Author Topic: kidney stones  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
kidney stones
« on: Tuesday July 24, 2012, 08:10:12 AM »
Oh man.

It's 2:30 AM. About thirty minutes ago I woke up with a now-familiar pain in my back. It feels like an arrow wound from my flank to my lady area. I took a loritab and I'm waiting for it to kick in. Those pills are strong, and I've got faith. And some killer pain tolerance.

I first felt this about 5:45 AM Thursday morning. Nicely timed, frankly, it's the one morning I don't work. When it didn't subside by 6:30, I was willing to go to a doc-in-the-box. Alas, none were open. Mama took me to the emergency room. I wasn't in much shape to protest.

By the time the doctor came in to see me, the pain was gone. I wanted to know what was wrong anyway. They said it was my first-ever kidney stone! Yay! 3 mm, already at the edge of whatever tube leads to the bladder. They told me to strain my pee, gave me pills for the pain, nausea and bladder infection, and told me the worst was over. I admit, I wondered why these were considered such a big deal. It wasn't any worse than the worst of my menstrual cramps, and didn't last near as long.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

I felt a little odd and off Thursday evening, and took a pain pill on Mama's advice. It made me loopy and then knocked me out.

I saw the urologist Friday morning. It was about what I expected - expensive, and with a doctor who was in too much of a hurry to really answer my questions. The nurse described a stone that was about twice the size I expected 3 mm to be. Nobody seemed surprised that I was perfectly healthy. I headed to Florida with Twiga Friday night. I specifically asked the ER nurse if I was OK to travel, and she said yes.

We were nearly to the Florida border when the second wave hit. This time the nausea was in full force. I curled up in the seat and tried to have stilted conversation, interrupted by me losing my dinner at a gas station. I kept waiting for the pain to pass like it had the first time... but to no avail. I eventually took a pain pill but I didn't keep it, or anything else, down. Even after we got to Bethy's I was running for the toilet, and not to pee out a little solid object.

I caught something in the strainer - I think - Saturday morning. TINY little black thing, smaller then 3 mm and much smaller than the nurse described. I took a nausea pill in a desperate attempt to keep breakfast down. It also knocked me plum out. Saturday night I was finally better and able to have fun with my friends.

Left work early Monday from nausea and lack of energy. Came home and napped - never a good sign. I woke up OK for my therapist appointment, and thought I was going to be fine until about 5, when I started feeling weak again. Food helped, but shortly after eating I felt awful again and left my usual D&D group early.

I called my sister. She's only had a million of these things. Is it normal to be fine - sick - fine - sick - fine? She assured me that they can and do miss stones in ct scans. If I had two close together they might look like one, or one could hide behind the other. Fine. I looked up the side effects of the antibiotic. Aha - that's why I haven't been able to keep anything down. Y'all, I don't care if I create a mutant bladder infection strain and die of it, I am NOT taking the last pill.

Yeah right. Like I'm gonna jinx myself like that. I'll take it, but only after work tomorrow and only because I don't have more than one left. Assuming I can go to work! I'm still in crazy pain here. I type a few words and then curl up. It's nearly 3...

Honestly, I don't even know if I should go back to a doctor, and if so, who. Are these things not moving? One of my gaming buddies had to have his surgically removed, and they weren't any bigger than mine. He said they just wouldn't pass no matter what. Are there suddenly 45 of these things instead of one? What test is going to catch that?

I started out wondering why this was such a big deal and assuming I just got lucky. At this point I realize I didn't get lucky at all, and I'm wondering when (and by "when" I really mean "if") this nightmare is ever going to end. Is having sudden severe pain the new norm? My sister has these chronically. If I've suddenly got a small troop of them, where did they come from, and how the [bleep] can I make them go away? Or at least know when they're gone...

OK, I've woken up my parents with having lights turned on. :( But I'm starting to feel a little better, which is nice. I'm sitting up with the laptop on my lap now... improvement! I assume the meds are either kicking in or else another stone is dropping into my bladder, which is when these things are supposed to stop hurting. Or perhaps it's just not moving anymore. I'm not picky.

Yep, it's the pain meds! I better go before I start typing about purple watermelons ice skating at a luau.  :P
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
Re: kidney stones
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday July 25, 2012, 01:56:04 AM »
Wave of pain from about 1 until 7 today. slept off and on. at 8 i woke up feeling OK but scared to move in case the ok went away.

I'm so sick I can't use the shift key lol.
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday July 25, 2012, 07:05:27 PM »
Pain woke me up at 6 this morning. I popped a pill apiece for pain and nausea. By 6:30 I was dry sobbing with a combination of pain and frustration, but that didn't last for long before the two pills knocked me out.

My alarm woke me up at 8, and I deduced that between fogginess and just plain not knowing if I was going to be in excruciating pain at any given point in time, I had to call in sick to work. I hate that!

Woke up at 1 and was fine. Still am fine. I called the nurse on my sister's recommendation. Naturally, she was too busy to talk to me, so I left a message asking for any sort of information at all. I expect I'll get a call back tomorrow telling me that there's no way to know how much longer this is going to take, if I get a call at all.

I feel so guilty feeling fine now after skipping work. But even if I had Mama drive me to my kid's house, I don't know if I could have thought straight enough to help him. :(

Kathy said on Facebook she had one of these for 2 months. Two months! I asked her how she was able to work...

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday July 25, 2012, 11:25:03 PM »
Now have shooting pain in the bladder instead of the kidney. I'm not sure if I'm feeling optimistic enough to take that as good news, but I did think it worth a mention.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
« Reply #4 on: Thursday November 02, 2017, 01:44:33 PM »
Hello Bamawing.  Nothing new on this thread for five years seems to indicate you are no longer troubled by these stones.  I hope that is the case and that it didn't require surgical intervention.  I am no urologist, but having had friends with similar intractable problems, I was determined to attempt whatever preventions I could devise.

It is of no inconvenience for me to pee into a 500 gram beaker (the maximum amount I am likely to express in a single sample).  The questions are, what is one to look for, how to look, and why.  The why is simple: to stave off potentially preventable difficulties necessitating professional attention or even surgical procedures.

Almost always, in any kind of empirical research I do, I do not know with any certainty, what exactly I am looking for, and I try to retain that mindset even when I start to focus in on something specific.  That is look at the entirety as much as possible without previous expectations of what you observe.

You know from a lifetime of experience, even when you were not giving it your analytic attention, that your urine stream is usually a clear or fairly transparent liquid of a fairly uniform faint characteristic odor.  Generally you have observed this sample for seconds with little real attention, and the sample disappears in the gurgle of the flush.  End of story.  But using your various senses, this can be the beginning of more understanding.  That greater understanding can very easily prevent very disagreeable episodes of whatever it is that ails you, before it ails you.

Imagine I have collected intermittent samples, from various times of day; before meals; after a full nights sleep; stressful times; partying... and if you overindulge in some fashion, does that have some impact or other on the post-activity sample?

Most samples show nothing immediately remarkable out of the ordinary.  Just note whether that seems to be the case most of the time, which is good, and then go on to discover what you can in the samples with irregularities.  The anomalies.  But be aware that you are now looking with greater attention and depth.  Of course you are going to see things that you have never seen before.  Don't let that alarm you unduly unless it happens a lot.

I personally look for turbidity of any sort, inclusions, lipids on the top surface of a standing sample.   More later.  The sun rises.  Sleep beckons.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis