Author Topic: ready to give up  (Read 2859 times)

Offline raggedskin

• Registered member
ready to give up
« on: Saturday April 12, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »
I've had pomphylox on my hands for ten years and it basically just goes in cycles of being not too bad, then blistered and itchy, then weeping when I scratch, then incredibly dry, and then round again. I've given up trying to do anything to get rid of it.

I also had really bad eczema when I was little and it went away for years, but a couple of years ago came back very specifically on the inside of my wrists. About a year ago it spread to my elbow creases and now it's all over my body, especially my breasts :( I've read that stress can make it worse, and my Dad died a year ago so it's entirely possible this was the trigger. I have been given Betnovate steroid ointment by my doctor and it does help, but only while I'm using it, and as soon as I stop, the eczema comes back - and besides, it's not really practical to use a tiny tube of ointment when it's all over your whole body. Where it's healed on my legs I'm now covered with hyperpigmentation scars. I was told that applying emollients helps but honestly I really haven't found them to make any difference. I've used Epaderm (which made my skin flake), aqueous cream (which I liked until I read that it's bad for you) and Diprobase, and they made no difference to the itching or to the flare ups. I'm currently putting on Aveeno after a shower, which I prefer because it's lighter.. but it's not like it actually makes the eczema go away. I read recently that 90% of people with eczema are colonised with staph bacteria, and that eczema is an immune system reaction to the staph. A way of killing the bacteria is to have a 'bleach bath' - 250ml of sterilising fluid (like you'd use to sterilise stuff for babies) in a full bath of warm water. So I'm trying that twice a week for two months. But to be honest I don't really hold out any hope that it's actually going to work, it feels like I'm going to be like this for the rest of my life - and if I'm not itching, I'm scarred. :'(

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
Re: ready to give up
« Reply #1 on: Sunday April 13, 2014, 06:56:17 AM »
Hi raggedskin, and welcome to the forum!

I know how you feel - I've been there! I had pompholyx all over my left foot. Made walking rather painful.

But there is hope, in the hands of a good dermatologist. If, between you, you can find and take away the trigger, your pompholyx may drop into remission. It was athletes foot (the tinea fungus) in my case. I have also got trapped in a vicious circle with ointments, as the regular doc prescribed steroid creams which made it worse by feeding the athletes foot.

Ultimately, it was a 2 week course of antifungal drugs, and a week after it was all healed and gone. Touch wood, I've been clear since.

There is always hope. It just takes time to work out what your trigger is.

Matt.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Sonikdemon

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Saturday May 03, 2014, 03:16:10 AM »
Hi raggedskin. I'm curious as to how the bleach bath is working for you?

Offline raggedskin

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday May 04, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »
hey there.
I did the bleach bath thing for about three weeks and I do think I was starting to see a difference. that was without using steroids too. but then suddenly I met with some kind of trigger and it all came screaming back within a day and I'm now just as bad as I was before. So back to the doctor I go, I guess. Might be worth trying if you know your triggers though.