Author Topic: Pompholyx/ Dyshidrosis. Dermatologist or allergist?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline justme0101

• Registered member
    • Living With Dyshidrosis/Pompholyx
Pompholyx/ Dyshidrosis. Dermatologist or allergist?
« on: Sunday August 04, 2013, 02:54:30 AM »
Hello, everyone! I'm unemployed and have no insurance, so I can't afford too much more trial and error. I thought I should ask you guys-- for dyshidrotic eczema, should I see a dermatologist or an allergist? I went to the county doctor at no charge, who referred me to their own county dermatologist, but I still haven't heard back. In the meantime, I am on my third outbreak in a consistent series since May. The skin on my feet is peeling off, and I keep getting new vesicles on the new raw skin. I also have it a bit on my hands, but not NEARLY as bad as on my feet. Also, I seem to have a bit of a rash on my thighs and wrists. Well, THAT kind of a rash is one I have suffered with my whole life, since I was a baby, on and off-- atopic dermatitis, as well as seasonal allergies and asthma. However, I am new to dyshidrosis, so I am desperate to find when will it go away, or at least give me a break!

The county doctor gave me Clortrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate cream, which does dry up the vesicles, but it peels my skin so bad! And I wonder, will I always have to be using it? I was also given hydroxyzine (25mg per tablet), but all it does is it puts me in a deep, long sleep, but I'm back to being itchy when I wake up. The doctor said I can take it up to 3 times a day-- well, if I'm asleep day and night, I won't scratch. Lol. No, there has to be a different way.

I've tried so many different things. Airing out my feet without socks, but it dries them up so bad they crack. I keep them covered, and worry that they need to breathe. I have tried bed rest, but that doesn't work-- once you're on an outbreak, it will happen, so I just continue my exercise routine, which doesn't worsen it. I have tried apple cider vinegar, but no dice. I have tried hydrogen peroxide which many people swear by, but it stings SO bad, makes me itchier, plus I've heard from other sources that it can kill the good cells. I have also tried antifungals, in case it's related to fungus. I have had a tiny bit of fungus on my left big toe for a long time, but it seems to slowly be going away over the years, and this dyshidrotic outbreak has been recent.

SO! What do you guys recommend for me? And who should I break my small piggy bank for, the dermatologist or the allergist?