Author Topic: Skincell Facelift  (Read 41362 times)

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
Skincell Facelift
« on: Sunday February 05, 2012, 07:27:09 AM »
Dear Members,

As part of our Health On The Net certification, we are subject to audits by the HON team. We are having one right now.

As part of this audit, I decided to completely update the site front end at http://www.skincell.org.

One of the things I have noticed is that under the Skin Conditions section, we only have a limited number of entries. Some of the more common conditions, such as eczema, an rosacea are missing from the list. Also, some of the less common ones, such as LiGA are also missing.

So, here comes the request. ;D

If any members out there would like to contribute to our site, and really enhance it, I'd be grateful if they could write a short article about a condition that's not on the list.

The format of the article should be similar to those already there, although there are no hard and fast rules. Lengthwise, shouldn't be too long, although again, there's no strict rules on this.

Any article published will become the property of Skincell, and you will be listed as the author of the article on the site, either by a screen name, or by your real name, as you choose.

Anyone who's interested, please let me know, either by email, PM, or by replying to this thread.

Thanks for your time,

Matt
Administrator
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
Re: Skincell Facelift
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday February 08, 2012, 05:29:08 PM »
Sorry this took me so long! :P

Pompholyx is a skin disorder that usually occurs on the hands and feet. It has two stages. The acute stage has intensely itchy blisters filled with clear fluid. These give way to cracked, flaking skin. It is also known as dyshidrosis, housewife's eczema, or dyshidrotic eczema.

The blisters of the acute stage are generally small, but they may grow in size or combine to make larger blisters. The second stage lasts longer and may be chronic. It may be painful or relatively pain-free, but is unsightly.

While not an allergic reaction, pompholyx is more commonly seen in people who have allergy problems. It is believed to be genetically linked and is not contagious. It can be triggered by any one of a number of stimulants. Common triggers include water, household chemicals (hence the term housewife's eczema), sunlight, other skin infections such as athlete's foot, and reactions to allergies, particularly nickel. Stress will usually worsen the condition, and may be a trigger itself. Identifying and avoiding one's personal triggers is one of the most common and effective treatments.

Other treatments include soaks in potassium permanganate or apple cider vinegar. Some sufferers report relief with changes in diet, particularly watching nickel or avoiding processed foods. In some extreme cases a doctor may prescribe topical steroids. These should be used sparingly to minimize the risk of skin thinning.

As with most skin conditions, pompholyx affects different people in different ways. What works for one person may not work for another. Please refer to your dermatologist for any advice as to what could work for you.
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday February 22, 2012, 02:22:29 AM »
Just saw this. I will give it a shot for PPP when my brain is more active.....

You have done a great job on the front-end.  :up: :praise:

Jane
It's a good day when you laugh!

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday February 22, 2012, 04:39:07 AM »
Hi Matt

I just saw this thread as Jane let me know it was here. I am happy to do a piece on LIGA, I might even have something on the computer somewhere about it, will have a look and get back to you if you want me to do it ....

Cheers
Vicki

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday February 22, 2012, 06:13:59 PM »
Thank you very much ladies :)

Any contributions gratefuly received.

Just a note (more from the HON team) that if you want to reference / quote any material on the web, I have to put that down too. For the pre existing articles that were carried forward from the old site, I've referenced the article on patient.co.uk or the American NLM.

Matt
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
« Reply #5 on: Thursday February 23, 2012, 02:44:57 AM »
PPP (palmo-plantar pustulosis) is a Psoriasis cousin. It initially presents as small pustules on the hands and/or feet, or just one hand/or foot. If not treated the pustules can form into a 'stream' as they join together. Burst pustules produce a greenish/yellow substance often thought to be bacterial (because of the colour). PPP happens when immature skin cells come to the surface before maturity. In about 4 days vs about 28 is my understanding.

PPP is often confused by the sufferer as well as doctors, with Dyshidrotic Eczema aka Pompholyx. The difference is in the colour of the pustule/blisters contents. Pompholyx has clear blisters, PPP has yellow/green pustules. The colour of the pustules in PPP is clearly visible without them having burst.

Pustules need to be swabbed by a doctor or dermatologist; sent to a lab to be tested for both bacteria and fungus. The swab result will be negative for both bacteria and fungus. A swab is crucial for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Initial treatment is usually a steroid cream, and occlusion by wrapping the area with plastic wrap to increase by about 5 times the absorption of the product. Other topical treatments include tar as well as inhibitant Dovonex. Pustules burst, then crust over and peeling skin is the result. At this stage skin can often crack and form fissures. Heavy moisturizing cream goes hand-in-hand with a PPP diagnosis.

If the PPP is very stubborn and does not respond to topical treatments oral drugs are sometimes suggested. Oral drugs for this condition can have quite severe side effects, so discretion and knowledge is key. Sometimes oral antibiotics are prescribed. The dermatologist and patient should discuss all of these options.

As with many skin conditions each person is different and can present with different symptoms. Some people itch while others do not for example.

« Last Edit: Thursday February 23, 2012, 02:54:42 AM by CalamityJane »
It's a good day when you laugh!

Offline RubyS

• Registered member
Black Mold, Colloidal Silver, and Tinea Versicolor
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday May 09, 2017, 01:24:37 PM »
I have had tinea versicolor for the past year and a half. Have tried applying apple cider vinegar twice to three times a day and cutting sugar out of my diet, which slowed it down but did not stop it. Ketoconazole did not work at all for me. Neither did tea tree oil. Finally I started treating myself with
colloidal silver topically and orally 3 times/day (only low ppm colloidal silver is safe and effective to use) and within 4 days, no new spots grew, and the existing spots have started to fade very slowly (the sun's not helping too much)  I'm still continuing to take the silver after three weeks now, just to be sure that it won't come back, since summer is approaching, and I've even slowly introduced sugar back into my diet. I walk at least 1.5 hours a day in 27-30C heat and so far, knock on wood, even sweat and damp skin hasn't provoked any further outbreak. On the top of that, I have discovered and rectified the problem of black mold in my apartment:

This is very interesting - one of many articles on the effects of black mold poisoning :

http://inspectapedia.com/mold/Mold_Illness_Symptoms.php

My condition developed around a year after I moved into an apartment with black mold on its walls which I thought was  successfully removed after being sprayed with bleach a few times last spring and summer, but apparently bleach is by far NOT the most effective means to get rid of black mold. It kept coming back, not quite visibly but I would smell the  musky smell every now and then. That, over a year, was apparently enough to weaken my immune system, assisting in the overgrowth of TN, amongst other symptoms that can develop. It could be one reason that lots of people keep getting it back year after year. I strongly suggest everyone to check your home to see if black mold has a part to play in your skin condition.

Offline Angel love

• Registered member
Re: About Pompholyx Eczema/Dyshidrotic Dermatitis)
« Reply #7 on: Monday October 23, 2017, 10:51:30 PM »
Hello I never wrote about my condition or really talked about it but I think it is necessary especially finding out it worked for me.
Okay here’s my story: I am 31 and have had eczema since I was 5 that’s when it was diagnosed I had it between my legs under arms back of legs everywhere, I’ve used everything under the sun. About 3 years ago I seen my hands breaking out like small pearl bumps with liquid inside on the palm of my hands and the back of my hands, I also wash my hands a lot because I’m a CNA and use all types of soaps and things like that. I went to the doctor he gave me Corticosteroid, and it helped !! Yay but only for a week then my body got use to it and so it stoped working, so I was back at square one, I looked up things like Aloe Vera and vitamins but nothing worked my hands hurt soo bad I had to call of work many times and it was embarrassing like I had a contagious disease. So one day I was so lazy after using the restroom I used my Cetaphil to wash my hands and I remember my hands not itching after washing them so for a week straight I used this stuff for my hands and it really cured my eczema up. I had, had that bottle forever and felt like it didn’t work for my face so I took it from under my sink to wash my hands with and it worked after I ran out of it I used the off brand and I add some water to it and I use it as soap. My hands have been clear now for over 3 months. PLEASE TRY THIS IT WORKED FOR ME.
« Last Edit: Monday October 23, 2017, 10:56:36 PM by Angel love »