Author Topic: Please help me!! Dyshidrotic eczema!  (Read 88513 times)

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
Re: Please help me!! Dyshidrotic eczema!
« Reply #40 on: Saturday September 09, 2006, 03:28:16 PM »
It's such a relief to know what's causing your problems, isn't it?  :up:

If your jewelry has nickel (I don't think it's in all jewelry, but probably is in the less expensive stuff) you might try putting a coat of clear nail polish on it.  I've never tried that, but it was suggested to me once.  I imagine that you would have to repeat it from time to time.

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #41 on: Monday September 11, 2006, 01:56:51 AM »
For me, it's not the Nickel in jewelry, it's the nickel in food that causes problems. 
 :'(
You are what you eat.

Offline Chichaboo

• Registered member
  • Lupin's Honey
    • KookyNails
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday September 13, 2006, 07:48:36 AM »
Yea, I lookd up food that contains nickel, I'm gona try avoid them. I've just ordered a nickel testing kit, I use so many metal tools at work so need to test on them all.

The preservant thing I'm allergic to is Bronopol, which is in bloody everything!! Well, an exaggeration but it's in a lot of stuff I use, will be checking labels thoroughly from now on. Oh and found anmother sheet I was given stating I'm also allergic to Methylchloroisothiazolinone (try saying that when you're drunk!!)

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday September 13, 2006, 11:36:17 AM »
Yea, I lookd up food that contains nickel, I'm gona try avoid them.

The lists I've found are incomplete and inaccurate. It's only by trial and error that I'm finding what I can/can't eat.

I can eat dairy, stone-ground grains, most fruit except pinnaple, meats, veggies except the green leafy ones.
Just about anything that goes through mechanical processing equipment is a problem, I guess it picks up nickel from the steel processing equipment. Canned foods are out for the same reason.  No chocolate and no tree nuts, peanuts are OK.
You are what you eat.

Offline Chichaboo

• Registered member
  • Lupin's Honey
    • KookyNails
« Reply #44 on: Thursday September 14, 2006, 06:03:12 PM »
That must suck!! ^^

Last night I noticed my makeup remover wipres contain Bronopol, and the shampoo I use has Methylchloroisothiazolinone in it, as well as a hand massgae cream at work. I've got itchy lil lumps on my right big toe, I guess I used a shampoo with methylchloroisothiazolinone in, whilst in the shower and it dripped down when rinsing off and got onto my feet. I certainly haven't put nickel on my toe! Lol.

I've asked my friend who works with the academy/company of nails I train and work with to check the entire list and contents of the acrylic products I use to make sure there is deff no bronopol or methylchloroisothiazolinone in.

One scary thing I did read is that there's a chemical ingredient in steroid creams which is also found in the curing (hardening) process of adhesives and resins, I do use these at work obviously, which has got me a bit worried. Maybe I'm looking into it too much. I've deff touched something though cos I've got a few blisters, although no rashes on legs and arms and the blisters don't really itch at all.

Weird.

Offline treesandflowers

• Registered member
« Reply #45 on: Monday February 05, 2007, 07:17:28 AM »
Wow, your eczema is really bad!  I thought mine was severe.

I have had dyshidrotic eczema on my hands and wrists for about 5 years and the main thing to remember is to use what works, and STAY ON TOP OF IT.  Don't wait until it gets bad to treat it.  Keep it supressed.  It seems so simple, but it took me about 4 years to learn that lesson!

Protopic for me is god.  Steroid creams, except for the very strongest ones, do little to nothing when the eczema is severe like ours (it's like the skin gets used to it) so being allergic to it probably isn't a big loss.

I use 0.1% protopic twice daily on the areas that flare up, whether they are flared up at the moment or not.  Sometimes I can bring it down to once a day. but NEVER less than that.  It is tricky because I used to think that when the ointment cleared it up, I could stop using it...but chronic eczema doesn't work like that.  It always comes back if I neglect it, and it can take weeks to get back on track.  When I stay on top of it, you would never even know I had bad skin.

sdskin

« Reply #46 on: Sunday February 18, 2007, 04:07:45 PM »
You might want to research Pinta, a bacterial infection, and see if the symptoms fit. I had a myterious rash on my hands and feet, itchy too and the doctors had no clue. It turned out to be this disease from Mexico that is not known to be in the USA. But, it is. If it is Pinta, it is curable by antibiotics.
Best of luck to you.

Offline treesandflowers

• Registered member
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday February 28, 2007, 05:47:30 PM »
I just thought I'd add any update:

After many years of usingp protopic nad it working great, my eczema was getting so bad that for some reason nothing was keeping it down.  It was almost like the greasiness of the meds was making things worse instead of better it they used to.  So I figured if the meds weren't helping, why use them?  I stopped and the bubbles are now way smaller, dryer, and less itchy.  I keep my hands moisturized still (aveeno baby lotion moisturizes well, but finishes dry), but other than that haven't been using anything.  I feel great!  I don't know why.  The eczema is so mild, I don't even feel I have to treat it. 

It still wakes me up at night sometimes but after about 5 minutes of scratching I'm usually ok for the rest of the night, and it doesn't bother me during the day at all.

Anyway, lesson learned.  Taking breaks from meds isn't such a bad idea as I thought.  Just because it didn't improve one time, doesn't mean things won't be improved the next time you try.

Offline Caterpillar

• Registered member
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday August 07, 2007, 08:21:34 PM »
Chichaboo,
This has been the most frustrating thing, which I developed this on the palms of my hands and fingers since Dec. 2006. I noticed it right before Christmas right in the middle palms and it eventually spread out. I thought it was from using Clorox wipes during the flu season, or the antibiotics (Zpack) I was on which also gave me the thrush/yeast infection in my throat. I still do not know the cause. I have been dealing w/ this blistering, itching, cracking and tried to research different things online that would help. Here are some things that work for me.

(Lay It on Thick), by Bath and Body works...its a Shea butter, feels great and don't burn or irritate areas...
(Liquid Ivory dish soap) to cleanse, don't burn or irritate
(A & D mineral ointment), don't burn or irritate as well
(Benedryl)- at night to stop the itch. Makes me drowsy though.
(Immunity & Detox drops)- ordered online through a site of WebMD/herbal remedies. 
(antibiotic ointment )on open cracked skin to prevent infection.
**I have found that the topical steroid creams do not help.

Heat and humidity flares me up. Once I feel the onset on itching, I usually go ahead and take a Bindery.
Ice works wonders and feels great, cools the hands off and keeps them from swelling and blistering.
Our nurse here at work was right. UV rays are good, but unfortunately the flare ups are heat sensitive.
I indoor tan one to two times a month, using a cool bed and place my hands outside around on top of the tanning bed. It stays cool there. I do fine doing that. I just cant us any lotions when tanning.
It is sad that I cannot even squeeze a lemon in my tea. I get my boyfried to handle stuff like that. My last worse episode was on a Saturday, after washing cars in a Armorall carwash w/ wax. Dumbo me forgot to wear gloves. I suffered for that and the phases started again from itching, severe blistering and swelling, to drying and cracking. I made it through though. Trying my best to just stay on top of it now. I am fixing to leave work, and it is 100 degrees here. I plan to crank the car and run the air a while, cause the steering wheel is too hot to handle. If I find anything else that helps me I will pass it along. Thanks and good luck.

Offline BlistersOnMyFingers

• SkinCell God
  • of Multiple Choice
« Reply #49 on: Sunday August 19, 2007, 02:12:18 AM »
Just want to say, Hi, and thanks for sharing all your stories.

I've been battling eczema for about 8 years now.  About 3 or 4 years ago I had a severe outbreak that nearly landed me in the hospital.  My dermatologist said it was the worst he had seen, and this was 3 months after I got a kenalog injection.  One more injection and my skin has been in good shape ever since.  Still itch like crazy at times but manageable enough that I hadn't had to see my dermatologist (at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC) since then.

Then, just this past Monday morning I see tiny bumps I'd never seen before.  Not knowing what was happening, I went to see doctor's office at work for some hydrocortisone.  The PA looks and thinks they might be scabies!  I get squeezed in to see a local dermatologist who looks at my hand for all of 30 seconds and diagnoses it has Dyshidrotic Eczema and prescribes diflorasone cream.  I left feeling very very relieved and believing everything would be alright.

Two days later, my fingers are starting to look deformed, with the bumps getting larger and small water blisters starting to form.  My wife and I left message for the local dermatologist that I saw that week and my NYC dermatologist late Wednesday afternoon, after all the doctors had already gone home.

Thursday morning, 2 am, the webs between my fingers are burning so bad they wake me up, the blisters have grown and I can barely move my fingers at all.   I never made it to work that day.  I went straight in to see my NYC dermatologist even though I had no appointment.  Fortunately they squeezed me in with no arguments.  The doc there agreed with DE diagnosis, calling it severe.  He immediately gave me a 60 mg oral dose of prednisone and a prescription that should last me about 2 weeks plus 1 refill.

Up until today, there had been almost zero improvement.  Today, though, the pain has gone down considerably, and two of my biggest blisters popped.  I've been dabbing them with Neosporin to ward off infection.  I've also been taking Benadryl a few times a day to control the itching in my hands as well as my back and shoulders.  For the first time in 3 days I don't feel like a complete invalid.  (My wife has been an absolutel godsend throughout this, dealing with work, me and the kids.)

Out of curiosity, I tried the hydrogen-peroxide on two of my blisters using a Q-tip.  But I really don't know if that helped or not.

To sum up:  Diflorisone cream completely useless.  Oral prednisone plus Benadryl working so far.

Thanks for reading this very long post, just wanted to share my experience. 
Play The SkinCell Daily Quiz Daily Trivia game.  Post your results HERE.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #50 on: Sunday August 19, 2007, 04:36:30 PM »
That sounds so painful, bomf!

I don't know if you've found it from the boards, but several of our members here have had some success in controlling the itch of DE with Apple Cider Vinegar.

As far as this outbreak goes, has there been any changes in your daily activities... changes in diet, things you are handling, increases in stress?  Unfortunately, the only trigger that I have been able to isolate in myself is stress, and I must admit I'm not the best at managing it, but perhaps you could think about environmental factors which may have triggered this outbreak?

It's interesting to me that you've been struggling with eczema for about 8 years... That means that you were about 28 when it first surfaced?  Did you have e as a child?  I'm asking because I was also about 28 when my e re-surfaced (I had a milder, more typical e as a child, but had been relatively free of it for years).  Interestingly, my sister (who is a dermatologist), has noticed that this pattern of adult onset eczema seems hit people in their late 20's and is stubbornly resistant to the traditional topical treatments.  It makes me wonder what might be the common link.

• SkinCell God
  • of Multiple Choice
« Reply #51 on: Sunday August 19, 2007, 08:21:59 PM »
Hey itchy,

Wifey just picked up some apple cider vinegar for me to try.  I'll let you know how that goes.  For now, the prednisone/neosporin/benadryl combo is working well.

Other than a very bad acne problem at 13, I never had any issues with e at all growing up.   I don't think I've been under any particularly bad stress lately.  The only triggers I know about are certain itchy fabrics and bugs.   Stress and anxiety also play a part but in reverse:  When really stressed or anxious, I find myself scratching almost out of habit, not necessarily because of an itch.

Among the topicals that I've tried, clobetasol has worked the best for me in keeping my atopic e in check.  I use it as little as possible to avoid thinning.  I have to admit, I'm absolutely horrible about keeping my skin moisturized.  I hate putting on lotion, ointments, baby oil or anything like that.  Though, I do find baby oil helpful just before getting out of the shower.  Time to start that up again.

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #52 on: Sunday August 19, 2007, 11:00:07 PM »
I'm also allergic to Methylchloroisothiazolinone (try saying that when you're drunk!!)

Please forgive me Chichaboo, but I'm presently totally toasted (:slosh:) and I read that out loud to my hubby. His response was "no way he really said that part about being drunk!"

In my own defense, I don't think I could say that sober.

Good luck, Bomf. The apple cider vinegar has worked wonders for me, along with discovering and avoiding my trigger: lotions. As in, my guest room has a fine and comprehensive collection of fine hypo-allergenic lotions that I can't use. :) My problem started when I started using hand lotion on a fairly regular basis, when I moved from Georgia to Virginia (you never know how wonderful humidity is before it's gone). I also had acne as a teen, small world, huh?

I really hope you find something that works for you. For the record, I don't moisterize, but when I really really have to, oils (like the baby oil you mentioned) are OK. :)
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

• SkinCell God
  • of Multiple Choice
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday August 21, 2007, 01:27:51 AM »
I just added this to the gallery.  My left hand got the worst of it.  This is what it looked like Thursday night, the day I started on Prednisone.  As of now, all blisters have either popped or mostly dried up.

In case this might help, my derm game me 60mg of Predisone tablets all in one shot in his office and a prescription for:

- 20mg Prednisone 3x a day for 5 days
- 20mg Prednisone 2x a day for 5 days
- 20mg Prednisone 1x a day for 5 days

Plus he included 1 refill just in case it flairs up again over Labor Day weekend.

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday August 22, 2007, 06:41:57 PM »
Oh Bomf!!! Just looking at the picture gave me sympathy itches. I've never had monsterblisters like that, but minus those is what my hands looked like for several months solid my first married winter. (It just killed me - I had just got my wedding band, and I couldn't wear it.)

Keep your hands as cool as possible, and man oh man I hope your Prednisone helps!!!!! :cf:
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline bluedreamweaver11

• Registered member
« Reply #55 on: Monday May 19, 2014, 09:34:41 AM »
Help me too! mine started on August 2013 we had a vacation in Tagaytay which is a cold place we live in Manila which is a hot place. It started in itching hen the blisters came in.

In October we went to see a dermatologist. She gave me 2 products the one is soap (Oilawin) and the other is Ointment (C-Ointment) it was really expensive so is the check up the derma told us to come back if it doesn't disappear for one week. We didn't come back because of the expensive-ness though i think it worked because the blisters in my palm disappeared bt it took a long time to. Also the ointment was not enough.

After that i've been using lotions et. moisturizers, whitening, sun blocks it's not disappearing though they are walking like, they came from my pinky and they are walking to way down to my palms. I've tried on changing my everyday regimens like my shampoos, soaps. It didn't change also.

One day we were eating jackfruit and has to get the thing they eat inside and i helped. I applied Oil on my hands because jackfruit is sticky as hell. The type of oil i used is the normal oil used for cooking. After a few minutes it itched like hell really! that i want to use sandpaper for the itchiness it was really really itchy! and the blistering and redness worsen >.< I REAALLY HATE IT and it makes me FEEL FRUSTRATED AND OTHER >.<

i continued on using other moisturizers and it spread in the other fingers and i'm also having it now on my feet

That's when i started using Nivea Creme as moisturizer the itchiness reduced though i found out the 'Methylisothiazolinone' irritates the skin and is the first cause of Dermatitis. So i discontinued of using and now i'm using Dove beauty bar and also Lactacyd. I still don't know the effects though.

Yesterday night i found this ointment that has cooling effect it has this two oil. Palm Oil and Olive oil i used it 3 -4 times because of the cooling effect and when i woke up now the blisters worsen. Help me too please ;-;

I always play the computer so that i have something to use of my fingers so that i can't rub and pop the blisters.