Author Topic: Itchy flaky scalp, not just dandriff  (Read 4764 times)

Offline lykmuse

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
Itchy flaky scalp, not just dandriff
« on: Monday November 24, 2003, 08:57:42 PM »
I have been suffering with a very, very dry itchy scalp and head for over a year now.  It is not just dandriff either. I have very large flakes that if I scratch long enough I can get big chunks to come off. I hope no one was eating... sorry for the graphics.....   It used to affect the back of my head near the nape of the neck and both sides of my head and now it only affects one side of my head and behind my ears and on one side of my nose.  The skin just flakes there. I can scrape it and most of it will come off but then it come right back again. I have been using T-Gel shampoo, head and shoulders, and selenium sulfide shampoo.  I have tried hydrocortison cream both 1% and 2% and Tea Tree Oil.  I am at my whits end. Any suggestions would be great.

Offline GuzziHeroV50

• SkinCell Hero
  • Gas Guzzler
Re:Itchy flaky scalp, not just dandriff
« Reply #1 on: Monday November 24, 2003, 09:01:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum, lukmuse!

There are many things this could be, including what I suffer with, Seborrhoic Dermatitis.  If you rub in one place hard enough, does it become painful and raw?  

I found that anti-dandruff shampoos made me worse, when I wash with them, I can feel my scalp stinging and burning.  If this is the case, please stop using them immediately!  Try Simple shampoo (with as few additives as possible) and speak to your doctor about seeing a dermatologist.

peterb

« Reply #2 on: Monday November 24, 2003, 09:13:08 PM »
 :hi: lykmuse

A warm welcome to the forum.  I agree with Guz, your first call should be your GP to get a diagnosis, it could be one of several conditions.  Once you know the name, we have people here who can offer quality advice. :)

Offline Fishs

• Registered member
  • GasBag - P.I.
  • The Voice Of Reason ...
    • Fish's web Site
« Reply #3 on: Monday November 24, 2003, 09:20:26 PM »
 :hi:

Hi There  Lykmuse

Welcome along to the forum

Fish
If it's going to be  It's up to me ..

Gobe

« Reply #4 on: Monday November 24, 2003, 09:40:27 PM »
 :hi:

Welcome to Skincell Lykmuse!

:)

Offline lurker

• SkinCell Grand
  • Shadow
  • Lurking SkinCell Member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday November 25, 2003, 04:27:30 AM »
 :hi: lykmuse,

It sure does sound like either you are using the wrong shampoos or you have a case of seb derm, but please get along to the doctors/dermatologists and see what they say about it.

Welcome to SkinCell!  May you find help and heart here.

- lurker

Offline Andy50

• SkinCell Grand
  • Angler
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday November 25, 2003, 08:17:41 PM »
Hi lykmuse :hi:
I suffer from seborrheoic dermatitis which as Guzzi says affects the scalp,sounds like you have used a few treatments without success so i go with the guys in that you should get a referall to your Dermatologist who`ll be able to diagnose your particular condition and start the right treatment.
Let the heart rest
Lay back your head
You were good in your time
And we thank you
                           Morrissey

Offline LobsterMagnet

• Registered member
  • Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #7 on: Friday December 05, 2003, 08:20:18 AM »
I have a similar problem. I have white, bumpy patches on my scalp. They are very itchy and flaky. If I point my head at the floor and shake my head, I can produce my own snowstorm. I can pick the chunks off but it leaves my scalp red and sore.  I also get pitted fingernails. They gradually become more pitted and thick.  After a few months, they get better. I wonder if pitted fingernails are related to the scalp problem.

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #8 on: Friday December 05, 2003, 09:49:13 AM »
Hi there Lobster and Lykmuse  :hi:

Welcome to SkinCell.

Mild/moderate scalp psoriasis can often be mistaken for bad dandruff. It might be worth checking the other common areas of the boddy for psoriasis, ie the elbows and the knees. Look for flakey skin on those areas :up:

Specifically to Lobster, one of the key indications of Psoriasis is that finger nails can become pitted or become distorted ( looking a bit like the nail has grown too thick in some areas?)
Regardless of what it is, don't worry, you are not alone :hugs: