Author Topic: Grovers-Could it be linked to hormones?  (Read 2761 times)

Offline CSP

• Registered member
Grovers-Could it be linked to hormones?
« on: Wednesday January 08, 2014, 03:07:04 PM »
Hello,
I am new to the group but have been suffering from Grovers for over 5 years.  The first couple little red dots on my stomach got my attention but I didn't think much about them until one summer (after a spray tan) my entire stomach broke out the day before vacation. I couldn't wear a bikini as I had planned and went the whole vacation embarrassed and confused. Once home, it had cleared but I went to my derm and told her about it, she said she couldn't do anything until I had another outbreak, she needed to see it & do a biopsy. It took some time but I had another breakout while in Colorado, in the severe cold wearing lots of layers and wool so I called for an emergency appointment and had the biopsy that came back Grovers.  Since then I haven't stopped researching and trying to understand why this happened and why there isn't a cure?  Each month (the week before my period) my Grovers comes to the surface, sometime badly and sometimes not too bad, but without a doubt, when I am pre-menstrual, my Grovers is at its worst.  This month it covered my the skin over my left ovary area and terribly between my breasts, but as soon as I got my period it started to dry up, just like a pimple would. I know this disease affects men more than women but I am wondering if any other women have exerperienced A LINK BEWEEN THEIR GROVERS AND HORMONAL LEVELS?  I use a topical steriod my doc prescribed but as everyone knows, it only does so much.  I am frustrated that Grovers is not researched or studied like other skin diseases, I know it's uncommon but we're suffering and need more answers.  This week I was prescribed Spironolactone 50mg with the hope of some response to the monthly breakouts, I haven't started taking it yet as I am researching the drug and its side effects.  I am willing to try anything, be a part of a study, etc...looking forward to your replies.

Offline Jaxjane

• Registered member
Re: Grovers-Could it be linked to hormones?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday January 08, 2014, 05:55:59 PM »
Hi - I am a newbie to Grovers as well as well as a female.  I have to admit I was disappointed in my dermatologist's lack of engagement and the office's "well, there really isn't anything we can do about it" attitude.  I have found several things to try on this website and have had some varying degrees of success with some of it.  It seems what works for some doesn't work for others, etc. so I'm trying everything.  I want to feel like I'm doing something.  I'm sure you can understand that.

Some folks have got gluten free and have eliminated their outbreaks.  It doesn't work for everyone, but it seems a good deal have had success with that.  I have to admit, I'm a bit lazy about that stuff so started with easier things first.  Some folks mentioned drinking alcohol seemed to exacerbate their outbreaks.  I eliminated vodka and mine started to clear up.  Red wine seems to be a trigger as well.  I've started using Aveeno bath wash and have had some good success with that as well.  When I have a larger outbreak I soak in an Aveeno tub.  I do not even use the steroid cream they gave me anymore as the Aveeno, combined with the elimination of alcohol seems to help me immensely.  Sometimes I put baby powder on my skin as well.  Several folks said they use talc and it helps.  Another popular thing is zinc oxide.  I haven't tried that yet but will be.  Witch Hazel seems to be another thing that seems to help.

After many hours of research, my conclusion is if you treat this more like poison ivy or poison oak and less like Grover's you have more success treating the symptoms. 

I hope this helps. 

I feel so much better after finding this website.  I was so freaked out when this happened to me and was so disheartened when my dermatologist told me I just had to live with it.

Good luck to you :)

Offline CSP

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday January 08, 2014, 08:07:37 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply.  I hear you about the attitude of the doctor, I was told that there's little to no research on Grovers because it's so rare, if more people got it that would be a different story.  Do you notice flare ups around your monthly cycle?  I was on a particular birth control pill when it started and found a connection that the hormones associated with that pill was linked to skin disorders such as Grovers, so I went off of it.  My skin seemed better overall, but the week before my period it flares up.  There's got to be a common link that we all have, especially as women, that has caused this and I am on a mission to find it.  I'm not one to sit still and accept something that no one can explain to me.  I will also share that I am fair-skinned with freckles and spent a lot of time in the sun through my teenage years into my 20's...tanning beds quite a bit too.  Now I wear 50 when I go outside and completely protect my skin but when I put bronzer on my stomach I flare up.  Why?  So frustrating!

Offline michaeltennor

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday September 05, 2015, 07:42:08 AM »
Yes, even I agree that consuming such pills can also tend to skin disorders. Its better to take medicines with the doctors recommendation, so that there are no further complications during your menstrual periods.

Offline golfboy307

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday September 08, 2015, 03:30:51 PM »
CSP et al.  These is a primary Grover's board on this website that you may want to check out.  It has been active for over 12 years.  Lots of stops and starts on different treatments.  One other protocol that helped several people was mercury chelation (google Dr. Paul Dantzig). 

FYI, there are several mentions of Grover's getting worse during menstruation and times of stress as well.

We all wish there was a magic bullet!