Author Topic: Miscellany  (Read 5796 times)

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
Re: Miscellany
« Reply #40 on: Sunday October 18, 2020, 05:32:02 AM »
The dew was all but gone.  From far. the church lawn looked like a smooth green blanket.  I waded in it, wanted to get down close.  I was glad I had put on my hand-me-down dungarees, rolled at the bottom like a cowboy, only I didn't have boots.  Just scuffed shoes with laces that didn't always want to be tied.  Big Brother laughs at me when I try.   "Watch me tie mine," he would always say.  Then he would go like a wirlwind, so fast I couldn't tell how to do it.  I'll just watch everyone else when they're doing it, without their even seeing me watch.  I'm good at that.  That's what I'll do.

I made a really squiggly path all over that big lawn.  Then I remembered, I had Mom's scissors!  I got down real close to the jungle.  All kinds and shapes of plants, not to mention crawly bugs.  Some of these grass plants just had to be good to eat!  I would be a Snipnibbler.  Snip.  Nibble.  Snip.  Nibble.  Snip.  Nibble.  Snip.  Ew.  Teensy points on that  leaf with milk coming out of the stem.  Didn't taste like milk to me!  Spit.  Spit.  Spit.

Soon I discovered a plant with three little round leaves on the stem and a little white bushy blossom atop the stem.  Together, they tasted quite nice.  I was stuffing them in my mouth as fast as I could.  I had discovered a vegtable I liked!  Only the mouthful wouldn't get chewed.  So I just kept on chewing.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
Re: Miscellany
« Reply #41 on: Saturday November 21, 2020, 03:45:47 AM »
Soon later, still chewing on my greens and blossoms, I saw Big Sister with several of her laughing girlfriends, on the cinder road between the church and our backyard Victory Garden, which, far as I could tell, had never produced any food except contorted puny carrots, cabbages the bugs had sense enough to ignore, and corn twice as tall as me.  But when I stripped the husks and silk, worms of some kind had made it pretty disgusting to see.  But I was far away.  What I was eating was better anyway, and pretty close to being chewed.  Big Sister hadn't seen me hunkered down in the tall lawn.  I was still as a cat, contentedly chewing.  They were getting closer.  I wished I hadn't stuffed my mouth so full.

Then, one of her girlfriends saw me!  Chewchewchewchewchew.  "Sandy!  What are you doing over there?  What's in your mouth?"  Chewchewchew.  She was now charging like a rhinoceros, leaving the other girls way behind.  I jumped up and ran, still chewing as fast as I could.  She wasn't a rhino any more.  She was a hawk or an owl, sinking her talons into my arms.  I went down chewing.  "What is it!  Spit it out now!"  She was a little breathless.  Her points dug in as she rolled me over.  We were eye to eye.  She looked mad enough to bite my nose off.  Her girlfriends were all laughing at this unexpected action, and it didn't feel like they were laughing at me, somehow.

She hissed, "Spit it out you little snot! ...or you'll be sorry."  Heck, it seemed to me I was already sorry.  I swallowed hard and smiled greenly.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis