Author Topic: The PPP Chronicle - Diet or Drugs or Both?  (Read 639631 times)

Offline PaulBeck

• Registered SkinCell Member
Re: The PPP Chronicle - Diet or Drugs or Both?
« Reply #20 on: Monday December 01, 2003, 03:45:23 AM »
Hey fishs...
Happy to hear your comments.  I'll pay attention again on Wednesday.  I've got a couple of grueling days coming up and I pretty much got caught up here tonight all in one shot.
Briefly though...
REGARDING DIET...
The only thing I've avoided in my diet, in the recent past, was stuff in the nightshade family; tomatoes, potatoes, etc.  But... once I read the evidence that there is no genetic commonality between PPP and Psoriasis, I ceased avoiding those foods.  I did chart dietary changes in the past and have NEVER identified a trigger.
REGARDING CARBON BLOCK FILTERING...
I use this on my home tap only because we've got a grossly OVER-chlorinated water supply here, living near Lake Winnipesaukee.  I don't believe distilled water has ANY trace mineral content left in it.  Correct me if I'm wrong, kind sir.  And... ordinarily I'm trying to RE-INTRODUCE into my body and diet ALL of the components that have been ELIMINATED in our modern diet, but were consumed by our ancestors.  Not just the ancient ancestors, but more specifically the generations of the recent past, just before the Industrial Revolution.  There is ample evidence that suggests that this time frame was the turning point in our health, both GOOD and BAD.  Medical science began identifying and labelling previously unnamed conditions.  And 'modern science' started figuring out BRILLIANT ( that's sarcasm, not emphasis ) ways to make things BETTER for us!  Like by inventing MARGARINE to replace butter.  DUH !
REGARDING THE B VITAMIN MEGADOSE...
I only started doing this IN RESPONSE to the disease, not prior.  Hmm...  maybe, in view of your comment, this deserves further examination.  My wife, being a Registered Nurse, would be a good source of info on this, and she has access to some excellent, quality information.  I'll get back to you on that one.
G'nite All!
K
« Last Edit: Wednesday March 10, 2004, 03:51:44 AM by PaulBeck »
Of all species on Earth, only humans are arrogant enough to believe they can actually OWN something.

Celery Peach

« Reply #21 on: Monday December 01, 2003, 11:13:51 AM »
 :hi: Paul

Really interesting read there  :) Phew, that does seem a lot of suppliments, but you appear to have done your research well. I cant help feeling, a change in diet as Fish suggests might be worth looking into.

Regarding breads...
I'm UNEQUIVOCALLY convinced that pasta, bread and over-consumption of grains in general is the single most cause of ill health in society today.  Because of the newly 'accepted' USDA Food Pyramid which lists all the carbohydrate CRAP as the base, the U.S. has become a society of fat, sick people.  Dr. Barry Sears sees it, Dr. Atkins saw it, and the list goes on and on.  It seems nothing more than common sense to me.  Why is it after that HUGE meal of lasagna or other pasta you want to do nothing more than TAKE A NAP?  You don't need to be a rocket scientist to realize that the body is trying to say, "HEY!  Whoah there!  I can't possibly keep you awake when I need all available resources to process all this crap!"  That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!  With the exception of OATMEAL for breakfast, and a rare treat of one slice of 12-grain toast with my omelet... NO GRAINS.  Once in a blue moon, a nice serving of brown rice.

I do agree with you generally on this one. Bread is served at just about every meal in some form or another these days. I do think many of us eat far too many grains. I always saw Pasta & rice tho as beneficial carbohydrates, if eaten in moderate portions.

:hugs: Paul, those feet look sore  :(  :hugs:

Offline PaulBeck

« Reply #22 on: Monday December 01, 2003, 03:03:09 PM »
I appreciate you taking the time to read the journal CP.
Regarding diet, in general...
I've maintained a healthful diet for about 12 years now.  I've always limited sweets and garbage carbs, and of late have restricted them even further, to practically zero.

My daily diet is just about the same each day:

Breakfast:  Oatmeal, usually plain sometimes with a tiny bit of maple syrup and some almonds.  If I'm in too much a hurry - a Zone Perfect bar.

Midday Break:  A protein shake with goat protein powder added.  Usually Herbalife.

Lunch:  A small caesar salad with about 4 ounces of chicken breast.  Salad dressing is equal portions of flax seed and olive oils.

Supper:  A few nibbles of healthy things - veggies, nuts, bits of fruit - unless I'm still hungry.  In that event I'll eat a Zone Perfect bar.

That's about it;  ~ 650 -1100 calories a day.

I've always eaten a front-end loaded diet, tapering off to nothing as the day wears on.  I feel FANTASTIC EVERY DAY ( except for the PPP ) and never have had a weight problem.  I watch too many people around me sitting in front of the TV or computer munching carbs all night long and wondering why they are now roughly the size of the Goodyear Blimp.  I've just never been so inclined and thankful for it.

Later!
K
Of all species on Earth, only humans are arrogant enough to believe they can actually OWN something.

Offline PaulBeck

« Reply #23 on: Monday December 01, 2003, 03:06:54 PM »
CP!
P.S.  What diet change that Fish suggests?

Oh... also of note regarding sugar and carbs... these foods are exactly what the bad bacteria in our guts thrive on and proliferate out of control.  It's fairly easy to detect when you've rid your body of putrifying bacteria.  And when your gut is working better, you automatically begin to feel better.

K

Celery Peach

« Reply #24 on: Monday December 01, 2003, 05:04:04 PM »
 :hi: Paul

Sorry re-reading my post, I must expect you to mind read  :-[...what I meant about Fishs suggestion

Paul .. I wonder if you have done a notebook term study here re your diet and gauged any significant difference in your condition by eliminating certain groups etc of your daily diet intake ?

I assumed that would mean going back to a very simple diet, and slowly introducing foods one at a time, so as to see if anything particular is effecting you. But I see that you have allready done that from your next post.

We all have different ideas about what a 'healthy' diet is, as you say, Atkins is very popular right now, but it has had bad press too. I agree with you as far as your diet goes, sounds good n healthy & natural, but I think that is way too less calories for a guy.

Yes, you know I take probiotics in an attempt to help my gut, and yes it makes you feel generally better all round when your gut bacteria is balanced.

I think its great you can control your diet so well ! knowing what a healthy diet is and eating one are two different things tho, alas, I'm afraid right now my willpower is lacking, I am a computer carb sloathe  ;)  :lol:

Offline Fishs

• Registered member
  • GasBag - P.I.
  • The Voice Of Reason ...
    • Fish's web Site
« Reply #25 on: Monday December 01, 2003, 06:36:29 PM »
 :hi:

:up:

Celery, Your assumption is correct ..

In my opinion you are also correct re grains comment in your earlier post..

I am in favour of a healthy diet of all foos groups with the emphasis on fresh foods foods accross the range ie meats fruit and vegetables etc with less emphasis on the condiments and sauces . and as less intake of foods re preservatives and colourings additives etc.

Smaller portions  and say 5 smaller meals each day instead of 3  .  The key is to keep a flow of energy intake comensurate with energy burn. I am in favour of natural fresh foods rather that  supplimenting with any vitamin/ mineral intake etc .

This atkins diet .mmm  It is as you say . the current fad ..

I think it has serious flaws .. . My opinion again .. It is not balanced accross all food groups..

Fish
If it's going to be  It's up to me ..

Offline PaulBeck

« Reply #26 on: Monday December 01, 2003, 06:43:47 PM »
Ah ha!  Now I'm with you.
Yes, yes, yes!  A diet logsheet helps enormously if you're trying to cue in on triggers.  Unfortunately for me, nothing revealed itself as a possible trigger.  The beauty of the simplicity of my diet is that I CAN cheat on rare occasions without suffering.  The only problem with my limited intake is when the holidays or other special events come around.  I want to consume much more - just to be downright evil!  But after years of eating small it becomes quite painful to be too stuffed.

Please don't misunderstand my reference to 'Goodyear Blimp'.  I take no issue with anybody's BODY TYPE.  I've no interest in the package that people come in; only in what's inside that package.  MY wife who was all of 100 pounds when I married her is more than double that weight now.  The only thing that troubles me about it is that I'm afraid she'll overtax her heart.  I hope not, and she's starting to work on her weight and has joined a wellness center where she can work out and be monitored.

Here's a fairly painless lesson I've learned along the way, for what it's worth.  Quite often - in fact, the majority of the time - when we THINK we're hungry, we're ACTUALLY THIRSTY.  I found that if I keep a liter of water nearby at all times, and sip when I think I'm hungry the desire goes away!  After about 3 months your reaction changes and you're more easily able to distinguish when you're actually hungry.  For me, that is RARELY.  Maybe once a month I have a ravenous appetite.  Even then, I start sucking down the water until the desire passes.  Try it.  I has worked well for many.

Later!
K

Offline PaulBeck

« Reply #27 on: Monday December 01, 2003, 10:48:24 PM »
*****   DIET CLARIFICATION   *****
I don't advocate or practice the Atkins approach.  I lean more toward a modified macrobiotic style.   I get plenty of carbs in the correct balance with Herbalife/Goatein milk, water or juice shakes and from the Zone Perfect bars.
Ordinarily, I don't advocate or practice vitamin megadosing either.  It's quite dangerous to megadose on certain vitamins, and quite safe to megadose on others.  One should seek medical advise and do rigorous research before reaching any decisions regarding this.
Since our worldwide food supply is DEMONSTRABLY lacking in the nutritional value IT ONCE HAD, I DO ADVOCATE AND PRACTICE ameliorating the nutrient deficiency with a single multivitamin.  If you have an imbalance that requires MORE of something in particular, that is another area that should be researched and discussed with one's doctor.
The vast majority of 'nutritional supplements' I take are bacterium, homeostatic soil organisms, whole food products, so-called 'super foods' and unprocessed products.  In other words, you COULD actually live quite well on the supplements themselves if you really had to.  This cannot be said of a variety of other products.
My premise or theory is simple:  There MUST exist a combination of molecules for me that would be the equivalent of LORENZO'S OIL FOR PPP.  That is what I seek, and I can't help but feel that if we turn back the clock - not all that far - we don't see disease in people with the prevalence we see now.  Not because it wasn't identified, but because IT DIDN'T EXIST!  REALLY!  Think about it.  The gastric distress OTC patent medicine market = BILLIONS OF DOLLARS!  I NEVER HAVE GASTRIC DISTRESS - unless I do something foolish and EAT A DONUT!  Most overconsumption of grains and sugars has become utter poison to me since I started eating right.  Our ancestors didn't spend much time on grains or sugar - virtually NONE.  They ate proteins and fats.  That's good enough for me.
It's also well documented in the literature that people who eat much less food - animals as well - LIVE LONGER!  Likely because the body learns to utilize the energy in very efficient ways.
Since I sit in front of a computer most of the time, I DON'T NEED anything beyond several hundred calories.  Certainly NOWHERE NEAR the USDA recommended 2000 calories!  And they way we get everything GIANT-SIZED today, too many people like me are eating more on the order of 4000 calories a day.  It doesn't take much to reach that number either.
I may have mentioned that my predecessor in one of my previous IT positions acheived a stunning weight of over 400 lbs by the time he was 28 years old.  No thanks.  I'd rather get hit by a bus.
I, like many - if not ALL - of us here am seeking answers and relief.
My feet hurt so bad at times I would swallow ALMOST ANYTHING to cure it.  When along comes somebody like Dr. Jordan Rubin with well documented research born of a will to live... well then... I'M LISTENING.
I have no issue with Herbalife products and got significant benefit from them.  But... in the end they had nothing that could help PPP so I eliminated them after 3+ years of dedicated use, simply to reduce variables.
All comments, arguments and VIGOROUS DISCUSSION are always most welcome!  And thank you for your input.
Later!
K

Offline PaulBeck

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday December 02, 2003, 01:12:36 AM »
*****   PHOTOS OF MY FEET 2003-10-16  PART I   *****
Here is the left foot taken about a week after the first set, showing the aftermath of a pretty bad cycle.

[attachment deleted ~ Routine maintenance]

Offline PaulBeck

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday December 02, 2003, 01:13:28 AM »
*****  PHOTOS OF MY FEET 2003-10-16 PART II  *****
And now, the right foot.

[attachment deleted ~ Routine maintenance]

Offline PaulBeck

« Reply #30 on: Tuesday December 02, 2003, 02:02:38 AM »
*****   OTHER NOTEWORTHY EFFECTS OF MY REGIMEN   *****
I emphasize 'improved' only because I've been eating well for a long, long time. In case you've missed it (sorry... I know I've been writing at length.  I'll try to be more economical - really  ;) )  I switched from a predominance of Herbalife products to Garden of Life products about 2003-10-15.  My primary reason was that I could not find an Herbalife product based on probiotic blends and Garden of Life is the only supplier I've found thus far that has HSO's ( Homeostatic Soil Organisms ).  The final decision was made when I realized that I was beating my head against the wall trying to obtain the Miya-BM probiotic from Japan.  I have not given up this pursuit, but as the photos will attest I couldn't wait much longer as my PPP got worse.  I started taking two of the GoL products that I had purchased from my local natural food store; Primal Defense and RM-10.  I was impressed with the way they energized me, much the way Herbalife had when I first started taking it.
After reading much of Dr. Rubin's propaganda and perusing his book, I decided to try the entire protocol suggested for immune system imbalance.  So I ordered an ample supply of products and fleshed out the rest of the stuff I needed for the complete protocol.  Even at the attractive prices offered at iHerb.com, it's still a fairly costly regimen.  Then again... I'd give up a large part of my 'kingdom' to walk free from suffering.  Having committed myself to the full barrage, I've noticed a few other things that impress me:
VISION IMPROVEMENT:
Colors are more saturated and contrast is better.  Visual acuity has improved.  My slight astigmatism has NOT.
ENERGY:
Already mentioned above, this is even more noteworthy as it seems to continuously improve, being better almost every day.  Yet, sleep comes more easily and is more restful than before.  I've never slept for long periods - 4 to 5 hours a night - to begin with.  But I'd usually go to bed pretty beat.  By comparison, I arose at 5:30 a.m. today, punched into work at 7:45 a.m. and left at 7:02 p.m.  It was a very hectic day gathering together end of month data for everybody, preparing for an all day certification meeting tomorrow and filling in chores of those absent from work today.  It's now 9:35 p.m. as I write this, and even though I'll have to be up at 4:00 a.m. for a 3 hour road trip to the meeting, I'm not the least bit tired or concerned that I'll have sufficient rest.  At 52 years old, that's a GREAT way to feel!
URINE FLOW:
Another function of age that is of concern to males is BPH - Benign Prostate Hypertrophy (or Hyperplasia; same thing ).  This can cause delayed urination, a sense of urgency even when retaining only a small amount of urine in the bladder and because the prostate is enlarged, a narrower urine stream.  While I HAVE NOT NOTICEABLY suffered any problems with my plumbing, I DEFINITELY noticed since taking the new supplements that my urine stream is much larger, it comes without delay, and there is no sense of still having urine retained when I'm finished voiding.  Hmm... somethin' good is goin' on down there, for sure!  :)
EVEN MORE ACUTE MENTAL CLARITY:
Another benefit from the Herbalife was a definite improvement in mental clarity.  That is even MORE ACUTE with the GoL supps.  I've always had to focus because of the minutea involved in highly structured and detailed work.  But recently I've noticed that I can multitask much better than before and return to my original priorities without a sense of impending doom as though I'm buried once again and each return is like starting all over from beginning.
FINGERNAILS:
My nails have been prone to splitting into layers for many years.  I keep the ones on my right hand fairly long so I can pick and pluck the guitar strings.  Quite problem when one breaks.  I haven't had a single instance of this occur lately.  My toenails were starting to crumble a bit at the ends.  I attributed this to the steroid use and a possibility of secondary fungal infection; a common side effect of steroid use, I understand.
Because of these and a number of other factors that I'll detail as I go, I feel that I'm getting VERY CLOSE to the right combination of ingredients that my body has been lacking.  I agree wholeheartedly with peterb and others that one MUST eat a balanced diet and it definitely makes more sense to eat lots of small meals rather than 3 BIG ones.  My only divergence is the carbo thing.  Too many carbs, regardless of the source, just doesn't make any sense to me.  And... I can't remember the last time I ate a meal that put me to sleep as does a grilled sandwich or pasta.  Individually, once you start to rebuild the way you eat, you'll begin to quickly recognize which foods have value and which ones overtax your system.
If this line of 'reason' holds true, I can only hope and imagine that a time will come when the PPP resolves because I've re-educated my immune system with quality foodstuffs.  Surely if I'm already experiencing other physical effects for the good, then that day will come.  I'll continue to cherish that thought.
Later!
K

Offline PaulBeck

« Reply #31 on: Thursday December 04, 2003, 06:00:54 PM »
*****   OTHER USEFUL LIFESTYLE CHANGES FOR COPING/IMPROVMENT   *****
DEODORANT WITHOUT ALUMINUM
Consider using a deodorant with as little poison in it as possible.  Many problems have linked to absorbing aluminum.  There are lots of safer alternative deodorants out there.
STEEL OR IRON COOK WARE
Since aluminum and various plastics are potential sources of body-unfriendly compounds, I switched back to the cast iron and stainless steel cookware of my youth and early adulthood.  Cast iron is particularly terrific, but neither SS or cast iron can impart any harmful substances when cooking.
CONSIDER LIMITING OR ELIMINATING COOKED FOODS ENTIRELY
I HAVEN'T gone to this extreme myself, but there are a number of folks who swear by exclusively RAW FOOD DIETS and this regimen is also used by detoxification clinics.
DETOX OR DIE?
To reiterate - the views, with thanks to the overseers of this board - expressed in the PPP Chronicle, are mine and mine alone.  Anything offered as a suggestion is just that and the specifics mentioned relate to my own personal struggle with disease.  I always suggest that you coordinate your exploration of therapies - both conventional and alternative - with a receptive physician who can provide sound counceling and support for the choices of treatment upon which you've agreed.
I believe I am getting very close to a personal solution for my particular problem - PPP.  There is evidence to support this statement that is growing daily.  The singular most enlightening thing I've read REPEATEDLY is that the skin is a direct reflection of the health of your gut.  READ THAT AGAIN!  It is the simplest but most profound statement regarding skin disease you'll ever read.
Because of this, EVERYTHING I  DO is geared to DETOXIFICATION in one form or another.  I'm presently working as you know on detox diet products, probiotics, soil organisms and other internals designed to purge the bowel of toxins and bad bacteria, to get my gut working in top notch form; the way it was designed.
I've gone through the detox 'illnesses' and expect to go through a few more.
The next stage of detox for me, will be to eliminate metals, dioxin and pcb's from my body to the most extreme percentages possible.
I'm convinced that once all of the 'poor diet' and environmental toxins are removed from my body, that I will have conquered the PPP and, as evidenced already by apparent reduced prostate size, any number of other potential afflictions.
More infor coming on:
"DETOX HELL... OR WAS THAT HEAVEN?"
"THE DARTMOUTH APPOINTMENT NEXT WEEK"
"ADDITIONS TO DETOXIFICATION DIET CHANGES"
Later!
Healthy Skin To All!
K

Offline Ami

• SkinCell Hero
  • Mother's Love
« Reply #32 on: Thursday December 04, 2003, 06:12:18 PM »
Hi Paul
Just read all some very intresting points. I myself have it on my feet but derm is still unsure about my hands which become swollen and red / white bumps.
I have special cushion skin plasters for my feet which come in large sheet(cut to size) I tend use more on  ball of my feet only occasional on my heels.

Offline Fishs

• Registered member
  • GasBag - P.I.
  • The Voice Of Reason ...
    • Fish's web Site
« Reply #33 on: Thursday December 04, 2003, 07:33:14 PM »

Interesting reading Paul..

I will come back to this one..

I need to re  read things a few times here ..

I will put some comments up later..

Fish
If it's going to be  It's up to me ..

Offline PaulBeck

« Reply #34 on: Friday December 05, 2003, 01:06:13 AM »
Ami & fishs...
Sorry the last installment was not checked for spelling or grammar.
I'd like to publicly thank Nick for making the PPP Chron a sticky topic and all other members for supporting the idea and reading the material.   :praise:
I AM DETERMINED TO BEAT THIS AFFLICTION!
( Somebody remind about Niacin detox protocol...    zzz )

Ami:
Tell me more about the special cushion shin plasters.  Are these anything like Dr. Scholl's Moleskin; a thick, downy soft adhesive cushion that you can cut to shape?  Does it provide comfort?

Fishs:
I'm flattered that you've taken the time to follow my story, especially in view of how busy the boards are at times.  Your comments, observations and constructive critique are welcome at all times.

You people kick ***!   :praise:
Later!
K

Offline SF

• SkinCell Grand
  • Femme Fatale
  • Former 008
« Reply #35 on: Friday December 05, 2003, 10:57:20 AM »
Hey Paul, I found your story to be very interesting and informative. The skin is definiely a higly mysterious organ, and it's baffling to read and find out so many issues that can arise. I'll definiely read more on PPP seeing that some symptoms seem to mirror what I have on my hands...

spellingflame :)
"The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease". Voltaire

Offline Ami

• SkinCell Hero
  • Mother's Love
« Reply #36 on: Friday December 05, 2003, 01:22:16 PM »
My more like plasters with soft padding  which u cut into shape. They do give me some relief.
« Last Edit: Friday December 05, 2003, 01:22:46 PM by ami »

Offline PaulBeck

« Reply #37 on: Friday December 05, 2003, 04:54:40 PM »
Hi Spellingflame!
PPP certainly CAN appear on the hands, and can be quite severe.  I've been fortunate enough to only have a very few pustules from time to time on palms, heel of hand and between fingers.  I haven't had any now for quite some time but I recall them just about always being in present in limited numbers.  I thought it was contact dermatitis as I've had several jobs in which I was exposed to chemicals and metals.
Scaling (plaques or plackets - same thing) is preceeded by small pustules that initially look like blisters.  If they are left alone and not popped, they eventually turn into small brown spots and as they rise to the surface peel off, callous-like.  This exposes the new pink skin, but that's where the similarity to a real callous ends.  Once this new skin is exposed, the cycle of pustule, peel and spread seems to begin.
Best wishes with your problem.  Have it had it competently diagnosed?  And take heart... the premise I'm working on is that seemingly inescapable tenet that the skin directly reflects the overall health of the gut.  If I prove this to be the case - for me at least - I will have uncovered the cure that I so desperately want.  Hopefully...
Stay Tuned!
Later!
K

Offline PaulBeck

« Reply #38 on: Friday December 05, 2003, 04:56:09 PM »
Hi Ami!
Thanks!  That sounds very similar to the Dr. Scholl's product sold here in the U.S.
Take care!
Later!
K

Celery Peach

« Reply #39 on: Friday December 05, 2003, 05:27:47 PM »

I can now see what you are saying about the carbs Paul, yes, it makes sense if you are very sedentry to not eat so many, as you say that you are getting 'some'. Ahh Macrobiotics, I know a tiny bit about that, probably outdated now, as I was trying it some 15 years ago, a very strict diet I remember, and quite over zealous with the short grain brown rice as the staple. Tho I note you said leaning towards. How do you feel about the cooking processes then ? As I remember with the Macrobiotics, nothing was to be eaten raw.

You mentioned the cast iron & SS which I am aware, another macrobiotic rule that stayed with me. The weight of those Iron pans  :o and the seasoning to stop the rust was a chore, I had a good set but I now prefer the stainless steel, cept for the Wok.

About the Detox, I wonder if you feel as I do about Red meat? i believe it is quite hard for our bodies to cope with in the amounts consumed these days, I always lean towards white meat. I was told years ago that red meat waste sits in the bowels for many years before being broken down. Excuse me if this is too personal but have you considered Colonic irrragation ?

Interesting Stuff Paul  :) ty