Author Topic: Ecxema help  (Read 17480 times)

Offline Jdance

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
Re:Ecxema help
« Reply #20 on: Monday June 14, 2004, 03:31:08 PM »
Where can i get the liquid parafin/white parafin...i don't mind greasy, it just soaks right into my skin anyway!!! LOL

Gobe

« Reply #21 on: Monday June 14, 2004, 03:50:21 PM »
Well in the UK you just ask the chemist (pharmacist for) it since it is availabe without prescription.  

I am sure that your pharmacist would be able to make up the mixture since the two ingredients are universally available.

An alternative would be just plain vaseline but it will a little heavier and even more greasy than the 50/50 mixture.

Here's to being greasy and well hydrated!

:D

Gobe

« Reply #22 on: Monday June 14, 2004, 03:52:41 PM »
Oops just noticed in my earlier post I made a mistake - have changed it now to read soft white paraffin and liquid parafin.

Offline Paradise

• SkinCell Grand
  • Sweet Temptation
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday June 16, 2004, 05:29:08 PM »
Hi every1 :hi:  I am new to this forum, don't remember how I found this incredible website, but it seems pretty cool  8)
I'll try to keep up with this forum even though work is pretty busy for me.

Like many, I have  *E as well and God knows what else...
I'd like to start by saying this is a great forum.  I think since not all  *E are alike, people who are posting comments here have a greater chance to find the best ways to treat  *E by finding others w/ similar symptoms and exchanging problems & solutions.
There're definitely times I want to blame my parents for giving me this, but I don't have the hearts to.  I do feel that it's easier if you don't make it a big deal and live life just like the rest of the population, it doesn't get too burdensome.  I can't say I'm lucky to have a lifetime partner to support me, but I feel lucky at least I have gd friends whom I don't think care too much if I'm different in this way and family  :bighug:

Like Jessica, my  *E seems to get worse when I'm under stress, other times it may be weather or allergins.  Now I have some redness on my face.  I am treating it with (over-the-counter med) Desonide and it seems to be somewhat ok, but I'm seeming some bumps on my face, esp under eyes.  My derm asked me to try in addition to the med Tarozac, he thinks it's some form of acne, and it's hormonal.  (I don't really agree.  I'm 25 and my B-day's in a month  ;D)  I tried it for a while, but doesn't seem to work too well, sometimes it causes more irritation on areas I put it on.  So, I'm going to go off of it.  Now just using Desonide and Curel for my face.  I don't really know what else to try.

I have some questions to ask every1.  I am going on a Caribbean cruise in abt 3 months.  Is it all right to use sunscreen on the face and body along with the medication and my moisturizer?  (I plan on getting Neutrogena)  Will it irritate my face more?  Does it matter SPF 30 or 45?  Does the chance of developing skin cancer/diseases increase for people with  *E?  I hope the sea water won't make my skin worse
 :-\  If any1 has any helpful tips before I go on the cruise, please share.  I would really appreciate it  ;)

-Paradise
-Paradise zzz

Gobe

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday June 16, 2004, 06:22:49 PM »
 :hi:

Welcome to Skincell Paradise!

:)

Offline lurker

• SkinCell Grand
  • Shadow
  • Lurking SkinCell Member
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday June 16, 2004, 09:49:36 PM »
:hi: Paradise,

Great to see you here!  I have E as well as Gobe and many others, and you are right that the more information that is exchanged the better it will be for everyone.

A couple points I'd like to make here regarding your post.

The acne, yeah, you could be 25 but I'm older than that and I will get acne if I use steroids on my face.  Desonide (aka Tridesilone) is a topical steroid (lotion?) and when these types of medicines are applied, particularly to the face, one of the most common side effects is acne.

Another factor in the acne could be the Curel.  I like it but I find it heavy, and the varieties of Curel that I have seen do not say non-comodogenic, which is the technical term of not causing acne/clogging pores.   You might want to try something lighter if your skin isn't extremely dry - something like Moisturel or Cetaphil or even Aveeno would be good alternatives to consider.

This Tarozac is a Vitamin A drug like Retin A and is actually used for psoriasis (like Dovonex, which I think is Vitamin D related) as well as acne (not common use).   You shouldn't be needing this if you just keep the face clean and not clog up pores or use the steroid cream/ointment (especially not ointment!) for any duration on your face.

Sunscreen is difficult to judge as there are so many brands and ingredients out there.  Just find one that doesn't irritate your skin and you should be fine - do some tests on your arm or something before applying to the face.   Higher SPF the better if you plan on going to the tropics but that is a general rule and not applicable to everyone.   Basically, I am of no help here ;)

I have found that the sun helps my eczema tremendously and I know that I am not alone in this (even some psoriasis folks say it helps them).   I hope that you see some improvement from getting this sun.

As for the salt water, it is also said that the salt water will help the skin rather than irritate it so perhaps this whole trip (sun and salt water) will be of great help to your skin.

Pack plenty of the things you would need - moisturizer, medication, etc. and you should be fine.   If your eczema is triggered by food or other allergies then consider packing extra allergy medicine in case you get exposed to a trigger.

And most of all, have fun and relax, because stress can cause all kinds of problems with your skin, body, and mind.

Welcome to SkinCell.  May you find help and heart here.

- lurker

Offline Paradise

• SkinCell Grand
  • Sweet Temptation
« Reply #26 on: Friday June 18, 2004, 01:29:50 PM »
Thanks Lurker for your helpful post  :blah:

Still a little hung up on the Desonide.  My derm told me to use it 3 times a day on my face for the redness.  I had redness on my face, it's hard to describe it but they're not all over my face, just around my mouth on both sides (not on the lips but the skin around it) and the areas under my eyes where my cheekbones are.  This was before I went to my derm and used the Desonide.  (I use the ointment form because I do have dry skin)  After that, the redness seems to come and go and I begin to have the little red bumps that I described in my previous post.  Now I don't use the Tarozac anymore since it seemed to irritate my skin and didn't do any good to help the situation.  I'm following the derm's instruction to use the Desonide 3 times daily until my face is back to normal, and I'm using Curel as face moisturizer on top.

Should I go off of the Desonide and use a good moisturizer alone? (I'll try others you suggested, Curel is a bit on the greasy side if I use too much on face.)  I am concerned about using steroids on any part of my skin in general, esp on the face because I hear they're good for short-term but not so great in the long run.  How long should I wait generally if I'm testing a certain product on my skin before I decide not to use it?

Also, I do notice I have large open pores on my face, ewww  :-[ and there're white things stuck in the pores (I think they're clogged pores).  They're pretty much all over my face and nose.  I also have white heads, they're at the corner of my eyes. (About an inch from eyes) My derm told me to use the Tarozac for this for the acne that he diagnosed with, but I'm not using it anymore) What can I do to clean out these clogged pores permanently and tighten those large pores?  I want to be able to have a soft clean face again!  (I am using Shiseido's cleansing foam sometimes to clean my face before applying anything.)

On another note, I've been battling this for quite some time but still no result and my derm has little clue as well.  I sweat a lot on the palm of my hands, back of feet, and underarms.  You'd have to put me in a fridge to stop the sweats forever.  (I am sort of a nervous type but there's still no excuse for sweating so much even when I'm with friends) I had used Drysol and Xerac on those sweaty areas, but they both seemed to irritate my skin a while after I put them on.  (Esp the palm of my hands.  I have this redness and little red bumps on my palm, which I'm treating it with Cyclocort prescribed by my derm to use on flare ups on body)
Does anyone know what else is effective to reduce the excessive sweat without all the fancy surgeries?  :-\  I'm gushing over hereĀ¦.

Ummm :o if salt water supposedly work well with *E, does that mean I can go buy those bath salt an bathe myself in them everyday? :lol:
-Paradise zzz

Offline smellie-nellie

• Registered member
« Reply #27 on: Friday June 18, 2004, 01:51:26 PM »
I tend to talk too much so if I am doing that here -please forgive me. Its a life long habit. My husband is a male nurse. He returned from work today and told me that during conversation with an agency nurse he had told of my quick simle fix with the glad wrap kitchen plastic. To his interest the woman immediately said to him - thats a well known one for bad ecxema and that she herself had improved her own condition out of sight using plain olive oil on her skin then the plastic wrap!! She said it worked better for her than any cream she had ever tried. She also spoke of a product called Shea butter and said it was excellent also.

Offline Paradise

• SkinCell Grand
  • Sweet Temptation
Eczema updates
« Reply #28 on: Thursday April 19, 2007, 03:58:20 AM »
Well I was trying to find a thread that I started out to keep track of my eczema updates/visits but didn't find any so I'll just use this one since I had written some history on it.

Went for a follow-up appt yesterday and talked to my derm about the condition of my face, body, and the irritated nipples I've been having. 

For the face and nipples:
  Instead of continuing with Desonide ointment, he prescribed me a compound of Desonide in cream form and hydrophilic ointment with the intention of 1. minimal side-effects from cortisones and 2. balancing out the dryness (alcohol) in cream with the mixture of ointment.

For body:
  He's having me try Topicort ointment as opposed to the generic brand (Amcinonide) of Cyclocort I have been using.  He recently found out Cyclocort was being replaced by the generic because they had stopped manufacturing it.  I had previously suspected the generic didn't seem to work as well on me as the brand name and my derm now tells me it could be the different ingredients.  So I shall see how this Topicort works out for me.

Along with these topical cortisones, he is concerned with secondary infections esp with me having to peel off the crusty nipple sticking to my bra.  So I was prescribed antibiotics (Cephalexin) pills.  Two months supply this time I believe  :o

I have yet to start any of this but I should keep track of the progress.  Follow up is in 8 - 10 weeks. 
Fun....
-Paradise zzz

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
Re: Ecxema help
« Reply #29 on: Thursday April 19, 2007, 08:28:24 PM »
Paradise, why not start a skin journal?  If you'd like me to do it for you, send me a pm. :)