Author Topic: Granuloma Annulare - natural remedy  (Read 106368 times)

Offline smiley

• Registered member
Granuloma Annulare - natural remedy
« on: Monday October 18, 2004, 12:48:05 AM »
Hi,

I have had GA for 10+ years on my elbows and have never had any success with steroid creams, etc.  This summer my GA spread to the inside of my upper arm so I went to my dermatologist who recommended a natural remedy which I thought was crazy but I was desperate so I tried it.  He recommended that I drink 1 oz of raw apple cider vinegar twice a day so about two weeks ago I went to the health food store and bought the raw apple cider vinegar (not the same as the ones in the supermarkets).  I put 1 oz of apple cider vinegar in 16 oz water and add a little honey just to make it taste a little better and I drink that twice a day.  Well it has been two weeks and my granuloma annulare is almost totally gone!  I can't believe it!  After all these years of people saying to me "what happened to your elbows!?"  I also bought a book about raw apple cider vinegar and apparently it is quite good for you... it is cleansing to your system eliminating toxins, etc.  My dermatologist wasn't even sure why it worked but he read that a well known dermatologist has had much success with this remedy.  It has worked for me and if anyone can tolerate drinking the vinegar I highly recommend trying it to see if it works for you too.  I am just so happy with the results that I felt that I had to pass it on to everyone else suffering with this crazy skin condition.  Hope it helps.

Offline KWS

• Registered member
Re: Granuloma Annulare - natural remedy
« Reply #1 on: Monday November 29, 2004, 01:47:00 AM »
Hi, Seems like there are not too many people on this forum. Too bad ! I really need someone to talk to about Granuloma Annulare. I have had this problem for at least 8 years. I had read your memo a few weeks ago about the apple cider vinigar treatment. Well I tried it with no effect at all in a two week period. I'll keep it up for a while longer. I had been using Chlobetasol cream which keeps it in check as long as you don't stop using it. I did notice some thinning of the skin, so I stopped. My dermatologist perscribed Eledil Cream. What a joke!! Didn't do a thing but cost me and arm and a leg. My condition has gotton worse. I have the bumps on my upper back, my arms, and on my rib cage area. I do have some minor bumps on my knee's and legs. I have the generalized form of the disease. Do you have the same? Please get back if you can. I don't know anyone else with this profound problem and would find it nice just to have someone to talk to. Thanks,  Kim

Offline Victoria

« Reply #2 on: Monday November 29, 2004, 08:44:25 PM »
Hiya Kim!! Welcome!

:)

-Victoria

Offline Overthehill

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday November 30, 2004, 02:17:47 AM »
I also have this problem.  I've had it for 18 months and have tried everything. By everything I mean Clobetasol cream,Elidel,Accutane, and a pill (can't think of the name) that was supposed to reduce the red blood cells so the white ones could fight the "problem".  None of these things worked.  I am now on PUVA treatments, which seem to be working.I have to take 5 tabs of Oxsoralen Ultra one hr before treatments-which are 2x per week.  They make your skin ultra-sensitive to light, and the PUVA treatments are given in a huge standup "tanning" booth.  The rings appear to be getting lighter in the middle and the outside ring inflamation is going down. 
I would not have gone to this extent, but I have MANY.  all over my arms,legs,and even my face. Some as big around as silver dollars and linked with others to form HUGE ones! 
If the PUVA does'nt work, I just don't know what to try next.  And yes, I have tried the vinegar too.
It's good to know there are others out there!  I'm just so tired of having to wear long sleeves all the time! 
Hang in there, there has to be something that works for us!

peterb

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday November 30, 2004, 07:15:12 AM »
Hi Kim, Smiley and OverTheHill

A warm welcome to the forum.  I think there are a few members with GA, but the nature of the forum, people dont log in daily.  I am sure you can discuss your treatments and maybe the other sufferers will join in when available.

Peter and Rosie.

Offline Suzy2

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Monday December 13, 2004, 10:55:48 AM »
Hello Fellow GA sufferers.
I tried the vinegar with high hopes. Didn't work for me either. I've been to the dermo and tried the creams. My skin couldn't take it and I did not see results. I haven't had it appear on my face yet. That's my fear. I can imagine your desperation Overthehill.
I am currently not eating wheat. My chiropractor/accupressurist/witch doctor thinks that I have a wheat sensitivity and GA is my reaction to it. She says this is my immune system telling me something. It's very hard to stay away from wheat I've got to tell you!  :-\  There is no place on my body where the GA completely disappeared but my hands are actually looking a bit better. Could be the wheat, could be that finally I am seeing it turn itself off. I keep hearing that this is suppose to go away on it's own but mine never has.
It's a comfort to know that others share this. I have yet to meet anyone in my every day life that has it.
Good Luck to all!
Suzy
Searching for a cure. :)

Offline floridian

• Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday December 14, 2004, 06:55:42 PM »
Many, but not all psoriasis patients are sensitive or allergic to wheat. It is worth a try to eliminate it.  I know what you mean about finding it in all kinds of foods as my wife and I cut out the wheat a few weeks ago.  Her autoimmune thyroid condition improved remarkably - my psoriasis maybe some, maybe not.

Apple cider vinegar is a popular remedy.  I don't know if it helps with P but again, it is safe and cheap.  Did you know that most of the white vinegar in the stores is distilled from petrochemical plants??  There is acetic acid vapor in natural gas, which is filtered out and purified for food use!  I used to prefer the malt vinegar, but now on a wheat free diet, I can't have that - most malt is from barley or wheat, which has gluten!

Offline MarieC

• SkinCell Grand
  • Fa Shizzle
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday December 14, 2004, 07:06:35 PM »
it IS hard to stay away from wheat! unfortunately, everything practically has wheat/gluten in it. staying away from it has helped a lot tho.

Offline radar

• Registered member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday February 01, 2006, 12:40:20 AM »
 :hi:
I'm so glad I found you all.  I've had this mess for more than 10 years. A ring would appear on my hand, then disappear.  My mom swore it was ringworms, so I went to the derm.  That's when I found out it is GA. I've seen lots of claims that the vinegar works.  Haven't tried it yet.  My doctor gave me Psorcon ointment.  I would put it on my hands at night and sleep in white cosmetic gloves.  I saw a difference, but once I stopped it really spread all over the back of my hands.

The "no wheat" messages are very interesting.  Thinking back to when this all started . . . I went from a high protein way of eating to eating lots of bread again.  Not only did I pack on the pounds, but that's also when I got this mess.  Think I'll lay off the wheat and see what happens.  I've also read that this may be related to diabetes and/or hypothyrodism.

I would love to get with all of you via personal e-mails and put together a chart of what we use/eat/drink and see what we are all doing that is common each other.  Any takers? [email address removed]  Sometimes we have to be our own doctor.

« Last Edit: Wednesday February 01, 2006, 12:46:22 AM by totalfolly »

Offline Daisey

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Little Angels
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday February 01, 2006, 02:24:52 AM »
hi, welcome to skincell Radar

Daisey
Life is a wonderful journey, enjoy every day, be thankful for love, & live for the moment! :-)

Offline songinmyheart54

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday February 01, 2006, 02:55:03 AM »
Hello everyone
  I am new to this forum and I have really enjoyed reading everyone's story. I have had this rash for about 4 years. When it first started we thought it was eczema because I have had eczema most of my life in different areas. My rash started on one leg and then spread to the other. The itching is unbearable. I would scratch so much that my shins looked like raw meat. I could not stop scratching and it was so awful that blood would drip down into my shoes.
  Then as if magic happened it went away..I had so many prescriptions for different creams that if any of them helped I wouldnt know which one did.
   A year or so later it came again on the same leg and spread to the other leg. I heard somewhere that a woman had a rash on her legs and she sat in the sun and got a terrible sunburn on her legs. Her rash cleared up almost at once. So I thought what I would do is use the hand held shower spray and use hot water as hot as I could stand it..I did for a few days..Believe it or not it worked!!. but not for long. I started having joint pains so I went to an arthritis doctor. I showed him this rash that had come back again. They did a biopsy and said it was granuloma annulare and he prescribed dapsone. You have to be careful taking it because it does something to the blood cells but it worked. ;D
   Two weeks ago it started back again. I tried the hot water but it only relieved the itching for several hours. I used benadryl and that helped the itch but my leg turned blood red. Then I remembered that I still had Dapsone so I started taking it yesterday. It has started helping already but it scares me about the blood cells.
    Sorry to be blabbering on so but what I dont understand is many of you say your rash is in a form of a ring. Mine does not look like that and the only thing I could find on-line was called generalized GA. None of the photos look like mine. Mine look just like red bumps under the skin and in no order, just all over the leg and it starts off small and spreads..
  Well I better close for now. I am so happy to be able to talk with someone about this. It is depressing...Thanks for listening. Anyone out there that wants to write me, please do....Pat :laugh:

Offline DENEICY

• Registered member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday July 05, 2006, 12:32:30 AM »
I have the bumps on my elbows, too..and when I scratch them they're like measles or chicken pox.  And I'm wondering if it's that mysterious, controversial disease, candida albans.  I seem to have addictive behavior toward the culpric foods....wheat, corn, fruits, rice, milk and wine.  ANd I'm hypoth7roid with a diabetic father.

email address removed
« Last Edit: Wednesday July 05, 2006, 09:24:15 AM by totalfolly »

Offline megger28

• Registered member
« Reply #12 on: Monday November 16, 2009, 01:30:52 PM »
hey everyone i just found out that i have GA on my hand and was wondering if anyone had advice about how to help stop the itching its driving me mad!! :'( any info about it would be very much appreciated i am  new with this so i am going to try all of your suggestions!!

Offline BirdieNumNums

• Registered member
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday December 15, 2009, 07:59:18 PM »
Hello, All!  New to the forum - just stumbled upon it today.  :)

I developed GA 32 years ago when I was 12 years old.  Guess that makes me a grizzled veteran.  I tried to break up a fight between 2 of my guinea pigs, and one bit me real good, right on the elbow.  Not long after that, I got my first spot of GA in the same location.  (Interestingly, I heard of another person developing GA after being bitten by a jellyfish.)

Never completely got rid of it, and I'm not doing anything for it - it just does its own thing - gets better, gets worse, etc.  It's never been really bad, but of course it's still no fun.  Diprolene worked fairly well for me (ointment works the best, don't bother with the cream) but I'm really bad at remembering to use it.  Probably a good thing, since it is supposed to thin your skin.  I want to do something natural, though, a search which led me to this forum.

I have heard of the many benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar, and was taking it randomly for general health reasons, but again I have a hard time sticking with something. Plus, it's bad for the enamel on your teeth...

I also have very mild psoriasis, which I've had for maybe 20 years or so.  It's all but gone now, though.  Not sure how I got that one in the first place.  

I've also heard removing wheat from the diet is beneficial, but I don't think I'm up for that challenge just yet.   :P
« Last Edit: Tuesday December 15, 2009, 09:08:11 PM by BirdieNumNums »

Offline wildwitch51

• Registered member
« Reply #14 on: Sunday July 11, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
 ;D

Hi everyone - I was diagnosed with GA 19 years ago - tried just about every treatment without success but was then diagnosed with Coeliac nearly 3 years ago.  Following a Gluten and Wheat free diet has totally eliminated my GA.

It is not easy initially - you have to become an expert in choosing your food and understanding all of the ingredients.  I tend to batch cook meals and freeze individual portions.

You also have to ensure that you do not unintentionally cross contaminate so you need your own pans/chopping boards/butter/jam etc.  I initially cut out only Gluten but then had a flare up of GA about a year ago and believe that this is down to Wheat - some Gluten free foods still contain Wheat starch.  Cutting out all of the Wheat related products has meant that the GA has cleared again

Good Luck everyone

Kirstie

Offline Tired_of_GA

• Registered member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday January 13, 2011, 03:01:07 AM »
Hi all; I've had GA for 5 years.  Started as a small spot on my leg and now I have large and small spots pretty much everywhere!  I've been to the derm with no answers and no results....just a ton of unhealthy steroids and RX's.  I've since moved onto a holistic which has cost me thousands, with still no results.  To make matters worse, I'm now dealing with body acne due to hormone issues.
I'm a 33 year old, attractive and in shape women who is tired of constantly wearing jeans and long sleeve shirts in the middle of a FL summer.... Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated....

Offline minc3

• Registered member
« Reply #16 on: Saturday January 15, 2011, 11:11:33 PM »
Hi all.  I'm a 28 year old male.  I got GA when I was about 11 or 12.  It was a ring on the inside of one of my feet, kind of below the ball of the ankle. I also had another semi ring area on the inside of where one of my biceps would be if I had any at that time :)  Doctors kept mis-diagnosing it as ringworm and I took a lot of the pills, steroid creams, had to give blood to make sure my liver (or kidney, can't remember) was healthy because one of the pills could be bad for your liver.  Anyway, none of those things worked so finally went to a derm and they said it was GA and to take these tiny shots directly into the spots themselves.  It seemed to work almost immediately if I remember correctly the spots started to disappear.  Definitely within a day or two the GA was gone.  They never came back until my college days.  Now I have a spot kind of like a ring on the top of my left foot.  It's not even really like physical bumps on top of my foot, it's like it's just right under the skin.  I have another that's more like a ring that is under my left pec on my side.  Sometimes it kind of flares up and is more visible and sometimes it won't be as visible.  I will try to ease up on the wheat and see how that affects the flares and will also try to apple cider vinegar.  If that doesn't work I'm going to find a derm out here in Cali and try to get those shots again.  Good luck to all of you!

Offline garry

• Registered member
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday March 22, 2011, 03:27:14 AM »
Hey everyone, have had this crap (GA) for 4 yrs now. Just finally found out what it is. Man I am healthy. Very active , no red meat , lots of fruits and vegies, mostly organic with everything, or grow my own stuff and freeze, no soda pop in 18 yrs, 54yrs old, 5ft 7, & 140lbs. Tried topical aloe right off the plant, tea tree oil, high percentage hydrogen peroxide, birch and lavender oils, each one all topical every night for one month. None of them worked. mine started on underside of both wrists as bumps and now on top of both hands as rings. We have to find something that will work!!! Am going to try the raw apple cider vinegar I already consume some of this but not every day. If this does not work I will try the wheat elimination. stressed out    .....garry

Offline gabanks

• Registered member
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday April 26, 2011, 07:08:38 PM »
Hi all my name is Donna and Ive suffered with granuloma Annulare for 19 years now, I have recently been trying to find new treatments to try to clear my complaint.  i eat a well balanced diet exercise and am not over weight if anything I may still be a little underweight.

When I first went to the doctors when 11 it was just a small amount on my foot and on my knee, both sections looked completly different he referred me to my local hospital as he had never seen anything like it before, when I went to the hospital I had loads of doctors looking at me as no-one had seen it before.  They tried to freeze a section of it - This made it worse!

I then used make-up suggested by another hospital to try and cover it up as no other treatment was known by doctors at time, I did this until I fell pregnant - IT COMPLETLEY DISSAPEARED as soon as my baby was born it appeared again worse!

I then tried the ultra violet treatment this made it fade a little but was still noticeable and took along time to see any results!

I then became pregnant again, and again it completley dissapeared and once again once baby was born it came back worse again.

I then tried using sun beds, it made it fade but as soon as I didnt go it flared up again.

I then gave up for ages wore clothes that covered it and dealt with people asking what it is! I noticed that it would be worse in the cold winter months and fade slightly in the warmer summer months

I have this complaint on the following both feet very severe and extremley noticeable, elbow, lower leg, knee, bra strap area, thighs and bottom. It is rarely itchy and doesnt look like standard granuloma annulare either

Now that the sun is out again it would be nice to feel comfortable in a bikini something I have never been able to do!

I am currently taking vitamin E 400IU Vitamin B and aloa vera gel

I have also been looking in to taking the following vitamin D, zinc, calcium vitamin a, cortisone cream, zileuton 2400, raw applecider vinegar and going on a wheat free diet.  Has anyone experienced any success with any off these?

If anyone could help or if anyone wants to talk about there Granuloma annulare please just shout  :)

Offline BES

• Registered member
« Reply #19 on: Monday September 19, 2011, 08:14:04 AM »
Hello everybody
Im 53 years old and have GA. I have only had it for less than a year. I have tried Dapsone and have had injection af Komp... something sorry cant remember (steriod). Well, the steroid shots helped with the spots a bit but compleatly on the cost of my mental state, so wont be having more of those.   :-[
I truly believe the cause of this is something you either eat or get from you surroundings.
I will be trying the vinegar.
Some how its good not to be alone. (hope my english is not to bad)
Greetings from the Icelandic granny