Author Topic: severe pompholyx eczema. hands and feet. please hep meee ;(  (Read 6990 times)

Offline chelseygunn

• Registered member
severe pompholyx eczema. hands and feet. please hep meee ;(
« on: Tuesday December 03, 2013, 06:11:22 PM »
hello.
im having a major problem with pompholyx eczema, it started off with a few blisters on my fingers, that were extremely itchy, then they got large and spread all over my palms, ive never had something that was so itchy, but itching made it worse, i really dont know how to stop the itching?! can anyone help? ive also got what feels like one large blister, but it looks like a cluster of tiny ones,all over my feet, so bad that i cant really walk. an then to make it even worse, its got infected! its so upsetting and stressing to see it, every morning it just seems to be getting worse, ive been on antibiotics since thursday but they got increased monday coz they were not working, i also go eumovate and a diprobase cream. whats really bad is that the infected are has an open sore, im worried about washing my hands, as i read water irritates it? i did get some dermol handwash though, so im happier washing it. i really need it to get better as im signed off work until it does. does anyone know how i can help the itchyness of it all! as i think it makes it worse, its never been so bad pleaase help x

Offline chelseygunn

• Registered member
Re: severe pompholyx eczema. hands and feet. please hep meee ;(
« Reply #1 on: Thursday December 05, 2013, 12:31:54 PM »
ive also heard sun beds help? has anyone tried this? i see a few people looking but not replying, i need all the info i can get, its driving me crazy  ;( lol

Offline kaatrin

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday December 05, 2013, 08:42:54 PM »
I am trying UVB phototherapy now.  They told me that the results will be visible after approx. 30 appointments.  I had about 15 so far and feel a little better - I have severe pompholyx on my fingers.  Much less weeping since the therapy dries out the skin. Can be pricey, my insurance luckily covers most of it.

I did not have much luck with steroid creams since my condition is chronic and if I stop the steroid it comes back with a vengeance.  Since I started phototherapy, I only used the steroid cream once.

Offline chelseygunn

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Friday December 06, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »
would sunbeds be sort of the same thing? just cheaper? lol. mines gotten a little bit worse since i used steriod creams, ive been off work for a week and got to go back to doctors monday to see how it is, id just started a new job at boots, so its come on at the worst time. and the doctors dont even know what causes it, my feet seem to be improving (a little) but its still difficult to walk. do you have any idea what triggers it?

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday December 08, 2013, 08:22:43 AM »
first take a deep breath and try to understand pompholyc could be categorized as allergy, mean it could happen for the rest of life and happen to our children
that's mean we need to stop medication like steroid and find other solution to reduce the risk from consuming too much medicine

1. try to remember when the first time you get the itch
the first symptom will be long lasting itch, you started to scratch it especially the hand

2. after you know when the itch start, try to remember some activity, place, produk, food and beverage that different than usual
please remember it's not an absolute reason, some people start to get this pompholyx when reach certain age
that's mean we need to start a new behaviour, activity and product to prevent the worsened pompholyx

3. you need to focus on finding the trigger, this is absolute solution for pompholyx
you can start by getting patch test for allergen
I don't think they include this in patch tests but there is a preservative which is nowadays commonly used in shampoo, conditioner, wash up liquid, liquid detergent and baby wipes as well as a fair amount more. They are called methyl chloroisothiazolinone and methyl isothiazolinone, Isothiazolinone and Kathon CG. It can trigger atopic dermatitus and if you continue to get it on your skin this becomes severe and very closely resembles pompholyx. Since I discovered this, and I do have a tendency to react to preservative anyway as well as nickel - I have tried to eliminate it and my hands now are healing, looking much better than almost any time in the last three years. Most dermatologists don't recognise it yet, but as it is becoming more and more common they soon will. So maybe its in your personal care products, it almost certainly is in baby wipes. My skin now appears to be healing so I am hoping that I have finally found my answer. I know everyone is different, but it might be worth considering.

4. try to get some corticosteroid for first 2 weeks
this to restore our condition, so we could more easily to find the trigger
and while consuming those, try to start selective about all kind of thing that could become trigger
and take it to mind the trigger is fast reacting allergen, so if the symptom become worse, there is possibility that you still get contact with trigger/allergen
and need to find it fast

here some list that could become trigger
1. all rubber product that touch the skin for long time
i'm stop using rubber sandals and some people start to get pompholyx from latex glove or when touching trolley handle (supermarket)
the solution is to start using natural cloth like cotton and avoid synthetic cloth product
i'm still get itch feet when using wrong shoes and socks

2. all product that touch the skin when the skin is wet / sweat
this is why some people start to get lotion or glove and socks
to prevent direct contact with wet hand/feet
and don't forget the shampoo, detergent, soap and lotion could become trigger (read above quote for the reason)
so you need to be selective about this product

3. all canned and preservative food and drinks
i don't understand the reason, but one of the trigger was nickel
so the canned food and drinks, all furniture with nickel coating or maybe milk harvested with nickel tool
could be trigger to pompholyx
don't forget the nickel could be found on some food
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3667300/

4. try to get combination of small dossage of corticosteroid and antihistamine like celestamin
it's small dossage (8tablet each day) you just need to drink 1 or 2 before sleeping

5. don't get to emotional / stress, because it could worse the symptom, try to take this slowly and always believe you could stop this pompholyx soon

6. and remember, you could blacklist all of those thing above
but when you eliminated all trigger and get better, you could start to consume them again and check if they were strong trigger to the pompolyx which is need to avoid as much as possible
or weak trigger which we could keep consume more often than strong trigger

hope this post help to solve yours
good luck :)

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Sunday December 08, 2013, 08:34:27 AM »
for me this pompholyx like acumulation of all trigger or allergen
so when the blister come out, thats mean need to stop contact with strong trigger / allergen
it's like we toke too much poison that need to be stopped

even now i could ignore weak trigger, because it's just small itch and not becoming blister or worse
but when the symptom become worse i know i consume/use/get contact to the weak trigger/allergen too much that it start to take influence to my pompholyx

so i stop for a while, consume very small dossage of cortico steroid like celestamine
and wait for the symptom get better and start again carefully not to trigger the symptom too fast

it's like i make some adaptation to the trigger/allergen
but this action not make my life become worse, it's make me aware that we living on modern time where there so much risk
while it's make out life more easy, all small risk from the product accumulate and become a serious problem to our life
it's like a reminder that we need to careful to our life.

Offline chelseygunn

• Registered member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday December 08, 2013, 09:04:22 PM »
i cant think what could be triggering it, i did just put some diprobase on though and that is making me itch, it seems to be getting better but its still not great, my memory is not particularly great so when i break out i might not realise it, and could be using loads of stuff, but i did try to be careful with it this time but it did just get worse and worse, ive got an appointment tomorrow so i will see about getting patch tested, the doctors seems to know hardly anything about it though which is frustrating. thanks for all your help

Offline smokytopaz

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday December 21, 2013, 08:36:03 AM »
Have you always had it? Or is this fairly new? If its new, it could be severe contact dermititus. My irritants are Isothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone and Chloroisothiazolinone which are preservatives in shampoo, most wash in wash out products like dishwash liquid. Since stopping them my hands and feet are almost clear. But as it was so so bad, three years it was there, it is taking months to clear completely. In fact anything nowadays that I reacted to in the past now goes instantly to my hands and feet. :(  And it will now always be so. Diprobase also was an irritant to my skin. so the moisturiser I use is cetaphil restoraderm which contains no preservative.

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday January 08, 2014, 07:17:42 AM »
yeah i use different shampoo and body soap now
already blacklist some body soap, itchy after using them several time
no problem with shampoo, as long they don't make my hand itch

i'm not consuming home made tea anymore
well i like to drink up to 1,5 liter with 3 satched milk cream when drinking afternoon tea
no problem with coffee, since i drink espresso and 1 milk satched only each day
no problem with some milk powder

later i will repeat using some nutritional drinks powder,

i want to find biggest trigger
hope i could find it and share it here later

Offline smokytopaz

• Registered member
« Reply #9 on: Friday January 24, 2014, 11:22:01 AM »
The dermatologist told me that if steroid cream does not help and show an improvement, this skin condition is more likely to be an allergic reaction. (more likely, not definitely). Finding the trigger in that case is going to be your only solution. Sadly there is no 'one' trigger. On a brighter note - my skin is gradually improving and my hands are clear. My feet are taking a bit longer. But I keep making mistakes and using something I hadn't thought of ie I was cleaning the kitchen, wearing rubber gloves but I used a spray bottle of antibacterial cleaner and the droplets in the air must have landed on skin, or I breathed them, which was than followed by a couple of days of flare up. :(