Author Topic: Hand welts  (Read 6445 times)

Offline JSikes1

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
Hand welts
« on: Wednesday February 26, 2003, 03:50:30 PM »
I have three red welts on the side of my hand, along the meaty part of the hand at the very base of the thumb.  I have another smaller welt on the inside of my wrist.  The welts are round, smaller than a dime.  I have had them for about 6 weeks.  At first I thought they were going away when the outer layers of the skin began to peel.  It appeared as though they were drying up.  However, lately they are very pink and somewhat puffy.  There is no fluid inside.  The welts do not itch, but can cause discomfort if scraped.  
I have tried numerous creams and antihystamines, but they are still here.  My doctor thought they could be from a spider.
Anyone know what they could be?
« Last Edit: Thursday January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by 1047168000 »

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
Re: Hand welts
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday February 26, 2003, 08:19:47 PM »
Hi there J,

Firstly let me say 'welcome to SkinCell' :hi:

It's always nice to hear from new members.

Well I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, it sounds like like they are a concern for you. My first reaction when I read your message was the same as the doctors, some form of insect bite seemed the most likely cause, but saying that I'm shocked to think that the skin trauma would last for this long, the healing provess should have kicked in by now and the welts should be almost gone, plis it seems weird that you would have 3 welts close together.

If they aren't then it really makes me wonder what else it might be. I guess it might be possible that the original problem was caused by some form of trauma like an insect bite
which then allowed the skin to become infected, which might help explain the itch/redness/discomfort when touched but it would be almost impossible to say without any proper examination of it by a professional Dermatologist.

Often doctors will not be aware of the million and one skin disorders or related problems that it might be, they tens to deal with general health matters and so do not have the training.
As it has not gobe after this long and sounds like it may be infected I would certainly recommed that you drop in on a dermatologist as soon as your doctor can arrange it so you can have it properly checked and have your mind put at ease.

With luck it will just prove to be a mild infection that can be cleasred with a round on antibiotics.
« Last Edit: Thursday January 01, 1970, 12:00:02 AM by -1 »

peterb

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday February 26, 2003, 09:48:34 PM »
Hi J

A warm welcome to the Forum, I quite agree with Nick here, it would be advisable to go back and see GP with the possibility of a referral to a Dermatologist.

There is one other possibility with what you describe, and that is an Allergy, I do know that Latex Gloves and the like can have this effect on people.

Well, let us know how you get on.  Dont forget to pop in often, there are some good sections here, to have a discussion, share a laugh, have a drink or have a right old rant.

:)

Offline Cazzie

• Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday February 27, 2003, 03:53:21 AM »
Hi JSikes1,

Nice to meet you. I'm really sorry about these anoying welts on your hand. Not sure what it could be but I was thinking that maybe the reason they haven't healed yet is that being on your hand, you can easily scratch them or touch them, further inflaming them- just a guess though.

I think Peter may have something with the latex gloves. Sometimes your skin can develop an intolerance to a substance or material that you have always used. Maybe see if there is anything you've put your hands in contact with that could possibly be causing the welts.

Definitely go see a Derm, as Nick says, if you don't see any clear signs of healing soon.

Hope this helps!

Cazzie