Author Topic: Steroid cream for Dyshidrosis, 2 week max, but how long of a break?  (Read 5177 times)

Offline 88skisupreme

• Registered member
Steroid cream for Dyshidrosis, 2 week max, but how long of a break?
« on: Wednesday November 20, 2013, 08:24:01 PM »
I have dyshidrotic eczema, mostly on my hands, had it for nearly 20 years. Its minimal most of the time but when the temp changes colder or warmer I tend to have bigger out breaks. This fall was really bad, turns out my prescription was more than a year old and I just needed some new ultrivate cream. It worked great but I hit the two week mark and had to stop, the skin started breaking out again.

When I first got eczema I used the steroid too long and it stopped working. Doc said I could go two weeks on one off, I only made it 3 days off because it was so bad I had to start using it again. He also said weekdays on weekends off would work. Has anyone else found this to be ok? I just feel like I'm caught in the middle, I have something that works but I can't use it continually.

After doing some research on these boards I'm planning on picking up some vinegar and antihistamines and see if those help as well.

thanks!

Offline kaatrin

• Registered member
Re: Steroid cream for Dyshidrosis, 2 week max, but how long of a break?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday November 20, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
First, big hugs for you!  I feel your pain!

I have dyshidrosis on my hands - mostly on fingertips.  It started about 12 years ago.  Now I am having a constant breakout since last December.  I also had a baby in February.  I was put on the steroid cream in May (for the first time) and I found it does more harm than good.  After two weeks, I tried to get off the cream, I broke out worse.  Started using again, tried to stop again, even worse.  Anytime I tried to go off it, I would break out more and skin would be more angry and sore.  Had been in this crazy loop until late September.

Eventually I found the new doctor that thinks steroids are not the answer for this condition.  He said if I absolutely have to, I can do 2 days of cream, then 2 weeks off!  This is much less than any other doctor would advise!  I was prescribed phototherapy.  The doctor also told me not to overmoisturize.

I stopped the cream and had worst breakout ever :'(, the next one was a bit less and now I am on my third since stopping steroids (just started - they come on every 3 weeks, in addition to daily breakouts of few blisters here and there).  I started phototherapy (UVB narrowband) 4 weeks ago and I am already feeling like the condition has tamed a bit - I weep less and I am much less swollen.  They say that it will take 3 months to tell if it worked.

Offline 88skisupreme

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday November 20, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »
Luckily the steroid is working for me, I just don't want to over use it an loose the effectiveness.

Also I got infections under a few fingernails this time, the cream and some antibiotics fixed that. Now a couple nails are growing out with cracks in them, hopefully they don't fall off.  :-\

Offline kaatrin

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday November 20, 2013, 09:33:13 PM »
Oh, the steroid was "working" for me too, it would go away with the steroid - just to come back right when I stopped it...

The under the nail stuff is horribly awful, I get  blisters under the nails occasionally and the nails on my index fingers are a little deformed >:(

I hope phototherapy works for me, sometimes it is so hard to deal with this stupid condition - especially with the baby around.   

Offline chelseygunn

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday December 03, 2013, 06:08:19 PM »
hello.
im having a major problem with this atm, it started off with a few blisters on my fingers, that were extremely itchy, then they got large and spread all over my palms, ive never had something that was so itchy, but itching made it worse, i really dont know how to stop the itching?! can anyone help? ive also got what feels like one large blister, but it looks like a cluster of tiny ones,all over my feet, so bad that i cant really walk. an then to make it even worse, its got infected! its so upsetting and stressing to see it, every morning it just seems to be getting worse, ive been on antibiotics since thursday but they got increased monday coz they were not working, i also go eumovate and a diprobase cream. whats really bad is that the infected are has an open sore, im worried about washing my hands, as i read water irritates it? i did get some dermol handwash though, so im happier washing it. i really need it to get better as im signed off work until it does. does anyone know how i can help the itchyness of it all! as i think it makes it worse, its never been so bad pleaase help x

Offline 88skisupreme

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday December 05, 2013, 08:44:51 PM »
do some searches on these boards, some find relief from itching with cider vinegar.

Keep using the steroids, but remember to do it in intervals or it will stop working.

Mine has cleared up, I stopped on the weekends, used it on weekdays. Also I've been taking some vitamin A and antihistamines