Author Topic: hernia repair that failed  (Read 7268 times)

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
hernia repair that failed
« on: Monday September 26, 2011, 08:29:45 AM »
Hello, :hi:
Most of you know me, I found this web site when my tonsils had to come out some 7 years ago.
Well now I am having trouble with a hernia that JUST WILL NOT HEAL. The doctor tried a man made mess to fix the hernia two times now and both have failed. So now I am going for my third repair in one year.
This repair unlike the other two will be done with biological mesh. And also instead of just placing the mesh over the hole in my stomach wall the doctors will close the hole and then put the mesh on, now this is important, the mesh will go on the outside of my stomach wall, not on the inside. The reason that putting the mesh on the outside is that it can not get tangled in my bowels like the first one did.
 By the why the tangled mesh really hurt! And messed up my whole month this past spring! :shake:
I will have this repair done on 9/30/11, this Friday. The doctors say it will take six hours to repair :o. And I will stay in the hospital for about ten days :'(. I will come home with a binder on (that will stay in place for about a month) and a drain that will stay till the doctors think it can come out.
I will be sleeping in my chair for some time, because I am not aloud to lie flat because it will put too much tention on the incision.
This is one of the good parts to this whole thing

I Get a tummy tuck with this repair.
The doctor does not want anything touching the incision line so he will remove my extra tummy skin.
So I will keep you all informed on how this all goes. And if anyone has any ideas on how I can sleep in my bed and not my chair that would be most helpful.
Thank you,
mnmmom
there is good in everyone you just have to look for it. and some times you have to look really hard.

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
Re: hernia repair that failed
« Reply #1 on: Monday September 26, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »
 :'(
I just spoke with the dr. office and even tho my ins. will pay them in-network. The dr wants the most money he can get so he is billing me as out of network. That can cost me up to 33,000.00 dollars.
I do not think I will be having this repaired anytime soon and not close to home either. The next closest dr that will even try this is 65 miles away in New York City.
Well I guess I will start looking for new drs. now.
mnm
there is good in everyone you just have to look for it. and some times you have to look really hard.

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday September 28, 2011, 03:19:19 AM »
I'm so very sorry to read that. It is incomprehensible to me, and so unfair. Please post again when you have more news.

:hug:

Jane
It's a good day when you laugh!

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday September 28, 2011, 09:53:35 AM »
Thanks

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #4 on: Thursday September 29, 2011, 07:42:20 PM »
well the drs. and I got everything worked out, so i am having the surgery 9/30 tomorrow. Am I ready No, but I will have it done anyway.
Wish me luck
mnm

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #5 on: Saturday October 29, 2011, 07:35:52 AM »
Well It is almost a month scince I had the repair. I still have the drains in (2) and I have a wound that is about 5inches long and is very deep. It has stayed in the fat layer but still I have to have a nurse come everyday to change the dressing.
The repair went well it took 7 hours to finish. The Drs. could not find the old mesh that had failed. How do you loose a 8X11 peice of cloth with blue and white stripes on it.
But they did find it and the Drs. removed 23 pounds of  flesh to remove the hernias. I now have no navel. But I do have no more hernias  ;D
I am still is a good amount of pain which is no fun but the Dr. is giving me something to take the edge off.
I am still to do nothing but sit walk and laydown. but that is okay because it hurts enough so I don't want to do anything elce.
Oh I almost forgot I am aloud to shower. It is way to much work but it is nice to be clean.
I will write soon,
mnm mom

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #6 on: Friday November 25, 2011, 06:19:22 PM »
Wow, what a story!!! I'm sorry it took me so long to read it... I've been very lax lately. :(

I'm glad you finally got that taken care of, though. And by now, you're probably feeling much better. (It took me forever to get over my surgery, so I can relate a little.)
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline mnm mom

• SkinCell God
« Reply #7 on: Saturday December 17, 2011, 03:38:13 PM »
Thank you Bamawing,
Well it is almost 12 weeks scince the repair and the incinion is healed. But I still have a drain. Now I am back to no shower just a sponge bath. The new drain can't get wet. It only hurts if I sneeze, so that is good. And I have lost 40lbs!!! total so far so that is great!! I now love my corset, I feel wrong with out it. Oh and corset are a good way to lose weight too because there are so tight you can't eat much Ha Ha.
I hope soon I will get rid of the drain and then I can get back to the pool and swim. to get back into shape.
I hope everyone has a great Christmas!
mnmmom