Author Topic: Another pompholyx here :|  (Read 12114 times)

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
Another pompholyx here :|
« on: Sunday July 01, 2012, 01:50:19 PM »
Hello, everyone. It's nice to meet you. :D

So two days ago I finally found out the name of this condition I'm in -- Dermatitis.
Today, I think I found out which variant I'm in -- Pompholyx.

Thank goodness for the internet.
This is my second time having this, after....10 years? :(
My first time having this...wonderful condition was in elementary school. It was 'fun'. >_>; Especially since my classroom doesn't have an AC back then. The things I'd shed blood for gloves! It didn't go treated as it should, and it ended....painfully.
I'm so happy now I can know the reasons; and this wonderful community.

It started when it's only few itchy spots in my right middle finger. I admit my slowness of reaction.
I only reacted when it starts growing around, and down across the palm. Have been applying topical cream (Desonide and Neomycin Sulphate) around for three days; it took care of the itch as long as I don't really touch anything and the vesicles didn't 'grow'....which is good. But they still spread. Which is very bad. My skin feels all bumpy; the vesicles visible are only the ones around the original spot, (Random : amongst others, there are 3 vesicles located nearby. Hopefully they aren't joining. Hopefully.) but there are inflammations and itchy red spots around both my palms and both feets.

And the itch; oh, the itch. One scratch and it took a lot to separate that spot from everything I'm touching....The itch; the pleasure completely justifies scrubbing it all until the skin were all thoroughly cleaned; blood or no blood. Oh yes it does. (Not that I did it.)

But enough of the angst :P I have some questions....

First of all, how good lemon / lemon juice are for pompholyx treatment? I searched the internet and it's said that lemons and vinegars are good for contact dermatitis; but changing the keywords into pompholyx offers the opposite instead (wear gloves when peeling them). I know that ACV is a potential cure (asked someone to buy it; hopefully hopefully it exists..) but what about lemons?

And what about alcohol? Will popping the blisters then applying alcohol on them prevent further infection? Or will they make it worse?

Secondly, will working / doing ordinary activities exacerbate them? I have no doubts about the itch, but what about the vesicles? Will they grow? Will they spread?

Thirdly, during the first one I remembered after some time to having a tingling / jolting sensations randomly around the back, armpits, and the nape of the neck. It happened the worst when I'm sweating and/or holding the urge to go Job on the blisters; but other times it's happening either way. This condition persists even after the blisters have stopped, if I'm not mistaken. I had tried to go to a doctor about those; but I don't remember what is it about; stress? Or...I dunno, really.
Just this afternoon I feel it happening again once, and thus I'm alarmed.

Anyone ever had the same thing?Searching the Internet for possible causes offered nothing, in terms of dermatitis. Which is weird because I'd never had the same situation exactly during that time, and when they do disappear, the pompholyx does and both hadn't appeared again...until now.

Fourth, what happened when the blisters stop, really? Will they always go dry and scaley, regardless of whether we scratch / pop the blisters or not? Thanks to the thing described above I don't really remember what happened back then....because I was too busy dealing with that -- and other issues as well.

Thank you so much for the patience, and in advance for the help.

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
Re: Another pompholyx here :|
« Reply #1 on: Sunday July 01, 2012, 02:20:16 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum!

I can't offer much advice on the hand front, since I had pompholyx on my feet, but apple cider vinegar really helped kill the itch. I'm sure it'd work on fingers too.

Eventually, I think, the blisters dry out, and the skin peels off, leaving fresh skin underneath. Scratching just means the skin is exposed before its ready.

I do recall that the cold helps too. I kept the vinegar and a pair of socks in the fridge. It was bad in the winter once, so I was wearing sandals outside when there was snow on the ground. That really helped! Maybe a chill pack would help you?

Matt.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday July 01, 2012, 03:50:04 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum!

I can't offer much advice on the hand front, since I had pompholyx on my feet, but apple cider vinegar really helped kill the itch. I'm sure it'd work on fingers too.

Eventually, I think, the blisters dry out, and the skin peels off, leaving fresh skin underneath. Scratching just means the skin is exposed before its ready.

I do recall that the cold helps too. I kept the vinegar and a pair of socks in the fridge. It was bad in the winter once, so I was wearing sandals outside when there was snow on the ground. That really helped! Maybe a chill pack would help you?

Matt.
Thank you! I am typing now with a finely marinaded hands. The smell is amazing.
The itch really do disappear. That's pretty awesome! Will they dry quicker too?

I see. I think I'll try to keep my perseverance intact..for now. Scratching now will lead to irritated skin, I think.

Would this sort of regime work?

ACV >> I have to do this limb by limb because my limbs are unfortunately big.
then the cream;
occassionally tapping with lemon when it's itchy;
before reapplying ACV?

I've read that I should do it four times a day..... If so, then how long would be the best time gap before reapplying ?

Of course, if I'm at work, it's cream all day long.

A chill pack; that sounds like a good idea! Let's see if I can find one...or I'll just make a makeshift one. >_>;

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #3 on: Sunday July 01, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »
I only used the ACV when the itching was bad. Don't use it on sore skin - it will burn!

I'm not sure about drying things up quicker, but I think it does, from what others have said.

its certainly worth trying a chill pack.
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Monday July 02, 2012, 06:14:57 AM »
So I went to a doctor today. Quite a good, understanding lady; she seems to agree that what I have might be pompholyx.

She gave me some corticosteroid; clobetasol propionate, to be exact. And another drug that I don't know what (didn't have it yet; is going to buy one)

She also said to discontinue the ACV treatment.

Now I've researched a bit and I can see why the clobetasol propionate aren't supposed to be used frequently (2 times! Oh, the itchiness), but is the discontinuation necessary? Should I follow?

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Monday July 02, 2012, 06:07:23 PM »
Reading around the clobetasol propionate, it's said in numerous articles to avoid using it too wide / too much, to avoid side effects.

On the other hand, currently my infected areas are both palms and feets...are they wide -enough-?
.....The substance itself seems to be a very potent one, so I'm a bit paranoid.

Today, I applied on both palms and feet; but I wonder, should any precautionary measures be taken?

And for the drug; I was given a Fexofenadine HCL, which seems to help when paired together with clobetasol propionate; as far as I'd heard. >_>
But.....

Ugh, drug taking scares me a lot.

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #6 on: Monday July 02, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
So sorry for double posting; just that...

http://lifeasacanary.blogspot.com/2011/08/dyshidrotic-eczema-in-photos.html
I want to look at it tomorrow, I think. Looks like a thorough description of pompholyx.

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday July 05, 2012, 03:36:11 AM »
Hello again, everyone! Good to see that verification board has gone-- is it a new member feature?

I'm happy to report a good progress on my Pompholyx...so far. The vesicles have so dried so much a lot aren't exactly visible (but still feel rough and hard, if feeling by skin); and they aren't peeling.

For day one, it's two times Clobetasol and two Fexofenadines.
For day two, it's two times Clobetasol and one Fexofenadine.
For day three, it's one time Clobetasol and one Fexofenadine.

Especially noticeable during day three was the itchiness; they went back in some parts *mostly around the edges*. They are still manageable, but still far more frequent and obvious.
I think today I'm going to revert to two and two. Going to take care of it thoroughly. I've heard around that sometimes the blisters came back after the steroid cream stopped...hopefully not. D:

But that tingling sensation described up above went back. It really feels like a sudden jolt, or perhaps a sudden tingling feeling of being prickled by needles. However it was confined around my hands as opposed to everywhere across my body. Thinking about it... back then, I did have the blisters everywhere, from the lower arm to the back to the chest....in a lesser concentration than I did now. Now I really wonder if it's the same thing...

That, and I noticed during the treatments that my weight has been rising quite fast...even without much change in dietary. I understand that maybe it's lack of activities + the rest of the change in dietary *pats pancake*, just...putting that out. In the link above the writer also noticed the same thing, and postulated a theory (basically, pompholyx >> Allergy >> increased water retention >> weight gain). Does everyone noticed the same thing?

And hair loss. This whole week my hair has been falling off a faster rate than usual. I don't know if it's just unfortunate timing (my brother has a hair loss case during my age), or it has a direct correlation.

I've been looking around. I have grapeseed oil bought for acne treatment; might use it for moisturizer for the next part. Will also trade some of it for a sea kelp bioferment from my friend.... for the hair loss; but I'll maybe try using them for moisturizer as well. But that's still few days later.

Honestly? This whole matter has been reteaching me how to be more observant with my recent happenings... for better or worse. I was in a 'figuring-my-future' phase.... D:

Let's see what happens.

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #8 on: Thursday July 05, 2012, 12:39:16 PM »
The verification thing is related to the number of posts you make. It's designed to make things difficult for spammers.

Sorry I've been quiet. I was on vacation and my mobile phone provider tinkered with something and broke it :-\

Glad the meds seem to be working :-)

Not sure about the other symptoms though. Maybe Google might throw up something.

Matt

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #9 on: Sunday July 08, 2012, 01:41:23 AM »
That's alright! I appreciate the care very much. Yeah, the feature does make sense. :)

Yesterday, I was hit by a sudden train of stress.
Today.. I saw another red spots. Around my the edges of both my palms; near the wrist.
It's also getting itchier. Applying clobetasol now.

What does this mean.

Have read that stress exacerbates, not creates; dermatitis / pompholyx. Is this one such case?
It's highly possible that it's already been there and I just don't notice it...but the itchiness.

Have checked Google; both weight gain and hair loss does not arrive to anything. So either this is a specialized case; or it's really something unrelated.

Will update more!

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #10 on: Monday July 09, 2012, 06:02:25 PM »
Wow, that's a ton of information! We don't really mind a lot of double-posting here, for this very reason: some of our members are really open with what is working when, and that's wonderfully helpful for the next person who comes along.

Yes, the pins and needles feeling is familiar. (I have sympathy tingles!) For me this means blisters are thinking about forming, so it's time to keep my hands cool and break out the ACV if necessary. I used ice water sometimes on this pre-stage.

I had it on my fingers, so I understand. Mine never spread to my wrists, though, unless is was REALLY bad. I think it did once... I was tempted to lop both my hands off! It doesn't usually spread to the arms and back, though. Of course, everyone is different...

Another thought, since you said you were applying lotion. Lotion is my trigger. I applied it too, because your hands are all dry and cracking, but for me it immediately broke them out again. I haven't met anyone else who has this trigger, but if you're getting into a cycle (and it sounds like you might be) it may be worth looking into.

Good luck!!
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #11 on: Thursday July 12, 2012, 07:52:41 AM »
Wow, that's a ton of information! We don't really mind a lot of double-posting here, for this very reason: some of our members are really open with what is working when, and that's wonderfully helpful for the next person who comes along.

Yes, the pins and needles feeling is familiar. (I have sympathy tingles!) For me this means blisters are thinking about forming, so it's time to keep my hands cool and break out the ACV if necessary. I used ice water sometimes on this pre-stage.

I had it on my fingers, so I understand. Mine never spread to my wrists, though, unless is was REALLY bad. I think it did once... I was tempted to lop both my hands off! It doesn't usually spread to the arms and back, though. Of course, everyone is different...

Another thought, since you said you were applying lotion. Lotion is my trigger. I applied it too, because your hands are all dry and cracking, but for me it immediately broke them out again. I haven't met anyone else who has this trigger, but if you're getting into a cycle (and it sounds like you might be) it may be worth looking into.

Good luck!!

Thank you for your information! :D

It's very relevant, because that's the stages I'm in.
At this rate there are no vesicles left....but it's still not healed fully. Looking closer, faint, subtle, but definitely there swarms of red spots are visible.  I haven't bought any ACV yet so I kept relying to the clobetasol.

The pace have been like these for like, 4-6 days.
Faint subtle swarms of red spots are visible, on both lower palms.
OMGWHATISTHIS.
Applying clobetasol. 2 times.
Traces appeared to be gone. Phew.
The next day, I either forget / only applied it once.
The same thing happened.
OMG.

Just now, I saw another subtle trace...that appeared after I have to work and pick cardboards up.
Hmm.
Thinking about it, the lower part of my palms are often the parts getting pressed when I'm typing / browsing around my laptop and/or desktop.

I wonder if it has any correlation.

(As a side note, the ACV I bought was gone in 2 days. TWO. -_-; Of course, I used it on my feet as well, so no repeated uses..)
Time to bust out the ACV!

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #12 on: Thursday July 12, 2012, 03:38:20 PM »
Typing this with a cold hand, thanks to water + lemon mixture. Already got my ACV! \o/
I'd like to add about how grateful I am to found out that tingling feeling is not something...even worse.

I think the pompholyx got really, really worsened back then because I was treated only with talc powder. And an anti-itch cream....which goes off in about, an hour. So it spread from the back of the hand, to the palm, arm, the back....the torso... and the tingling feeling went there too.

Sympathy tinglings for everyone suffering these as well. ;)

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #13 on: Friday July 13, 2012, 03:20:02 AM »
Ugh, the back and torso? I would wonder if that was pompholyx at that point, honestly. Pompholyx usually stays on the fingers and toes... although like I've said a million times, everyone is different and you might just be crazily unlucky.

Trying to treat this with talcum powder sounds like trying to put out a wastebasket fire with pickle juice. Um, no.

And I wish you much cold for your hands. I know what it's like. :hugs:
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #14 on: Friday July 27, 2012, 05:08:10 PM »
So it spread from the back of the hand, to the palm, arm, the back....the torso... and the tingling feeling went there too.

Sympathy tinglings for everyone suffering these as well. ;)

Thanks for the sympathy, Tri.  :hugs:
Although I'd question if you really have Pompholyx or something else if it's traveling up your torso. Mine has reached up to my wrists and i THINK i've had an incident of it on my neck ONCE, but nothing creeping-like. We're all rooting for you, but this might be something else. I'd get a second opinion, or perhaps even post pictures for us to look at (although we are not doctors here!!!!!!!) :doh:
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday September 05, 2012, 09:17:56 AM »
So.....2 months going, and the pompholyx hasn't REALLY gone.
*sigh*

Here's the case, chronologically:

The tingle stopped. I forget exactly when, but it's around when my mental state is getting better.
The red rashes across my palm (I'm suspecting the soles of my feet as well, see below.) had not stopped / disappearing. Occasionally it did, only to reappear in another time. I still used steroid creams daily.
I -could- use ACV constantly but by doing that I couldn't get out from my room and life requires me to get out from it every now and then....
About last two weeks or so, -three- vesicles come out; one on the side of my right palm, one on my right palm (well, two, but one died quickly), and one on my left thumb.. It happened during periods of somewhat haunting stress-- and prolonged questions. The clobetasol cream does stop its growth, and one dried out pretty quickly, but two still sticks out aggravatingly until this moment. They don't itch, and it's fairly small (I doubt there's any liquid) but definitely noticable if you rub around it.

I tried to observe and so far, I only know these symptoms : a) there are faint red rashes (they sometimes go redder, I don't know why; the most suspicious factor is heat.), b) they itch when pressed. They aren't actively begging for it, but they definitely give an itch if they are pressed. (This is why I suspected it's also the case with the sole of my feet -- they have the same symptoms.

Another thing is that I'm taking iron supplements lately. I feel like I'm lacking iron (increased hair loss, anemia) these days even though I'm still getting iron in my diet (no red meats, but that's just..it.)

So I'm wondering about this part:
a) given the treatment I'm doing (mainly steroid creams + iron supplements), is it safe to get tested for allergies ? Will I get a false negative / positive?
b) And I'm also looking at dietary options, maybe changing how I eat; but I need to know what to omit first. Any suggestions on how I should test those? How long would the result show?

And that's my update. :D

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #16 on: Thursday September 13, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »
So random scattered thoughts;
I began to suspect one of my irritants is Cardboards and pressure on my palms. It's not entirely without doubts, though; I only made this hypothesis because I noticed the red rashes on my palms got more red after I carried some cardboards around.

How far does stress play in pompholyx? What kind of stress? Mental? Physical? Exhaustion? Depression? Ennui? Social? I think it would be different for most people :|

Does steroid cream heal --heal-- pompholyx, or did it just dry out the vesicles? What about ACV?

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #17 on: Friday September 14, 2012, 03:38:38 AM »
Skin thinning panic here.
This morning I saw that the palm of my hand turned-- a bit pale. Cue panic.
>___>
Apparently it's NOT, but I've been using clobetasol for about 2 months.. (5, in those two months, I think.) Given its potency..

That and, well, this faint rashes have been subtly bugging me. I wonder what is this.
The closer thing I checked around was contact dermatitis. Or, due to the cause, steroid rosacea; but rosacea seems to only appear in the face, not the palm. And it doesn't get as bad as some rosaceas does.... YET.
Can I have pompholyx -and- contact dermatitis at the same time?
But the rashes don't itch; nor do they burn, although yes, there was a period of not treating them, and guess what. The above-mentioned occurence of three (now two very stubborn) vesicles. At this point, one is beginning to thin out, and the other...stays the same. Grr. But that probably means that yes, if untreated, it can get worse.

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #18 on: Saturday September 15, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »
Trying to look at dermatitis in general: from wiki:
Dermatitis symptoms vary with all different forms of the condition. They range from skin rashes to bumpy rashes or including blisters. Although every type of dermatitis has different symptoms, there are certain signs that are common for all of them, including redness of the skin, swelling, itching and skin lesions and sometimes oozing and scarring. Also, the area of the skin on which the symptoms appear tends to be different with every type of dermatitis.
The symptoms of contact dermatitis usually appear at the site where the allergen got into contact with the skin.

So, yes, I still have dermatitis; pompholyx or not.
What?

I find it hard to pinpoint because apparently the allergic reaction does not always happen overnight.
But let's just pinpoint first..
Assuming that it is contact dermatitis; what are the things I commonly touched?
Doors, jewelries, beads, cardboards, keyboards, table, books, tablet
soap, perfume, shampoo, conditioner.
steering wheel, key, car.
Will try sleeping in more humidity.

I want to know the cause. So..allergen tests. Question is, when?
My work is still aplenty. Stress still abound. Lowered immune?

And steroid creams?
Studies have shown that long term use of topical steroid cream, often used to treat atopic dermatitis, can make the condition much worse. Total cessation of the use of topical steroid cream can lead to cure, although there is a period of severe 'rebound' between the cessation of the use of topical steroid cream and the cure.

UGH.
Should I stop and wait? (what if the itchiness increases OMG)
SHould I continue (what if the condition isn't cured and instead exacerbated and I entered dependency)

So many questions. So little answers.