Author Topic: Miscellany  (Read 4239 times)

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
Re: Miscellany
« Reply #20 on: Sunday July 26, 2020, 08:05:44 AM »
It turns out that my wife was felled by a vehicle backing out of the General Store hitting the shopping cart she was preparing to unload.  The back of her head struck the asphalt.  The vehicle and its' occupant(s) left the scene without rendering aid at all to the now unconscious and bleeding victim.  The Marshall who had found me was the same officer who came out to my place.  The license plate numbers were in the report.

Since her vehicle was not struck, it remains to be seen how my insurance provider will assist in the hit- and-run with serious injury.  It also remains to be seen how the investigation will progress.  These are trying, dystopian times.  All our institutions are strained beyond their limits.  We will adjust and adapt.  Do the best we can.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
« Reply #21 on: Sunday July 26, 2020, 12:15:20 PM »
Oh hell!  Anthro, I'm so sorry to read this and hope your wife recovers quickly and fully.  My younger child has also just sustained a head injury, and I know how frightening it can be.  Wishing her healing.

totalfolly
"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline Gobe

• Registered member
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday July 28, 2020, 08:28:53 PM »
So sorry to hear his Anthro. What a horrible thing to happen. I hope your beloved makes a full recovery.  Best wishes to you both. x
Love inhabits the heart forever.

Offline Gobe

• Registered member
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday July 28, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
Totalfolly - sorry to hear this. I hope your child makes a full recovery. Take care.
Love inhabits the heart forever.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday July 29, 2020, 03:18:29 AM »
Oh, Totalfolly!  How old is your child? Was there loss of consciousness?  Do the doctors say syncope across the pond?  Have they given a prognosis and so on?  In other words, dear, uncomplicated recovery?  Private message me if there is anything I can do.  As for my Honey, it has been touch and go for the past week.  I have been too busy to compare notes with the Marshall's investigator.  The same one who came out to find me.  On that evening, a week ago, the only evidence was a license number.  Nothing else.  Of course, they have resources like drones and surveillance cameras, which I do not.  So, when I do get time to compare notes, will they still have only a license number, or will they have a dossier similar to the one I have gathered.  These guys are not stupid.  Let see how diligently their case has come together.  These are unusually trying times for them as well.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday July 29, 2020, 01:19:16 PM »
Anthro, Erin is 39, adult of course, but I still think "child".  (Erin has also recently come out as transgender, so I will be using he/him.)  He is slowly recovering, thankfully--he still suffers some scrambling of circuits and has some trouble following rapid conversation.  But he is *definitely* improving, so we're just very grateful for that.  I hope the same for your wife.  Please keep us updated.

Do the doctors say syncope across the pond?

I don't know how you got the impression that I'm somewhere in Europe.  I'm on your side of the pond.   ;D  Happily living in Maine.

totalfolly
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday July 29, 2020, 01:25:57 PM »
Totalfolly - sorry to hear this. I hope your child makes a full recovery. Take care.

Thank you.

totalfolly
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday July 29, 2020, 09:49:54 PM »
Dear (Totalfolly), this is a perfect example of persistence of long entrenched error on my part.  In a puppy-like way (me, not you) I fixated on you as one of my British friends.  I, even now, imagine you with a British accent of a Downton Abby sort, quite upper-crust. As it happens, this is not the only troubling illusion which may afflict and soothe me, both at the same time.  Crisis does, quite often, scramble the mind a bit, even in the best of times.  At the moment though, we have some pretty Dystopian challenges, what with resident rump and his circus of Publican demons and assorted anarchic, fascistic dictators and other facilitators, stirring the pot, so to speak.

The son who sired my two autistic grandsons, has concluded that he/she has always had to cope with said misalignment of gender, and has taken many measures, short of surgery, to rectify the matter.  She is she to me now, no chopping required.  Most of the time, I happily call her by her new name.  Look at how much we have in common, my dear.  Anthro

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #28 on: Friday July 31, 2020, 09:56:50 PM »
Nine days since the incident.  My Honey is still very weak, marginally less confused, and showing ambiguous, subtle signs of improvement, but nothing that portends a rapid return to work within the first or second week of August.  Even so, I have become cautiously optimistic. I had better post this now.  My computer is being fornicated by the hurricane season, which has caused me many forfeited chess matches, which would likely have been in my win column.  No matter.  Life is good, and seriously beats the alternative.  Anthropositor

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
« Reply #29 on: Saturday August 01, 2020, 12:42:56 PM »
I fixated on you as one of my British friends.  I, even now, imagine you with a British accent of a Downton Abby sort, quite upper-crust.

Ah, Anthro, if it helps at all, I'm doing my best to cultivate a Mainer accent (that'd be "Maine-ah" in Maine-speak).  There are similarities, as well as glaring differences.   ;D

The son who sired my two autistic grandsons, has concluded that he/she has always had to cope with said misalignment of gender, and has taken many measures, short of surgery, to rectify the matter.  She is she to me now, no chopping required.  Most of the time, I happily call her by her new name.  Look at how much we have in common, my dear.  Anthro

I sometimes wonder if there's anything in this life you haven't experienced!  While not something I'd wish on my friends, I'm glad to find there's someone I know who has also had this experience.

Thank you for the latest update on your wife.  I continue to keep her and you in my thoughts.

totalfolly
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #30 on: Monday August 03, 2020, 05:58:29 AM »
I do feel variously like Zelig, Forrest Gump, King Rat, and Diogenes, looking with a lantern for an honest man.  "He who lives more lives than one, more deaths than one must die!"  But not this day.  Maybe even not this decade.

My Honey is, at last, showing signs of more tangible recovery on several more tangible parameters than were apparent for most of this intervening time.  Hope is a hardy weed, and it is sprouting pretty well.  I'm prognosticating she'll be right as rain in two weeks to two months, give or take.  Would I bet on it?  I am betting on it.  Anthropositor

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday August 04, 2020, 04:58:18 PM »
My Honey is, at last, showing signs of more tangible recovery on several more tangible parameters than were apparent for most of this intervening time.  Hope is a hardy weed, and it is sprouting pretty well.  I'm prognosticating she'll be right as rain in two weeks to two months, give or take.  Would I bet on it?  I am betting on it.  Anthropositor

I'm SO glad!

totalfolly
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday August 12, 2020, 08:09:10 PM »
My Honey is still showing subtle signs of improvement, including one, which could be held to be climactic.  Encouraging, to say the least.  Anthropositor.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #33 on: Saturday August 15, 2020, 09:48:38 PM »
What we have here is a failure to communicate!  That line, like many we all use, comes from fiction, but exposes many hidden truths.  We have been living within a cascading crescendo of cacophony
and chaos now, for years and years.  It has taken an inestimable toll on all of us, but it is not uniform in any way.  Life has always had its' uncertainties, but this particular inflection point seems, more and more, to be literally insane.  It is the product of diverse and incompatible fanaticisms clashing.  Anthropositor pauses...

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #34 on: Saturday August 22, 2020, 02:19:47 AM »
One way or another, perhaps we are all members of the cults of expertise.  There are many of them.  They often blend in ways that are incompatible.  We can be completely blind to the inconsistencies.  I thought, for a very long time, that Archimedes was the brightest of the bright.  But his brilliance never blossomed beyond his technical inventiveness and imagination.  How could this singular genius not attain wisdom?  I don't think it even occurred to him that it was missing.  He successfully worked for the "tyrant of Syracuse."  He got stuck in his engineering specialties, and  never broadened out.   As far as I can tell, Archimedes never gave a thought about the moral fiber of his rulers' regime.  Nevertheless, he produced incredibly effective weapons for his city-state.

We are in the middle of several great crises which will not wait until our leadership decides they are even real.  What could possibly go wrong?

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #35 on: Sunday September 13, 2020, 08:57:13 PM »
Life is a fevered dream, more or less.  We literally must believe in something!  I too MUST.  I was born in total darkness.  I "know" I had dreamed already of light, surely.  Of what use is that?  It would take an extended time to learn to focus, to be able to use that light in a way that might be useful.  Words too were unavailable to me.  Even the word I.  I wasn't even an I at that time.  Just a protoplasm with hopes and dreams and fears too vague to comprehend.  Hope?  What's that?  Just a feature of some promise, which may or may not be an illusion.

Time had been around for a while but had been unnoticed until the one in charge rapped me on the bottoms of my feet, requiring me to gasp my first breath, and to let it out explosively, with great indignation and sound, which was for me, my biggest indicator that I was in a new place, and things weren't always going to be nice.  Immediately following, I was circumcised, which the most learned among us believed would be of negligible inconvenience, and since I was not yet even a sentient and consenting creature, or at least a trusting one, whose indignation would never be remembered later anyway.

These may well have been useful surprises as it happens.  I was told years later, that my elder brother, only four at the time, greeted me upon my first entry to our household, with a sock to the head.  I suspect I was as rude a surprise to my elder siblings (a sister too, seven) as they were to me.

There is always the unexpected.  We do live in very unexpected times, don't we?  Armageddon was first conceived in ancient times.  As a concept, it has never gone out of style.  I know a great many people who literally look forward to it.  Eagerly.  Prayerfully.  Devoutly.  As something to be sought!  Suicidally, even.  In the Cold War, our nuclear war aspirations were presided over by an outfit in Texas named Pentex that did things like purifying plutonium and endlessly producing atomic warheads, when we and our enemies already had enough to destroy Mother Earth and all its' creatures many times over.  I am told that most of the workers they employed were born-againers, happy with the prospect that  Armageddon was made more immediate and real.

I was going to make a riff.  Free style jazz in words.  Like a jam session.  I do like jazz.  I do not like it when it follows no set of rules that I can wrap my head around.  Abrupt discordancies that do not follow the rules at least skeletally, that I particularly have become comfortable with, I reject categorically.  Not because I want to.  I have to.  Thus ends this attempted riff.  Anthropositor

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #36 on: Sunday September 20, 2020, 10:57:04 PM »
When I was very little, perhaps four, I listened avidly to a children's radio program which was just amazing to me.  Featured in the show was that, we listeners could send in our choice of three different and wildly contrasting notions, objects, animals or whatever, and one of the enumerable children in the radio audience would be honored by name for having selected the unique and impossible things to be seamlessly and masterfully put in the story.  I think there was even a ding or a dong, to refresh our recollection of each the items scheduled to be in it.  My elder brother did his utmost to distract me by any and all means available, because my attention was not directed toward him, as he felt proper, as his due.  Big Sister, his elder too by several more years, held us both to be equal dregs in her eyes, totally unremarkable and worthless, boring beyond all reason.

For his part, my brother could tell a good story too, as long as he was holding my undivided attention, but the stories did not seem to emanate from his imagination, so much as from memory of stories previously told or read to him.  He was singularly impressive in making balsa wood and tissue paper airplanes which actually flew, with propeller blade driven by a nose to tail wound-up rubber band.  He also made a crystal-set powerless radio which could be heard through an earphone held to the ear.  I can't express how magical that seemed to me.

We squabbled over that single earphone, over which he had fairly absolute and enforceable rights.  He did have all the power, or so it seemed to me.  And he hid that crystal set carefully, preventing me from ever using it when he was not present.  But he did have to go to school.  In his absence I hunted and hunted.  Within days, I had discovered it!  I didn't tell Mom or Big Sister.  I had already heard the phrase "loose lips sink ships," in overheard adult conversation, and I knew what it meant.  I also knew how to apply it in my particular circumstances.

Had I let it be known, that would have ended my clandestine freedom, with a certainty.  It also came about that, after Big Brother went to school, Mom would pop me up a skillet of popcorn, put it in a big glass bowl and leave me to my own devices, with the admonishment, "Stay out of trouble."  I took that to heart.  I was a good boy.  Boy, was I a good boy.  My Mom hated to make popcorn, because she herself couldn't eat it.  It was hard on her innards.  So we would get popcorn, once a month or so if we were lucky.

For weeks, I was the best boy I could possibly be!  My Mom was absolutely overjoyed.  She had learned a painless way to control the ruffian that I was, effortlessly.  For my part, I was in hog heaven.  My Mom was making me a big bowl of popcorn every school day, all for myself!  And I could go to the Boys bedroom.  Once in a while, she would call out from the bottom of the stairs, "Sandy, you doing all right up there?"  "Yeah, Mom.  Just playing."  Little did she know what I was doing. 

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday September 22, 2020, 12:00:04 AM »
In these idyllic weeks, leaving aside the sheer contentment, the dreaminess of that excess of popcorn (that Big Brother would never learn of if I could help it), and the careful search for that fascinating crystal-set radio finally hit the jackpot!  I could hardly contain myself.  I pounded my chest like King Kong, shook my fists at the slanted celestial ceiling, which was almost within reach if I reached up just a little more.  I modestly accepted the applause of the throngs whose admiration of me was hissing raspilly from my own throat.  I became a sprite prancing lightly in my two-footed one piece jammies, but silent as Casper the ghost.

But there was an urgency.  Big Brother would be back when school let out.  It may have been my first recognition that time is in the essence of things, and non-things or nothings as well.  WOW.  Clocks and watches had to do with that!  Who knew?

How much time had gone by?  I didn't know.  I really HAVE TO learn to tell time.  Taking no chances, I put the crystal-set back in its' secret place.  "Hey Maaaaum!  What time is it?"  I took the glass bowl to the kitchen, pulled a kitchen chair over to the sink, clambered up on it and was washing the bowl out when Mom came in.  "My, Sandy!  Washing the dishes, just like a big boy!"  "Mom, I've GOT to learn to tell time."

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #38 on: Today at 12:31:52 AM »
"Supper!" Big Sister called out.  I scampered a bee line to the kitchen table, climbed my kitchen chair, and stood upon it, which was my custom.  Someone had discovered that I was considerably less messy if I ate while standing.  Mom was already seated.  Big Brother and Father were yet to arrive.  Before me was a plate of stewed tomatoes, sliced avocado, macaroni, a glop of spinach and a boiled potato.  I was distraught.  "Slime, slime, slime, slime and revolting slime.  Where's the meat?"  Mom, patiently,  "Sandy, there is a war, you know!  We can't have meat all the time.  But if you eat everything on your plate, we may have strawberries and corn bread for desert!  Which is the revolting slime?"  I opined it had to be the stewed tomatoes.  "Why?" she asked.  "They're bitter!"  She decisively sprinkled a spoonful of sugar on them.  "Your Dad is coming.  You want to tell him?"  Without thought I scooped a big spoonful in my mouth, gave a couple of chews, swallowed hard, and gave her a big red toothed grin as the king and the prince came in.

Big Brother had to sit next to me.  I could stand and he could not, at meals.  The only time I was biggest.  High times!  I nudged the rest of my slimes idlily with my spoon.

"What's new?"  "Sandy did the dishes today, all on his own."  "At his age?  Well, that's something, isn't it!  How did you come to do that son?"  ... ... ... .  "Answer your daddy, Sandy."  "... ... It just ... seemed ... like ... ... we all ... need ... to do our part," I ended triumphantly.  "Well, keep up the good work, son.  You're a big boy now."  and my audience was blessedly ended.  I was suddenly ravenously hungry enough to eat my slime.

Supper went on in golden silence.  The came the cornbread and strawberries.  I got the very biggest.  Big Brother, who I now towered over, couldn't stand it.  "How come He gets so much?"  Perhaps he meant the question rhetorically.  No such luck.  He was just ignored.  So he said it again with greater vigor.  That could not have been the correct thing to do.  He had to fix it.  The silence was growing and growing and growing.  Deafening.  Finally, desperately, he mumbled softly, "I wanna do the dishes."  The interminable regal silence went on.  Presently Father said, very quietly, reasonably, " What is your job?"  "What job?"  "Your job."  "I don't have a job."  "You do!  It's why you get an allowance.  An allowance so much bigger than Sandys' allowance.  How much bigger?"  "He gets a nickle.  I get a half dollar."  "How many nickles are in a half dollar?" 

I didn't have any idea, but I bet my big brother would know.  And for some reason, I wanted to know too.  Big Brother finally said, "Ten nickles."  WOW,  who knew?  "But Dad, the grass is so tall, I can't push the mower.  It just gets stuck."  "It wouldn't if you mowed it every week the way you are supposed to.  Would it?  Can you do it, or should I just keep your allowance?" 

He agreed to do it apparently without knowing how.  Something that often happens in the world of grownups.