I took some pics... the first set are right after I picked the scab... and the second set are from just a few minutes ago.  You can kinda see the little red line in the second set. 

Then here's the second set... I was gonna take more/better pics, but the camera batteries died. 

The faint red line is jutting out towards the left.  In reality, it's coming up over the top of my forearm... cuz this sore is on my left wrist, about 4 inches past my hand on the side. 

I know I might seem like I'm freakin out about nothing... but I have had a slightly bad feeling about this since I noticed it.  I watch my skin like a hawk bein a redhead and all... oh yeah, the other stuff in the pic is either freckles, or my 'itchy bumps' or even scars from the 'itchy bumps'.  Like I said, I'm a picker! ugh. 

Alexis

Offline GScar

« Reply #7 on: Friday September 08, 2006, 05:17:57 AM »
it does look kind of in fected Alexis. i sure hope you figure out what it is. you have me curious now.

Offline Anima_Sola_3o4

• Registered member
    • Link to My Myspace
« Reply #8 on: Friday September 08, 2006, 08:14:27 AM »
As if this werent enough... now my feet are peeling.  From what I assume is athlete's foot.  Gah! I had an 'itchy bump' between my toes that i scratched and picked at... then a few days later my skin started peeling on my feet... and ugh... now it's all over both feet.  I figure I'll go and get some Lamisil or something and take care of it. 

Oh, and i think my HS might be about to flare up.  I have just one small little red sore spot... so maybe, maybe not.  (haha, that rhymed!)

I suppose a visit to my derm is in order.  Meh.  I'll call tomorrow... and will be seen maaaaaybe by Christmas.  ;)

As far as this mystery spot... I know that infection can spread via the red lines... so what i did was i marked with a pen where it was as of yesterday... and if it spreads i'll go to urgent care or something. 

lol so let's take score here... my fingernails are pitting, my feet are peeling, im itchy all the time with all these lil bumps (which i thought were eczema, maybe not?) .... ive got this mystery infected spot on my arm.... and my HS is about to flare up.....

Life ROCKS. :P

Of course, all this is nothin compared to the fact that I'm so damn tired all the time. 

Offline smokey

• cheeky girl!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Friday September 08, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »
im sorry that u are havin such a hard time right now, theĀ  red spot does look infected, id get it checked out anyway. :cf: that ur not havin another hs flare up, i know wot its like to feel tired all the time especially if u like to keep busy and on the go all the time like me, does ur head in, feeling like that.

could the itchy red bumps be caused by the sun or too much heat, i know that i have to cover up in the sun cos if i dont i get itchy red bumps that go scaly and dry, and im not a redhead, with my colouration u would expect me to tan but i dont :( dont even burn :(just get more freckles.

Life is for living, not worrying about tomorrow.

Offline Anima_Sola_3o4

• Registered member
    • Link to My Myspace
« Reply #10 on: Saturday September 09, 2006, 04:09:48 AM »
I don't think the itchy bumps could be from the sun... I generally try to stay out of the sun... and this has been a problem for at least a year.  I initially thought I had bed bugs, but I tore my room apart searching and there was nothing... it was worse in the winter and it kinda comes and goes... right now I am suspicious of the laundry detergent that I used to wash all my bedding and clothing recently.  We go thru all sorts of different kinds lol cuz we buy what's on sale. ;) This was Tide we used.  And I'm only suspicious because I got all itchy and broken out the day after I washed all of it.  I know that it's not any soaps or lotions, because I've not used anything other than Lever 2000 since my HS diagnosis.  My derm gave me a sample of it and told me it was the best.  Not sure why.  But I like it, and it smells good.  :)  And I rarely use lotions, and when I do its hypoallergenic stuff. 

Haha, and I have a love/hate relationship with my freckles.  :) Usually I love them cuz they hide scars and itchy bumps... but not that it's much of a difference.  It's the sunburns I can definitely live without! Oh, and the huge risk of skin cancer too I guess!

Love, Alexis

Offline GScar

« Reply #11 on: Sunday September 10, 2006, 07:01:51 AM »

lol so let's take score here... my fingernails are pitting, my feet are peeling, im itchy all the time with all these lil bumps (which i thought were eczema, maybe not?) .... ive got this mystery infected spot on my arm.... and my HS is about to flare up.....

Alexis,

this reminds me of the childrens book called Parts. it's my favorite book i used to read to my son and the little boy in the book thinks he is falling a part literally...lol. not to make light of your skin problems, but i did have to laugh when i read that part of your post because it made me think of the book.
Gina