Author Topic: what's the difference between p and leprosy??  (Read 2963 times)

countdracula

what's the difference between p and leprosy??
« on: Wednesday June 30, 2004, 08:22:56 PM »
i was wonderinganybody here no the difference between the 2? i am sure leprosy is far worse but curious anyway.
the count..... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline Ami

• SkinCell Hero
  • Mother's Love
Re:what's the difference between p and leprosy??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday July 01, 2004, 01:01:18 PM »
That is strange question to ask I would say leprosy but *P can make u feel like that way some people are.

puppydogeyes

« Reply #2 on: Thursday July 01, 2004, 04:32:58 PM »
not quite sure if this is the place to post this one count but i agree with ami.... *P has made me feel like i've got something like that.

Offline juliep

• SkinCell Grand
  • Foster Mum
  • PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF SKINCELL
« Reply #3 on: Thursday July 01, 2004, 08:41:14 PM »
Good question.

Difference is Leprosy is a contagious disease, a chronic infection that causes a variety of skin lesions mostly with marked sensory loss. It is extremely disfiguring and can affect the mucous membranes and the eyes as well as the skin. Thickening of the nerves also occurs, particularly the peripheral nerves causing sufferers to be unaware of sensation and therefore more likely to suffer accidental injury and things like sunburn. It is a fallacy that bits of the body drop off, but in medieval times and earlier it was thought that removing the affected area (hand, foot, limb) would get rid of the leprosy - of course it didn't.

Psoriasis, on the other hand, is an autoimmune condition that involves only the skin, although on rare occasions it can affect the tongue and buccal membranes, and of course there can be bony involvement in the form of psoriatic arthritis. It is not contagious and does not involve the nerve supply.

Interestly, psoriasis and leprosy have been linked in the past but only due to ignorance of both diseases.

hope that answers your question

julie  :)
its only me - Juliep

Offline lisalisa23

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #4 on: Friday July 02, 2004, 03:45:31 PM »
I know p is not nearly as bad.  But it sure can make you feel like one.   :'(

However, that was a great bit of info Juliep.  Thank you very much.

Lisa

countdracula

« Reply #5 on: Monday July 05, 2004, 12:29:29 AM »
hi juliep did i spell your name right?
anyway as i'm reading your factual response to my inquery did i spell that right lol
making me sickly lol everytime i watch the movie ben-hur and he looking for
his sister and mother in the cave fo the lepers that always makes me queesy or
sick to my stomach no matter how many times i watch the movie that always
has an affect on me. and thanks for the info.
count

Offline juliep

• SkinCell Grand
  • Foster Mum
  • PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF SKINCELL
« Reply #6 on: Monday July 05, 2004, 12:13:36 PM »
Yes, you did spell it right although my name is julie - the p stands for my surname
its only me - Juliep

Offline Princess Peach

• SkinCell God
  • of Kawaii Kitty
  • Resident Geordie
    • Peach Paradise
« Reply #7 on: Monday July 05, 2004, 10:07:15 PM »
Ouch! When I saw the title I thought it was a troll!

Offline Val

• SkinCell Friend
  • Golden GasBag
  • Mmmmm ! The Weird One I am !
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday July 06, 2004, 10:36:42 AM »

Great explanation about Leprosy there Julie. :up:

I remember going to visit a Leprosy Colony whilst living in Malaysia many years ago, and found it fascinating and very informative. I was really surprised to find that it's not always contagious though, especially once treatment has started also it can now be cured.

http://www.dermnetnz.org/bacterial/leprosy.html

The above site explains about the contagious and curing near the bottom of the page.

:hugs:

peterb

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday July 06, 2004, 10:46:17 AM »
Here is an interesting article you may like to read. ----------

I want to go through a survey which was published under the auspices of the National Psoriasis Foundation. There were 17,000 patients with psoriasis, and this was a standard survey. Let's talk about the results.

These are symptoms patients listed:  Scaling - you would imagine everybody had it. Itching - 80 percent of patients complain of itching, burning, and stinging of their psoriasis. Redness you would expect, but it causes tightness of the skin, burning, fatigue, bleeding, in about one-third of the patients.

[There is also the] emotional side of psoriasis - feelings of unattractiveness, depression. The one thing people hate is, "[Is] my psoriasis going to get any worse? I am embarrassed by my psoriasis. I can't wear the clothes I want; I can't work with people because my hands are involved." And this is a high number; 10 percent are young kids who have contemplated suicide. That's higher than almost any other chronic disease. So when managed care turns you down for new drugs, you sure as hell let them know about the emotional aspect of psoriasis because they need to be educated.

Now the social aspect: How many people out there, little kids, have looked at you and backed off? People have gone to swimming pools, they have gone to food-related activities, and they have been told, "Hang on, you have a condition that may be contagious."

I gave a talk at Baylor this morning about the history of psoriasis from biblical times until 1800. For 1800 years, psoriasis was considered to be leprosy, and people were barred from doing things. People were burned at the stake in the 14th century because they thought they had leprosy, so psoriasis is often mistaken as other diseases.

An interesting survey was done relating to the impact disease has, and they took hypertension, heart disease, heart failure, diabetes, depression, arthritis, cancer. Now where does psoriasis fit into this? The lower the score, the worse the patients report their physical outcomes. Heart failure is 35, psoriasis 41. Psoriasis is second. Hypertension, heart attack, diabetes, depression, arthritis, cancer, of all these 7 to 8 diseases out there, psoriasis is second in the severity of the physical outcomes relating to it.

Now let's talk about the social or mental outcomes. The same diseases were taken, and psoriasis again is number two - not second best, but second worst, to depression.

http://www.healthtalk.com/psoriasis/programs/101403/page04.cfm
« Last Edit: Tuesday July 06, 2004, 10:47:37 AM by rock »

Offline electric_ian

• SkinCell Friend
  • Generator
  • Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday July 06, 2004, 10:57:14 AM »
Good article Peter,Doctors need to be more aware of the emotional side which can lead to depression.rather than just fobbing people of with a tube of cream..
Ian
There are only 3 type of people on this planet those who can count and those who can't

Offline Ami

• SkinCell Hero
  • Mother's Love
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday July 06, 2004, 11:21:42 AM »
Yes very good article Peter I've in past felt so depreession with it by lack of help by my Doc and also the bit about turn down for things its just not fair.
Ian your right there may times I've be fob off with tubes of cream.

puppydogeyes

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday July 06, 2004, 10:36:28 PM »
Good article Peter,Doctors need to be more aware of the emotional side which can lead to depression.rather than just fobbing people of with a tube of cream..
Ian

i agree with u totally Ian  :up:

interesting article peter  :)