Author Topic: 20 Years of Dyshidrotic Eczema  (Read 10137 times)

Offline atomicauntie

• Registered member
20 Years of Dyshidrotic Eczema
« on: Thursday September 26, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »
I was finally diagnosed this year with dyshidrotic eczema after having it on and off for more than 20 years.  (My last doctor called it "stress-related dermatitis," which I guess it technically is, but never told me the name of it.)

My pompholyx first appeared during college, and I ended up with deep cracks and fissures in my palms that were incredibly painful and took a long time to heal.  But then it would vanish for years at a time, and when it resurfaced it was only during warm months and in times of stress.  It never lingered longer than a month or two at most.

This summer, I got the worst flare up ever, and am still battling it months later.  It's completely taken over my hands and the soles of my feet.  Steroid cream prescribed by my doctor has managed to beat it back on my hands for the most part (but not until I'd gone through multiple rounds of vesicles, peeling skin, cracking, and all the accompanying loveliness), but hasn't really made much of an impact on my feet.  Sometimes my soles get those "super-blisters," the kind where all the tiny blisters merge together and you're left with a two- or three-inch blister that makes walking hurt so badly.

I confess that I'm a picker and a popper; I just can't leave my skin alone when it's like this.  I burst the smaller vesicles with a comedone extractor (it's a little metal tool for extracting blackheads, and works perfectly for popping these suckers!), and I sometimes have to pop the large blisters just to relieve the tension in them so I can walk comfortably.

The appearance of my hands is acceptable now, but my feet are another thing entirely.  I didn't wear sandals all summer long because the skin was so hideous.  I started taking selenium and vitamin E supplements when I read that they've been a "cure" for some people, but it's had no impact whatsoever after a month.  I'm very lucky that my dyshidrosis isn't itchy, for the most part, except when it's in the peeling stage.

This morning a large piece of skin on my foot sloughed off (gross, sorry), revealing perfect bright pink new skin -- complete with little white vesicles just waiting to erupt.  I almost cried from the frustration of it.  :'(

I've read that some people's dyshidrosis responds well to being in the ocean.  My question is, has anyone tried saltwater soaks for the feet?  Would you use sea salt for that?  What concentration?  Would Epsom salt perhaps work well?  I'm desperate for some relief.

Pic attached from about midway through the latest flare.  The feet subsequently got worse,and have unfortunately stayed that way.

Offline ShadowDance

• Registered member
Re: 20 Years of Dyshidrotic Eczema
« Reply #1 on: Saturday December 28, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »
Hello,

I can somewhat totally relate! I'm 14, but have suffered dyshidrosis for around 12 years. It's never really been that severe until this first outbreak, and I'm pretty much ready to cut off my hands and feet with frustration! The heat, constant itch, and swelling are all close to intolerable! I went to the beach today to test the salt-water theory; it soothed my hands a lot (whether due to the icy temperature or not I'm not sure) but it's been about 6 hours now and they're itchy again :/ Have you heard of MSM?? Many people have posted about it on various other sites, claiming it to be almost like a cure? I'm planning to ask my doctor about it in two days' time, so I'll let you know how that goes. Look it up if you're curious!

~Shadow

Offline chelseygunn

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Saturday December 28, 2013, 07:26:42 PM »
i feel like cutting my hands and feet off daily! i have found to cure itching quickly, just throw a frozen bag of peas on your hand, it feels rather nice too, if not cold! but a doctor i saw said i needed a hot sandy beach holiday? not really sure why when the heat i think irritates it more, can anyone say why?

ive also just changed creams from eumovate to betnovate and this is much better, lucky i had some around the house. it helped last time but if i stopped putting the cream on it just never got better,

Offline chelseygunn

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday December 28, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »
also i got some cocoa skin therapy oil for christmas? some have said thats good online for eczema, but im literally too skeptical to try, has anyone used it??

Offline Sonikdemon

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday March 16, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
I can't totally relate. Over 20 years for myself. Yes it can cycle from season to season. Big yes that there have been times in which I wished I could cut off my hands and feet. I have tried diets, steroids, showers, lack of showers, allergy tests, tried to reduce stress (but who really can?). I'm sorry that you've had to deal with it as well. Lately it's been getting even worse. Wow the itch is insane is it not? Your mind doesn't think of anything else. It's hard to explain to people. Often they respond with "it's just an itch. It can't be that bad then" mine is a result of hyperhydrosis, an excessive sweating of the hands and feet. Treatment? Well some are pretty extreme like spinal surgery with a low success rate and no certainty that it won't come back. I really appreciate reading through these posts and seeing I am not alone. Please keep sharing your stories and possibly what would work for you. Good luck and let's keep hoping a viable solution may be out there to help manage a normal life from this still highly not understood condition