Author Topic: pityriasis rosea  (Read 24798 times)

Offline michsm2

Re: pityriasis rosea
« Reply #20 on: Thursday November 03, 2005, 01:37:06 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this is serious: I still have pityriasis rosea. It's been nine weeks, going on 10 weeks by this weekend. While the weird-looking bumps on my hands disappeared, the herald patch is still pretty much intact. I don't itch as badly anymore (I don't need to take Benadryl in order to sleep). However, I feel as though I'm forming new bumps all over my body, including my legs. These are ballpin-size bumps, not a huge big deal. Is this normal?

Offline kat475

• you talkin' to me? You must be, 'cause i don't see anyone else!
    • my store's webpage
« Reply #21 on: Friday November 04, 2005, 10:14:22 AM »
michsm,
how are you doing?? I've been super busy at work w/no spare time, hardly get online anymore.

you should go back to your derm...i don't remember any "bumps" at all when i had it, just the angry red patches. It also seems like enough time has gone by and it should be fading by now. I remember my derm telling me it usually disappeared like clockwork....it seems like you've had it longer than you should!

i wonder if there's another kind of allergic reaction going on or something.

kat
life's too short not to be italian!

Offline michsm2

« Reply #22 on: Saturday November 05, 2005, 11:00:48 PM »
I guess I will be one of those individuals who don't heal until after 3+ months. lol

The lesions are SLOWLY fading (I can tell because one looks barely there), but the herald patch on my foot still looks formed. It's being stubborn. Go away please! lol

Offline michsm2

« Reply #23 on: Thursday November 10, 2005, 05:59:19 AM »
Well, it's another week and I still have pityriasis rosea. I feel like I will have this for another month. I accidentally (without thinking) scratched the left front side of my neck. I look at my neck this morning, and I have two rashes RIGHT THERE just above the collar line. You have no idea how angry I am. And the herald patch is still clearly formed.

Offline michsm2

« Reply #24 on: Sunday November 27, 2005, 05:34:47 AM »
Hey people, I just want to say that I'm near the end of pityriasis rosea. The bumps on my chest are slowly fading leaving somewhat hyperpigmented marks. You have no idea how happy I am! By 2006, I should be a new and good person.

Offline Rashesgoaway17

• Registered member
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday November 29, 2005, 06:26:29 PM »
I finally found out what the rashes on my back, arms, torso, and now my foot are.  I have herolds patch too.  I hate it! I can't stop scratching.  It took 1 hospital visit and a trip to my doctor to find out what this thing was.  The doctor at the hospital thought the big round patch was a ringworm and he thought all the other small rashes that had just appeared was scabies.  I was terrified..did some research on scabies and tried to treat that myself. Then I decided to just go to my doctor and he told me it wasn't scabies...and showed me a picture of hereld's patch.  He knew what it was right off the bat. 

I guess there is no cure for it and it just goes away by itself. I just wish I could take something so I can stop scratching.
Omnia Vincit Amor -  Love Conquers All

Offline Rashesgoaway17

• Registered member
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday November 29, 2005, 06:57:38 PM »
Does anyone know what causes herolds' patch?  Are women the only ones who get it?  I don't think its contagious right? :-\

Offline Milt

• Registered member
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday November 29, 2005, 11:17:10 PM »
I also have pityriasis rosea, but mine seems to be coming back for a second visit     My derm said it was rare for it to come back twice, but with my luck I should've expected this. Hopefully this will be the final round!

Offline michsm2

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday November 30, 2005, 03:44:28 AM »
Milt, why is it coming back fro a second round?  I've had mine for nearly three months. I still get the bumps on left hand but the bumps are non-existent on my right hand. Weird disease. I know it's going away because spots where it used to red, itchy and scaly now are a fainted brown color.

TAKE BENADRYL TABLETS to sleep. Get some Allegra tablets for the day. Keep your room COOL AS POSSIBLE so that you won't sweat. That's what I did.

Offline Milt

• Registered member
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday November 30, 2005, 09:53:02 PM »
I dont know why, i had it once and everything was going fine. It lasted about a month and started dissapearing, they were gonealmost 2 months clearing up. For some reason they start to come back and the itching too. I have the type that doesnt show or should i say they dont come pass my elbows or knee so i can cover it up. Im on some kind of skin steroids or something now, where i have to take like 5 pills one day, 4 the next, etc.

Offline Rashesgoaway17

• Registered member
« Reply #30 on: Thursday December 01, 2005, 05:20:58 PM »
I finally found out what the rashes on my back, arms, torso, and now my foot are.  I have herolds patch too.  I hate it! I can't stop scratching.  It took 1 hospital visit and a trip to my doctor to find out what this thing was.  The doctor at the hospital thought the big round patch was a ringworm and he thought all the other small rashes that had just appeared was scabies.  I was terrified..did some research on scabies and tried to treat that myself. Then I decided to just go to my doctor and he told me it wasn't scabies...and showed me a picture of hereld's patch.  He knew what it was right off the bat. 

I guess there is no cure for it and it just goes away by itself. I just wish I could take something so I can stop scratching. 

I bought myself Aveeno oatmeal bath stuff...seems to temporarily relieve the itching.  What to do for itching during the day?

Offline michsm2

« Reply #31 on: Friday December 02, 2005, 02:53:10 PM »
Try to get non-drowsy antihistamine pills. That will relieve the itching.

Offline Rashesgoaway17

• Registered member
« Reply #32 on: Friday December 02, 2005, 03:48:13 PM »
Is that something I can get over the counter or do I need a prescription?

Thank you for your help!

Offline Rashesgoaway17

• Registered member
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday December 06, 2005, 11:27:47 PM »
My PR has spread to the inside of my right arm and I have two rashes on my left foot.  Kind of weird come to think of it.  The rash on my left foot hasn't spread  but the one on the inside of my right arm has. The patches on my torso are scaly and they itch alot.  The ones on my back aren't so bad.  The ones on my inner thighs aren't itchy either...but I know they are there.

I've been applying Aveeno Skin relief mosturizing lotion on the affected areas (or wherever its itchy at the time) and it seems to help alot. 
I really wish I didn't have this skin problem as it has made my self esteem go down alot.  I've been wearing long sleeve shirts...trying to hide my problem.  Been trying to keep myself from itching my new rashes. 

Can't wait till it goes away.  I've been praying and hopefully God will hear my prayers.

On a happier note: I'm engaged!!!  My boyfriend proposed on Friday! I'm so excited and feel much better about myself because he is very supportive and reassuring letting me know that I will get through this.

Thank you all....much love! -flor

Offline michsm2

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday December 07, 2005, 07:25:42 AM »
It will go away. My PR was vanished almost completely (although I do have discolored scarring because I have brown skin). I still get the occassional small bumps on my left hand.

Give it 1-2 months!! In 2 months you should be like your old self again!

Offline Rashesgoaway17

• Registered member
« Reply #35 on: Friday December 16, 2005, 05:22:15 PM »
Well...my spots are getting disclored well they are a dark brown. I am not sure if that is exactly good or not...but I am hopeful.

I still get itchy....need to go buy some more antihistamines they work like a charm!

Gotta get back to work...thanks for your reply mischm.

Offline jeanandre

• Registered member
  • Howdy!
« Reply #36 on: Saturday January 21, 2006, 09:43:25 PM »
Hello, guess why i'm here... tadaaa!  :nod: that's right, I'm the newest member to the Pityriasis Rosea family. Firstly, I'd like to thank michsm2 and kat475 for their continued comments, which have been most helpful.

Here's my story:
Back in November I first noticed "Harold" ;) on the left side of my hip. I thought it was some irritation due to the elastic band of my boxer shorts rubbing against my skin. Didn't pay much attention to it, and in fact, it seemed to have gone away... well, Harold played a bit of hide and seek... Harold became slighly larger and ring-like. Next, my girfriend told me (at the beginning of December) that I had some mosquito bites on my lower back... 5-6 of them. I though it odd, as there are NO mosquitos to be seen, nor this time of the year... again, I didn't pay much attention. I thought it might have been spider bites.. but have never seen a spider in my flat! ???

December 25th. Noticed the first "rash" on my back, almost by accident. I took some antihistamines, thinking it was some allergic reaction to dust - I decided to empty and sort out one of those boxes that seem to live forever in a corner or in the attic - anyway, the dusty contents did give me a bit of breathing trouble and allergy (sneezing, etc).

January 1st. Rash spread VERY rapidly towards the middle of my back and towards the left of my torso (below armpit) but not all the way to my belly... I mean, 8-pack! ;) Took more antihistamines, although the rash doesn't actually itch...

January 8th. Rash spread VERY rapidly towards side of belly and goes under my arm/armpit. Definitely worried and booked an appointment with GP/Doctor.

January 15th. Finally saw my doctor, who has sent me to a dermatologist, but has no doubt it's Pityriasis Rosea.The rash has become denser - some mosquito-bite-like spots became rings of about 1-1.5cms in diameter, and little spots spread to arms. I also started getting a couple of blisters on the back of my hands... initially thought it was unrelated, maybe a splinter or something... Doctor also recommended a blood test, jsut to be safe.

Today, January 21st. Overall, it seems to have come down a bit (less red), but have a few more spots in arms and right side of my torso and right side of belly. My wrists (also use a laptop a lot... and wondered if IT made it worse) and hands have about 10 blisters each Some bigger that others...

And that's it. I wonder if we can narrow down a few things. Do any of you:

1. sleep with electric blanquets on?
2. have a particular food intolerance?
3. have travelled abroad/often just before the condition appeared?
4. tried new bedding or new clothing, just previous to noticing Harold....
5. have been exposed to someone with herpes (the mild kind). i know it's not related, but apparently they're "cousin" cells.
...or a particular event you might have been able to isolate? jsut to see if we have all done the same thing and shed some light onto this mysterious thing  :evil:

I know there isn't a lot out there, just trying to see if we can pin-point towards a common pattern.

Sincerely yours,

(I wish i was) Spotless in London  ;D

ps. Did any of you keep any photographic record of your condition? Can we post these somewhere in here? I know it can seem gross, but just thinking how much it'd help others to see what it was like on others.

ps2. where are Mulder and Scully when you need them!
« Last Edit: Sunday January 22, 2006, 01:13:47 PM by jeanandre »

Offline EX-itchell

« Reply #37 on: Sunday January 22, 2006, 01:13:06 PM »
Hi,
I have pityriasis lichenoides and can see a couple of things in common with you.  I travelled to the Carribean at the end of July, and undoubtedly got a fever on the journey.  I sweated buckets during the flight.  Spent a normal evening at the resort and went to bed.  Woke up with a raging temperature and covered in spots.  I drank 4 bottles of water (2 ltre) and lay in bed for the day taking paracetemols.  The next day I felt hugely better, and the spots (all over my body) subsided.  I thought it was all over.  One month later the spots of plc came up - only on my trunk.
Antihistemines and antibiotics, and steroids did nothing.
I've been boosting my immune system with fruit and veg only diet for couple of months and I seem to be winning.  I know I have no regular allergies as I had tests when I had sinusitus for 18 months from 04 - 05.
<i> <font colour="orange"> ItChElL </font>

Offline jeanandre

• Registered member
  • Howdy!
« Reply #38 on: Sunday January 22, 2006, 01:25:42 PM »
Hi Itchell, thanks for your comments.

Interesting... I recall having a brief cold a few months back... but i usually shake them off within a day or two - sign that my imune systems is OK, I guess - but didn't have any sweating episodes like you did. The interesting thing is that in 2 people I've heard, it starts with a flu/cold, making me thing that perhaps it IS viral, or enters/activates itself when the defenses are down (?).

Great tip on the fruit and vegetables diet. My doctor did mention to eat healthy (quality & quantity) to boost immune system... any other supplements out there to boost skin defenses and immune system? I also "bombarded" my back with some direct sunlight comign thru my kitchen window - stood there like a scare-crow. i though my neighbors would call the police! :o - surprisingly, it seemed to have helped... but next morning the rash moved to my sides and front (the little annoying things!)

Anyway, good luck with your progress and look forward to a forum party when this is all over.

Cheers,

jeanandre
« Last Edit: Sunday January 22, 2006, 01:38:48 PM by jeanandre »

Offline EX-itchell

« Reply #39 on: Sunday January 22, 2006, 01:43:02 PM »
Hi jeanandre
One other thing - I'm a trader so I sit all day at a screen, and yes the wrists did get bad.  I think spots come up where it gets hottest - at least they did with me. They are still in my armpits, groin and down my sides, the rest have gone.

Eating: to boost your immune system you have to eat masses of fruit and veg, eat no meat, and some say no fish, drink no alcohol, or other stimulants.  Even before this plc hit, most people would say I ate really healthy meals.  I now verge on the obsessive.  I'm not saying it's great, but if I can get rid of the spots and go out without worrying about them, life would be cool.
atb,
 :D
Itchell
<i> <font colour="orange"> ItChElL </font>