Author Topic: Frequently Asked Questions.....  (Read 52671 times)

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
Frequently Asked Questions.....
« on: Wednesday September 18, 2002, 08:40:15 PM »
To any new or existing members we thought it might be of benefit to open a F.A.Q. Thread.

As we come across questions that seems to keep being asked by members we will log them on here in the hope that it might help.

Rest assured, it doesn't mean that we are not happy to try to answer any new questions ;) So keep them coming - we'll always do our best to give you prompt and relevant replies ;)

Cheers

Nick
« Last Edit: Thursday January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by 1047168000 »

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
Abbreviations
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday September 18, 2002, 08:44:21 PM »
I noticed that you seem to use abbreviations like "P". What does it stand for?

Yes, we do tend to abbreviate some words more than others. Here are a few examples:

A = Acne
P = Psoriasis
PA = Psoriatic Arthritis
E = Eczema
HS = Hidradenitis Suppurativa

« Last Edit: Sunday July 06, 2003, 10:14:16 AM by Nick »

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
Registration
« Reply #2 on: Friday November 22, 2002, 01:57:36 PM »
Do I have to registered to type in a message ?
If so, how much does it cost ?

Guests are asked to register before being able to post to prevent trolling or flaming of the forum.

Registration is totally free and takes only a few seconds to complete.
During registration you will be asked to agree to the normal terms of the forum.

You will be asked to provide only 2 things;
1. A username of your choice (this can be a real name or nickname)
2. A valid e-mail address so we can send your personal password to you to complete the process. Your e-mail address can be kept hidden from public view by selecting the option in

We do not require or record any personal or medical information
 about you and refuse to release any information about you without either your written permission or an order from a court of law.
« Last Edit: Sunday July 06, 2003, 10:15:00 AM by Nick »

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
SkinCell Front Pages
« Reply #3 on: Monday December 16, 2002, 01:46:57 PM »
How do I get to the home page?  I've clicked but I get the forum

The front page that many new members will first see can be found by clicking on at the top of the page.
« Last Edit: Sunday July 06, 2003, 10:15:27 AM by Nick »

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
How to ...... Add your own picture
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday February 11, 2003, 12:38:29 AM »
Some members have their own pictures in their profiles (my example on your left)

To insert your own picture do the following:

Click on [Profile] on the top menu to enter into your front profile screen.

This opens your profile screen. Scroll down and click on Forum Profile Information

From there you can either upload a picture to the server using I will upload my own picture:
or you can link to a picture on a different server using I have my own pic: and entering the relevant web address for the pic.

Once you have done either of those options remeber to click [Change Profile] at the bottom of the screen

You will then be able to see that picture you have entered.

« Last Edit: Wednesday June 22, 2005, 01:03:29 PM by Nick »

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
Icons
« Reply #5 on: Monday March 10, 2003, 11:37:41 AM »
Where is a legend that tells us what each little icon means??

Good point.

- ICQ available Add this member to your own ICQ list of contacts

View a members profile.

View members own web page

Send this member an E-Mail

Send this member an Instant Message

More to follow ;)
« Last Edit: Sunday July 06, 2003, 10:15:50 AM by Nick »

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
How do I insert an image in my messages?
« Reply #6 on: Sunday July 06, 2003, 10:24:28 AM »
For this you will use

and a web address for the picture you want to show.

Example

I have a web address of a picture which is

http://www.skincell.org/images/skincell.gif

Step 1.  Click on the

You will then see the following on the screen
Code: [Select]
[img][/img]

Step 2.    In order to show your selected image you then need to type or paste the web address BETWEEN the tags ... like this

[img]http://www.skincell.org/yabbse/YaBBImages/img.gif[/img]

Then when you preview or post the thread it will appear as

Celery Peach

Re:Frequently Asked Questions.....
« Reply #7 on: Sunday July 06, 2003, 10:35:34 AM »
 :hi: Can I just add Nick, from my 'dim' prospectus  ??? That the web address is sometimes called the URL. If you left ??? right click on the picture, choose 'properties' then highlight and copy the URL, then you can do the sandwich thing with it. Sorry if this insults anyones intelligence, but YES I needed to be told in that much detail  ??? ???
« Last Edit: Sunday July 06, 2003, 10:39:14 AM by Celery Peach »

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
How many posts do I need ? ?
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday September 24, 2003, 06:21:15 AM »
Each member can qualify for more senior status as they post more messages.
The number of posts for each category is

50# Posts to become "Junior Member" 
100# Posts to become "Full Member" 
200# Posts to become "Senior Member" 
500# Posts to become "God Member" 
1000# Posts to become "Grand Member"
« Last Edit: Saturday November 17, 2007, 01:17:59 PM by Matt C »

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
Why do email addresses get removed?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday October 26, 2003, 06:56:55 AM »
Why do email addresses get removed?

Quite simply there are three reasons.

1. Information exchange through the forum. If we were all to send emails to each other about our skin disorders then there would be no need for an open forum in the first place and information, hints and tips would never get shared with the other members.
2. To prevent profit making companies from profiting from the members by using their email addresses as a shop window for attracting business. We do not allow blatant free advertising for companies selling their creams, potions, books and so on.
3. Spam Email Robots are continually scrolling through the internet looking for email addresses to pick up and sell. Guests (which includes search engine spiders, spam email robots and regular surfers) cannot see email addresses in profiles and so our email addresses are protected. By posting an email address on the forum they will get the attention of span email robots which will then scroll through the whole of the forum messages looking for other email addresses to send spam or viruses to.
I attempt to filter out and exclude these robots but is an never ending task.

Protect your email addresses, please do not post them on the forum. Any email addresses may be removed by a moderator from a message, please use your profile options menu to show your email address to members should you wish to do so.

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
When should I use the "Quote" option ?
« Reply #10 on: Monday October 27, 2003, 12:20:50 PM »
This is down to personal preference.

The Quote option using the can be used when you are looking address a single member in a long topic where other members are also posting messages.

By clicking on the button the forum will automatically copy the message you are quoting and then take you to the normal "Reply" facility where you can type in your response of comments.

Please remember that it is possible to reduce the block of quoted text to the part that you are actually replying to, this helps to clarify what you are replying to. Quoting the whole message tends to make the thread much longer and more difficult to read as it no longer evolves in a storyboard but becomes filled with duplicated messages.

Please try to quote the relevant section of a previous message, it helps to make it clear what you are saying.

Examples.

A poor use of QUOTE.

For this you will use

and a web address for the picture you want to show.

Example

I have a web address of a picture which is

http://www.skincell.org/images/skincell.gif

Step 1.  Click on the

You will then see the following on the screen
[img][/img]

Step 2.    In order to show your selected image you then need to type or paste the web address BETWEEN the tags ... like this

[img]http://www.skincell.org/yabbse/YaBBImages/img.gif[/img]

Then when you preview or post the thread it will appear as

Should I do that with all of them individually ?

That example doesn't make much sense. It's hard to tell what the question is trying to ask.

Here's a better example

Should I do that with all of them individually ?

Now you hopefully will see that the question (in blue) is much more specific by narrowing down the part of the quote that you want to concentrate on.

Offline kneecapper

• Registered member
  • Grand One Liner
  • Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday October 29, 2003, 01:02:02 AM »
Nick,

can you set out the steps to make when making a multiple reply in one post. This is something that is causing difficulty for me in this forum. For instance if i am responding to your answers on the Bible questions, and I want to quote one portion at a time, I am not familiar enough with the steps necessary to come up with a neat response that will higlight what you are saying and then give my response. I hope that I am making sense.

Maggie
Laughter is the best medicine

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
How to get more smilies
« Reply #12 on: Sunday December 07, 2003, 10:15:13 PM »
When reading a topic that you wish to reply to, click on the button, then look to the left of the large message box for the :hi: smiley, underneath him you will see the words View All Smilies click on that text and the whole Display Team will appear for you . Click on a smiley image and it will appear in the text in the big box :)

Alongside each member of the smiley display team you will also see code.
If this code is typed in to any part of the forum the code will automatically get translated into the related smiley when the message is submitted.

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
How to add attachments
« Reply #13 on: Friday February 27, 2004, 09:58:57 AM »
When you click on the button you will see underneath the main text area a box with the heading
Attach:
Alongside that heading is an empty text field and a browse button.
By clicking on the "Browse" button you will open a file window on your PC. Use the file window to navigate to the file (eg image, text file, sound or video etc) that you want to upload to the forum.
Select the file you want by clicking on it and then clicking on "Open"

The forum will then add the file pathway to the text box eg
C:\My Documents\Pictures\funny.gif

When you click on the "post" button to add your post to the thread the forum will then upload and attach the required file and make it a part of that posted message.
The facility will not work though if you try to "preview" the message. It needs to be a straight "post".

Please remember.
The file must have a file extension of txt,jpg,jpeg,gif,pdf,mpg,png,wav
and also be less that 100KB in size.
Attachments are not held indefinitely, they will be removed after approximately 6 months as the facility is not designed to be an archive.
« Last Edit: Sunday February 29, 2004, 06:06:37 PM by Nick »

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday March 17, 2004, 09:12:00 AM »
Hiya Hvns

To access Instant Messages look up to the top of the Page where you will see:

Good Morning hvnsangels03, you have XX messages , 0 are new.  

OK, click on the part of the text that says  XX messages , 0 are new and it will take you in to the Instant Message system :up:

A Yabbc tag is what appears when you start a topic or use the button to respond to a topic.
Yabbc tags are the text, format and effect buttons.
eg:

Photo albums we have :up:
Please click on on the top menu and you will be taken to the Coppermine Gallery for the forum, including skin pics, get togethers and Members own albums where you are welcome to upload pics to your own album is you want to :up:

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
Adding an album in the Gallery
« Reply #15 on: Monday May 03, 2004, 08:10:27 AM »
How to go about adding your own personal album in the Gallery.

1) Go to Pics on the top menu , it opens the pics area in a new window
2) Click on Create/Order my albums at the top
3) A new window appears.  Click on New and you will see in the box above the word New appear.
4) In the dialog box (text box) type the name you want the album to be called.  It will change the album name in the list automatically
5) At the bottom it says Apply Modifications.  A confirmation box appears, if all is well, click OK

6) The screen changes, it says Album Manager.  Click continue
7) you are now back on the main screen.  Above the albums, there is a tab saying _at_.  Hover over it with your mouse, and 4 options appear.  Click on Upload picture

8 ) A screen looking like a nicer version of this below appears:

Upload picture
Maximum allowed file size is 250kb

Album                                                      (whatever you called your album)
Picture                                                     (a box is here which will contain the pic name) |Browse|
Picture Title                                              (this is where you will enter a title)
Picture Description                                  (self explanatory)
Keywords                                                 (eg "Eczema"- This will allow browsers to use the SEARCH facility and instantly see your pic on the search results)

Click on the Browse, next to the Picture dialog box.  A new box appears allowing you to find the pic you want to add.  When you find it, click on it and click OK at the bottom of this box.  The 'Browse' box disappears, and the title of the pic is now where the blank box by Picture was
9) Type a title in the dialog box for Picture Title.  This is what will appear directly under the Picture.
10) If you want, add a description below this in the Picture Description area
11) Click on Upload Picture below to paste the picture!

With any luck you should find that the album now contains the Pic you have selected :up:

Many thanks to Guzzi for providing this FAQ

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
Re: Frequently Asked Questions.....
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday October 05, 2004, 06:00:24 AM »
Can someone plse help me with this. I would like to enter events onto the calendar but am a bit unsure. After clicking on the required date, it says about sections it will be posted in..eg..Social etc... well i dont want it appearing in Social but just the calendar. Am i getting completely curfuddled by all this and can anyone help me out?

The calendar is part of the default package in the forum so it works on the idea that any entry of an event must tie in with and link to a thread on the boards itself.

You should be able to create an event in the calendar and a new thread at the same time :up:
« Last Edit: Saturday November 17, 2007, 01:07:59 PM by Matt C »

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
E-mail address in your profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday November 12, 2007, 07:18:36 AM »
Help....

I've selected the "Hide e-mail address" option in my profile, but it's still there.... Why??

In your profile there is a "Hide e-mail address" option.

This option allows you to hide your e-mail address from the general forum membership.

The option does not hide your e-mail address from yourself, as you would then be unable to check it or change it.
« Last Edit: Saturday November 17, 2007, 01:12:50 PM by Matt C »
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
Changing your password
« Reply #18 on: Saturday November 17, 2007, 01:15:46 PM »
This is a great site and thanks.  Can you expane how to change your password and where in the world is this website from, I'm guessing England?

The forum is based in England, somewhere.

To change a password, you need to go to the "Account related settings" page of your profile. On this page, there are three boxes, two for your new password, and one for your existing password. You need to fill in all three to change your password.
« Last Edit: Sunday December 02, 2007, 10:28:08 AM by Matt C »
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
Pictures in your signature
« Reply #19 on: Saturday November 17, 2007, 01:22:18 PM »
How do you put a picture in your sig? What is the code?

*thankies* xx

Copy the URL reference for the image between img tags, as follows:

[img]http://www.anydomain.com/images/mine/mysigpic.jpg[/img]
Place the complete line into your signature, and voila!

For more info on the tags, see http://www.skincell.org/community/index.php/topic,584.msg33657.html#msg33657

:)
« Last Edit: Sunday December 02, 2007, 10:28:40 AM by Matt C »