Author Topic: New here! Why did dishydrotic eczema start at 30??  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Clover81

• Registered member
New here! Why did dishydrotic eczema start at 30??
« on: Saturday May 11, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »
Hey guys, I'm new here!  I've been reading all your stuff, all you cures and triggers and it just seems so confusing!  Because the triggers tend to be different for everyone!  And your cures work for some and not others.  I guess it's all because we have different internal chemistry!

But here's my story - I never had any skin problems until I turned 30.  Then one day I started having itchy feet, between my toes.  Thinking it might be athlete's foot, I used athlete's foot spray.  But it just kept itching.  Then 6 months later, my first bubbles.  Just at my toes.  So I went to my doctor and she told me about dishydrotic eczema, (she had it too) and gave me some steroid ointment.

Now I have NEVER been someone who likes going barefoot, I always have socks on.  But I did dance classes for 12 years, and I have, what I think, are very pretty feet.  And dishydrosis has RUINED a whole foot.  I did the ointment, but all it did was stop the itching.  The bubbles started moving further and further down the sole of my foot. 

Another confession: what's the worst mental hangup for one of us eczema patients to have?  Skin picking disorder.  I don't like calling it a disorder, but I really have always done it, it calms me, and has left me with scars on my shoulders.  But now that I have eczema, this is really bad.  Seeing bubbles under my skin drives me insane!  I had to get rid of them.  Plus, for me, opening them stopped the itching.  (Although, suddenly the skin gets really water-logged all on it's own)

So anyway, the bubbles continued down the sole of my foot, but stopped at the arch of my foot because the skin is really thin there, not callused, and I don't think it was able to make the bubbles as easy.  And they even started going away!  But then it moved around the ball of my foot to the front.  And it's made it's way for the last year and a half all the way up the top of my foot.

That it's on the top of my foot is crazy to me, because it used to only stay in the areas where I had thick skin, and it even stopped when it got to the soft skin on my arch, but now it's on the top of my foot, where it's just normal, non-thick, non-grooved skin!  And now the bubbles are raised, instead of deep in the dermis!  And they are really prone to popping on their own from cloth rubbing them or me scratching the INTENSE itch while I sleep!

I had such beautiful skin before this!  I can't understand what has happened to make this start!  My foot looks like a burn victim, I'm so afraid to show it, and that cancels out SO MANY SHOE OPTIONS.  And the itch is UNBEARABLE.  I used to use the 1% steroid cream once a day.  Now it's like 4 times a day.  I take Dyphenhydramine (Benadryl) all the time, in higher doses than I should, and I feel doped and tired and heavy and it leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Also, as someone with depression and trouble with being tired a lot, the Benadryl just makes it WORSE.  I can't live like this.  3 doctors have all said the same thing: "There's no cure, just keep using the steroid."

I did have one give me Nystatin ointment as well, because as it was making it's way across my foot, she said "rashes with a creeping line like that are fungal as well", but I used the Nystatin for 3 months and there was zero change.  I was so disheartened.  I'm afraid of looking like a creep, I'm afraid I'll never be able to date someone because I'm pretty and then someday I'll have to take off my socks and scare the crud out of some poor guy.

But in the last month, my hands have started itching, and my elbows.  My elbows are getting red bumps and open sores from me scratching in my sleep!  And once, when I got sick and had a migraine, I had to go to the emergency room, got an IV, and just from bandaging my hand from the IV, a couple days later, my wrist broke out in bubbles!  The skin there is still  darkened and noticeable!  Will my skin be attacking itself and leaving dark marks the rest of my life?  Can you cover that stuff with maybe a tattoo?  Or can people like us even get a tattoo without worry of breaking out and ruining it?

Sorry to be long-winded.  This is the first time I have opened up to anyone about this.  I didn't used to have health insurance, but I just got on a plan, and so I hope to see a dermatologist soon.  I'm just so scared that nothing will work.

Only things that have helped me are the steroid ointment, which mainly just stops the itch. Also Cortizone 10 Eczema lotion, which I use on my foot when it gets totally crispy dry from the steroid, and on my newly itchy elbows.  Also, they say that the biggest causes for breakouts are stress, heat and dampness, but I went to Florida to babysit my cousins for a week, and was under 24 heavy stress, and intense heat and humidity, and lo and behold, it got better!!!  Almost even clear for those 10 days.  But as soon as I was back in Oregon, I broke out horribly, literally the next day.

I don't even know what to do anymore.  My nails are becoming bumpy and break easily, and some are even separating from my toe.  I feel like a freak all because of one foot!  If you guys have ANY advice, if your experience has been like mine, please tell me anything you've done that's helped.  I'm not afraid of pills, but I am really leery of the UV lamp thing, because I really would not  like to radiate my foot.  (Although, my foot looks like hell anyway, so who cares about wrinkles, right?)  Anyway, please, any help would be wonderful!

Offline justme0101

• Registered member
    • Living With Dyshidrosis/Pompholyx
Re: New here! Why did dishydrotic eczema start at 30??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday August 04, 2013, 03:09:40 AM »
Hi! Yes, dyshidrotic eczema can start at 30-- they say that this type of eczema usually starts between ages 20 and 40, but that it can happen any time. I got it for the first time this year, at 29 years of age. Unfortunately I cannot share anything that worked. Nothing has worked for me. The outbreaks come, live out their due course, the skin peels, and it starts all over again regardless of what I do. At this point I'm not sure whether to go to an allergist to get an allergy patch test, or a dermatologist. I'm on a budget, can't do both! =( This is terrible.

Offline Carwin

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Friday December 27, 2013, 05:16:08 AM »
I got it for the first time aged 48, a few months ago! I got it when I had athlete's foot but it looks like I'm stuck with it now even though the athlete's foot has been gone for months :(

Offline ShadowDance

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday December 28, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »
I'm 14 and I have it all over both hands and in many patches on  the soles of my feet, I feel your pain! :(