Author Topic: An update on me  (Read 889 times)

Offline Bri9801

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Barman
  • The Thin Blue Line
An update on me
« on: Wednesday August 05, 2020, 04:36:15 PM »
Hey guys, I dont come around these parts nearly as much as I should but this place was a godsend for me years ago so I wanted to share an update on where I am at.   This is the standard post I have been using on my social media accounts.

It's ok to not be ok.

It could be you, if you get anything from this post let it be that, it could be you. If you read this whole thing and think is a lie you are lying to yourself. I know this because I was you at one time, and now I am struggling.

Sometime between 2011 and 2104 I developed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder due to a crazy series of incidents in my life, problem was I didn't recognize it. At one point in 2013 I considered suicide, but the thought of who would walk my daughter down the aisle on her wedding day stopped me. Shortly after I met an amazing woman who saved me, she also happened to be a therapist who specialized in PTSD treatment but that isn’t how we met, and we were having lunch and she casually mentioned to sometime in 2015 “You have PTSD” and I was like not a chance. That night out of curiosity I looked up the symptoms and gasped and said “This is my life” With her help I was able to find an excellent therapist that I have been seeing regularly since then.

Fast forward to a few months ago, with everything that has been going on in the world I just felt overwhelmed. Called in sick to work a few days because I just couldn’t do it, thankfully they have been supportive. Been out of work a couple of weeks but thankfully I have a lot of sick time Talk to my therapist every couple of days. I have a great support system, but thankfully I recognized I was just wasn't me right now.

I am not looking for sympathy, I just want you to all to know that mental health is important and that its ok to not be ok. And it could be you

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
Re: An update on me
« Reply #1 on: Thursday August 06, 2020, 12:41:12 PM »
Oh, Bri!  I'm so glad you were able, first, to see the problem and, second, to get the help you needed!  I think it's often hard to recognize it when we're suffering from mental illness, partly because it's so insidious--it sneaks up on us.  The recovery road is a difficult one, but you sound good and I hope you continue to improve.

Stay well and safe.   :hugs:

totalfolly
"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline Bri9801

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Barman
  • The Thin Blue Line
« Reply #2 on: Thursday August 06, 2020, 08:58:35 PM »
Thank you TF

Offline Gobe

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Friday August 07, 2020, 09:23:12 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree that it is ok not be ok.  That was me once upon a time and many moons ago. Therapy changed my life.  It is good to be open and honest about mental health and especially right now during these very trying times.

Take good care of yourself.

:bighug:
Love inhabits the heart forever.