Author Topic: Pompholyx on the hand  (Read 5627 times)

Offline smashing_pumpkin

• Registered member
    • My Blog
Pompholyx on the hand
« on: Sunday September 04, 2005, 11:23:39 PM »
Wasup everybody,
I have a mild outbreak of pompholyx (the name will forever make me shudder) on my left palm. I also have it on my foot but it's stopped for now.
Now my prescribed treatment has been: (for a week)
Fudicin H (mild antibiotic/steroid cream)
Erythrocin antibiotics (to which i'm getting rashes as side effects, i hope)
Lanolin moisturiser
Washing & bathing with E45 emollient.

Although some of the bigger blisters have died down, it does seem to be spreading, especially on my fingers. So therefore I assume something's wrong. I've researched lots and found out that some say E45 and Lanolin aren't good so I cut them out. So I've now started using Dead Sea Salts for bathing and hyopallergenic emollient cream for washing & moisturizing.
It's such a pain not knowing what's useful or not, it's really a matter of trial & error!
I'm also cutting down on dairy products, eggs, alcohol and most meat.
I'll also be travelling for 3 weeks soon so I'm wondering if I'll be able to handle it..
Cheers, any opinions greatly appreciated.
Ed

Offline BigOrangeMonkey

Re: Pompholyx on the hand
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday September 06, 2005, 12:54:15 PM »
Travelling and skin conditions is a pain in the butt, having to take everything with you to try and look after yourself!
Have you been back to the doctor to tell them about the side effects? I would.

Offline smashing_pumpkin

• Registered member
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday September 06, 2005, 02:27:40 PM »
Yeah it'll be a pain alright bringing all the essentials! I had been thinking of cancelling my trip but I now i've decided to go ahead with it. If stress is a pertaining factor of my pompholyx then a good vacation would help!
My doc seems to think the Eryothrocin is causing the rashes.. I've stopped taking them for over a day now and it's getting a little better, especially after soaking in the dead sea salts. But I still have to use some sudo cream to quell the itching.
I was prescribed with stronger steroid cream called Fucibet and using a moisturiser called Dirprobase. It's really hard to know if the stuff helps but since they don't sting/irritate and i'm not itching anymore, it's gotta be good right?
I'm s***ing myself now cos I just found some blisters on my other hand..

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday September 07, 2005, 01:46:45 PM »
Greetings from another pompholyx sufferer! :hi:

Stress is a factor, so the vacation will probably help you. Glad to hear the itching has gone down.

The only thing that helps me is avoiding my triggers... in my case, I'm mildly allergic to nickel, and for some reason my hands really hate lotions. Like all kinds of lotions. When my blisters finally subside and my fingers go to the dry-peeling-oh-my-gosh-what's-wrong-with-your-hands-here-I've-got-some-lotion stage, I have a bit of explaining to do to the general public. ::)

The only other things that help are apple cider vinegar ("ACV") and ice. After hundreds of dollars of tests, the best treatment is 95 cents at the grocery store. ::) Pour some into a shallow bowl and soak for 10-15 minutes. It's even better relief if it's cold... for some reason, cold helps the itch. (I keep my ACV in the refriderator.)

If you have to scratch (and you do, belive me I know) scratch with an ice cube. That's the only way to keep it from itching worse the second after you finish scratching... at leat in my expierence. Another thing - keep your hands out of the covers when you sleep.

Best of luck, and enjoy your vacation! :hi:
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Lizard

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday September 10, 2005, 05:08:45 PM »
Hi,
I like what Bamawing said, though I have never tried the cider vinegar part..  I've gotten to the point where I am losing finger and toe nails.  Lost a toe nail last night  I could start a pharmacy with all the creams I've tried and the only prescription I'm on is Atarx, but that only works for a while.
I wish you luck.

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Saturday September 10, 2005, 11:12:28 PM »
Yowza! I've never lost any fingernails. That sounds awful! :hugs: Try the ACV... nothing works for everyone, but you don't have much to lose.

* Bamawing isn't going to complain about her skin for a while...
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline smashing_pumpkin

• Registered member
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: Saturday September 17, 2005, 05:24:20 PM »
Well i'm here in Hong Kong.
I went to see a dermatologist and I've been getting PUVA treatment for a week now. Although it's effective against existing blisters, i find some new ones growing somewhere else on my hand. So in the long run it's not really doing anything for me.
I also went to a Chinese herbal doctor today. He was recommended because he had treated some of my relatvies who had eczema and it really helped. Funnily enough, the doc concluded I had 'Tinea.' It was taken aback but proceeded to take some of the medicine anyway! It involves a pink topical cream and some herbal tea. My dermatologist was also surprised and she was sure that it wasn't tinea.
So after some sleuthing on the net, I read that Tinea and pompholyx can be quite similar and occassionaly mixed up.
Anyone have any experience with this?
I've stopped using the steroid cream because I think it's not hleping anymore. So now i've decided to utilise both treatments, a sort of East meets West combination in treating my phantom disease. But i'm also stressed because my foot seems to be flaring up again... I hate to have to limp again, since I'm still on vacation

Offline _Alison_

• SkinCell God
  • Cairo to the left and Neo to the right
« Reply #7 on: Saturday September 17, 2005, 06:23:43 PM »
Hi there,

So far, I've went through three "possible" diagnosis........first of all, I was told I had pomphlyx on my hands and feet, then the Dermo decided that it was PPP (palmo plantar psoriasis) and now she's querying tinea.  I think her indecision is because none of her treatments work!!  I've tried every lotion, potion, cream and ointment that the doc can think of and none of it has helped.  She is now treating me for tinea, and believe it or not.........that's not working either!!!  I can't understand why she thinks it's tinea because she took some skin sample (ouch, ouch) and said that absolutely nothing grew (which means there's no fungal infection there).  It might be worth asking your doc to do this too - to see if anything grows.  If it doesn't, then it rules out tinea.

PUVA treatment has been mentioned for me, but as yet, nothing has been done about it.  With a bit of logical thinking, I spent time either with my feet in the sun during the summer and I tried a couple of sunbed sessions too.  Like you, it dried up the existing blisters but new ones just formed elsewhere.

I'm sure I read somewhere that if your nails have little pitted marks on them, then it's a sign of psoriasis and I'm very much thinking that that's what I have - having compared it to others and the fact that my nails are now growing in pitted.

Offline smashing_pumpkin

• Registered member
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: Sunday September 18, 2005, 03:18:24 AM »
Thanks Alison,
Wow I looked up that PPP and once again I'm even more confused. Yes the symptoms are similar!
I must get that skin test.. I know it's sad but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it's Tinea since it's the easiest to cure.
But considering how I contracted it in the first place, I must've been some sort of fungal infection: when I was in japan about 3 years ago, I cut my toe from walking too much. While I was there I had visited a hot spring once, and in the traditonal japanese home I walked bare foot. Not to mention some of the sweat that may had seeped into the wound hence contracting something.

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Monday September 19, 2005, 01:46:33 PM »
That sounds plausible, Smash. :cf: that it really is easily-treatable Tinea!

Offline elfin

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Monday September 19, 2005, 04:04:22 PM »
Just thought I'd add to this diagnosis debate!

My condition started as a few itchy bumps on the underside of one foot.  I was diagnosed with Athlete's Foot, although I just knew it wasn't fungal.  Then it spread to both feet and then my hands.  I was diagnosed with "some sort of dermatitis".  Then tiny, hard blisters came up, mainly between my fingers and toes and I was diagnosed with Pompholyx.  My feet were so sore I couldn't stand on them for long. Finally, once I was covered from neck to toe in the (unbearably itchy) rash, they realised it was Lichen Planus.

This condition also attacks your cuticles and makes your nails ridgy and bumpy and can make them come off altogether.  I'm lucky in that my nails are bumpy but this is gradually growing out - the new nail looks reasonably smooth. (My advice to any other LP sufferers is to remove all bits of cuticles as they loosen - I reckon it's those that mis-shape the soft nailbed if left in situ).

A couple of short courses of Prednisone, some UVB and subsequently many weeks of PUVA later, the itching has subsided, the rash is going brown and all blisters have gone.  Note that it takes many weeks of PUVA before the tide turns and new outbreaks stop. It does seem to work.

It's amazing how little they seem to know about skin problems in general though isn't it?

Offline smashing_pumpkin

• Registered member
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: Monday September 19, 2005, 04:24:31 PM »
Oh god what suffering...
it's been only two days since new blisters appeared on the sole of my foot and now it's chaos.. I can barely walk.. again. Last night the blisters hurt so much I kept yelping in my sleep. The stuff the chinese doctor gave me isn't helping, in fact I reckon that's what inflamed my foot.. what other reason could there be in such short notice?? I had been following my prescription, limited walking and wearing sandals. I have absolutely no idea as to what triggered it so suddenly.
I had been so happy when it cleared up about 2 weeks ago, allowing me to go on this holiday, but once again I'm confined indoors with limited movement. And what's worse I found some tiny blisters on my other foot.. i reckon another week before some bullae appears, then it'll be truly hell.
I'm off to see both east & west doctors tommorow, i'm not looking forward to the walking I'll have to do!
But if i don't get any straight answers I swear i'm gonna go AWOL. I can safely say this is the most stressing & frustrating time of my life, watching my limbs rotting away and not able to do basic things. Even taking a shower is such a hassle.
I know my condition isn't as bad as others who have their entire body affected.. but it's just that I don't have any answers nor a definitive treatment yet. I even have to cancel an internship which will take place next month that sends me off to do volunteer/journalism work in poor countries.. it's a great opportunity missed. My passion is to travel and use my camera & camcorder but now I can hardly walk and hold things with my hand. What use am I??!

Offline _Alison_

• SkinCell God
« Reply #12 on: Monday September 19, 2005, 05:54:40 PM »
I'm feeling your pain here.  My feet have been very sore the last couple of days - but I went out on Friday night and went dancin - not good for them.  I was sitting in the bathroom at 4 in the morning crying they were in such a mess.  Mine is now spreading right round the sole of my foot and this is causing BIG problems walking.  And every time I go walking (which is hard to avoid when I've got the dog), I'm tearing yet more skin off.  IT HURTS LIKE HELL!!!!!

SP. I would say though that your flare up has been caused by something that you've put on them recently.  My Dermo keeps telling me to use emulsifying ointment, but I can't because it makes me itch and causes more blisters to appear.  Are you going to ask your docs about taking a skin scrape to check if it is fungal?  I'm not sure what tests they can do to see if it's an auto-immune reaction - possibly white blood cell count, but don't quote me on that cos I don't know, but try asking your doc if it could be auto-immune and if you can be tested for it.

And my nails are growing in all pitted now and they hurt too - and I have an irrational nail phobia, so the thought of them coming off is almost making me pass out!!!!!

I feel guilty for feeling so sorry for myself when there are people with far worse skin conditions, but I just wish I could find something that gave some relief for even a short while - you wouldn't let an animal go through this!!!!!

Offline smashing_pumpkin

• Registered member
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday September 20, 2005, 06:47:45 AM »
God Alison, that sounds so terrible..
I had to walk quite a bit even though i wasn't supposed to cos I had to get photos & video of the mid-autumn festival here in Hong Kong, it was beautiful! But when I got back home I paid dearly for it..
Im getting my skin test tommorow so wish me luck for tinea! lol

Offline _Alison_

• SkinCell God
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday September 20, 2005, 10:30:36 AM »
Good luck with the skin test.  I don't know whether to cross my fingers for you that it is tinea or not!!  Like you say, at least that's easier to get rid of.

Let me know how you go.

And excuse the last post - I was having a bit of a pity party and feeling sorry for myself. ;D

Offline smashing_pumpkin

• Registered member
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: Friday September 23, 2005, 06:45:42 PM »
Well my results came back negative on any fungus, so that rules out tinea.
Sigh, so i'm back to square one with pompholyx.. I've made a decision to stay here in Hong Kong till I can get healed. My UV treatment finishes tommorow and so i'll just resume my previous medication of steroid creams and a lot of patience & determination!
My foot still looks rotten and blisters are starting to grow on my other foot.. I fear it's only a matter of time before I can't walk at all

Offline smashing_pumpkin

• Registered member
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: Friday September 30, 2005, 03:59:06 PM »
I think I finally found the correct diagnosis for my situation: 'Inflammatory/vesicular Tinea Pedis' accompanied by a 'dermatophytid reaction' that mimics Pompholyx on both hands.
Although the skin test results for my foot were found negative for fungus, my doctors still reckon it's fungal related and besides it was only teeny amounts of skin that were tested.
So now I'm applying some anti-fungal creams, topical steroids for my hands and will be getting some oral anti-fungals in a few days. Hopefully my situation will improve in the upcoming weeks so I can start LIVING again! There's so many things going in Hong Kong and Asia on that will require me constantly on the move with the 'ol camera especially the upcoming WTO protests.. wish me luck!

Gobe

« Reply #17 on: Friday September 30, 2005, 08:57:17 PM »
Good luck smashing pumpkin!

:)

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: Saturday October 01, 2005, 03:15:33 AM »
SP, sounds like you've had a horrible go of it lately  :hug: but I'm glad you have a new diagnosis to play with.  Good luck.

I also have dishydrotic eczema (and only recently found out that it's the same thing as pompholyx, thanks to CP).  Like yours, it started really suddenly about a year ago with an incredibly itchy foot.  Then the blisters appeared.  The steroid creams have had no effect on it.

Bama, if you're still following this post, have you ever tried pure shea butter on your hands?  It is totally bland, and may not be irritating to you.  It's expensive, but I find it to be really helpful in keeping things moist.

Offline needs_help

« Reply #19 on: Saturday October 01, 2005, 03:11:39 PM »
I've been using shea butter for a couple of weeks now, and combined with the psorcon, my skin has cleared up almost completely (but I know that won't last forever). The shea butter I have my mom picked up from the Big E, from a place called body natural (www.bodynaturalonline.com). She brought me back a flyer with info as well as the cream. They offer 2 & 6 ounce jars at $19.95 & $34.95 respectively, and $74.95 for a lifetime supply--use it, and when it's empty, you ship it back to the company, include $10 for the return shipping, and they will send it back refilled. It's helped make my hands extremely soft, and I've been using once/day, at night after my shower. Anyone with nut allergies shouldn't use it, b/c it is derived from a nut. I'm not sure if it would help eczema in particular, but it seems like it would benefit anyone's skin. Hope that helps!