Author Topic: Hand Eczema!  (Read 4839 times)

Offline acl2006

• Registered member
Hand Eczema!
« on: Friday May 25, 2012, 03:45:22 AM »
Hello.. I'm 22 years old and have never had eczema before until September of 2011. I'm confused as to why it hasn't appeared before then, but anyway, since September, I've been to the same dermatologist twice and a family doctor once. I've been prescribed prednisone, Clobex samples (the prescription costs too much to fill), and Olux-E. The creams, sprays, and foams haven't helped. The only thing that makes it any better is prednisone and that only works while I'm taking it. Once the prescription runs out and I'm out of pills, the itchy little bumps appear as if they had never went away. I'm desperate to find some sort of relief. I just graduated from nursing school and the fact that this is on my hands is difficult. I don't want to start my job search/interviews with these crusty, dry, and sometimes weeping sores on the hand I'm sure most will want to shake upon meeting. It has been 9 months straight with this only on the pointer, middle, and ring fingers of my right hand. What are the opinions of a steroid shot? Has it helped any of you? How long did the injection control your flare ups? I don't even know if I can consider mine a flare up since it has never went away! :(

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!!

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
Re: Hand Eczema!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday June 05, 2012, 05:31:45 AM »
Hey and welcome! Sorry I didn't see this sooner!

I don't have a lot of experience with eczema proper. But when my skin goes to the scary looking stage, I've noticed the magic words are "it's not contagious." Cold helps with the itch, and plenty of people have tried alternative medicine (diet changes seem to be a big help). Stress helps cause flares, so I'm betting that finishing up school and doing a job hunt hasn't helped.

We've been slow, but things are starting to perk up around here. Hope you get some advice from someone more knowledgeable than me soon!
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline itchyasaurus

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Friday June 15, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »
    Hello.. I'm 22 years old and have never had eczema before until September of 2011. I'm confused as to why it hasn't appeared before then, but anyway, since September, I've been to the same dermatologist twice and a family doctor once. I've been prescribed prednisone, Clobex samples (the prescription costs too much to fill), and Olux-E. The creams, sprays, and foams haven't helped. The only thing that makes it any better is prednisone and that only works while I'm taking it. Once the prescription runs out and I'm out of pills, the itchy little bumps appear as if they had never went away. I'm desperate to find some sort of relief. I just graduated from nursing school and the fact that this is on my hands is difficult. I don't want to start my job search/interviews with these crusty, dry, and sometimes weeping sores on the hand I'm sure most will want to shake upon meeting. It has been 9 months straight with this only on the pointer, middle, and ring fingers of my right hand. What are the opinions of a steroid shot? Has it helped any of you? How long did the injection control your flare ups? I don't even know if I can consider mine a flare up since it has never went away! :(

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!!

Hey your story sounds exactly the same as mine(blisters that start on right ring finger-heals up after a couple of months and then comes back). So I wondered if I could compare notes with you. I have also never had eczema in my life and I am 32.
    Here are some possible causes for me and I wanted to see if you had any similarities in what sparked yours off.

*I was taking 50mg of Sertraline/"Zoloft"/Lustral and it was increased to 100mg.

*I know this is bad, but I lanced a boil on my friends back, but the pus got onto my hand.

*I have had IBS for over 10 years, which I believe also lead to fungal infections like jock itch.

*I may have changed my washing powder, but that has NEVER been a problem before.

*I have also had a lot of stress, but again I have never had this effect from stress before.

So was wondering if you had any of the same things before you started to get hand eczema? If we can identify the cause then we have already done one better than most doctors.
    [/list]

Offline acl2006

• Registered member
    « Reply #3 on: Saturday June 16, 2012, 09:01:29 PM »
    - I have IBS too.. For about 8 years or so.

- I'm constantly stressed (was with school and now it's with studying for my license).

- Another thing with me is that I got married in August 2011 and moved into a brand new house. This eczema problem started after about a month of living here. That just seemed weird to me.

- I have been sick of this since it started and I'm sure you feel the same way, but I went to an allergist this week and he did some allergy testing. I've always had bad allergies since I was a little kid. I knew I was allergic to cats and dogs, but here's what the allergy testing told me I was allergic to as well:
                - wheat
                - corn
                - dust mites

- the doctor also prescribed me more Clobex, but told me to put it on my hands and wrap them in Saran wrap for 30 minutes twice a day. I've been avoiding wheat and also cleaning my house everyday (which I never did before). I've also been showering with gloves on. I've only been doing this since this past Tuesday and my hands are completely clear of those itchy bumps! My hands still itch a little due to the dry skin that is left behind, but Eucerin Hand Creme is helping with that.

Offline Jdamico612@att.net

• Registered member
    « Reply #4 on: Monday December 28, 2015, 02:58:25 PM »
    Any changes with your eczema? I have the same exact issue and take sertraline.. My hand is on fire right now and I'm desperate for a cure!