Author Topic: My epiphany  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Anniet

• Registered member
My epiphany
« on: Monday September 23, 2013, 07:54:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum having been diagnosed with Pompholyx three years ago and with more and more frequent flare ups I've taken to "googling" to try and find my cure.

I was referred to a dermatologist as soon as it started and was given steroid creams to manage it and told to moisturise A LOT. The flare ups got worse and worse and even the steroid cream wasn't helping.

I returned to the dermatologist last week, and while waiting to see him, started to use specific eczema shampoo and conditioner and some earthy type body wash. It started to clear up. Not fixed but in the week that went past it was starting to heal. The dermatologist did the allergy patch test which has revealed an allergy to a preservative called methylchloroisothiazolinone and it's "sister" preservative, methylisothiazolinone. These are anti bacterial and anti fungal biocides added to the vast majority of personal care products including baby wipes. (Which is what I suspect started the latest flare up in May that I could not control, until now).

I'm sharing this because this evil nasty (you'll forgive me for not typing it in full again!) is in the majority of products that we use, including in many so called "organic" and "sensitive skin" products. There is a lot of research on it as there is a sharp increase in people with this allergy.

Please please please check all ingredient listings on all of your products and contact the manufacturers if the ingredients aren't listed. I'm not saying that everyone has an allergy to this, but it's becoming very common.

Offline Stitch not itch

Re: My epiphany
« Reply #1 on: Monday September 23, 2013, 08:20:51 AM »
Welcome to skincell xxxxxx soooo glad your noticing an improvement since your epiphany :)

Offline Stitch not itch

« Reply #2 on: Monday September 23, 2013, 08:23:42 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/piz-buin-sun-cream-irritation ps I thought you might find this interesting. One of the ingredients you list is mentioned x

Offline smokytopaz

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday September 26, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »
Omg...... I know I am allergic to some preservatives through past experience. I never thought to check shampoo etc............ off to find magnifying glass so I can read the lists of ingredients. There is a website if you put in a product name it lists the ingredients in easy to read format -CosNDA, which is useful.

Offline smokytopaz

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday October 30, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »
Thank you Anniet, this was my solution too and a month into avoidance, I am so much better, not 100% but well on the way.  :D