Author Topic: Psoriasis Hall of Pshame ![eczema,seb derm]  (Read 17651 times)

Celery Peach

Psoriasis Hall of Pshame ![eczema,seb derm]
« on: Monday January 19, 2004, 07:07:15 PM »
Just found this & found it rather  :o

http://www.pinch.com/skin/pshame.html
« Last Edit: Saturday April 03, 2004, 11:15:13 PM by Electric_ian »

Tiny_Mo

Re:Psoriasis Hall of Pshame !
« Reply #1 on: Monday January 19, 2004, 07:42:55 PM »
Thanks CP have passed this onto some friends who all suffer from P :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

peterb

« Reply #2 on: Monday January 19, 2004, 08:45:25 PM »
Good link CP I have used this for ages, it gives you the low down on treatments which are dubious.

Offline russkygb

• Registered member
  • MAD MANC
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday March 30, 2004, 06:07:15 PM »
WOW

thats opened my eyes >:(

thanks for the link

cheers

russ
the first thing that comes into my head is the last thing i remember

Offline boogiedougie

• SkinCell God
  • of the Magical Moon
« Reply #4 on: Thursday April 01, 2004, 11:18:27 PM »
 :o me too CP, thanks for the link.
"dont sweat the small stuff"

Offline Bri9801

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Barman
  • The Thin Blue Line
« Reply #5 on: Friday April 02, 2004, 04:33:25 PM »
I have seen it beofore too, but never the less a great link for everybody to know about :up:

Offline electric_ian

• SkinCell Friend
  • Generator
  • Registered SkinCell Member
Re:Psoriasis Hall of Pshame ![eczema,seb derm]
« Reply #6 on: Saturday April 03, 2004, 11:18:24 PM »
I have made this thread sticky as requested also added eczema and seb derm to the title as have been informed that some of these so called treatments are aimed for those conditions also...
Ian :)
There are only 3 type of people on this planet those who can count and those who can't

Offline Hvns

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lemon-Aid
Re:Psoriasis Hall of Pshame ![eczema,seb derm]
« Reply #7 on: Saturday June 26, 2004, 03:49:02 PM »
What a great link CP!

Hvns
When Life gives you Lemons--Make Lemonaide!

Offline stargirl

• Registered member
Re: Psoriasis Hall of Pshame ![eczema,seb derm]
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday June 29, 2005, 08:59:02 PM »
many thanks for link :bighug:
stargirl :)

Offline LOX

• SkinCell God
    • Maple Tree Studio
« Reply #9 on: Saturday December 17, 2005, 12:56:36 PM »
I've known about that site for a couple years now. I learned about it early on in my self treatment for psoriasis.

I recommend the site to others, since most of it seems to be good valid advice warning against scams and quackery. Skin Cap, Skin Zinc...ughhh!!! Junk.

I use the word, most" because the single problem I have with The Psoriasis Hall of Pshame is the mention of the book that I followed to cure myself of psoriasis: Lisa Levan's book, "The Psoriasis Cure." It's also the book that inspired me to go the naturopathic route rather than use harsh drugs and light treatments. Seven months after buying the book, I was totally clear of psoriasis and remain 100 % clear to this day. So, as you might imagine, I have a huge problem when someone makes negative comments about that book. It remains in handy reach right there on my book shelf and I still refer to it often. Most of the healthy advice that I've shared on this forum and the National Psoriasis Foundation's forum comes straight out of the pages of that book. Practically verbatim.

I think most people turn away from that book simply because of the title on the cover. If the cover of the book bothers you, just tear it off and read the inside. That's where all the important stuff is anyway.

To concur illness, a change of attitude is often necessary.

Celery Peach

« Reply #10 on: Saturday December 17, 2005, 01:48:39 PM »
:) Hi Lox

I appreciated what you are saying there, about the mentioned book, and indeed, that its insulting when someone puts down what has worked for you - natural or otherwise. I find it just as insulting when accused of 'giving in' to pharmaceutical drugs and not 'curing myself' by natural means. Which BTW I have tried many of myself with varying results.

I think the key word in all of it is this - CURE.

Cure is a very strong claim, especially when dealing with incurable illnesses, and I am sorry, but in my eyes, unless medical science has bona Fido evidence of a cure, then it cannot be claimed as such, its simply management of symptoms or remission.

I actually believe in natural treatments, but I think many of us struggle with the strict regimes needed to benefit from the full wisdom of it. Of course, find your allergies, cleanse your system and live as naturally as possible, but its a major life change that many of us are unwilling to follow.

Why then, charge people for a book, when quality advice of the same kind can be found on the net as you say ? Its not the cover of the book that bothers me, its the claim of a cure for an incurable illness.

Offline LOX

• SkinCell God
    • Maple Tree Studio
« Reply #11 on: Saturday December 17, 2005, 03:05:51 PM »
Ahh, that infamous word, "CURE."

I've written about that dreaded word at length in previous posts.

I'd be happy if the word was banished from use.

I think the mistake comes from the fact that many people, when they hear the word, "CURE," they instantly think of permanence. Wrong !!! How can anyone know if they've been PERMANENTLY been released from ever getting the illness again as long as they are living on this earth ?

I never use it, but if you want to use the word cure, think about it this way:
Take steps to make the symptoms of the illness disappear, then work to keep them away. If the symptoms never return until the day you die, then I guess you can say that you've been "CURED." But until that fatal day comes that you breath your last breath, you will never really know if you've been permanently cured of anything. We all live in the natural world.....any illness has the potential for returning. If the illness ever returns, even if it's 50-60 years later, how can anyone claim to be permanently cured of anything. You can say that the illness has gone into "remission," but that's about it.

Even though I haven't had any symptoms of any form of psoriasis for 18 months or so, I do not, nor will I ever consider myself "CURED."
I think of Psoriasis as the name of that evil lttle lecherous demon sitting off in the corner in the shadows. I am still taking measures to keep him there.
To concur illness, a change of attitude is often necessary.

Offline PaulBeck

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday December 20, 2005, 04:21:57 PM »
Hi All...
I'm glad to see this link come to the forefront again.  Since I finally got around to catching up on reading AND reorganizing my links, here are a few others mentioned by Nick, peterb, gary and forgive me I forgot to mention you.  Between these five, you've got most of your bases covered if trying to dodge the dodgers.

www.psorsite.com

www.flakehq.com

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/quackweb.html

http://archive.uwcm.ac.uk/uwcm/dm/dermlink.html

Be Well!
K
Of all species on Earth, only humans are arrogant enough to believe they can actually OWN something.

Offline ITMatt

• Registered member
« Reply #13 on: Sunday March 26, 2006, 09:20:24 PM »
Thanks for the links - it's nice to no longer be alone.
Stigmatised and treated like lepers, by people who wrongly thought they could catch the disease from them.