Author Topic: Eczma and Dry itchy Skin behind the knees - What can I Do!!  (Read 12098 times)

Offline bassmog

• Registered member
Eczma and Dry itchy Skin behind the knees - What can I Do!!
« on: Tuesday March 21, 2006, 10:54:27 AM »
Eczma and Dry itchy Skin behind the knees  - What can I Do!!
I've tried all sorts of things such as: Cutting out dairy, takin fish oils and omega 3's,Gandma vine antiseptic gel, e45 moisturizer,oilaitum cream (which iritated my skin and caused like a heat rash), oilatum bath ointment (which i still use), lavender oil - which seems to help.

I itch when im half asleep and all my good work during the day goes to waste as when i wake up my legs are in pain,dry and im covered in dead skin etc....It's getting silly now and Just hoped someone had any advise????

Im convinsed It's my diet i need to change ....feel clean on the inside to feel good on the outside?!!!!

Please reply soon...Im running out of skin!

Offline EX-itchell

Re: Eczma and Dry itchy Skin behind the knees - What can I Do!!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday March 21, 2006, 11:57:11 AM »
Hi Bassmog, and wellcome to skincell!!

I had plc which is a form of piityriasis and was covered in spots.
Various thoughts for you.  You say you itch at night - which I did too - and that was because I got too hot under the duvet.  Get a really thin duvet and use 2 so you can throw off the warm one when you get hot.  Keep an ice pack by you in the bedroom, and put that on the itchy part for a moment - wrapped in a flannel so it's not TOO cold, and get out of bed to cool down.  You'll have to sleep less deeply to get used to it.

Also eat vegetables and fruit only at night - red meat and alcohol, or other stimulants in particular are bad to eat late in the day as their digestion will heat you up and cause you to itch more.

Make sure your sheet or duvet and any sleepwear is pure cotton so your skin can breathe.  Don't bath unless desperate, and shower rather than sitting in the water using warm not hot water.

Good luck,
and feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Itchell

Good luck,
Itchell
<i> <font colour="orange"> ItChElL </font>

Offline Jenny77

• SkinCell God
  • of the Radiant Smile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday March 21, 2006, 01:48:22 PM »
Hi Bassmog,

Welcome to the forum. I have psoriasis and also contact allergies, and I'll recommend ot you what I've found works really weell on itchy skin: an over-the-counter, non-streriod lotion called Sarna. It was a lifesaver for me when I had some really bad contact and stress-related itching in the fall. It's got menthol and camphor in it, and within minutes of applying your skin will feel cool and tingly (in a good way). They make a sensitive skin formula, but that doesn't cool as much. I bought mine at bed bath and beyond and haven't seen it anywhere else except online (try dermadoctor and drugstore). I have recommended this lotion so much I am sure that everyone must think I work for the company. :) It just works really, really well.

Itchell's suggestions are great too. Icepacks can be really helpful. Have you been to a dermatologist? Is it definitely ezcema? DO you have any prescriptions? They don't always work - especially for itch - but I was just wondering.

Good luck!

Jenny
Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles; it empties today of its strength.

Offline J

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday March 21, 2006, 08:31:41 PM »
If you can't find Sarna, try cetaphil cream (in the tub..not the lotion type).  That really was the best thing for my son's itchy eczema.  I just put it on him at night now, and it makes a difference, compared to the petroleum jelly I was using before. 

Sincerely,

Jahanara

Offline bassmog

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday March 22, 2006, 09:43:43 AM »
I've been using E45 cream an my arms and legs after bathing earlier in the week (in oilatum bath ointment +  lavender oil on Monday)
I have cut out dairy and alcohol and smoking, drinking 8 glasses of water a day. It's now Wednesday and my skin is appearing smoother. However the itching is still there and now my skin is more slippy due to the constant moisturising of the skin I need to itch that much harder which I know is damaging. The result before and after any itching is a type of heat rash with bumps white and red (large too) is this a reaction to anything I've used?? Last night I woke up scratching and knew it was due to a kind of prickly heat sensation on my arms and legs ...I ended up sat on my kitchen floor running an ice cube over the affected areas.... It seems sorting 1 problem has developed another. (but nothing has stopped the itching) - Could I be infected with something??

Please help if you can. Thank you.

Gobe

« Reply #5 on: Thursday March 23, 2006, 01:09:44 PM »
. The result before and after any itching is a type of heat rash with bumps white and red (large too) is this a reaction to anything I've used??

I think this might just be your skin reacting to all the hard and prolonged scratching.  My skin gets like that after a prolonged scratching session as well.  I am afraid to say it is all part and parcel of the whole joyous eczema experience.

I keep my nails really short and blunt file them every day with an emery board to limit the scratch damage to my skin. 

Good luck it sucks having itchy skin.

:hug:

Offline Daisey

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Little Angels
« Reply #6 on: Thursday March 23, 2006, 10:51:26 PM »
Hiya, Bassmog

to the forum !

Daisey
Life is a wonderful journey, enjoy every day, be thankful for love, & live for the moment! :-)

Wolfspirit

« Reply #7 on: Saturday March 25, 2006, 07:06:33 PM »
Hu Bassmog, I take piritin before going to bed this does help me stop scratching when I'm sleeping, best of luck in finding something that helps you.

Offline salpal00

• Registered member
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday June 02, 2009, 06:39:38 PM »
I have Eczma, I've had it since I was 12, im 21 now.  When I was younger I had it so bad I had it behind my knees, all up my arms, up my back, and horribly on my hands, to the point where it looked like someone ran a knife across my fingers.  I go to a natural path doctor.  I do have the steroid cream for it when it gets bad it clears it up, but ive found a few tricks....

tanning. for some reason everytime im in a tanning bed, my skin gets swollen while its exposed, but then later that day my itchin is less. and it clears up my rashes when I tan once a week for ten min. my doctor said it could be linked to a lack of Vitam D

Hydrogen peroxide, now I dont use the strong stuff cause it burns too bad and leaves my skin red all day, but I get 3% the spray, spray it on the area that itches, run my hands under ice water, and it stops the itching for awhile.

fake nails. I do the same thing as you, I rake my skin off in my sleep when I dont even know im doing it.  So I get fake nails which I hate. but it keeps me from raking off my skin because acrylic nails are too thick to scrape your skin off, when I get fake nails my skin clears up while I have them.

also I got cotton gloves to wear to bed,  i do it cause my eczema is on my hands,and legs, so it moisturizes my hands through the night and wakes me up if I try itching other places.

I hope that helps! out of all of them I strongly recommend getting the fake nails, it sucks, especially for me I play the violin and guitar and I cant play them with fake nails on. but it keeps you from peeling skin off at night

Offline itchy4life

« Reply #9 on: Monday June 15, 2009, 06:40:01 AM »
Hi there,

I don't recall any mention in your post about consulting a dermatologist, or using any kind of medical treatment for your eczema.  If you haven't already, this would be the next thing I would do.  If it truly is eczema, you don't want it to go on undiagnosed -- or untreated. 

I ocassionally get eczema on the back of my knees as well, and I use protopic ointment (0.1%) which helps with the itchiness and dryness, and also helps it go away after several uses.

Hope you find some relief soon!  Good Luck, and keep us posted.